The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2016, 12:37 PM   #1
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I think of Tudor has their own brand with their own identity. Though Rolex is their parent brand, in the modern context I see little resemblance. Tudor has stayed truer to the practical tool watch genre, and Rolex has gone the way of luxury. I may be over simplifying it a bit.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 12:47 PM   #2
2focus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 116900
Turning their noses up at Tudor is already more dignity they can afford to the new Air King. Some members here take it as a personal insult that there are people who might actually like that model.
2focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 12:51 PM   #3
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2focus View Post
Turning their noses up at Tudor is already more dignity they can afford to the new Air King. Some members here take it as a personal insult that there are people who might actually like that model.
I myself am guilty of saying I think the new Milgauss is ugly! I guess there is a fine line between expressing your opinion and being negative towards someone's new acquisition. A proper thread for everything it would seem is the best answer. While I might say I find it ugly in a thread discussing the new Milgauss I should hold my tongue in an incoming thread !
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:22 PM   #4
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2focus View Post
Stick around a while. Someone "cool" will buy the new AK, which I hate btw, and then everyone will start liking it. That half blue DSSD was much maligned when it came out and now everyone loves it.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
That half blue DSSD was much maligned when it came out and now everyone loves it.
True enough.
I remember referring to it as the Deepseaweed because of the green printing on the dial.
I have to admit that is was a detractor at first based upon the press release pics. The watch sort of had a gimmicky aura about it and everything else surrounding it.

Then I saw one in real life at the local AD and I realized I was so(and wrongly) prejudiced about it.
To me the watch stands on its own merits and exceeds the marketing hype.

I say disregard the prejudice and wear whatever one likes.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:36 PM   #6
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
True enough.
I remember referring to it as the Deepseaweed because of the green printing on the dial.
I have to admit that is was a detractor at first based upon the press release pics. The watch sort of had a gimmicky aura about it and everything else surrounding it.

Then I saw one in real life at the local AD and I realized I was so(and wrongly) prejudiced about it.
To me the watch stands on its own merits and exceeds the marketing hype.

I say disregard the prejudice and wear whatever one likes.
Oh I do - I still can't stand the derp sea.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Smarties
"TRF" Member

I've seen some snob acted like that.....

By the same token....., Rolex is not the most expensive watch brand in the market and the reason people buying Rolex is because they don't have money to buy PP/AP, etc......blah blah blah.....

Anyway, Tudor is a good brand with engineering backing from Rolex. Great bang per buck. I like BB and Pelagos. Planning to buy 25600TN for my birthday next month!
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 12:59 PM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Let people think what they want, although Tudor doesn't appeal to me personally (just not to my liking) they are exceptional timepieces. The idea someone would choose a Tudor because they don't have enough money to purchase a Rolex is Bullderdash. I know several people here on the forum that wear Tudors, and their finances are such they could afford any and several Rolexes.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Big Jay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 14060M
On here: I haven't seen a single negative comment regarding Tudor/Explorer models.

Out in the world: To 99% of the people we encounter, a watch is a watch. The only time people tend to perk their ears is if they see "Rolex" on the face. That's the only time people may overlook a Tudor.

I personally love the Pelagos and BB. The Explorer isn't my style but neither is a DD.

I think the Sub no date thing is silly. I bought my ND 2 liner because I wanted the absolute most sterile pure Sub I could find.
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:16 PM   #10
rle737ng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Tudor makes some nice models. I have a North Face and love it.
rle737ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:22 PM   #11
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
I've seen a LOT of Tudor (and ALL Rolexes) love here on TRF!
I think it's ok when doing polls and asking opinions that people can AND SHOULD state their opinions.
But this is only someone else's preferences.
Ultimately get, love and enjoy watches that move you and don't worry what others think.
But if you do polls and ask for people's advice and opinions, be prepared for some straight talk and honest answers (at least to the poster).
This is a forum and people should be allowed to express their preferences and opinions, which of course is not the same as blatant bashing and trolling which definitely should not be permitted.
I've noticed the moderators have a very discerning eye for the latter and banning the offenders.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I love my Black Bay black. It's probably my most valued watch. Although I don't disagree with what josh is saying, I also have not seen almost anything but support for Tudor on the forum. There's been a huge following and admiration for Tudor here at least within the past couple years I've been really tuned in.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:44 PM   #13
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There are a lot here that look at watches thru Rolex blinders.
That's said. There a whole world of fine watches out there.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:22 PM   #14
japenney
"TRF" Member

Hey guys. I can see now that this thread was not necessary just to point out a few bad apples. We have an amazing community here. Perhaps this thread generates some positive discussion anyway. Well I'm off to bed after a long night shift. Have a great day everyone.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 11:27 AM   #15
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Hey Josh, That's a nice Blue you have there! I was thinking about getting one but was worried about the titanium weight being a little light. How does it feel to you?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 11:29 AM   #16
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Hey Josh, That's a nice Blue you have there! I was thinking about getting one but was worried about the titanium weight being a little light. How does it feel to you?
It is light. 110grams if I member correctly. A sub is 150. It does feel light compared to the sub. However light also = more comfort in this case.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 20 August 2016, 11:32 AM   #17
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
It is light. 110grams if I member correctly. A sub is 150. It does feel light compared to the sub. However light also = more comfort in this case.

Sent by my pet Gekko
According to someone on Watchuseek, the Pelagos is around 144g, depending on the number of links:

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 11:35 AM   #18
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
According to someone on Watchuseek, the Pelagos is around 144g, depending on the number of links:

Perhaps I was misinformed. Although it does feel much lighter than a submariner and I was under the impression that the sub was 150grams give or take.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 5 August 2016, 01:46 PM   #19
Smarties
"TRF" Member

There're watches at different price point. They're for different style/activities/purpose.

Tudor is a no fancy and practical brand that I admire!

I wear Omega, Seiko, G-Shock, and Rolex. And I love them all.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:52 PM   #20
S0041464
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
People looking down on Tudor and "starter rolex models"

Did you listen to them? Who are you trying to make happy?
Love the explorer for reasons you said. Even your snow flake pictured. Personally I would like the north flag one day.
Also I think it's funny you heard that about the sub? The added date window is not that unattainable when comparing the cost of non date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S0041464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:54 PM   #21
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
When I was @Marthas Vineyard 2 years ago a guy told me Tudor is for people that cant afford a Rolex .....that is not true I have a Rolex and I actually want a bronze Tudor so some people are not educated but I forgive them.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 02:00 PM   #22
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don't really recognise this, see a lot of incoming Tudor threads which receive lots of positive responses. Same for the Submariner, much liked here
Old 5 August 2016, 02:16 PM   #23
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
When I was @Marthas Vineyard 2 years ago a guy told me Tudor is for people that cant afford a Rolex .....that is not true I have a Rolex and I actually want a bronze Tudor so some people are not educated but I forgive them.
There are many "pretentious" people out there who try to put other people down for no good reason and pretend they are better than others. Don't let these people get to you. Tudor makes some great watches and even the least expensive Rolex watches are made to very high Rolex standards.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 02:27 PM   #24
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I see it from time to time.

We can't say because it's completely hypothetical, but I imagine things would be very different if Tudor was not owned by rolex. If it was its own brand.

Never been a fan of Tudor personally, but what we do see a lot more of is every other brand being disregarded when compared to rolex. Most people here are fairly supportive of Tudor.

Wear what you like and don't be worried about what others have to say.
Old 5 August 2016, 05:25 PM   #25
ColdFusi0n
"TRF" Member

"explorer 1 and no date sub being something you only buy if you cannot afford a sub or date version"

Wow that is one of the most ridiculous statement someone could ever say. It probably came from someone who is too negative yet envious because they couldnt afford one.

In my opinion the Explorer 1 is a very simple and casual watch for everyday use, just like a stainless steel Date Just. As for the sub, man i always loved the No Date Submariner especially if it has a Nato strap on. Besides, the no date and 16613 sub are around the same value. No date sub is probably one of the most classy adventure - out door watch.

But at the end of the day, if someone judges a person's self worth from the watch they wear then its rather sad. There will never be someone who has the best watch. A rolex owner might look down on a Tudor or Tag Heuer owner but remember, there will always be another mountain higher..have you heard of AP, Patek Phillipe, Richard Mille..at the list goes on.
ColdFusi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 05:48 PM   #26
sitka39
"TRF" Member

Tudor is awesome. Maybe some people are just envious...
sitka39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:31 PM   #27
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Josh, who cares what others think and say. I recall you sold your stunning BLRO because you thought it was too flashy at work or as a daily. Correct me if I am wrong, but that lead you to buying the Tudor and whatever else you are buying. Now, you get some snot telling you these negative remarks of your new purchases that I see you adore. Enjoy what you have, my father always said, people are not always happy of your successes, but are ecstatic of your failures. So, enjoy what you have, be faithful in your own decisions and aim to please yourself. Don't worry about anyone else, otherwise you will be constantly second guess yourself your whole life.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:34 PM   #28
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Josh, who cares what others think and say. I recall you sold your stunning BLRO because you thought it was too flashy at work or as a daily. Correct me if I am wrong, but that lead you to buying the Tudor and whatever else you are buying. Now, you get some snot telling you these negative remarks of your new purchases that I see you adore. Enjoy what you have, my father always said, people are not always happy of your successes, but are ecstatic of your failures. So, enjoy what you have, be faithful in your own decisions and aim to please yourself. Don't worry about anyone else, otherwise you will be constantly second guess yourself your whole life.

Well said!
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:39 PM   #29
S0041464
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post

Easy to say but hard to do. A mantra worth reading each morning.

S0041464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:27 PM   #30
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I think the intentions of the post were good, but seems a bit dramatic. I can't recall ever seeing this, other than maybe people arguing if a Tudor is a Rolex.
Seems much ado about nothing...buy what you like
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote