The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2024, 07:40 AM   #31
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
This is why I stopped going to ADs. We should not have to follow up , kiss butt , buy multiple watches or bundle to get a watch. I started going gray and it saved me so much stress from the AD games. I don’t even go in Ads anymore I just walk past them watching the people in line going in to nothing. I will be honest here at one of my Ads at the mail I have sat at a bench from time to time and watched people as they went in store and started to smile until they found out the watches are not for sale. Time is money right ? I would rather waste time on something else spends a little more gray and be treated with some respect. At the end of the day I feel like even most Rolex at Ad prices are still a bargain when you look at what you are actually getting? Break it down over 10,20,30 years it’s not that bad. Best of luck on your watch
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 07:51 AM   #32
OTX
"TRF" Member

I don’t see it as ass kissing. I recently got my Sprite and I would say I spent an hour total at the AD talking and showing interest. Maybe a couple of emails so I can stay fresh on their mind. Bought the Sprite at MSRP. On the gray market, I would have paid $7000 more so I basically saved $7k for one hour worth of effort!. Totally worth it as far as I’m concerned. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the owner and I getting along real well!.

Sure you’re not guaranteed to get a watch but it doesn’t hurt to try. I also enjoy buying my Rolexes from an AD as it feels more special to me!. When I buy from an AD, I know I got the real deal and I was the first to wear the watch. However, I do understand how some people with no patience or tolerance for this kind of stuff will just go gray. Just depends what you’re comfortable with!.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 07:55 AM   #33
Carbon Brakes
Banned

I registered interest at a few local AD's. I got lucky at my current AD. YOUNG sales associate, we hit it off pretty good. He's even been to my house a couple times. He gets me pretty much any watch I want. Meteorite GMT, steel subs and GMT's. I have bought other Jewelry off him too. We are both young and its likely to be a long term relationship.
Carbon Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 08:10 AM   #34
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

When I go into an AD, I listen to 1/3rd and believe 1/9th.
Let’s step back a second, if it wasn’t for the fact that Rolex watches are in high demand and short supply, we would not even talk to most of these mental midgets. If people want to bring them chocolates and kiss their arse, go right ahead. Does this mean I will never get a certain piece I want? Yes it does. I can live with that.

So I go into Bucherer in the White Plains Mall from time to time. I ask for the last salesman who I dealt with. He/she no longer works here anymore. Rinse, repeat.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 08:54 AM   #35
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I find it most effective to stop by and purchase expensive jewelry or any high margin items. For example buying loose stones and having them set in a design that already came with stones as a custom order. If you do this often enough you’ll be able to get whatever watches you want from them.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 09:09 AM   #36
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The guys are right. Stop in and talk about watches, show interest in your SA’s life. Normal stuff. Once a month is about right. I only did this with one of the 2 ADs, to whom I gave my name and number. The other was too far away. It worked for me. Good luck

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank goodness I am satisfied with my Rolex collection, I can’t imagine going in to an AD, sucking up to some sales associate, making idle chatter, just for the privilege of lightening my wallet of $10,000.
And forgive me, but feigning interest in the life of your SA isn’t normal stuff to me. I know that’s what people do, I just can’t do it.
Old 7 February 2024, 09:12 AM   #37
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
A lot of bitterness in some of these responses. I can’t argue with anyone’s experience but mine is vastly different. I’ve purchased twelve watches at my local AD in the last eight years, six Rolex and six non-Rolex, all of which I wanted, and wedding rings. No jewelry I didn’t want, no pressure to buy anything and I’ve never waited longer than 4-5 months for a Rolex. The only effort I’ve made is to be kind and friendly and decisive in what I want. One SA retired after twenty-five years and the second and current SA hasn’t skipped a beat. I’m friendly but I don’t hover, I’m kind in my interactions, I text before I show up to make sure my preferred SA has time for me, I’ve never taken them donuts or chocolate or booze and I have not once kissed ass. I’m reliable and my AD has been reliable for me. It’s really not that hard to be friendly.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:21 AM   #38
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Following up with AD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
A lot of bitterness in some of these responses. I can’t argue with anyone’s experience but mine is vastly different. I’ve purchased twelve watches at my local AD in the last eight years, six Rolex and six non-Rolex, all of which I wanted, and wedding rings. No jewelry I didn’t want, no pressure to buy anything and I’ve never waited longer than 4-5 months for a Rolex. The only effort I’ve made is to be kind and friendly and decisive in what I want. One SA retired after twenty-five years and the second and current SA hasn’t skipped a beat. I’m friendly but I don’t hover, I’m kind in my interactions, I text before I show up to make sure my preferred SA has time for me, I’ve never taken them donuts or chocolate or booze and I have not once kissed ass. I’m reliable and my AD has been reliable for me. It’s really not that hard to be friendly.

I agree with this. I don’t consider showing interest in a Sales associate’s life kissing up, in any way. I merely treat the staff, at my AD, with the same courtesy and respect, as I would anyone else. They’ve been kind and inviting to me, and I merely reciprocate. I’ve never brought gifts, or even coffee. Now that some of you have mentioned it, maybe I should.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:22 AM   #39
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My experience as well. I visit around once/month to talk watches, baseball, family etc. They are all very pleasant conversations, and I have never done any "ass" kissing. I visit on the weekdays when they are less busy. If the store starts to get busy I'll take a back seat so the SA can engage with the other customers. I've never purchased any jewelry, or any watches I didn't ask for. Last Friday I picked up my grail watch (RG Daytona on OF) after only a little under a five month wait. In the past three years I have purchased seven watches from them, four of which were Rolex. Bottom line, it's a good business and personal relationship. I have been very good to them and they have been very good to me in return.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:26 AM   #40
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
Drop a hundred dollar bill in front of him, wink at him while maintaining awkward eye contact and silence. He will never forget you
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:34 AM   #41
KatGirl

Following up with AD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Thank goodness I am satisfied with my Rolex collection, I can’t imagine going in to an AD, sucking up to some sales associate, making idle chatter, just for the privilege of lightening my wallet of $10,000.
And forgive me, but feigning interest in the life of your SA isn’t normal stuff to me. I know that’s what people do, I just can’t do it.

See, that’s the thing. I am NOT feigning interest. I genuinely care about other people, and enjoy getting to know them, and hearing about their lives. Of course, I get to chat about watches, too, which I love to do. It’s a pleasure, for me. The fact, that it may help me get allocations, is just a bonus.

Kat

Old 7 February 2024, 11:43 AM   #42
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTX View Post
I don’t see it as ass kissing. I recently got my Sprite and I would say I spent an hour total at the AD talking and showing interest. Maybe a couple of emails so I can stay fresh on their mind. Bought the Sprite at MSRP. On the gray market, I would have paid $7000 more so I basically saved $7k for one hour worth of effort!. Totally worth it as far as I’m concerned. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the owner and I getting along real well!.

Sure you’re not guaranteed to get a watch but it doesn’t hurt to try. I also enjoy buying my Rolexes from an AD as it feels more special to me!. When I buy from an AD, I know I got the real deal and I was the first to wear the watch. However, I do understand how some people with no patience or tolerance for this kind of stuff will just go gray. Just depends what you’re comfortable with!.
I hear you! My very first AD purchase in the 2000's was a wonderful experience, but it's been progressively a downward spiral to the point I can't be bothered with the games. It shouldn't be that hard to spend so much money on a wrist watch. I've been finding joy instead on more readily accessible less expensive models from other brands. It's suppose to fun. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 12:14 PM   #43
KatGirl

Following up with AD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
When I go into an AD, I listen to 1/3rd and believe 1/9th.
Let’s step back a second, if it wasn’t for the fact that Rolex watches are in high demand and short supply, we would not even talk to most of these mental midgets. If people want to bring them chocolates and kiss their arse, go right ahead. Does this mean I will never get a certain piece I want? Yes it does. I can live with that.

So I go into Bucherer in the White Plains Mall from time to time. I ask for the last salesman who I dealt with. He/she no longer works here anymore. Rinse, repeat.

With all due respect, I think referring to Rolex AD staff as “mental midgets” is a “bridge too far”. There is no shame in being a Sales Associate, nor does having that job say anything about one’s intelligence level.

Kat

Old 7 February 2024, 12:55 PM   #44
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
With all due respect, I think referring to Rolex AD staff as “mental midgets” is a “bridge too far”. There is no shame in being a Sales Associate, nor does having that job say anything about one’s intelligence level.

Kat

That may be your experience, and it sounds great.
This has been mine, just reporting what I see.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 01:36 PM   #45
KatGirl

Following up with AD’s

I did not understand your response, Bill, but have a good evening.

Kat

Old 7 February 2024, 01:44 PM   #46
Flypanam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Kat

Yeah.. there's quite a bit of superiority complex in these comments. Lots of people talk like the SA's aren't real people. I agree with you that chatting it up with an SA can very well be enjoyable. If I'm enjoying myself, it's not a waste of my time. If I go to a hobby shop and talk to the employee there about the hobby I am interested in, am I sucking up and kissing ass?

"I'm not going to go kiss ass for the privilege of spending my own money". "I'm, not playing the game". You think you'll get a Rolex you want just for being a special princess and not putting in an ounce of effort to treat the SA like a human being, when there are other customers willing to do the "ass kissing" you think you're above doing? Hah. People need to get over themselves.

If that's how you view it, good for you. You can go buy an Omega with a 10% discount. Hell, get a F91W on Amazon for $15 and it'll tell time better than any Rolex.
Tudor: Pelagos 42 Blue; North Flag; BB GMT
Best of the rest: Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Grand Seiko Soko SBGA429; Breitling Chronomat 40 GMT
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 01:46 PM   #47
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
This is why I stopped going to ADs. We should not have to follow up , kiss butt , buy multiple watches or bundle to get a watch. I started going gray and it saved me so much stress from the AD games. I don’t even go in Ads anymore I just walk past them watching the people in line going in to nothing. I will be honest here at one of my Ads at the mail I have sat at a bench from time to time and watched people as they went in store and started to smile until they found out the watches are not for sale. Time is money right ? I would rather waste time on something else spends a little more gray and be treated with some respect. At the end of the day I feel like even most Rolex at Ad prices are still a bargain when you look at what you are actually getting? Break it down over 10,20,30 years it’s not that bad. Best of luck on your watch
Time is money, you say? Yet you find the time to sit on the bench outside the store watching others?

You are right though, having to suck up to a sales person isn’t my idea of fun but it it means getting the Rolex I want, so be it.

I think the whole process is just so alien because in many other stores the sales person is falling over themselves to please you.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 02:00 PM   #48
beemerboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
I visit monthly, as I did this past Saturday. If you read my incoming thread, you will see what happened. I had expressed interest in the TT Wimbledon, and I’m not even sure I was on the list. I tend to give them several options, when looking for a new watch. But, they knew I had tried the exact figuration on, more than once, recently, and that I expressed interest. When I go in, I never say, “Is it ready yet?”, or words to that affect. I go in to say hello, talk about watches, in general, ask the SA about family, talk about my own life, etc. I do like to look at the exhibition pieces, and try some on. After a pleasant visit, I leave. It’s about keeping yourself, and your face, in their mind, so they think of you, when an allocation arrives. My SA admitted to me, they sell to people they like, regardless of where they are on a list.

Kat

Semi-long time lurker here with minimal posts. For what it's worth, your posts are informative and well written especially from a practical viewpoint.

I'm nearing my 35th year wearing a Rolex and my interactions with AD's have been a mixed bag. Some helpful, some outright snobs. I ended up buying my second Sub from an out of state AD and never looked back.

Regardless of the eventual purchase, my preference is to establish a sound relationship with the local AD. I've stayed true to that stance for many decades and it's served me well when purchasing SUV's and motorcycles. In the case of motorcycles, I drive or ride 60 miles north to Denver for sales and service rather than doing business with the local BMW dealer.

Again, thank you KatGirl for your sound advice.
beemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 03:10 PM   #49
Drew.rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I've primarily worked with two AD's. I've been collecting for about two years and now own a James Cameron and a Submariner (No Date).

I found the one AD I prefer and now will only go to that one. Build a relationship, be personable, and just show face a little. No need to suck up to them. Just be yourself! nothing complicated to it. You'll get your watch. Watches are becoming more available.
Drew.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 03:36 PM   #50
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy View Post
Semi-long time lurker here with minimal posts. For what it's worth, your posts are informative and well written especially from a practical viewpoint.

I'm nearing my 35th year wearing a Rolex and my interactions with AD's have been a mixed bag. Some helpful, some outright snobs. I ended up buying my second Sub from an out of state AD and never looked back.

Regardless of the eventual purchase, my preference is to establish a sound relationship with the local AD. I've stayed true to that stance for many decades and it's served me well when purchasing SUV's and motorcycles. In the case of motorcycles, I drive or ride 60 miles north to Denver for sales and service rather than doing business with the local BMW dealer.

Again, thank you KatGirl for your sound advice.

Thank you for your very kind words, and you are quite welcome.

Kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 February 2024, 04:07 PM   #51
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m another satisfied customer. I’ve been a watch guy for close to 40 years and I met my current SA in 1997. Bought a few watches from him over the years, have followed him to new stores when he moved around, and yes I consider us friends.
Reconnected when he moved to a newly opened Rolex only Boutique. Since 2017 he has delivered five high demand SS models and I’m hoping for another this year. It’s not the best time to be a new Rolex customer but simply being nice might just net you a watch.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 04:48 PM   #52
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your AD is reliable for you as you’ve bought 6 non Rolex watches , you are a dream customer
Old 7 February 2024, 05:45 PM   #53
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
Your AD is reliable for you as you’ve bought 6 non Rolex watches , you are a dream customer

And I believe he said 6 Rolexes, too. He chose them all, because he wanted them all. A dream customer is one who treats AD staff, with the respect, that we all deserve. The SA’s have a difficult job. It must be hard for them to constantly feel like they are disappointing people, when they constantly have to tell customers they don’t know when, or even if, they can sell them the Rolex they want. Yet, at my AD, they are always welcoming, and smile when I stop by, just for a friendly chat. It’s always a pleasant experience, at least, for me.

Kat

Old 7 February 2024, 09:00 PM   #54
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
Time is money, you say? Yet you find the time to sit on the bench outside the store watching others?

You are right though, having to suck up to a sales person isn’t my idea of fun but it it means getting the Rolex I want, so be it.

I think the whole process is just so alien because in many other stores the sales person is falling over themselves to please you.

Me sitting at the mall is probably because I didn’t want to go to a store my wife was in haha. . No I’m not some rich guy making money every second of the day. I am far from that just a construction guy
I just relate wasting my valuable time going to Ads to I could be doing something more valuable with my
Time is what I meant. If that is your path you choose the Ad route I really hope you get your desired watch ! Best of luck

dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:20 AM   #55
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Yes, it is weird. You either go secondary market or suck it up and play this stupid game. Rolex and their ADs will continue this game for as long as they can. Supply/Demand or Faked Supply/Demand... No one but the ADs know.

I moved to a new area and would like a new watch. I have been to the store 1 time (their grand opening) and called 1 time. I just cannot bring myself to be like everyone else who treats the Rolex AD like their favorite bar/pub. The SAs know exactly what you are doing. You don't have to ask them where your watch is as they totally know why people keep visiting.

When I was in there I could tell right away the people trying to schmooze. They were really forcing a convo with the SAs, trying way too hard and it was so obvious. Also, how many articles of Rolex swag is too much to wear/have at one time while in an AD? Wow was the experience cringe inducing..

Some funny behavior that I noticed:

1. People with their sleeves rolled up to make sure the watch can easily be seen on the wrist.
2. Looking at every other brand first pretending they don't just want to run to the Rolex counter.
3. Watching them then go to the Rolex section and not look at any popular models while pretending to browse the Day Dates and other precious metal models. I guess I could settle for a Submariner or a Daytona.
4. Asking the dumbest questions to pretend they are interested or making the silliest statements to prove they know something about the Rolex brand.
5. Wearing another brand and talking about how much you love that brand but thought you might try a Rolex for a change.

I feel seen.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:38 AM   #56
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypanam View Post
Yeah.. there's quite a bit of superiority complex in these comments. Lots of people talk like the SA's aren't real people. I agree with you that chatting it up with an SA can very well be enjoyable. If I'm enjoying myself, it's not a waste of my time. If I go to a hobby shop and talk to the employee there about the hobby I am interested in, am I sucking up and kissing ass?
I totally agree.

The ppl talking down to sales reps and insulting their intelligence simply because of their job is not only gross but it makes me embarrassed to be associated with that crowd here.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:59 AM   #57
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

I find it very funny when reading numerous posts that people praise their AD for getting them a watch after just a few months then at the end of their post they reveal “ I’ve only known them for a few months and I bought my watch and OTHER JEWELLERY.” Yes the reason they got their watch isn’t down to their AD being a nice guy, or just hitting it off with them , you got the watch due to purchasing Jewellery which is only worth 30% of what you’ve paid for it
Old 8 February 2024, 06:16 AM   #58
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Following up with AD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Yes, it is weird. You either go secondary market or suck it up and play this stupid game. Rolex and their ADs will continue this game for as long as they can. Supply/Demand or Faked Supply/Demand... No one but the ADs know.

I moved to a new area and would like a new watch. I have been to the store 1 time (their grand opening) and called 1 time. I just cannot bring myself to be like everyone else who treats the Rolex AD like their favorite bar/pub. The SAs know exactly what you are doing. You don't have to ask them where your watch is as they totally know why people keep visiting.

When I was in there I could tell right away the people trying to schmooze. They were really forcing a convo with the SAs, trying way too hard and it was so obvious. Also, how many articles of Rolex swag is too much to wear/have at one time while in an AD? Wow was the experience cringe inducing..

Some funny behavior that I noticed:

1. People with their sleeves rolled up to make sure the watch can easily be seen on the wrist.
2. Looking at every other brand first pretending they don't just want to run to the Rolex counter.
3. Watching them then go to the Rolex section and not look at any popular models while pretending to browse the Day Dates and other precious metal models. I guess I could settle for a Submariner or a Daytona.
4. Asking the dumbest questions to pretend they are interested or making the silliest statements to prove they know something about the Rolex brand.
5. Wearing another brand and talking about how much you love that brand but thought you might try a Rolex for a change.

Why do you pay such close attention to people in watch shops?

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:20 AM   #59
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
I find it very funny when reading numerous posts that people praise their AD for getting them a watch after just a few months then at the end of their post they reveal “ I’ve only known them for a few months and I bought my watch and OTHER JEWELLERY.” Yes the reason they got their watch isn’t down to their AD being a nice guy, or just hitting it off with them , you got the watch due to purchasing Jewellery which is only worth 30% of what you’ve paid for it
Never purchased any jewelry from my AD. Never purchased a watch I didn't want. But just received my grail watch (RG Daytona on OF) in just a little over 4 months. Great relationship with my AD that I'm not ashamed of. Love visiting and talking watches, life, golf baseball etc. No different than the conversations I strike up at the guys in the pro shop at my golf course, or the sales clerk at my grocery store. It pays to be nice to people.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:23 AM   #60
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I find it funny that so many find that browsing in a shop and treating salespeople like human beings, and not as as servant, is somehow “demeaning.”

People must have some very fragile egos.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote