The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 December 2021, 09:20 AM   #31
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Do people really care what watch specific celebrity’s wear? Lebron and wahlberg are worth a fortune, it’s hardly relatable. Jay Z is on a different planet wealthy, anything that guy is doing is many leagues out of mine.
You posted then deleted your post about not knowing who anyone else is besides wahlberg, correct? This was going to be my response to:

LeBron james, arguably the best basketball player that ever lived, if not top three. He's also a philanthropist, and an entrepreneur. He has many time pieces, many of them quite expensive. He's worth over half a billion dollars.

Maluma, he is an extremely popular Latin artist. The guy is absolutely huge, and has a pretty impressive watch collection.

Strange that you don't know who Jay z, Sean Carter is ... He is a billionaire, entrepreneur, music mogul, and he has a contract with Tiffany & Co.

The other guy is a prince. He is wearing the op41. He is royalty, and you can catch him wearing timepieces that are very sought after, primarily he wears precious metals, his collection is valued at tens of millions of dollars. He's also a businessman entrepreneur.

The last lady has authored various Rolex books, pretty pricey actually. She is a watch dealer. She was raised by her parents, who were somewhat well off, and got her into watches. She has a website with a network of trusted resellers. She is on social media a lot. But I think ultimately she's mostly known for her Rolex books.

You mentioned Mark Wahlberg. It's funny that you could see Mark Wahlberg wearing an olive dial 5711, baguette bezel, valued at 800 or $900,000, or a 5990 Factory diamond limited PP worth a couple million, then you see him wearing this 5,000, or I should say $50,000 OP.

These photos say A LOT!
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:21 AM   #32
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
The flex for the OP 41 Turquoise is obviously more that "I was able to get one and you can't!", vs the actual watch reference itself.

Agreed. The watch is fine, that’s about the best that can be said about an OP. But you’re right, its about the “look what i have that you couldn’t get” crowd. Everything is “rare” or hard to get.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:21 AM   #33
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

50k OP 41 Tiff - Influencer Compilation Pic Heany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
You posted then deleted your post about not knowing who anyone else is besides wahlberg, correct? This was going to be my response to:

LeBron james, arguably the best basketball player that ever lived, if not top three. He's also a philanthropist, and an entrepreneur. He has many time pieces, many of them quite expensive. He's worth over half a billion dollars.

Maluma, he is an extremely popular Latin artist. The guy is absolutely huge, and has a pretty impressive watch collection.

Strange that you don't know who Jay z, Sean Carter is ... He is a billionaire, entrepreneur, music mogul, and he has a contract with Tiffany & Co.

The other guy is a prince. He is wearing the op41. He is royalty, and you can catch him wearing timepieces that are very sought after, primarily he wears precious metals, his collection is valued at tens of millions of dollars. He's also a businessman entrepreneur.

The last lady has authored various Rolex books, pretty pricey actually. She is a watch dealer. She was raised by her parents, who were somewhat well off, and got her into watches. She has a website with a network of trusted resellers. She is on social media a lot. But I think ultimately she's mostly known for her Rolex books.

You mentioned Mark Wahlberg. It's funny that you could see Mark Wahlberg wearing an olive dial 5711, baguette bezel, valued at 800 or $900,000, or a 5990 Factory diamond limited PP worth a couple million, then you see him wearing this 5,000, or I should say $50,000 OP.

These photos say ALOT

Ya i thought it was about the Instagram accounts i misunderstood. I didn’t know who any of the Instagram accounts were. I didn’t know it was Lebron but i saw his name and went, oh that’s him lol. I knew who most of those folks were, outside of the prince and Maluma.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:36 AM   #34
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

These photos say A LOT!
Sorry, but to me these sort of pictures only say a lot if you're 15 years old and really really impressed by 'celebrity' and/or gauche, overt displays of wealth. But that's just me, and it seems there's millions out there who lap that sort of thing up. Good luck to them.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:45 AM   #35
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Sorry, but to me these sort of pictures only say a lot if you're 15 years old and really really impressed by 'celebrity' and/or gauche, overt displays of wealth. But that's just me, and it seems there's millions out there who lap that sort of thing up. Good luck to them.
Oh yes, celebrity is beneath us. Somebody please ring up Rolex and tell them to quit using celebrities in their advertising, because nobody really cares what celebrities think, because, after all, they’re just gauche celebrities.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:48 AM   #36
tyguy74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-Blue
This site is going downhill fast. People need to grow up, stop living in fantasy lands
tyguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:50 AM   #37
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:

These photos say A LOT!

I’m not ashamed to say that I didn’t recognize a SINGLE one of these dudes and dudettes, for the very good reason that I really don’t give a damn about any of them or what they represent.

They are as lousy as paying 50K for a blue-dial OP , so-called Tiffany, that has actually nothing to do with the store it got its nickname from.

Old 24 December 2021, 09:51 AM   #38
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy74 View Post
This site is going downhill fast. People need to grow up, stop living in fantasy lands
Please remain kind, positive and light-hearted. Happy holidays
Old 24 December 2021, 09:52 AM   #39
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
I’m not ashamed to say that I didn’t recognize a SINGLE one of these dudes and dudettes, for the very good reason that I really don’t give a damn about any of them or what they represent.

They are as lousy as paying 50K for a blue-dial OP , so-called Tiffany, that has actually nothing to do with the store it got its nickname from.
If you don't know or recognize them, may I kindly ask why they are"lousy"?

Be well.
Old 24 December 2021, 09:55 AM   #40
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
Oh yes, celebrity is beneath us. Somebody please ring up Rolex and tell them to quit using celebrities in their advertising, because nobody really cares what celebrities think, because, after all, they’re just gauche celebrities.
As I said in my quoted post - there are clearly millions out there who lap it up for some reason, and if what a celebrity wears makes you want to wear the same thing, then good luck to you. I guess that means the celebs are earning their money in that case.

Alternatively there are many of us who honestly couldn't care less what anyone else wears, be they a celebrity or a random guy in the street.
Old 24 December 2021, 10:00 AM   #41
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Originally Posted by febie111 View Post
I am really trying to understand why any of the people posted in the photos above would influence anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Valid point
Except for the Crown Prince of Johor???

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:01 AM   #42
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sadly I have to agree.

Think it's best if I duck of these particular turquoise OP threads TBH. Nothing against the watch itself, of those who've bought them - just not buying into all the rest of the nonsense that goes with it.

Happy holidays all!
Old 24 December 2021, 10:03 AM   #43
Andad

Quote:
Logging in to TRF is not compulsory.

Old 24 December 2021, 10:03 AM   #44
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Isn't every expensive and easily recognizable watch a gauche display of wealth? A Daytona is no better in this respect, neither is a Nautilus or a Royal Oak or a Pepsi. I'd even argue something like the Hulk may actually be worse.

Yet we don't question anyone's motives for wearing any of these watches. No incoming post here for the gazilionth Daytona is met with criticism and disdain (and its good that way, as there is, in my mind, no place for disdain for someone's watch choices), no matter how unbelievably boring it has become to see the same 5 watches over and over again. No, if it's a Daytona or a Pepsi, all is fine.

But if it's robin egg blue, then it's somehow offensive and stupid? Come on, this makes no sense whatsoever.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:07 AM   #45
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Pardon the double entendre: If John Mayer is photographed with one, I think a few peoples heads may explode.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:10 AM   #46
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Isn't every expensive and easily recognizable watch a gauche display of wealth? A Daytona is no better in this respect, neither is a Nautilus or a Royal Oak or a Pepsi. I'd even argue something like the Hulk may actually be worse.

Yet we don't question anyone's motives for wearing any of these watches. No incoming post here for the gazilionth Daytona is met with criticism and disdain (and its good that way, as there is, in my mind, no place for disdain for someone's watch choices), no matter how unbelievably boring it has become to see the same 5 watches over and over again. No, if it's a Daytona or a Pepsi, all is fine.

But if it's robin egg blue, then it's somehow offensive and stupid? Come on, this makes no sense whatsoever.
Sorry but you're totally missing my point every time. So as I said in post #42, I'm ducking out of this plethora of turquoise OP threads.

Happy holidays and I hope you have a great time!
Old 24 December 2021, 10:17 AM   #47
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Sorry but you're totally missing my point every time. So as I said in post #42, I'm ducking out of this plethora of turquoise OP threads.

Happy holidays and I hope you have a great time!
Duck, duck, goose! Merry Xmas!
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:20 AM   #48
macplee
"TRF" Member

havent read 90% of this post so apologies....but....i find all of this crazy, funny, ridiculous etc etc.

I want to see more crzy stuff - jayz / john mayer or whoever else from ticktock/instagram to pose w something not "prized" and jack it up.

very entertaining....

watches can turn into fine art - have u seen the prices of some of that stuff....almost all of it is lost on me.
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:29 AM   #49
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Do people really care what watch specific celebrity’s wear? Lebron and wahlberg are worth a fortune, it’s hardly relatable. Jay Z is on a different planet wealthy, anything that guy is doing is many leagues out of mine.
I wouldn’t want anything that sh@@e rapper wears now DMX wohoo I would want to know what watches he had
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:38 AM   #50
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
And yet many don’t pay a dime for them as long as they do exactly what they are doing with them. Make the least desirable, least complicated and cheapest Rolex around inflated by 10x. For Rolex to give away a few $3k (guessing on their actual cost) watches and get what they get in awareness, it would have cost them millions in advertising dollars. It’s brilliant.

I doubt their true cost is $3,000 …I would say closer to $600
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:49 AM   #51
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Number of people I recognized in the pics = 1

Number of people I'm influenced by = 2 (Mother and Father) rest their souls

Anyone who pays more than retail for this watch is just looney but it's their money.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:54 AM   #52
febie111
"TRF" Member

Quote:

These photos say A LOT!
Well let's see. An overpaid tall guy who runs around and throws a ball in a net. A Latin singer that I never heard of before. Two rappers who write songs about killing,drugs and prostitution. The Prince of what Country? Family money I would guess.Never heard of him.

A You Tube watch lady who I have seen a few times but can't understand much of what she is saying,seems obvious she is riding on her Father's coat tails.

And Mark W,a B grade actor and a former wannabe rapper (Marky Mark) Actually I thought the picture of him with a mask was Dr Oz.

So you see,I find it hard to be influenced by any of them..I have my own brain.

With all due respect to you of course.
febie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:00 AM   #53
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
I know he is, but would you agree that him wearing had bearing on the hype? It indeed did
I think the photo of him wearing it came out after the $6M charity auction result…

Though, I do agree, if you are running Tiffany that Jay-Z is probably at or near the top of the best candidates to give/sell one to.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:09 AM   #54
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post

Don’t you think Wahlberg, Lebron, et al got their watches at MSRP from an AD? I mean, is there any AD that wouldn’t immediately sell anything to Lebron if he walked in?

To be fair the Jay-Z photo shows him wearing the Tiffany branded 5711, so that at least has something to do with the store.

I not particularly interest in any of these celebrities either, but it doesn’t mean they should be disdained just because they are celebrities wearing watches… I think it is great that our weird little hobby is having its moment.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:21 AM   #55
Sixanthonies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman and SkyD
OP 41 Tiffany is discontinued for 2022 forward ….
Sixanthonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:28 AM   #56
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Remarkably, I've been fortunate enough to acquire a collection of some very nice watches, which I actually enjoy, without even knowing who most of these "influencers" are.
Old 24 December 2021, 11:29 AM   #57
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixanthonies View Post
Where did you get the info from?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 04:27 PM   #58
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Speaking for myself only interested in the watches I would choose to wear,
and not
not a bit interested in what so called celebrities wear or the hype.
Agree with Padi.

For the most part, celebrities/influencers actually put me off buying something.

Most of the people I admire / respect, tend not to be promoting stuff.
And vice versa.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 04:31 PM   #59
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixanthonies View Post
Yes, Rolex seem to do this a lot with popular models.

Old 24 December 2021, 05:37 PM   #60
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Nice watches at retail. Don’t get the extreme price escalation.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote