The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2020, 08:37 AM   #31
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree with the above.

Moving forward, you have a couple of choices. Talk with the SA and try to make nice, telling him you didn't mean him any harm but wanted the issue resolved by the owner.

Deal with the owner in the future.

Go to another store.

I would try number one or two before moving to another store. IMO that would be my last resort, unless you want to avoid any possible emotional conflict.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:38 AM   #32
Lawrence of Alabama
"TRF" Member

Pictures? Regardless, they were wrong and should step up to correct the situation.
Lawrence of Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:41 AM   #33
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

I would of talked alittle non sense to him, so that he auto corrected his demeanor
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:48 AM   #34
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
I don't believe you are being fair to the AD since the owner has offered solutions to your problems in a professional and acceptable manner. Otherwise, you wouldn't have went back right? If the sales rep is no longer interested in doing business with you then that is his loss since you can always just work with a different one. I think the fact that the owner offered to take the watch back is really stepping up to the plate as he would have to probably polish it, replace the pins and then sell it as used.

Are you the bad guy? no.

Could the situation have been handled differently? yes, you could have gone directly to the sales rep and let him try to put out the fire before the big boss comes down on him. If he couldn't resolve the issue you move up the chain. A lot of people don't like you going over their heads and for good reason.

Should the sales guy treated you that way after the incident? Absolutely not. I can understand why he is upset but it is a bad reflection upon his character and the store for him to act that way. However, have you considered he could've been having a bad day? of course its not an excuse but I would give the AD and the SA another chance. If he doesn't want to work with you that's his loss in a good client and commissions. You also didn't know what the owner said or did to him for the incident. Some bosses can be very nasty.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:18 AM   #35
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Nothing wrong done from your side. Take your business elsewhere.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:28 AM   #36
Onewayedc
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 510
I see nothing wrong with what you did at all. It was mistake on their part and it was up to them to make it right. As far as the Sales Rep, it sounds like he probably got his ass chewed and thinks it is your fault. I would just forget about him. If you are looking for "one last watch" (famous last words), I would try to work directly with the owner. Based off your past purchase history and your latest snafu, I would think he could get you the watch you're after.
Onewayedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:40 AM   #37
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
You did nothing wrong. People have to be responsible for their actions, the SA made a mistake, he doesn't have to be upset with you. Move on and continue doing business with the owner from now on.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:06 AM   #38
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
If it were me I would have spoken with the SR first and given him a chance to rectify the situation. The SR deserved that courtesy. I don't know what you're whining about, sounds to me like the AD and SR have been good to you over the years. Some people just like to bitch
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:18 AM   #39
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
If it were me I would have spoken with the SR first and given him a chance to rectify the situation. The SR deserved that courtesy. I don't know what you're whining about, sounds to me like the AD and SR have been good to you over the years. Some people just like to bitch
Agreed. The OP has been doing business with this AD for 30 years and the sales person has been working for 10. There must be a good reason. A bad salesman wont last anywhere near that long.
Also the owner offered to take the watch back I don't really know what more can a store offer. Some people are just brutal. No wonder they say the service industry helps people build character.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:18 AM   #40
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
You did nothing wrong and I would take my business elsewhere.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:20 AM   #41
Rags2Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND/GMT II SS
When you spend the kind of money people spend on a Rolex, you have every right to be 100% satisfied with your purchase, experience and watch. You had no idea the owner was going to be answering the call when you reached out, it could have very well been the salesman. Your intention was to "FIX" the issue and who better to explain it to than the owner of the Store. These guys work very hard to come up in the ranks, build a reputation & one day maybe own a Store. In doing so, they need to be made aware of the type of ongoing experiences clients have when purchasing a watch. The owner being available was meant to be and you did nothing wrong. I would say go in the store again, and continue the relationship you built over the years, if the owner is going to give you more VIP service & some sales guy is going to throw you smart comments you don't have to work with them. I am sure another salesperson in there would love to have your business. Enjoy your watch, maybe go in for a free polishing if they offer it to take out the ultra micro scratch. Congratulations on the watch!
Rags2Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:24 AM   #42
amilch
"TRF" Member

You did nothing wrong. The SA must be embarrassed probably trying to avoid you.
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:29 AM   #43
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
IMHO you did nothing wrong. You just paid over $17k for your Sky-D and had the screws mashed & bracket scratched by the SA during sizing. I usually insist on the Watchmaker doing the sizing if possible, however some SAs can be incensed by this as they are "Rolex Trained" as I was once reminded. The (10 year experienced) SA must've known what had happened and choose to pass it off. You just happened to speak with the AD owner who kindly offered solutions. I think the SA should have been more gracious in their behavior. That being said, AD's are holding the cards these days, so how a person responds to such situations is a matter of judgement. Deal with the owner in the future, or if the vibe feels bad, just move on to another AD. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:33 AM   #44
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a good opportunity to just deal with the owner and put a SS Daytona on the horizon!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:34 AM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Who cares about the SA feelings after HE MESSED IT UP and gave it back to you like that’s appropriate behavior on your brand new high priced watch. I’d give the owner one more chance and if it still doesn’t feel right go elsewhere.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:35 AM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The SA should have apologized the moment he became aware of this debacle, and he was aware because the owner light him up guaranteed.

If it’s me, I’m dealing with the owner or I’m shopping elsewhere, simple as that.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:36 AM   #47
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Real first world problems here on TRF !! :)
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:38 AM   #48
winst
"TRF" Member

Stay with the same AD as the owner sounds a decent guy, blank the rep when you go in for your last watch and try and find the most junior member of staff to give them the sale to piss off the other sales rep. Then when you need to have the bracelet sized asked to speak to the owner telling him what a pleasure it was to deal with the junior member of staff but given last time’s experienced could he please get their watchmaker to do it for you. You will make an Ally for life with the junior member of staff and make the old rep feel like a right plonker, whilst not penalising the owner who was fine with you.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 11:02 AM   #49
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
You are justified in being upset 100%. Also, please don't buy a DD from the AD, they are unlikely to discount and you can pick them up either from a trusted seller here or David for much less.
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 11:38 AM   #50
Grapenut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT(s) & Sub
No at the AD, but for using that font, yes.
Grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 11:42 AM   #51
Dbirdy914
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118205
Nope you are absolutely not in the wrong! PERIOD!
Dbirdy914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 11:54 AM   #52
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinikari01 View Post
I see nothing wrong with what you did or said. I would have made a personal visit and speak to that sales rep.
Perhaps the sales associate felt you went behind his/her back and reported the incident directly to the owner without first giving your sales rep. a chance?
Probably a misunderstanding from your sales rep. and now he/she feels betrayed by the phone call.
Move on and start a new relationship perhaps?
Agreed. I would have tried to talk to the sales rep directly as well. Then again, this was an accident, talking to the owner.

I would try to mend the relationship with the sales associate. 10 years is too long of a relationship to lose over a misunderstanding. Who knows how the owner addressed the situation with him after you called. Adding another piece you have been looking for with his assistance would give you both a chance to talk and a gesture to show there are no hard feelings.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:03 PM   #53
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
If this is your sales guy for 10 years, you should have ask to speak w him. Who knows what the owner said to him and made him feel. At the end of the day it’s just some pins and scratches which the ad can easily rectify.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:23 PM   #54
DTap
"TRF" Member

I think the problem is wth the sales guy.... From the owners perspective, you complained a about a mistake his guy made, and it only cost him a few pins to recover the sale. If the sales guy was good, he’d try to fix the relationship.

My advice:

Set up a meeting with the owner
Explain the previous situation and that you see this as being closed
Tell the owner you want to continue the relationship, but you feel uncomfortable when you’re in the store
Let him talk

Best outcome is a new sales rep or direct owner contact. Believe me the owner still wants your business.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:39 PM   #55
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
the guy who resized it knew that he messed it up, and he did the wrong thing by not telling you and offering to make it right..the thing is that I bet he has done that a ton of times and other people don't notice.

I think you did nothing wrong, can't count how many times folks have escalated issues in the various companies I have worked for....you mentioned it to the owner, seems like the right person to speak to for enacting tangible change.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:46 PM   #56
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post
I think the problem is wth the sales guy.... From the owners perspective, you complained a about a mistake his guy made, and it only cost him a few pins to recover the sale. If the sales guy was good, he’d try to fix the relationship.

My advice:

Set up a meeting with the owner
Explain the previous situation and that you see this as being closed
Tell the owner you want to continue the relationship, but you feel uncomfortable when you’re in the store
Let him talk

Best outcome is a new sales rep or direct owner contact. Believe me the owner still wants your business.
Thank you all for your responses. Believe me when I say they were all appreciated and quite helpful.

1) What "should" have happened is that I should have insisted on first talking to the Sales Rep about the issues he caused, and then go from there if things went poorly.

2) They have no watchmaker, as he retired after several decades and they now employ no one for that. He was VERY sought after for watch overhauls and polishing. He was a factory trained Rolex technician and is sorely missed.

3) As far as I know, they have four employees. Two who sell jewelry and "box" the watches, the owner, and the Sales Rep. And possibly(?) a security guy back there too?

4) I do want to talk to the owner in private (as DTap says -- and probably a phone call is best) -- and state the fact I'd like to continue my business there. Which I really would.

5) The sales guy should have apologized and did not. I wonder if the owner had even suggested that, but that IS almost a given, without having to be told/asked.

6) So I will at least give the sales guy another chance (he already had one) to show that I have no hard feelings. Then from his reaction I will go from there.

Thanks again to all who assisted me with this issue. I wonder if this situation would have gone better had I spoken to the sales guy first.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:48 PM   #57
jmpage1911
"TRF" Member

You broke the chain of command. You did business and have a relationship with the sales person. You should have given them an opportunity to resolve your issue before going over their head.
jmpage1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:51 PM   #58
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage1911 View Post
You broke the chain of command. You did business and have a relationship with the sales person. You should have given them an opportunity to resolve your issue before going over their head.
The SA is not part of the ‘chain of command’ and in any event the owner would have to be involved.

The OP showed amazing restraint.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:52 PM   #59
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Believe me when I say they were all appreciated and quite helpful.

1) What "should" have happened is that I should have insisted on first talking to the Sales Rep about the issues he caused, and then go from there if things went poorly.

2) They have no watchmaker, as he retired after several decades and they now employ no one for that. He was VERY sought after for watch overhauls and polishing. He was a factory trained Rolex technician and is sorely missed.

3) As far as I know, they have four employees. Two who sell jewelry and "box" the watches, the owner, and the Sales Rep. And possibly(?) a security guy back there too?

4) I do want to talk to the owner in private (as DTap says -- and probably a phone call is best) -- and state the fact I'd like to continue my business there. Which I really would.

5) The sales guy should have apologized and did not. I wonder if the owner had even suggested that, but that IS almost a given, without having to be told/asked.

6) So I will at least give the sales guy another chance (he already had one) to show that I have no hard feelings. Then from his reaction I will go from there.

Thanks again to all who assisted me with this issue. I wonder if this situation would have gone better had I spoken to the sales guy first.

Your text is difficult to read.
Is there an issue with the standard text?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:53 PM   #60
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Seems like you may have moved up the pecking order. You no longer have to deal with a SA, you get to work directly with the owner. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote