The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2015, 11:20 PM   #31
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
It was the Tag owner I tell you! Yeah, the Tag owner . . . its always the Tag owner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVFE0015.jpg (12.1 KB, 216 views)
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 11:27 PM   #32
Fensterdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I'm calling BS on your whole story unless you are 17
Wow, thanks. If I was the type to post something made up on here, do you not think I'd shoot for something better than this?
Rolex GMT-Master II 126715CHNR
Franck Müller Reference 8080 CC AT VAL
Fensterdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 11:35 PM   #33
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Why were you staring and concentrating on what some guys across the way were whispering about in the first place? Sounds like a chest puffing, pissing contest....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 01:06 AM   #34
carreramay
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I'm calling BS on your whole story unless you are 17
Me too. I think the whole story is made up nonsense. A poor attempt at trolling.
carreramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 01:18 AM   #35
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Was this at a watch meeting or something? I've never had a single compliment on my Rolexes from strangers.
I have had several complete strangers comment on my Rolex.....and my TAG.

On second thought, it may have just been me talking to myself.
gulfstream69xr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 01:58 AM   #36
Anstruther
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP DATE & EXP1 36
Not sure why you're getting some pretty harsh flack for this. Sounds like the guy was incredibly rude to you. Of course it's fine to chat watches or admire anyone's anything [car, jewellery, haircut, shoes whatever..] at a wedding or happy social event. But to make such a crass [and obviously hostile] comment completely uninvited is shocking bad manners in my book. I suppose it could look a tiny bit small minded that you noticed he was wearing a "cheaper" watch but you're not a saint and he was being a complete arse!!
Anstruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 02:15 AM   #37
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anstruther View Post
Not sure why you're getting some pretty harsh flack for this. Sounds like the guy was incredibly rude to you. Of course it's fine to chat watches or admire anyone's anything [car, jewellery, haircut, shoes whatever..] at a wedding or happy social event. But to make such a crass [and obviously hostile] comment completely uninvited is shocking bad manners in my book. I suppose it could look a tiny bit small minded that you noticed he was wearing a "cheaper" watch but you're not a saint and he was being a complete arse!!
X2.

The OP is simply trying to share an incident that occurred in his life about a passion we on this Forum can share. I don't think the OP's want is to receive "sympathetic" feedback, but instead he is just venting as he has stated in the initial post.

For the folks who suggest he is a teenager, trolling, flaunting, etc. is quite frankly inappropriate as when you read the post, there is no indication that he is doing such a thing.

Most of the time, the general public does not notice your timepiece, but durning certain functions and gatherings, the likelihood of others noticing watches and jewellery increase.

To the OP. The guy who approached you was a complete ass and I would not let comments like that bother you. People who generally cast comments like that are typically jealous of what they cannot have and resort to tactics like that.
Old 8 August 2015, 02:30 AM   #38
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
On the rare occasion when asked if my Tudor chrono was a Rolex, my reply was, "it's a Tudor made by Rolex. Many call it the poor man's Rolex. Which describes me perfectly."

If you would have agreed and admitted being poor your verbal sparing opponent wouldn't have a clue how to react and the look on his face would have been priceless.
dP
So true. In college, I was a bar with my roommate and someone was drunk and ran into him. The guy tried to pick a fight with my roommate (who is very athletic and in really good shape) and got in his face saying "you think you're hard, bro?"

And my roommate looked at him with a smile and says: "no, I'm soft like Jello."

The guy got so confused and had no idea how to respond...just then the bouncer came over and guided that guy out of the bar.

That was a weird comment, OP. Did you respond to him?
Old 8 August 2015, 02:40 AM   #39
Fensterdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anstruther View Post
Thank you for restoring my faith in this forum! I was actually shocked at some of down right rudeness of some of my fellow TRF posters. To be called a liar in any regard is at the very least frustrating. And yes, I possibly mislabeled my fellow wedding guests as 'strangers', we were bound by our mutual relationship to the happy couple and a conversation was started at the table that the group got involved. I actually can't believe I'm been made feel I have to justify the story even now.

Yes he was incredibly rude, but the over riding theme I was trying to get across here is that as followers of the brand we get a lot of negativity directed at us. In no way do I look down on TAG owners or any watch enthusiasts, but if someone approaches me, uninvited, unprovoked with the sole intention of insulting my rolex, then I'm sorry but I'm pointing out the irony.
Old 8 August 2015, 02:45 AM   #40
Fensterdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
X2.

The OP is simply trying to share an incident that occurred in his life about a passion we on this Forum can share. I don't think the OP's want is to receive "sympathetic" feedback, but instead he is just venting as he has stated in the initial post.

For the folks who suggest he is a teenager, trolling, flaunting, etc. is quite frankly inappropriate as when you read the post, there is no indication that he is doing such a thing.

Most of the time, the general public does not notice your timepiece, but durning certain functions and gatherings, the likelihood of others noticing watches and jewellery increase.

To the OP. The guy who approached you was a complete ass and I would not let comments like that bother you. People who generally cast comments like that are typically jealous of what they cannot have and resort to tactics like that.
Thank you very much for coming to my defence here, the reaction of some people here has actually been on my mind for the afternoon. I find it infuriating to be told I'm a lier, it's the height of rudeness.

In terms of the incident I felt I was defending anyone who has been on the receiving end of this behaviour both directly, indirectly, to their face, behind their backs and I was actually looking forward to hearing what the forum had to say because I felt part of a community here up until this morning.
Old 8 August 2015, 02:48 AM   #41
normallex
"TRF" Member

we call Rolex a 'Poor Man's Watch'"

Reply: You're correct guy. I would be thousands richer if I bought a Tag instead. Poor me ;)
normallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 02:53 AM   #42
Fensterdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
That was a weird comment, OP. Did you respond to him?
Initially I was just stunned when he said it, but I just mumbled something like 'I'd rather this than your TAG' I actually probably could have been the bigger man or possibly thought of a super cool come back, but that's hindsight for ya!
Old 8 August 2015, 02:54 AM   #43
Fensterdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normallex View Post
we call Rolex a 'Poor Man's Watch'"

Reply: You're correct guy. I would be thousands richer if I bought a Tag instead. Poor me ;)
Nice!
Old 8 August 2015, 02:57 AM   #44
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
X2.

X2. I agree with you, Eric.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 03:11 AM   #45
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Let me suggest one simple rule.

No matter what watch others may be wearing or what they may say about your watch, tell them what a great watch they have and how good it looks on their wrist.

It is a gracious attitude and demeanor that will mark you as a man of distinction, not whatever watch you may be wearing at any given time. The offender in your story should not be judged by his watch, but by his asinine conduct.

I would also remind you that there are people in this world who feel that the only way they can feel good about themselves is to criticize others. You may take solace in the fact that even though they may feel good in the moment, in the long run their little ruse doesn't work.

And also, I have it on good authority that Tissot is considered to be the "Swiss Timex," which is not to denigrate Tissot or Timex, but to point out that in the land of watches, it is a commonly worn, if not the most commonly worn, watch in Switzerland.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 04:47 AM   #46
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fensterdub View Post
Thank you very much for coming to my defence here, the reaction of some people here has actually been on my mind for the afternoon. I find it infuriating to be told I'm a lier, it's the height of rudeness.

In terms of the incident I felt I was defending anyone who has been on the receiving end of this behaviour both directly, indirectly, to their face, behind their backs and I was actually looking forward to hearing what the forum had to say because I felt part of a community here up until this morning.

My pleasure and you are welcome. I just call it how it is.
Old 8 August 2015, 06:38 AM   #47
roadsterdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
OP: Sounds like the guy making the negative comments was just being rude. If you were wearing a denim jacket or a hat, maybe he would have made a rude comment about that. Some people habitually pick fights, some like to instigate trouble, some are just a-holes.
If it was truly just about the Rolex, he only exposed his ignorance and jealousy.
Maybe he was trying to impress the person he was with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadsterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 06:55 AM   #48
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
My immediate, knee jerk response would have been:

......Rolex a poor man's watch? Then by that theory, yes, I am poor but where does that leave you with your Tag?
123Blueface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 10:26 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
So you stereotype someone for their watch of choice because they stereotype you for your watch of choice.
dP
TBF OP this is what you did when you used the phrase always wearing a Tag. I know you are venting but this kind of generalisation is always going to lead some blow back and esp from Tag owners.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 12:20 PM   #50
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
Q: Why are the biggest passive-aggressive Rolex haters TAG owners?
A: Same reason so many of the biggest, most pretentious blowhards are Rolex owners who constantly need to tell you how superior they are to everyone else.

Lay off the TAG hate, bro. Plenty of us here including me have both a Rolex and a TAG.
If you need a hug, find a therapist.
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 02:20 PM   #51
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Actually TAG delivers a lot of bang for the buck, if you're just trying to impress others. Most people don't know a TAG from a Rolex from a Patek. They all cost a lot more than most people are willing to spend on a watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 02:27 PM   #52
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a snob about anything and I also have a broad understanding about Rolex's position in the hierarchy of watches, but I refuse to listen to that from a TAG wearer.
I agree. I'll put up with a snarky comment UNDER PROTEST... but not from a TAG owner, no way.
RastabanStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 02:29 PM   #53
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
"I was in London at the weekend wearing my Rolex GMTii and got a good few compliments from friends and strangers alike about my watch. I'm always happy to talk to a fellow enthusiast about a mutual horological obsession so I got chatting to some genuinely nice and interesting people."

Was this at a watch meeting or something? I've never had a single compliment on my Rolexes from strangers.
I'm newer to the game, but no one aside from friends has ever made a comment about my 114060. And I talk to a lot of people in my job.
Old 8 August 2015, 02:39 PM   #54
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
They all cost a lot more than most people are willing to spend on a watch.
Now this is the TRUTH. One of my girl friends saw my Rolex for the first time and was honestly appalled. "How much did you spend on that?!?! More than a THOUSAND DOLLARS??"

She couldn't fathom someone spending $1000 on a watch. I wonder what she would've said if I told her it cost over 5 times that?
Old 8 August 2015, 03:22 PM   #55
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Ive liked a few tags over the years. The Monaco is a classic and I don't find anything too offensive with the carrera or grand Carrera models.

Nothing wrong with liking them. I have an extended family member who can easily afford a rolex, but he wears a tag and is very happy with it. Yeah, he probably isn't what people on this forum would consider a WIS, but not everyone needs to be.

You'll find just as many rolex owners on this forum that completely dismiss other brands based on nothing but brand loyalty blinding them.

So if you had a bad experience with one guy that just happened to be wearing a tag, it's not the end of the world.
Old 8 August 2015, 04:16 PM   #56
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I don't think you find too many genuine watch enthusiasts bagging any other brand of watch, no matter how humble.
In this case it was just bitchy behaviour below the dignity of a real man.
Said a lot about him. Didn't require any sort of response, but with the benefit of hindsight I might have said " So - you're Swiss? - you must know Roger Federer - he has a few Rolex".

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 08:03 PM   #57
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for yelow snow
Quote:
No and I was careful to stress that point in the original post.

Honestly if someone passed such a comment about your watch, do you think you wouldn't glance at his wrist and have the same line of thought?
Sorry, I don't believe you. Just going by your title you stereotyped the owner, and yourself. I couldn't care less if he was wearing PP, he's a dick. I live in Detroit and make cars. Obviously that makes my opinion about cars way more important than yours, correct? Of course not.

Quote:
On the rare occasion when asked if my Tudor chrono was a Rolex, my reply was, "it's a Tudor made by Rolex. Many call it the poor man's Rolex. Which describes me perfectly."

If you would have agreed and admitted being poor your verbal sparing opponent wouldn't have a clue how to react and the look on his face would have been priceless.
dP
Great response, Dan. I would not have been so elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Owning both must make me very conflicted
I'm about to get Love - Hate tattooed on my knuckles I'm so conflicted.

One of my TAGs is SS with a diamond bezel. Gets way more comments than any of my Rolex. Most positive, one made me laugh when he said "fake-ass diamonds."
So it's not the steam that causes the failure, but it's water that you notice in the watch after a shower that could lead you to believe the steam damaged the seal, but it's just the unfortunate result of an unserviced mechanical beast.
Gagebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 09:04 PM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I don't think you find too many genuine watch enthusiasts bagging any other brand of watch, no matter how humble.
In this case it was just bitchy behaviour below the dignity of a real man.
Said a lot about him. Didn't require any sort of response, but with the benefit of hindsight I might have said " So - you're Swiss? - you must know Roger Federer - he has a few Rolex".
Then deliver a backhanded compliment like Roger would in such a situation. Something along the lines of your tag is an excellent watch, sometimes I think of trading my rolex in for 3 of them. But then I remember how great rolex is and I come back to reality.
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 02:10 AM   #59
blufinz52
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 116400GV 124060
To the OP: It seems to me that if a person is wearing a Tag, and they notice that you're wearing a Rolex, then he has at least some knowledge of watches and knows that Rolex is a more expensive and considered higher quality than a Tag. Why would someone like this call a Rolex a poor man's watch? It doesn't make any sense, unless he was drunk, or joking, or trying to be provocative.

But in line with this topic, I have read more than the occasional negative comment about Rolex watches and/or people who wear them on the Omega Forum. In fact I called someone out on it once, and stated that I had never read a negative post about Omega watches on TRF.

BTW, the only comment I have ever received from a stranger about a watch I was wearing was on my Omega Seamaster. He said "That's a nice watch...love the waves on the dial."
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 02:23 AM   #60
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
As a TAG owner and a Rolex owner I love both watches for different reasons.

One being "better" than the other is not an issue. They are different price ranges and offer purposes for me. If this did indeed occur then that guy showed no class. I compliment a good looking watch no matter who made it... Except invictas. Just kidding.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote