The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you want to see one of PJ's watches?
Yes 90 82.57%
No 19 17.43%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 September 2017, 12:47 AM   #31
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
+ 1

Does good product knowledge excuse being rude to people on the forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 01:00 AM   #32
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Does good product knowledge excuse being rude to people on the forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PJ is very smart, ironic and borderline sarcastic, ok sarcastic, I am as well with my friends, my good friends, I don't know what happened, haven't been following the 5522 thread, will take a look.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 01:04 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PJ is very smart, ironic and borderline sarcastic, ok sarcastic, I am as well with my friends, my good friends, I don't know what happened, haven't been following the 5522 thread, will take a look.
personally i think the thread is a badge on honor in much the same way as you are describing being sarcastic with your friends.

Publicly giving someone a hard time is what people do. This was in no way mean spirited IMO. Some people seem to be taking it that way but the banter goes well beyond a thread or two.

I like to give the guy a hard time too but his input is invaluable here.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 01:11 AM   #34
martinr
"TRF" Member

Since this is the Patek forum here's my take on PJ. Why is he in this forum in the first place? He doesn't like he brand, he thinks we're a bunch of dummies that buy Patek because of the name on the dial and he thinks they're overpriced and there are better alternatives. Fine with me if he feels that way but what's the point of posting in the Patek forum and being so critical if he can't show us what he likes, and I don't mean Internet pictures of watches he doesn't own. A wrist shot or two wouldn't kill him.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 01:40 AM   #35
lapince
"TRF" Member

What I can say is that he did ask me to get in touch with a guy in Ukraine selling a watch for around 3k if I remember correctly, of a brand I never heatd of, the sporty type, which I did but the guy never answered or his phone was off all the time, can't remember...

At the same time I can't remember once that PJ said he had this or that watch, so again for me he is a quality poster, and IMHO it's not the contest of who has the coolest watches, we all know it's Roger, PJ just has very different tastes than the rest of us, and hey that's great, I can understand that some people may find him rude, but I personally like his sarcastic humor, yeah I know it's not for everyone which is why I don't use mine here...
Old 8 September 2017, 02:02 AM   #36
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
What I can say is that he did ask me to get in touch with a guy in Ukraine selling a watch for around 3k if I remember correctly, of a brand I never heatd of, the sporty type, which I did but the guy never answered or his phone was off all the time, can't remember...

At the same time I can't remember once that PJ said he had this or that watch, so again for me he is a quality poster, and IMHO it's not the contest of who has the coolest watches, we all know it's Roger, PJ just has very different tastes than the rest of us, and hey that's great, I can understand that some people may find him rude, but I personally like his sarcastic humor, yeah I know it's not for everyone which is why I don't use mine here...
I assure you.... u make up for it in so many other ways!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:23 AM   #37
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
I really enjoy reading PJ's posts, I share his sense of humour, and he usually comes across as the voice of sanity.

It's hard for me to understand people taking offence as it all seems very light-hearted to me. I think some posters take this whole watch collecting lark way too seriously (and possibly also themselves).

We don't all like the same watches, but who really cares? Personally, in general, I tend to try to avoid commenting on watches I don't particularly like.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:24 AM   #38
scrappy
"TRF" Member

No really, who is PJ and why is there a poll dedicated to him/her?
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:28 AM   #39
martinr
"TRF" Member

PJ S is a TRF member.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:48 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Personally I find PJ to be very well read however his posts are generally quite aggressive and I've previously decided that he's a bit of a tool. I also thought from the tone of his posts that he's probably a 1st year law student.

I hope he proves me wrong and posts some amazing watches and then I'll take more interest in what he has to say.

With a name like PJ is he Irish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, but his friend is Duncan.

Let's get ready to rumble!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXZmtg7GwI

I told you he was sexy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:53 AM   #41
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
Who is PJ?

Thierry Stern

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 04:04 AM   #42
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
OK, I started this thread, so I'm going to give a bit of an explanation.

Firstly, it was in no way intended to bully PJ or cause any offence. I publicly apologise to PJ if that is how he took it.

I think most of us on here know who PJ is - a knowledgeable, but opinionated person who is often outspoken. He has also said he doesn't like Patek watches. I think it's fair to say he has some notoriety on this forum. So because of his online persona, people naturally want to know what watches he has. What does this guy wear who's had all to say that he has? I'm afraid it goes with the territory - "Let's see your cards" if you will, because you could be bluffing.

Sure, he doesn't have to own a Patek to have an opinion, but if you have owned a Patek that opinion is more credible. It's like a restaurant critic who writes a restaurant review by looking at the menu, but not tasting the food.

So, I wanted to give him a little bit of a hard time, but good humoured banter, nothing offensive. I don't expect for a moment he will post his collection, but that doesn't stop a bit of mickey taking. PJ's post are quite sarcastic and he's clearly intelligent, so I thought he would be game.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 04:33 AM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Sure, he doesn't have to own a Patek to have an opinion, but if you have owned a Patek that opinion is more credible. It's like a restaurant critic who writes a restaurant review by looking at the menu, but not tasting the food.

I agree. However, i was only a reader for a few years before i owned one. Only after buying, did I post here. You guys are intimidating.

Good on PJ for posting here without having a Patek, its harder than one may think to do so.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 8 September 2017, 04:41 AM   #44
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I don't see the big deal and why he is avoiding the thread unless he truly has something to hide. I've said this in many forums, I don't think one's personal collection or lack there of is something to be ashamed of as these boards are better when true enthusiasts share technical information which benefits all of us more so than average owners that post pictures. But, he should show us some pieces he enjoys since he gave Arnould such a hard time.

Edit. My main hobby is Home Theater and some of the most resourceful posters on the AVS forum hang out in the DIY section. They typically aren't financially able to purchase the $20k+ gear/components where a large group of us hang out ($20,000+ ultra high end gear section) but often they are able to provide more technical information than most others. They also generally provide the most useful contributions for everyone to learn. And, what ticks me off the most is when members start talking about their income/better/higher priced gear when in actuality that DIYer has more knowledge and a better setup because he understands the sciences much better than the douche trying to sound better than him. I know it's different situation but see it happen over there all the time and it gets under my skin.

Just to show an example. My Home Theater is 34'x18'x10' with a 13' "wide" scope screen. It has a 4K Sony projector and the room is acoustically designed. The total room cost aprox $300k but one of my favorite DIY friends has a room well under $75k that blows mine out of the water just because of his knowledge which he shares with anyone that wants help.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 05:32 AM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
he usually comes across as the voice of sanity.
That would be Mick. The Rolex sections version of PJ. That dude is almost always right and puts up with far more crap as that section is way less laid back than the AP or PP subforms. Just saying.
Old 8 September 2017, 06:37 AM   #46
PJ S
Banned

@Russ – as I said to you privately, you’re golden, so you can quit feeling guilty or apologetic.
My position on Patek watches is not quite as black & white as you paint, and you may remember that it was I who effectively confirmed HWSA was lying about the lack of manufacturer’s warranty transferring to the subsequent owners.
I’ve previously outlined why I don’t view Patek with the same doe eyes as many others here obviously do, so I’ll not repeat myself.

@James – thank you so much for those very kind words. It’s not how I’d consider myself, but thanks nonetheless.

@Arnaud – I knew you’d appreciate my poll thread, however I must express disappointment in your comment above. I know you’re only trying to defend me, which is a noble quest, but I don’t need defending.
That information posted was private, and should’ve stayed that way – I wouldn’t like for the mod’s to feel it’s similar to why Brian was banned.
The genie can’t be put back in the lamp, so it’s a moot point – but just exercise a little restraint when divulging info, especially about yourself and background… this is a PUBLIC viewable platform, even though it may feel like a bunch of friends down at the pub, having a bit of craic.

@jon – yes, I did “start it”, so to speak. The reason for doing so was clearly explained in a reply to martin’s post within that thread.

@benlee – I’m sorry you grasped the wrong end of the stick in our discussion, also shared by the moderator you contacted. I stick by what I said, and if you wish to show the thread to enquiring minds, I have no qualms in your doing so.

@martin – I’ll refrain from explaining myself to a ‘stranger’, but suffice it to say, point taken! I suspect it’s a shared view among a number of members, silent or otherwise.

On that note chaps, and the sake of forum harmony, I shall remove myself from further threads in this section, and leave you all to enjoy your discussions within this section.
For the baying mob, if you really want to see a wristshot of one of the things I own/have owned, ask RussW to furnish you with the link.
The best of good fortune to each and every one of you.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 06:47 AM   #47
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
@Russ – as I said to you privately, you’re golden, so you can quit feeling guilty or apologetic.
My position on Patek watches is not quite as black & white as you paint, and you may remember that it was I who effectively confirmed HWSA was lying about the lack of manufacturer’s warranty transferring to the subsequent owners.
I’ve previously outlined why I don’t view Patek with the same doe eyes as many others here obviously do, so I’ll not repeat
Thanks PJ, yes we messaged privately and you accepted my apology. That was private and no one knew, so I felt I owed you a public apology.

Yes I remember the service issue - you did good there
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 08:25 AM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan17 View Post
How is this hounding the guy? We all read "pics or it didnt happen" phrase here at the forum, theres nothing out of the ordinary here.

We all know he started this kind of poll in the past (see his previous post) so if you think this post (and I'm using your words) "In Poor Form"... remember PJ started it first

*don't dish it if you can't take it...*
If' it's about the poll about me it was great...

Quote:
On principle, I object to the singling-out of a forum member in a poll. I don't know and don't care what has led to this, I think it's bordering on bullying.

I assume it's something from the pilot watch thread, which I haven't been following as I'm not even slightly interested in that watch (an enormous understatement).

EDIT - I've just seen PJS's poll about Arnaud, for the first time. Perhaps he's fair game after all!
Just saw it today as well, loved it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
at least I am entertaining

Quote:
I really enjoy reading PJ's posts, I share his sense of humour, and he usually comes across as the voice of sanity.

It's hard for me to understand people taking offence as it all seems very light-hearted to me. I think some posters take this whole watch collecting lark way too seriously (and possibly also themselves).

We don't all like the same watches, but who really cares? Personally, in general, I tend to try to avoid commenting on watches I don't particularly like.
I love his sense of humour, love sarcastic humour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
I don't see the big deal and why he is avoiding the thread unless he truly has something to hide. I've said this in many forums, I don't think one's personal collection or lack there of is something to be ashamed of as these boards are better when true enthusiasts share technical information which benefits all of us more so than average owners that post pictures. But, he should show us some pieces he enjoys since he gave Arnould such a hard time.
Wait PJ gave me a hard time? Because of the thread about me? On the contrary it's really not a hard time, it was great and I loved it...

Quote:

@Arnaud – I knew you’d appreciate my poll thread, however I must express disappointment in your comment above. I know you’re only trying to defend me, which is a noble quest, but I don’t need defending.
That information posted was private, and should’ve stayed that way – I wouldn’t like for the mod’s to feel it’s similar to why Brian was banned.
The genie can’t be put back in the lamp, so it’s a moot point – but just exercise a little restraint when divulging info, especially about yourself and background… this is a PUBLIC viewable platform, even though it may feel like a bunch of friends down at the pub, having a bit of craic
Sorry about the info I gave out, just don't think this thread is in the same playful way that mine was, your huge watch knowledge is more than enough for me

About the info I give out it's all historic facts, anyone here can find them, I live abroad in a country where you are really free, not like in France, would never post this would I be living there, maybe you are right and I shouldn't give so much info, but what could happen? Some guy could try to come to Ukraine to steal one of my watches? Poor guy, he would deeply regret, I don't have any fiscal obligations to France, so the IRS can't do anything against me, I paid all my taxes before leaving, so sure some guys will know a lot about me, but where I am with my relations I am covered, and even armed to the teeth

You would be surprised but apart 2 friends most don't know about my background, parents are dead, no brother or sister, I feel more comfortable talking about it here than with most people in the real world, might be strange but not sure I can fix that, but once the KV incoming comes I will let the other one go,
So should not be posting about personal things
Old 8 September 2017, 09:00 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I didn't think PJ's poll on Arnaud was mean spirited, it was just British, ie just sarcastic and dry bants, we're all like that esp off this international forum, so I think it was only right that Russ and I and the Brits lead this little zing back at him. PJ knows the state of play and would never complain about unfair treatment, would be so unseemly here, stiff upper lip and all that.
Old 8 September 2017, 09:03 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
That would be Mick. The Rolex sections version of PJ. That dude is almost always right and puts up with far more crap as that section is way less laid back than the AP or PP subforms. Just saying.
Mick is perpetually caught in an identity crisis, his head and parents keep telling him certain watches are gaudy and flashy, and his heart and mortality desperately desire those very same. His is a tough gig.
Old 8 September 2017, 01:33 PM   #51
KarlS
Banned

I think that the beauty of TRF is that it's a bit more light hearted and laid back. There is another forum where everyone is so polite you could put a strap on a turd and everyone will tell you it's wonderful and they all can't wait to get your in depth review...and they are all so happy for you under the guise of pseudo intellectual WIS b#s that I am quite happy to read the combination of good humoured banter combined with watch knowledge on this forum....
Old 8 September 2017, 01:58 PM   #52
Star Ferry
Banned

some PJ haters should look in the mirror. Just because they are posting a $50k or even $500k watch on an internet forum doesn't mean everyone needs to lavish it with unqualified praise. in some cases the PJ posts were rude... in other cases, he simply didn't give the validation that was desired
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 02:29 PM   #53
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I didn't think PJ's poll on Arnaud was mean spirited, it was just British, ie just sarcastic and dry bants, we're all like that esp off this international forum, so I think it was only right that Russ and I and the Brits lead this little zing back at him. PJ knows the state of play and would never complain about unfair treatment, would be so unseemly here, stiff upper lip and all that.
On the contrary it was friendly and extremely funny IMO

Quote:
I think that the beauty of TRF is that it's a bit more light hearted and laid back. There is another forum where everyone is so polite you could put a strap on a turd and everyone will tell you it's wonderful and they all can't wait to get your in depth review...and they are all so happy for you under the guise of pseudo intellectual WIS b#s that I am quite happy to read the combination of good humoured banter combined with watch knowledge on this forum....
Love the "strap on a turd"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
some PJ haters should look in the mirror. Just because they are posting a $50k or even $500k watch on an internet forum doesn't mean everyone needs to lavish it with unqualified praise. in some cases the PJ posts were rude... in other cases, he simply didn't give the validation that was desired
Sarcasm is often taken by people in a rude way, it's a style of black humour that doesn't go well with many, I am fine with it, but just don't use mine here, but like Karl said I make up for it in so many ways, but with my best friends oh sarcasm is flying like bullets
Old 8 September 2017, 02:51 PM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@
On that note chaps, and the sake of forum harmony, I shall remove myself from further threads in this section, and leave you all to enjoy your discussions within this section.
For the baying mob, if you really want to see a wristshot of one of the things I own/have owned, ask RussW to furnish you with the link.
The best of good fortune to each and every one of you.
please don't. Not the intent of anyone here.
Old 8 September 2017, 03:04 PM   #55
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well my friend I am a little nuts, this explains that, all of you must have noticed that in some form or another
Old 8 September 2017, 03:14 PM   #56
KarlS
Banned

As mentioned previously there are many watches I believe are quite hideous (in particular one that looks like a cheap chinese mecano set) however I don't comment on the watch as what's the point of deriding someone else's pride of joy. In fact there are many threads I don't even follow as I have little interest in Panarai, Omega etc. If people get offended use the ignore button - it's effective!!!

And if any of you are mean to me I am also not going to play with you!!!
Old 8 September 2017, 03:18 PM   #57
lapince
"TRF" Member

PJ: believe me maybe I do say things about my background, but only on my mother's side, which is a dead branch, would not talk about my father's side, have many relatives, interesting also, but my mother's branch being deceased and historically important in France, thought it might interest a few, if there is a negative view on aristocracy like I said I am no aristocrat, and we didn't inherit anything.
I think members like Roger and others posting their uber collection is much more personal and brave, if I won Euromillion, I would surely post a few normal watches but no way would I post the 500-800k PP minute repeaters I would get, no way..
About my family history on the other thread, thought it was a good lesson on karma for others to follow, I follow it every day "treat others as you would like to be treated".

And if i say many things about me, I pity the poor lad who would want to do me problems in Ukraine, relations with the high up right people is everything there, and not lacking but were I living in France I wouldn't post the same way and use more restraint my friend
Old 8 September 2017, 03:25 PM   #58
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And if any of you are mean to me I am also not going to play with you!!!
Don't think anyone would want to be mean to you my friend, I could imagine a poll thread for you though "does Karl like blue?" yes I know you could do it for me too...

Old 8 September 2017, 06:46 PM   #59
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Thought this "revenge" poll thread might have been coming... looks like it could be a new TRF record landslide.

Arnaud can only vote once though.
I voted no
Old 8 September 2017, 07:24 PM   #60
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:

Please don't. The more mature among us can cope with an alternative viewpoint, and as for the less mature, well, who cares about them?

You don't like the dial layout on my favourite "mainstream" watch (5712), for instance. I can understand that as I used to feel the same way. But now, in a rather similar way to the "jolie laide" Citroen 2CV, I absolutely love it. Wherever aesthetics is concerned, there's always room for another pov.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote