The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 July 2020, 08:09 AM   #31
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Depends how much you'd had to drink
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:12 AM   #32
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I believe they are Tag Heur's brand to compete with AP Royal Oaks and VC Overseas. I'd prefer a Royal Oak Offshore or more so a AP RO Perpetual Calendar most of all.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:44 AM   #33
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
Hublot (meaning porthole in French) were the first to 'fuse' gold and rubber in the same watch. An industry first and the inspiration for the names, fusion & the big bang.

They've continued to be innovative and bring new and old materials together (their MO). They have also created new precious alloys & composites like red gold and scratch proof 'magic gold' etc.

Did you know the comparisons to AP were only highlighted when AP began to offer rubber straps? Their products were considered very innovate at the time they launched. So maybe AP (& every other brand that now uses rubber - basically everyone) copied off Hublot then? Oh no no no, we couldn't possibly suggest that.

Do y'all feel the Nautilus has copied off the Royal Oak? What's the difference? Yes both designed by the late, great Genta but AP were furious at the time and it was considered a direct rip off of the RO. Of course, nobody has this view now.

They signed a 20 year soccer endorsement deal which helped to catapult them into the mainstream media & this also brought a new type of buyer to the luxury watch game. Their popularity leapfrogged them above other more traditional brands steeped in history, this then turned the WIS community against them. It's like as soon as something is mainstream it's no longer acceptable for the WIS community to appreciate it. Like some unwritten code of conduct. A choice for the uninformed, superficial brand, shame Biver is a marketing genus, it's just a fashion watch blah blah blah.

OP - If you want to score points with the WIS community don't buy one. If the brand interests you, do you own homework and make an informed choice.

I consider myself a bit of a WIS. I could 'out geek' a lot of users on this forum but have very different tastes to the typical WIS buyer.

Let's face it, the watch game has moved on somewhat over the last 15 years or so and it's a new world we are in. Some of the old guard on here don't like the new enthusiasts, their disdain seeps out of their posts.

Birds of a feather flock together.

*Rolls sleeves up*

From what I can tell nobody should dispute Hublot being the first to use rubber straps that way.

I would also say mainstream not being compatible WIS doesn’t make sense if one considers Rolex, who are arguably the most mainstream of all watch manufactures.

I don’t have strong feelings either way towards hublot, and can appreciate both sides of the coin but I do think their approach to innovation is a very marketing driven, FMCG like approach, rather than one which continually advances the technical possibilities of timekeeping devices, unlike some of their inspirators.

Ultimately everyone should get what they like and enjoy the heck out of it !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 04:01 AM   #34
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Love my hublots wear them more then my ap 44 idc what people think about the watch I bought lol
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 02:25 AM   #35
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I think they are nice looking watches. Most of their models are just too big for my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 08:11 AM   #36
pendlepants
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
If you like them, I think they're a great watch. The Classic Fusion movement isn't particularly interesting (based on a Sellita movement, if I remember?), but the Spirit of Big Bang uses an El Primero movement (and looks amazing, imho), and their in-house stuff is really strong - I think the Unico movement is one of the more interesting recent movements.

I own a titanium/ceramic Unico Big Bang and have received more compliments on it than I have for any of my Rolexes, fwiw.
pendlepants is offline   Reply With Quote