The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 May 2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Biblebanger

Omega Seamaster and Breitling SO Steelfish Review

Omega Seamaster 2254.50 - I have owned this watch for 10 months now. Here are the strong features that I like.

- Versatility - This watch seems to go with any dress situation. I wore it with 3 different suits at a four day convention in Las Vegas and I felt very confident that it looked fine. On the other hand I wear it with jeans or khakis to my office every day and always on the golf course. it never seems out of place.

- Fit and Finish - I love the finish of this watch. I have shopped many brands and the Omega is right up there with the best. It just looks and feels really solid. Some watches will rattle a little bit and the Omega never does.

- Ergonomics - The look and design of this watch are all really thought out nicely. The size of the face is nice and large and the bezel just goes perfectly in accordance with the face. The bracelet has a beautiful taper to it and just seems to flow nicely from the clasp to the case when it is on your wrist.

Still my favorite!!!

Breitling Aeromarine SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus. Just received a blue face model from my wife for Christmas on the 22nd.

Bold Styling - This watch is in your face. I love the round applied markers with the luminova along with the blue face. This is the watches best feature. I actually like the polished finish on this watch. I did not like it on my seamaster but it just seems to look right on the fish. The overall appearance of the watch is just rugged and beautiful all at the same time. One more thing to add is that I love the AR coating on the crystal. I know that there is a tendency for it to scratch easier but it looks really awesome. It is also much easier to photograph.

Eye catching - This watch demands attention and gets it. I was shopping for a couple of days with my wife and I had two men at different stores ask me about my watch. One of them knew it was a Breitling and the other did not. I am not a vain person but sometimes it is nice for someone to notice the watch that you are wearing. It gives you an opportunity to talk about watches.(None of us like to do that do we?)

Now I will compare the two watches to each other.

Fit and finish - The Omega is better in this regard. The movement seems smoother and is more refined plus I think has a little better reserve(44hours vs. 42).

Versatility - goes to the Omega. I do not think I could wear the fish with just anything. I also think that if I tried to wear it on the golf course I would probably loose 10mph off of my clubhead speed. This thing is heavy.
(All you golfers will know what I am talking about.)

Bracelet - Both are beautiful and finished very nicely. I will be interested to see which one stands up to scratches better.

Clasp - Anyone who owns a Breitling know that the clasp is tough and very sturdy. Although it is kind of tight I about tore my fingernail off trying to take it on and off to show my friends over the last couple of days. It should break in after a while. It really makes me appreciate the Omega two button unit. The Seamaster IMHO is almost perfect.

Some random comparisons:

Depth Rating(Useless to me but still cool)

SMP 1000ft - Fish 6600ft

Diameter

SMP 41mm - Fish 44mm(does not feel this large)

Thickness

SMP 11mm - Fish 16mm

Movement

SMP Omega 1120(ETA 2892mod) - Fish Breitling 17(ETA 2824fin)

Bracelet

SMP 20/18 - Fish 22/20

List price/Price paid

SMP 2150/1395 - Fish 2470/1675

In closing, I have owned my Seamaster for 10 months and only one person has ever asked me about it. It is a very subtle watch. Which is alright by me. I had owned the Breitling for 6 days and already 4 people had asked me about the watch. It is kind of nice to have a watch that stands out once in a while.

Taking this into consideration I beleive these two will serve me well depending on what kind of mood I am in. Very nice contrast and a lot of dress options.

Thank you for reading my long winded review.

A few more pictures

Last edited by Biblebanger; 17 May 2006 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Change title
Biblebanger is offline   Reply With Quote