The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2014, 08:44 AM   #31
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Collecting for nearly 30 years, I have had dozens of both Omega and Rolex. A few of the Omegas developed a need for service. None, and I mean in 20+ examples, NONE of the Rolex needed service. Maybe it's like that small block Chevy V-8 in my avatar...it just doesn't stop working...

Last edited by Time Exposure; 18 April 2014 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: submitted in error prior to finish
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 08:58 AM   #32
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Well, to start I would say the new Omega 300M is similar in quality and bang for buck as the Rolex Sub, but that watch is what somewhere around $8,000 (i think) so I don't see your point. If Omega was offering the same quality product at a cheaper cost then you would have something.

Omega has been around longer then Rolex yet everyone knows Rolex because along the road they did it better. Just like Ferrari did it better then Alfa Romeo. To answer your question "Do we really purchase Rolex just because we can say we wear a Rolex?", in some degree yes. Do people who drive Ferrari's drive them to pick up chicks and to flaunt their success, yes. But there is a certain accepted quality and performance that comes with these elite products. Omega has spent millions of dollars in marketing the past couple years to try to compete with Rolex, but at the end of the day they will never be Rolex. Everyone knows Rolex, not everyone knows Omega, it has already been imbedded in everyones brain, just like Ferrari will forever be the ultimate dream car company no matter how much marketing Porsche, Alfa, Mercedes do. When was the last time you even saw a Ferrari commercial or magazine ad? I rest my case.

Just my 2 cents.
A little Rolex Kool-Aid?

Not sure I agree but that's the beauty of TRF. Your contention about Omega never being Rolex, probably right but who knows? Remember back in the day Omega was THE brand vs Rolex so things can always change. While Ferrari may be a "dream" car, everyone knows Porsche but if I put a Lambo and a Ferrari side by side, how many would get the brand correct if asked what it was? I'm 100% sure Porsche (which does very little marketing) doesn't concern itself with Ferrari and vice versa. It's all perception I suppose. One thing I cannot disagree, though, is resale. Rolex beats every brand I've owned, hands down. And for what it's worth, saw a Ferrari ad just last week!
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:05 AM   #33
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
You are correct and if you actually search through those threads you'll get the same answers all over again.
Why is Rolex better...yadda yadda yadda.
If you want the Omega get it, don't need to justify it's purchase over the Rolex.
If you want the Rolex then get that.
Each one has something to offer....why bother with what's going to happen with the new master co-axials. It hasn't happened, you want a watch today and have a criteria....use that to pick the one you want.

Just get what you want, better is very subjective, what do you need, what do you want, what is your criteria....do you want me to tell you what I want and need. You'll still get the one you want in the end.

I like the Rolex, because it's thinner, better resale, richer history, prefer the aesthetics of the case and the bracelet, prefer 40mm, prefer the 3135 movement.....the Omega has things I like, but not enough over the Rolex. I had the PO 2500(wish I hadn't sold it) great watch but not comparatively better based on my criteria than the SubC, had the PO8500, but too thick, could not see me having a DSSD which has a reason to be thick and a PO8500 which has no business being thick, sold it, don't miss it one bit.

At some point I want the new Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial and decided I like it better than the 114060, but I have two other Rolexes, and what if what if I threw AP in the mix....I pick my battles...
Good points here, especially about getting the watch you want in the end...
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:17 AM   #34
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by youinthehat View Post
I also am interested in eventually getting a PO. The thing I see alot is that Omega is just a better bang for the buck watch. The 8500, according to alot of people, have almost an advantage in every category. They say its "technologically state of the art" while the Rolex is still using the bread and butter.
I don't know who "they" are, but neither is state-of-the-art. An iPhone is state-of-the-art. Mechanical wristwatches are steampunk, and things like appearance, tradition, provenance, etc. matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youinthehat View Post
With that being said, why would someone want a rolex then? I know some of the reasons would be heritage and icon but at the same time, a reason that frequently pops up is "for the name." Im sure there is some truth to it, but tbh, it makes Rolex owners sound extremely vain. Do we really purchase Rolex just because we can say we wear a Rolex? When there is a company like Omega that produced a state of the art movement with quite a number of technological advances that is almost half the price?
One could say the same thing about buying an Omega instead of a G-Shock. The G-Shock outperforms the Omega in every way and costs fifty times less.

Of course, if you don't find the G-Shock appealing for aesthetic/emotional reasons, then it's no substitute. Just like the Planet Ocean isn't a substitute if you like the Submariner more.

On the subject of buying a Rolex because it's a Rolex: a strong argument can be made that this is a better move financially due to Rolex's high resale value. Every Rolex I've bought sells for more used than I paid new.
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:19 AM   #35
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn View Post
Taken on it's own, many Omega watches can stand on its merits. However the brand is erratic. Outside the Speedmaster Professional series, their modern watches lack the same continuity and history of Rolex pieces. 40 years from now a sub is still going to look like a sub. A planet ocean may be a long since discontinued model.
From 1991 to 2001 I only had Vintage Omega. Then it took me more than 10 years to build this "modern" collection (2001-2012), and when I finally got there I realised I only had old discontinued pieces. I Sold all of them (except the vintage) for a Sub-C and a Sub-C Date and I never looked back. Guess this sums up how I feel about the constant changes they make in their lineup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (54.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (57.4 KB, 424 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:19 AM   #36
IAN1
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex of course.
Every collection needs a Speedy though.
IAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:33 AM   #37
khoalety

I'm saving up to purchase the black/blue GMT 2 (I don't think I can afford the red/blue). But there is no doubt Omega is my #1 brand. I love watches and I hope to own many different watch brands just as long as they are my sizes, good looking and not too thick.
khoalety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:36 AM   #38
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN1 View Post
Every collection needs a Speedy though.
Sure does, and that isn't even that new "high-tech" "innovative" movement.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:17 AM   #39
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Omega bracelets are almost certainly made in China. Rolex bracelets are absolutely made in house. If that matters to you, and it should, a lot of the bang for the buck argument goes out the window. Also, the 8500 is great but it is 100% not in house.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:24 AM   #40
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I have to admit that my SMP Bond doesn't get near the wrist time as my to Rolexes. I'm not certain why because it is every bit as good a watch from any measure I can come up with. Maybe the Rolexes are just newer to me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:27 AM   #41
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Omega bracelets are almost certainly made in China.
If true, that is very disappointing. Do you have a link where I can read more about this?
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:30 AM   #42
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
From 1991 to 2001 I only had Vintage Omega. Then it took me more than 10 years to build this "modern" collection (2001-2012), and when I finally got there I realised I only had old discontinued pieces.
How does that vary from Celini and Tudor?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:34 AM   #43
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
If true, that is very disappointing. Do you have a link where I can read more about this?
It's absolutely true. I have a link but I'm on my Ipad, which is a pain to navigate. The issue came out on TZ-UK. If you search there for "omega china" you'll find a thread talking about high quality bracelets (I posted in that thread under the same name). In it, someone posts a picture of a PO8500 link sealed in its packaging (direct from an AD). The country of origin... China.

If you can't find it, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll get the direct link when I'm on my work PC. I'm an Omega fan (I love my Speedy Pro), but the Chinese bracelet thing really dropped the brand far far below Rolex in my own personal valuation.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:36 AM   #44
DrTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt master
well I'm relatively new to the rolex forum, but had a rolex for 30yrs....have 4 rolexs, my last 2 watches are omega.....i love my rolex's but rolex is stuffy....period. omega is testing the envelope....and....they got my last 2 purchases and will get the next one....and I'm becoming a wis....but I'm not evangelical about it....a dssd is as thick as a poc with the 9300 movement....the dssd is brooks brothers the poc chrono is cooler looking to me, ergo it will get my $.....doesnt mean i won't pay 10k for a dssd, it just won't happen soon...

bottom line: i predict, that, someday....possibly when the market takes a dump, omega will look like a better choice...and in the past, omega was preferred to rolex and that may happen again....(duck for cover)
DrTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:37 AM   #45
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Well could say same about why would someone not want a seiko, Casio or citizen?
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:39 AM   #46
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
for better or worse(and quite possibly worse) its a rolexcentric world.

get used to it.......
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:44 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Own both. Love both for different reasons. Quality is identical. Omega is a more open minded company with quality after sales straps, etc.... Rolex style/watch sizes are a bit stagnate compared to Omega. IMO.
Old 18 April 2014, 10:48 AM   #48
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
It's absolutely true. I have a link but I'm on my Ipad, which is a pain to navigate. The issue came out on TZ-UK. If you search there for "omega china" you'll find a thread talking about high quality bracelets (I posted in that thread under the same name). In it, someone posts a picture of a PO8500 link sealed in its packaging (direct from an AD). The country of origin... China.

If you can't find it, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll get the direct link when I'm on my work PC. I'm an Omega fan (I love my Speedy Pro), but the Chinese bracelet thing really dropped the brand far far below Rolex in my own personal valuation.
Please share this link to the China made Omega bracelets when you are able. I am very curious about this as I find it a bit difficult to believe as the dial says "swiss made". Thanks.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:50 AM   #49
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I found the thread. I am very disappointed.
Old 18 April 2014, 10:50 AM   #50
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's absolutely true. I'm an Omega fan (I love my Speedy Pro), but the Chinese bracelet thing really dropped the brand far far below Rolex in my own personal valuation.
Yes its true and I agree 100%.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:53 AM   #51
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Please share this link to the China made Omega bracelets when you are able. I am very curious about this as I find it a bit difficult to believe as the dial says "swiss made". Thanks.
I don't know if we can share links to other watch forums. PM me and I will send you the link.
Old 18 April 2014, 10:57 AM   #52
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Oh really now???? Funny that my Planet Ocean has "Swiss Made" right on the clasp.

Quote:
Omega bracelets are almost certainly made in China. Rolex bracelets are absolutely made in house. If that matters to you, and it should, a lot of the bang for the buck argument goes out the window. Also, the 8500 is great but it is 100% not in house.
Old 18 April 2014, 11:11 AM   #53
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Omega brand has withstood the test of time and they make great watches. What works for one person doesn't for another.

I do agree that saving $$$ on a great Swiss Watch makes sense. I always have a couple of Rolex and Omega models in the collection whenever possible.

As for the talk about some parts being made outside Switzerland, all brands can do that (up to a certain percent of total content). So bracelets, straps, cases, etc can come from outside Switzerland and the watch could still carry SWISS MADE on the dial...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 11:19 AM   #54
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
You'll always end up back with a Rolex!
I wouldn't exactly agree with that... it has been 17 months since wearing one and I have never looked back... no remorse whatsoever.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 11:35 AM   #55
knguyenk
"TRF" Member

I own both Rolex and Omega watches, Sub-C and Mid-Size Seamaster Professional 300m (cal. 1120), love them both for their own special reasons. I currently wear the Sub-C a bit more than the Seamaster because the watch is newer and I want more wrist time with it (as my 300m has over 9 years of wrist time).

I pretty much ended up with a Sub-C instead of a 8500 PO because of a impulse decision. I knew that I wanted both of them, but I chose Rolex first because it was a Rolex and I wanted it to mark a special occasion in my life. However, if I were to go back now, I would definitely picked the PO because I simply love it. I know that I will eventually pick up a few Omegas before I get another Rolex.
knguyenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 11:49 AM   #56
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
I have lots of watches from both brands, from various decades. They're both excellent, and often similar in quality.

I guess, though, hang around on any forum and this type of thread gets done to death with no end in sight... There are always debates like this with no "right" answer.

Vans vs. Converse
Samsung vs. Apple
Coke vs. Pepsi
Fender vs. Gibson
Guiness vs. Murphy's
Gap vs. Uniqlo
Hershey vs. Cadbury
m&m vs. Smarties
McDonald's vs. Burger King
Gordon's vs Tanqueray

and the list goes on and on and on and on
Old 18 April 2014, 11:59 AM   #57
ses4me
"TRF" Member

I've transitioned from having only Omegas (4 of them) to having 2 Rolexes and 1 Tudor, and I'll never go back. If given the choice now, I'd rather have a Tudor than Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ses4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 12:05 PM   #58
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Rolex is a better finished product and holds its value better
Old 18 April 2014, 12:27 PM   #59
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Rolex and Omega are the products of good marketing. Rolex was carried to the top of Everest ( not worn), the roots of the Rolex explorer mystique but a paid endorsement. Omega is guilty of the same thing with the moon watch. I've read several times that Omega co-branded the moon with Omega as a marketing agreement. I really don't buy the story that they went around town to purchase watches and tested them with Omega being the one and only winner. That all came down to either the lowest bid... or the highest depending on how you view it. The rest is likely revisionist history.

These are companies who sell products and have for gobs of years. They're driven by marketing departments and bottom lines. Rolex just does it better and for longer. They rode the quartz crisis and won. Their prize was the 80s and 90s and now the crown. It'll be a while before anyone can unseat them. Both are great machines
Old 18 April 2014, 01:09 PM   #60
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
wtf?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote