The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2008, 12:45 AM   #31
airhkg

Watch: Sub, SMP GMT Co-Ax
Present and accounted for!

My advice to anyone coming over here. Search the Rolex website for authorized dealers and trust no one else! Big AD across from Times Square in Causeway Bay huge selection.
airhkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 12:47 AM   #32
airhkg

Concur with JJ...Chung King Mansion... Shabby and run down looking.. yes.. Dangerous no. HK is quite safe. I am originally from USA and can say any part of HK is much safer than any major city in the USA.
Old 7 July 2008, 01:14 AM   #33
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I don't agree with that. I lived for a long time in HK, and while most parts are safe, there are some seedy areas that are just as dangerous as some of the run down areas of big cities in the USA. Of course, like the USA, it is what you are looking for. Hanging out in a bar late at night in certains parts of Indianapolis is not safe. Same as for Mong Kok late at night. There are sections of Hong Kong that are still controlled by organized crime late at night. Most of the toursist areas are good to go. Hong Kong is actually the only big city I have enjoyed living in and the only big city I could live again for a long duration.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 01:25 AM   #34
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
That clock look very nice!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 01:45 AM   #35
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Here......I am from Hong Kong. The exact location is not important. Rolex AD is almost everywhere in busy area of Hong Kong

The best way for visitor to check the real AD in Hong Kong.....is.......ar....go back to Jigga's pics..........
see the long one.....actually, Jigga is posting two pics. the right half is just a zoon in of the left one.
Pay attention to the left half.........find out the blue logo

at the left bottom corner of the logo
Do you see a Rolex lantern with green "Rolex"??? That's it....that lantern is the identity to check the real AD.
Hope you all understand.
Warren, thanks for this "recognition code." We are considering going on a China tour next year and HK will be on the agenda. The last time I was in HK (1975) I got a tattoo at "Pinky An's Tattoo Parlor." I didn't see a lantern outside, but I'm pretty sure that the tattoo is real. The SD, I don't know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bluz Cruz Marathon 013.jpg (16.8 KB, 142 views)
Old 7 July 2008, 01:52 AM   #36
leopardprey
Banned

Beef, Looks like you need to head back to the Parlor and get some Crossed Arrows Tattoed on your arm!

Use to live above a Tattoo Parlor in the Jordan section of HK. Very shady characters going there all the time!
Old 7 July 2008, 01:58 AM   #37
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Beef, Looks like you need to head back to the Parlor and get some Crossed Arrows Tattoed on your arm!

Use to live above a Tattoo Parlor in the Jordan section of HK. Very shady characters going there all the time!
I was a rising young Jarhead at the time. By the time I rated Crossed Arrows, I had wised up signifcantly. Shady characters? I resemble that remark!
Old 7 July 2008, 09:47 AM   #38
leopardprey
Banned

How about a EGA with Crossed Arrows behind it! That would get some looks and questions from the "Community" !!
Old 7 July 2008, 10:34 AM   #39
DCG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I don't agree with that. I lived for a long time in HK, and while most parts are safe, there are some seedy areas that are just as dangerous as some of the run down areas of big cities in the USA. Of course, like the USA, it is what you are looking for. Hanging out in a bar late at night in certains parts of Indianapolis is not safe. Same as for Mong Kok late at night. There are sections of Hong Kong that are still controlled by organized crime late at night. Most of the toursist areas are good to go. Hong Kong is actually the only big city I have enjoyed living in and the only big city I could live again for a long duration.
I agree with leopardprey.

I have been to HK many times staying with local friends they also think CKM is a seedy place. I saw hookers, drug deals and other things going down as I walked through the floors. Some people in there really looked like they wanted to kill you.
HK itself for the most part I feel safe and enjoy going out late at
night.
Old 7 July 2008, 11:01 AM   #40
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Hong Kong sounds like an interesting city to visit. Rolex galore there it looks like. Thanks for the photos and enjoy the trip.
Old 7 July 2008, 12:55 PM   #41
hwai333
"TRF" Member

There's also a sorta new Rolex/Tudor boutique you could check out in causeway bay ... its near sogo but I don't know the street name.
hwai333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 01:43 PM   #42
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Hawai333, the new Rolex boutique, do they give discounts there or they old sell at listed price? I dropped by once to a Cartier boutique at Pacific Place and was told that they only sell watches at listed price, no discounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwai333 View Post
There's also a sorta new Rolex/Tudor boutique you could check out in causeway bay ... its near sogo but I don't know the street name.
Old 7 July 2008, 05:55 PM   #43
hwai333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys12345 View Post
Hawai333, the new Rolex boutique, do they give discounts there or they old sell at listed price? I dropped by once to a Cartier boutique at Pacific Place and was told that they only sell watches at listed price, no discounts!
As far as I know all watch boutique shops do not offer discounts. I suggest just browsing there and buy at ADs.
hwai333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 06:19 PM   #44
daytona_mania
"TRF" Member

there is a rolex and tudor boutique/official store opposite times square in causeway bay. I asked only a couple of days ago about discounts. They said there are discounts but only on selected models!
daytona_mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 11:06 PM   #45
airhkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
I agree with leopardprey.

I have been to HK many times staying with local friends they also think CKM is a seedy place. I saw hookers, drug deals and other things going down as I walked through the floors. Some people in there really looked like they wanted to kill you.
HK itself for the most part I feel safe and enjoy going out late at
night.
Lets put some context to what I am talking about. I am not referring to exploring all corners of a city at 0300. There is a difference between getting in trouble and actually seeking it out. Seedy does not imply dangerous and prostitution is everywhere in HKG including Central and Admiralty just the signs are discrete and in Chinese so, most folks especially westerners never notice. Still everyone has their own personal comfort level just like everyone has different tastes in Rolex. I say Sub you say Dweller....
Old 7 July 2008, 11:39 PM   #46
leopardprey
Banned

The Nigerian AD in CKM says he can give you both in the same watch!!!!!!!LOL LOL LOL
Old 8 July 2008, 12:44 AM   #47
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Yep, another Honky here and I reckon we have more Rolex ADs here per square foot here than almost anywhere else.

Hong Kong people LOVE watches and they love things that are widely regarded as one of the best in their class. Hence lots of Rolex!

As Warren said, you can find a Rolex shop in almost any busy part around town.

Happy shopping!
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2008, 01:35 AM   #48
DCG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
Yep, another Honky here and I reckon we have more Rolex ADs here per square foot here than almost anywhere else.

Hong Kong people LOVE watches and they love things that are widely regarded as one of the best in their class. Hence lots of Rolex!

As Warren said, you can find a Rolex shop in almost any busy part around town.

Happy shopping!
That is for sureGood shopping in HK.
Old 9 July 2008, 05:45 AM   #49
Warren

Watch: GMT IIc
I have not comment to CKM, as I am local. Those people hanging around CKM are target to tourist. They won't disturb me.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2008, 06:29 AM   #50
eyceburg11

I miss Hong Kong!

how did you like the food there?
eyceburg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 03:05 AM   #51
gbo83

Watch: 14060m
are rolex prices much cheaper in hong kong than say, here in canada?my friends who live in the philippines tell me that they go to hongkong just to buy watches.
gbo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 03:42 AM   #52
xf384c
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga View Post
As soon as I walked into the baggage claim area the Rolex presence was apparent.

Also, it appears that there are about 4 Rolex shops on each block near my hotel. Go figure.

Anyone from TRF from Hong Kong?

PS the pictures look much better on the phone itself.
I know exactly where those photos were taken.
PM me if you need more information on purchasing a Rolex in Hong Kong.
Just becareful, you can be the best deals there but there might be shops selling used ones as new ones.
xf384c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 03:49 AM   #53
xf384c
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga View Post
I'm quite flattered that you're looking into my pictures so in depth
That logo is the Hong Kong Jockey Club logo, not the logo for a Rolex Authorized Dealer Logo. I repeat....NOT a Rolex Authorized logo.

Since a lot of Rolex ADs in Hong Kong, some new, some old, just be careful.
Some stores might not be an AD, yet still say they are, I would go to the Rolex Service Center to get a list of all the ADs.

It is not hard to get deals, yet just know your stuff.
There is a Rolex Store right across from Times Square, actually right across the Time Square cinema entrance, you will definitely see it.

I got my Sea Dweller in 2006 in Causeway Bay, which is just like 5 minute walk from Times Square. Good Deal!
xf384c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 10:38 AM   #54
sys12345
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure about prices of watches in Canada but it is true that watches in HK are relatively cheap but not for all brands/models. HK will be a great shopping venue for brands like Ball, Fortis, Oris, etc. When it comes to Rolex, certain models may be priced higher than elsewhere, above listed retail pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbo83 View Post
are rolex prices much cheaper in hong kong than say, here in canada?my friends who live in the philippines tell me that they go to hongkong just to buy watches.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:00 PM   #55
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by sys12345 View Post
Hi Jigga,

How was your HK trip? I really like the food and shopping and i'm there about twice a year. Rolex and Tudor watches are a common sight there. If u r into Rolex shopping, u can drop by Chow Tai Fook (AD). There are also non-ADs selling Rolexes. Here's my last trip report ...

http://watchtalkworld.proboards84.co...lay&thread=666
so, your pics are GREAT! Question: should I visit Singapore or Hong Kong(probably won't have time while in Thailand, but just in case)
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 12:33 PM   #56
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Dan, it depends on your purpose of visit to these countries. For Rolex shopping, it really depends. If u r just getting a DJ or other non sport series, u'll do fine in Singapore as u are able to claim the 7% GST. If u are shopping for the popular models, please avoid these 2 places. They are retailing above listed prices, assuming IF U CAN FIND a retailer with available stocks. For other makes like Ball, Fortis, Oris, etc., please teleport to HK (flying is too slow!) . On the other hand, if u r shopping for electronic items like digital cameras, pdas, etc., Singapore will be the better option. Finally, for branded items like fashion wear, bags, etc., head for HK IMO. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
so, your pics are GREAT! Question: should I visit Singapore or Hong Kong(probably won't have time while in Thailand, but just in case)
best,
dan
Old 15 July 2008, 03:27 PM   #57
gbo83

Watch: 14060m
thanks a lot sys
gbo83 is offline   Reply With Quote