The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2017, 02:15 AM   #31
Iloreyix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub-C
Whichever one you get first - you will want the other second.
Now - The glidelock is CLEARLY a selling factor. I get scared thinking of what I would do without it.
If GME came with a glidelock, it would be a tougher decision.
Iloreyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:42 AM   #32
3903gareth
"TRF" Member

I've made my mind up .... the GMT!
I just love refer the look tbh and secondly the sub seems very popular (common)
It's a huge amount of money for me personally and selling my datejust amd seamaster to account for some of the cash so it's a big decision
The resale doesn't really affect me too much it's just nice to know what is best which tbh I think researching it a lot the sub is slightly better but I just prefer the GMT so going with that
The non date sub is £5495 the date £6200 along with gmt
Thanks for replies folks I'm new to al this tbh so thanks for input
Think personally you get a slightly better watch in the GMT than sub and just prefer the look so mind made up 👌
3903gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:05 PM   #33
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3903gareth View Post
It's a huge amount of money for me personally and selling my datejust amd seamaster to account for some of the cash so it's a big decision
The resale doesn't really affect me too much it's just nice to know what is best which tbh I think researching it a lot the sub is slightly better but I just prefer the GMT so going with that
Think personally you get a slightly better watch in the GMT than sub and just prefer the look so mind made up 👌
Spot on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:15 PM   #34
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Sounds like a well thought out process. Good stuff and show us some pics when you get it....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:17 PM   #35
Star Ferry
Banned

I find a GMT more practical. Since I'm not diving, I don't need the extra water resistance or the uni-directional bezel
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:41 PM   #36
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sub
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:53 PM   #37
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

Spot on
Seconded 👍

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:59 PM   #38
Lawisme
Banned

Sub over GMT any day of the week
Lawisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:11 AM   #39
3903gareth
"TRF" Member

Well guys
After being in Rolex AD for two hours today amd tried both on I went for the sub !!!!!!!
The GMT looks better in pics etc but when I tried both on I went for the sub non date I can't say why tbh I just preferred it amd felt bigger on wrist and as I'm big arms etc I just let it was right for me if that makes sense !!!
The piece comes in two weeks as their store one was sold and goes away on sat they managed to trade the GMT for a sub at another branch so I'm well happy and slightly cheaper so al good
Slight change of heart as I was 99.99% going for gmt but something just shouted at me to buy sub and preferred the non date version .
Skipped the 6-9 month wait on non date sub as paid for it there amd then to stop the price increase of 10% in October
Tbh the staff were excellent amd phoned round everywhere for me to swap their stock gmt for my sub
Thanks for all your help ..,,, one happy guy today although skint now I'm happy !!!!!!
Gareth
Old 14 September 2017, 03:34 AM   #40
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

I like them both- but I own a sub as I am a diver. I was in Switzerland earlier tis year and the deal in Lucerne said the Subs are always selling out- especially the date subs ( which I have !)
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:08 AM   #41
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Well guys
After being in Rolex AD for two hours today amd tried both on I went for the sub !!!!!!!
The GMT looks better in pics etc but when I tried both on I went for the sub non date I can't say why tbh I just preferred it amd felt bigger on wrist and as I'm big arms etc I just let it was right for me if that makes sense !!!
The piece comes in two weeks as their store one was sold and goes away on sat they managed to trade the GMT for a sub at another branch so I'm well happy and slightly cheaper so al good
Slight change of heart as I was 99.99% going for gmt but something just shouted at me to buy sub and preferred the non date version .
Skipped the 6-9 month wait on non date sub as paid for it there amd then to stop the price increase of 10% in October
Tbh the staff were excellent amd phoned round everywhere for me to swap their stock gmt for my sub
Thanks for all your help ..,,, one happy guy today although skint now I'm happy !!!!!!
Gareth
Congrats mate, you can't go wrong with either. The ND is a great watch
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:16 AM   #42
3903gareth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Congrats mate, you can't go wrong with either. The ND is a great watch

Thanks
I'm delighted can't wait till it arrives tbh
I liked the gmt but the sub just felt right and reading a lot about it I've made the right choice
I could've got the date but just preferred the look of non date personally although both lovely watches
6-9 month wait list here which is insane for a watch !!!
Thanks guys
Old 14 September 2017, 05:25 AM   #43
hsm
Banned

if you think about it in laymans terms and not collector/enthusiast terms
the gmt is like a sub with an extra feature for the same money,

I believe the sub came first and the gmt was modelled on it back in the 50s

I like them equally,

I have a gmt, its great, but so are subs.

However I think a gmt steel pepsi (now obsolete) or a batman is nicer than a Sub hulk.

I do think its slightly easier to get a gmt new.
hsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:31 AM   #44
3903gareth
"TRF" Member

I think your right it's easier to get a gmt
It was a big decision for me between the two but just felt the sub fitted me better and preferred it on
Then the decision was ND or date but preceded the look of ND personally although I believe the date is slightly more sought after but my personal preference was ND so went for that .
The hulk doesn't do it for me at all tbh
Old 14 September 2017, 05:36 AM   #45
hsm
Banned

you got what you wanted, and that's what its all about,

when they do the shop paperwork, ask them to print the watch serial number on your receipt along with your name and address,

its better than box and papers in my opinion.
hsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 07:29 AM   #46
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That you like is what matters most, so it's a good choice.
I've been through the same and went sub c date mostly because of GlideLock - it's really very nice and comfort is a top priority to me as it's something to be on the wrist at all times.

I like the GMT too, in terms of design is fine. But I do find the numerals a bit distracting (the first thing I spot on the bezel, almost more catchy than the dial) - this can be a pro or a con, depends on taste, really.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 07:32 AM   #47
Twin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Sub..
Twin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:03 AM   #48
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Well guys
Gareth

Congrats, it really pays to try them on in person before buying as you found out. Now the two week waiting period begins, it may seem like months once you get it but it'll be worth it!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote