The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2018, 04:25 AM   #31
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
sorry to hear.

unfort, lessons learnt when selling are never post / share pics of the 1) receipt and 2) serial # card / rehaut.

if i ever sell my watches purchased from ADs in the distant future, i won't include the orig sales receipt anymore. let rolex call me down the road if the new owner needs work by a RSC.

note: my local AD rep did mention multiple times that rolex is watching online sites (ebay, some swiss watch named site and chrono24 were told to me as examples) but did not post it because it would have turned into another "hey, read what my ad told me today" post :)
I totally agree with this that we should NOT include the original receipt when trading or selling our Watch. This is important in order to protect the AD.
Old 29 August 2018, 04:27 AM   #32
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Heard of this exact scenario happening multiple times over a year ago in the UK so we are all blasé about it now... Rolex will threaten, interfere and do what they like as they hold all the cards and any ADs or customers who don't play ball will be noted, that's just the way it is and it's spreading as the market is getting no better.
They hold all the ROLEX cards. There are many great card companies.

Capitalism cannot be stopped.
Old 29 August 2018, 04:37 AM   #33
BT1985
"TRF" Member

I could understand a demerit system where ADs that are egregious offenders get allocated less of the choice references. That would just be a way for Rolex to steer consumers to the ADs that play fair. It’s funny, I read a lot of people that bash ADs for selling to flippers that then bash Rolex for trying to do something about it. To a certain extent these actions taken by Rolex have worked. The new policy that most ADs have implemented per Rolex of only selling face to face only and preferably to those with a local state drivers license or a certain mile radius to the storefront has been beneficial to consumers in smaller markets. I travel a lot and have seen a good amount of small market ADs that have choice SS sports models in the display. They can’t please everyone but it does give the ADs something to think about when selling and incentivizes them to vet and sell to those that actually want to wear the watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2018, 05:01 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
They hold all the ROLEX cards. There are many great card companies.

Capitalism cannot be stopped.
There's only Omega and Breitling etc and they don't seem to be cutting into Rolex's monopoly one little bit and Rolex knows it.

Before all this hype nonsense began Rolex already had 9 of the top 10 best selling watches over £5k and they probably have that last one now too.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:11 AM   #35
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Rolex sells watches, not life support systems. They sell a want and not a need. Plenty of other luxury watch brands out there to run to if Rolex is intent on driving away its customers with absurd behavior.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:15 AM   #36
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I wanted a SS Sub, so in July I went to an AD and was laughed at for expecting to see a sub in their display case. Was told the wait list was 1-2 years and only for established clientele.

I walked out with a Milgauss figuring let me establish some sort of "cred" with these folks, 2-3 weeks ago I sold it, and bought a pre owned Sub here on the forums with the money I made on the Milgauss.

I just recently bought a basically new black GMT master II for a nice price from bobs (atleast IMO), and I love it.

If I get a call from the AD because the Milgauss I purchased is for sale somewhere else I'm going to LMAO until they hang up the phone.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:20 AM   #37
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I could understand a demerit system where ADs that are egregious offenders get allocated less of the choice references. That would just be a way for Rolex to steer consumers to the ADs that play fair. It’s funny, I read a lot of people that bash ADs for selling to flippers that then bash Rolex for trying to do something about it. To a certain extent these actions taken by Rolex have worked. The new policy that most ADs have implemented per Rolex of only selling face to face only and preferably to those with a local state drivers license or a certain mile radius to the storefront has been beneficial to consumers in smaller markets. I travel a lot and have seen a good amount of small market ADs that have choice SS sports models in the display. They can’t please everyone but it does give the ADs something to think about when selling and incentivizes them to vet and sell to those that actually want to wear the watches.

I'm on the road a lot for work and was in Tyler a few weeks ago. The AD there had a decent selection and after shooting the bull with them for a while in person I'm now "eligible" to buy over the phone with em.

When the time comes to get a new piece, my guy there (family owned) said to let him know.

Small town AD's are completely different than the ones I've been in while in Dallas, Boston, San Diego, San Fran, and Miami.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:22 AM   #38
MinMay
Banned

Even all of this....all of you will continue to buy Rolex LOL. Just admit it, they can't do anything wrong :)
Old 29 August 2018, 05:24 AM   #39
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
This is nonsense
Old 29 August 2018, 05:25 AM   #40
greanie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Even all of this....all of you will continue to buy Rolex LOL. Just admit it, they can't do no wrong :)

+1

Old 29 August 2018, 05:27 AM   #41
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Starting to look more and more like the next, if ever, watch I buy will be a Breitling or an Omega. Rolex is losing my interest with these crazy policies.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:32 AM   #42
R!$
Banned

Icon10

Thats why I tell my AD to give me unopened watches
Old 29 August 2018, 05:36 AM   #43
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
Starting to look more and more like the next, if ever, watch I buy will be a Breitling or an Omega. Rolex is losing my interest with these crazy policies.
I am already there. Last three purchases were Breitling. Looking to buy a Rolex between now and year end as a retirement present to self but if nonsense still going on, I guess it will be another Breitling.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:06 AM   #44
TTAlex
"TRF" Member

About four or five months ago, I traded a Bluesy to a known and trusted seller here, with cash, for a nice watch. A month or so later, the AD that sold me the Bluesy asks if I sold it. I said I traded it. They told me this happened:

- The trusted seller here turned the watch around to a retailer he knows.
- Via the serial number, that retailer found out I got a decent discount on the watch, and the identity of my AD.
- This made the retailer (the current owner of the watch) upset, and they notified Rolex.
- Rolex called the owner of my AD, and significant trouble ensued. Owner told told my salesperson that she would be fired if this happened again.

I was lectured to for doing as I wished with my own property.

Of course, this was the first (of two) watches I'd ever flipped in my life, and the only watch of the two with my name on it.

Since then, the AD is happy to sell to me at full retail price only, and will not discuss a discount on principle.

They also requested that I bring in a brand new BLNR that I was holding as a gift for my father, under the auspices of checking to make sure they gave me the right serial number warranty card, brought the box to a back room, and removed all of the stickers without telling me what they were doing. So that I couldn't sell it with stickers, probably. To protect themselves.

The entire interaction was a terrible experience for me. Since that exchange, I've purchased three nice watches, for many tens of thousands of dollars, but not one dollar has gone to that AD, 10 minutes from my house. I tried more than once, but they refused to entertain any discussion on reducing the MSRP on watches that normally get discounted. So I went elsewhere, to other ADs, out of state, who were happy to have my business AND offer a nice discount.

There you go.

Rolex.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:09 AM   #45
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
what I want to know is, is there a time frame after we purchase a SS sport that after which, will be ok to sell/trade? If Rolex is going to have these kind of strict rules, at least they need to be clearly announced to the AD and AD to customers. I dislike the sneakiness of buying back the watch and blacklist the customer. Many who bought a rolex simply doesn't know that they can't sell it a week later if they don't like it.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:16 AM   #46
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTAlex View Post
About four or five months ago, I traded a Bluesy to a known and trusted seller here, with cash, for a nice watch. A month or so later, the AD that sold me the Bluesy asks if I sold it. I said I traded it. They told me this happened:

- Via the serial number, that retailer found out I got a decent discount on the watch, and the identity of my AD.
- This made the retailer (the current owner of the watch) upset, and they notified Rolex.
- Rolex called the owner of my AD, and significant trouble ensued. Owner told told my salesperson that she would be fired if this happened again.

Of course, this was the first (of two) watches I'd ever flipped in my life, and the only watch of the two with my name on it.

Since then, the AD is happy to sell to me at full retail price only, and will not discuss a discount on principle.

They also requested that I bring in a brand new BLNR that I was holding as a gift for my father, under the auspices of checking to make sure they gave me the right serial number warranty card, brought the box to a back room, and removed all of the stickers without telling me what they were doing. So that I couldn't sell it with stickers, probably. To protect themselves.

The entire interaction was a terrible experience for me. Since that exchange, I've purchased three nice watches, for many tens of thousands of dollars, but not one dollar has gone to that AD, 10 minutes from my house. I tried more than once, but they refused to entertain any discussion on reducing the MSRP on watches that normally get discounted. So I went elsewhere, to other ADs, out of state, who were happy to have my business AND offer a nice discount.

There you go.

Rolex.
I would have told this AD to go F*%ck themselves and that there was no way I was bringing a piece of my property back for them to "check"

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 29 August 2018, 07:18 AM   #47
TTAlex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I would have told this AD to go F*%ck themselves and that there was no way I was bringing a piece of my property back for them to "check"
Yep. But they told me I may not have the right warranty card with the watch, and they need to check it. I didn't know what they were actually going to do.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:19 AM   #48
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This. What are we even talking about here...
Old 29 August 2018, 07:19 AM   #49
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep. But they told me I may not have the right warranty card with the watch, and they need to check it. I didn't know what they were actually going to do.
So they deceived you, simply put.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:20 AM   #50
TTAlex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
So they deceived you, simply put.
Yep, they tricked me. Nice, right?
Old 29 August 2018, 07:23 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

There you go.

Rolex.
Quote:
Took the words out of my mouth Jason! These people must be high. There are hundreds of retail outlets I can give my business if not thousands for rolex. Of all the companies I buy from I think AP has the best strategy going forward. They are taking the LV approach and selling the product themselves.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:24 AM   #52
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Wait a minute, I call BS to this story.
O I believe the AD called the OP, but the story that Rolex called the AD. You are telling me that someone at Rolex is watching this stuff on watch forums? They produce tons of watches each year, and they have time and an employee to flag this?
I think this: An employee at the AD spotted the listing, and they called you and used the BS story about Rolex calling them.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:25 AM   #53
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
I would let the AD (and Rolex UK) know they can buy the watch back but as a condition Rolex needs to send a new SS BLRO that you can purchase as a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 29 August 2018, 07:25 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
You should have asked to try on a day date then slipped and fell on the floor sending it across the room
Old 29 August 2018, 07:26 AM   #55
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Qadri View Post
The AD mentioned they are willing to buy back the watch and refund me all my money. This despite that I have had the watch for 5 months.
What would that accomplish? lol
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
Old 29 August 2018, 07:29 AM   #56
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Couldn't you have just brought the card? That's messed up that they removed the stickers without telling you.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:34 AM   #57
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What they did to your watch is straight up vandalism. As in an actual crime.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:39 AM   #58
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Wait a minute, I call BS to this story.
O I believe the AD called the OP, but the story that Rolex called the AD. You are telling me that someone at Rolex is watching this stuff on watch forums? They produce tons of watches each year, and they have time and an employee to flag this?
I think this: An employee at the AD spotted the listing, and they called you and used the BS story about Rolex calling them.
they have programs that would ping them whenever rolex full serial numbers show up on sites like google/chrono24/watch forums. watches with serial number censored can fly under the radar.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:40 AM   #59
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100%. Never going to happen. If I got home and all of the stickers were taken off... wow. I am worked up just thinking about it! There is zero chance I would have ever taken anything back to them so they can verify if I still had a certain product. Can you imagine this happening in any other scenario?

I might play nice then put the next watch right on eBay, full serial numbers exposed and name, then never return again
Old 29 August 2018, 07:41 AM   #60
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
I wanted a SS Sub, so in July I went to an AD and was laughed at for expecting to see a sub in their display case. Was told the wait list was 1-2 years and only for established clientele.

I walked out with a Milgauss figuring let me establish some sort of "cred" with these folks, 2-3 weeks ago I sold it, and bought a pre owned Sub here on the forums with the money I made on the Milgauss.

I just recently bought a basically new black GMT master II for a nice price from bobs (atleast IMO), and I love it.

If I get a call from the AD because the Milgauss I purchased is for sale somewhere else I'm going to LMAO until they hang up the phone.
Established clientele and a 2 year wait for a sub These AD's continue to bring me joy.
Closed Thread

Tags
ad experience , tracing