The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2019, 03:47 AM   #31
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Does the man emulate the watch, or the watch emulate the man?
Is the particular watch endowed with mystical properties that wearer might be exposed to?
For myself, a watch is just a watch, be it plain and simple, or with multiple complications.
To connect a watch with a movie star: first consider what is a movie star. An individual who acts out fantasies created by a writer, author, screenplay writer.
What would be the bid for a watch worn by; Stalin, Hitler or Mao? Three real individuals remembered, not as movie stars, but as three men who changed the course of history in the 20th century. As new generations of movie goers, flocking to see fictitious action figures, how many will even know of Newman or Brando.
To pay huge sums of money for a watch, not valued for its own qualities, but for having been the property of a Hollywood actor is to me ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:52 AM   #32
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Does the man emulate the watch, or the watch emulate the man?
Is the particular watch endowed with mystical properties that wearer might be exposed to?
For myself, a watch is just a watch, be it plain and simple, or with multiple complications.
To connect a watch with a movie star: first consider what is a movie star. An individual who acts out fantasies created by a writer, author, screenplay writer.
What would be the bid for a watch worn by; Stalin, Hitler or Mao? Three real individuals remembered, not as movie stars, but as three men who changed the course of history in the 20th century. As new generations of movie goers, flocking to see fictitious action figures, how many will even know of Newman or Brando.
To pay huge sums of money for a watch, not valued for its own qualities, but for having been the property of a Hollywood actor is to me ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Well said
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:05 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Id say he was twice the actor newman was and to be fair outside golf no ones heard of jack
You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree ... and so does the watch world

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:35 AM   #34
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
He’s no Paul Newman
True. Marlon Brando was one of the finest actors of all time. Paul Newman was good, but not quite in the same league. In terms of celebrity value and importance Brando is far ahead of Newman and that will probably be reflected in the future value of watches previously owned by them.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:44 AM   #35
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree ... and so does the watch world

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Fair comment
Old 12 December 2019, 04:52 AM   #36
absoluteczech
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerobak View Post
Can somebody explain why the final sale became 1,952,000? I believe when I watched it live yesterday it sold for 1,610,000. Do they add extra fees and commission?
perhaps after fee's. with auctions there's always fee's/premium.
absoluteczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:24 AM   #37
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Id say he was twice the actor newman was and to be fair outside golf no ones heard of jack
I beg to differ on your point regarding Jack. He is well known throughout the world among both golf fans and the general public. He has been a class act for his 60+ years as a golfer and for his charitable contributions.
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 06:21 AM   #38
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

I think Jack Nicklaus shouldn’t have tried selling his watch so soon. $1 million seems disappointing in comparison
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 06:38 AM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

PLN was also a very successful race car driver and racing team owner/co-owner. Have met him a few times... Would personally value PLN's Daytona over Brandos, though that's jmho.

Virtually no one knows of a Rolex Brando model, yet many know the Rolex Paul Newman :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 07:38 AM   #40
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
There's something to be said for the look of a bezel-less GMT Master. I for one dig it
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:11 AM   #41
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle dunes 75 View Post
I beg to differ on your point regarding Jack. He is well known throughout the world among both golf fans and the general public. He has been a class act for his 60+ years as a golfer and for his charitable contributions.
Seriously, I never heard of Jack until the news that his watch was going to be auctioned. Than I googled him and understood.
I think he is big in the US but outside not so much.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:06 AM   #42
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Seriously, I never heard of Jack until the news that his watch was going to be auctioned. Than I googled him and understood.
I think he is big in the US but outside not so much.
Jack will be 80 next month so his name and legacy may have faded somewhat especially with the younger generation but he is well known throughout the world with anyone over 40. He is arguably the greatest golfer who ever lived and is revered in many countries throughout the world.
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:11 AM   #43
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle dunes 75 View Post
i beg to differ on your point regarding jack. He is well known throughout the world among both golf fans and the general public. He has been a class act for his 60+ years as a golfer and for his charitable contributions.
x2
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:16 AM   #44
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I am 46 years old, other than the Godfather, I think of Brando as the very overweight supporting actor unfortunately. To be honest I never knew anything about the Rolex/Brando connection until now. After the Paul Newman auction I think everything else will pale in comparison.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 04:21 AM   #45
RFBHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona116518GMTLN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
I am 46 years old, other than the Godfather, I think of Brando as the very overweight supporting actor unfortunately. To be honest I never knew anything about the Rolex/Brando connection until now. After the Paul Newman auction I think everything else will pale in comparison.
Apocalypse Now.. On The Waterfront... Nominated for 7 Oscars,, won 2 best actors .... Brando is big time Hollywood.... but also a major idiot pain in the ass wack job....His best friends were Wally Cox and Michael Jackson ... Newman loved all over the place for sure... but 17 million for that watch ??? Just insane. Maybe the guy who got it just loved his salad dressing too.
RFBHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 04:30 AM   #46
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't know if this applies in the real world, the PN and the man is folkloric for WIS, but for actors Brando is the King
Agreed. And it was prominently in the movie too iirc. I think it gains value vs next time it flips.

PN value I think will remain higher. But this is a cool watch.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 07:14 AM   #47
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
does the man emulate the watch, or the watch emulate the man?
To connect a watch with a movie star: First consider what is a movie star. An individual who acts out fantasies created by a writer, author, screenplay writer.
What would be the bid for a watch worn by; stalin, hitler or mao? Three real individuals remembered, not as movie stars, but as three men who changed the course of history in the 20th century. As new generations of movie goers, flocking to see fictitious action figures, how many will even know of newman or brando.
To pay huge sums of money for a watch, not valued for its own qualities, but for having been the property of a hollywood actor is to me ridiculous.

+1

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 07:56 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
Brando, Newman and James Dean when they were young were three of the best looking and coolest men who ever lived, and then on top of that one of them goes on to invent modern acting in the naturalistic style that every actor tries to emulate today, so that is why Brando is regarded above all other actors; and Hollywood is a huge industry, bigger than any other really, certainly in entertainment, so a watch worn by Brando in a huge film would be expected to sell very well. The PN watch for WIS is thus like Brando's Oscar for On the Waterfront which I presume would today sell for crazy numbers for an award, if it was allowed.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote