The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2021, 01:44 AM   #31
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Never owned a Speedmaster but I vote for it anyway
Old 6 October 2021, 01:52 AM   #32
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Lol, ban this guy
Old 6 October 2021, 01:55 AM   #33
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have the blue 2020 Tokyo Olympics Speedmaster but really want one of these white/Panda versions. Unfortunately they are trading at a $5000 premium over the other colors. The ceramic Daytona does nothing for me, even at MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 01:59 AM   #34
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Black bay chrono is a great watch. Funny to see people crow about the thickness actually amusing as often the same people have no issues with the thickness of the sea dweller and the like. Zenith and speedy pro are 2 of the most important watches ever made and are far more significant than the Daytona in all aspects other than hype. Daytona has actually little “heritage” that does not come from celebrity affiliation. The Daytona is also 13 k retail, 35k at the gray and the subdials not legible.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:12 AM   #35
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

I think there are a few things to think about with regards to your question. You say you are not a chronograph guy but are lusting after a Daytona. What specifically changed your mind to be interested in a Daytona? Three things come to mind for me:

1. Chronograph Functionality: Are you planning on using the timing capabilities of the chronograph? If so, there are several watches that would suit you (Speedmaster, Zenith Chronomaster Sport, Breitling Chronomat, IWC spitfire). Most have been mentioned in this thread already but you really have you choice of look and price point.

2. Looks: The watch that looks the closed to the Daytona is the Zenith Chronomaster Sport (maybe even better then the Rolex). For me, there are a pros and cons to this watch. I love the tri-colored sub dials and the exhibition case back, but the sub dials overlap slightly which can make the chrono tough to read. Also, the date window is just kind of awkwardly thrown on the dial and doesn't do anything for me. Also, I think this watch is slightly bigger then the Daytona at 42 mm.

3. Hype/Investment: As everyone knows, many people covet the Daytona from their AD because of the value getting one MSRP represents. If so, you probably don't need a Daytona....pretty much any Rolex Sub, GMT, SkyD, would do just fine....or of course and sport model from AP, PP.
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:13 AM   #36
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
Zenith Chronomaster Sport

This! The Daytona has Zenith El Primero Chronomaster DNA and the Zenith has a date window and 1/10th second timing increments. It's better and less expensive than the Daytona... and it's available NOW.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:16 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The problem is, next best things rarely work out…. You always will want what the heart wants
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:38 AM   #38
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwalter80 View Post
I think there are a few things to think about with regards to your question. You say you are not a chronograph guy but are lusting after a Daytona. What specifically changed your mind to be interested in a Daytona? Three things come to mind for me:

1. Chronograph Functionality: Are you planning on using the timing capabilities of the chronograph? If so, there are several watches that would suit you (Speedmaster, Zenith Chronomaster Sport, Breitling Chronomat, IWC spitfire). Most have been mentioned in this thread already but you really have you choice of look and price point.

2. Looks: The watch that looks the closed to the Daytona is the Zenith Chronomaster Sport (maybe even better then the Rolex). For me, there are a pros and cons to this watch. I love the tri-colored sub dials and the exhibition case back, but the sub dials overlap slightly which can make the chrono tough to read. Also, the date window is just kind of awkwardly thrown on the dial and doesn't do anything for me. Also, I think this watch is slightly bigger then the Daytona at 42 mm.

3. Hype/Investment: As everyone knows, many people covet the Daytona from their AD because of the value getting one MSRP represents. If so, you probably don't need a Daytona....pretty much any Rolex Sub, GMT, SkyD, would do just fine....or of course and sport model from AP, PP.

Good perspective.

Irony: The former ceo of Zenith is the current CEO of Rolex. I wouldn’t be surprised if Zenith had this on the horizon but didn’t have the $ to make it happen. The coincidence is striking and the movement can trace roots to the former Daytona movement, which Zenith supplied Rolex with.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:46 AM   #39
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I'd argue that the Daytona is the next best thing to a Speedmaster

They did a killer job with this watch. I tried it on a while back, it’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:47 AM   #40
Ungucpho
Banned

I’m a fan of IWC

In house movement
Day and date complication
Quick change bracelet
Micro adjustment on clasp
Can buy at an AD with a discount
Multiple strap options, leather, bracelet, nato, rubber

Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:58 AM   #41
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
Speed Master Pro man on the moon is my go to chrono. Better looking and more legible than the Daytona (IMHO). And cannot argue the history of the Speedy.

They were an absolute steal not long ago. Just found the receipt for mine from 18 years ago. Was under $3K with tax new from an AD!

Lately I have also been eyeing the Zenith Chronosport with the 1/10 second sweeping timer. Great looking watch- awesome movement- and has a lot of history with Rolex having provided the movements on the 16520 series.
Old 6 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #42
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Good perspective.

Irony: The former ceo of Zenith is the current CEO of Rolex. I wouldn’t be surprised if Zenith had this on the horizon but didn’t have the $ to make it happen. The coincidence is striking and the movement can trace roots to the former Daytona movement, which Zenith supplied Rolex with.
I did not know about the CEO but I wonder how Rolex feels about the company headed up by their former CEO making a near clone of one of their watches.
Old 6 October 2021, 03:08 AM   #43
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

My favorite chronographs other than the Rolex Daytona would be the Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch manual wind variant and the AP Royal Oak Chronograph (not Offshore). The Daytona, Speedmaster, and Royal Oak Chronograph are all beautiful, comfortable, and daily wearable.
Old 6 October 2021, 03:11 AM   #44
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The problem is, next best things rarely work out…. You always will want what the heart wants
That is definitely true if a person really wants..but can't get at a reasonable price...the Daytona. I know many are so enamored with the Daytona that they can't imagine anyone not wanting one but I simply don't care for the ceramic version. I honestly would not buy one at retail if offered...other than maybe to flip.

So for me, I am not viewing this as a question of what watch is most like the Daytona but what chronograph do I like better than the Daytona.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:11 AM   #45
speedbird90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610LV
Omega Speedmaster Professional “Mitsukoshi” 3570.31 does it for me.

I'd say no to that Tudor.
speedbird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:17 AM   #46
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I would not want a look alike Daytona. The real deal is something you have to wear to understand. That said having both a Panda and a 3572 Speedy the value play is there on a Speedmaster. If you want a classic chrono get a used Speedmaster. If you want the Daytona you can always sell the Speedmaster in the future.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:20 AM   #47
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungucpho View Post
I’m a fan of IWC

In house movement
Quick change bracelet

Yep, this one exactly is on my list, fighting against Zenith Chronomaster Sport.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:22 AM   #48
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster trumps Daytona unless you want to go swimming with it. Never understood why people want a Daytona. It’s barely legible.
And for something more related even the Tudor Heritage chrono I find way more interesting.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:23 AM   #49
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungucpho View Post
I’m a fan of IWC

In house movement
Quick change bracelet

Yes! That one’s a winner also.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:25 AM   #50
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
IMO you'll never really be satisfied till you have the watch you truly want. That said, if you asked the same of let's say a 14060 vs a tudor bb58, i'd maintain that you still likely won't ultimately be satisfied but the tudor would be a much better hold over.

In the case of the Daytona and BB Chrono, I find them to be too different. The BBs are very thick and big in comparison to the daytona. They're no where near as comfortable IMO and while it's good for them to be different, i just don't think it would quench that thirst.

I like the idea of going for a speedy. Also very different than a daytona, but a watch that anyone would be lucky to have in their collection.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:38 AM   #51
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I have, and love a Daytona, but my classic Speedmaster Pro is worth a look if you want to add a great chronograph to your collection.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 04:12 AM   #52
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Lots of great choices available in chronographs. I wouldn't think of them as substitutes for the Daytona though, as they are great watches in their own right.
The Speedmaster Pro (1861 movement) would be my first choice but others would be the El Primero, TAG Heuer Carrera 160th Anniversary, Breitling Navitimer and the Breguet Type XX or XXI.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 04:19 AM   #53
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
IMO you'll never really be satisfied till you have the watch you truly want.
This

This is the equivalent of buying a brand new Mercedes S550 and having an S63 pull up next to you.
Old 6 October 2021, 04:48 AM   #54
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Curious how many folks have nothing but negative to say about the Daytona. Is it just to reduce the frustration due to lack of availability? Sorta like the fat guy talking about a hot chicks pointy elbows…

I think a speedy is the best alternative. It is cool enough to stand on its own rather than be a “Daytona alternative”. I would like to get one someday and have a black Daytona ceramic.

Trying to get something Daytona “like” will just lead to disappointment.

However if you just want a cool chrono there’s a lot that are pretty great on their own. I do like the IWC shown and it’s not Daytona like at all. I even like some of the tag carerras.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:16 AM   #55
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Curious how many folks have nothing but negative to say about the Daytona. Is it just to reduce the frustration due to lack of availability? Sorta like the fat guy talking about a hot chicks pointy elbows…
Ha!

If I wanted one I would’ve bought one when it wasn’t that hard to find them, but there is nothing I like about them.

Modern versions also have one thing that makes me cringe, I just can’t un-see it. The sub dial at 9 o’clock has the 6 flipped to read from outside the dial when all the other numbers read from within the dial. I get why they did it but it’s so unbalanced it hurts. Should’ve just gone 4 8 12 in keeping with the rest of the watch so all the numbers faced the same way.

Horrible to look at.
Old 6 October 2021, 05:32 AM   #56
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Autavia 2446c

Not my picture.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:51 AM   #57
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Me, I’d buy a 321 speedmaster and be done. In fact, that’s what I did and no regrets at all. It’s an amazing watch
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:53 AM   #58
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:53 AM   #59
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
I've fallen in love with Tudor and maybe this is my next move.
I love my Tudors and highly recommend getting one. I don’t have the chrono, but it would be an awesome start. A bit more rugged than the Daytona, yet still has great design and wearability.

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:59 AM   #60
Beto737
"TRF" Member

A 321 Ed White Speedmaster would be my ultimate consolation prize. In lieu of that, a Speedmaster sandwich would suffice.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote