The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2022, 11:59 PM   #31
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Interesting that Samsung isn't on anyone's list anymore.
I love my Samsung Frame TV that I bought for our new fireplace during our great room remodel in 2020. The picture quality is amazing and it is only about an inch thick and looks exactly like a picture frame. The best part is you don't have to deal with all of those wires and cables. The panel itself connects to a separate box via a single fiber optic cable that is easily run through the wall using conduit. Then you hide the box somewhere else and connect all of your stuff to that. The box handles the power, too.

With the art mode I've got tons of artwork going when the TV is in standby.

I love it so much that I'm planning to get another one for my family room.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 01:11 AM   #32
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I too am surprised. Additionally, when I googled best tv 2022, LG and Sony are at the top, Samsung not the star it used to be.
Clockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 01:18 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockmeister View Post
I too am surprised. Additionally, when I googled best tv 2022, LG and Sony are at the top, Samsung not the star it used to be.
All my TVs are Samsung and 5+ years old.

They are still fine but Samsung seems to have lost it's luster somewhat recently.
Old 24 July 2022, 01:23 AM   #34
T4ME
"TRF" Member

I believe Sony makes the best tv's. Ben rocking the Bravia XBR 70 INCH 4k -3d for a few years now. I would stay away from Samsung they do not seem to last, and they get white cloud spots on the screen eventually.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 03:18 AM   #35
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
How bad is the burn in with oled ? I watch stock tickers on fox business and cnbc routinely.
older models are horrible... one reason I am going to upgrade even though my current C7 performs magnificently. i have extreme burn in in the red spectrum from the youtube logo. it seems as though the reds really do damage.

the NEW EVO panels have heat sinks that help with this SIGNIFICANTLY, but it is always going to be an issue with static images on an OLED. for daily viewing with hours and hours of uninterrupted static images, I would personally opt for a QLED. if you want outright performance, get an OLED>
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 03:58 AM   #36
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
older models are horrible... one reason I am going to upgrade even though my current C7 performs magnificently. i have extreme burn in in the red spectrum from the youtube logo. it seems as though the reds really do damage.

the NEW EVO panels have heat sinks that help with this SIGNIFICANTLY, but it is always going to be an issue with static images on an OLED. for daily viewing with hours and hours of uninterrupted static images, I would personally opt for a QLED. if you want outright performance, get an OLED>
I need to see the differences between Oled and Qled.
If there is not a significant difference, I’d feel more comfortable with a tv that will not have burn in. Every time one of us pauses whatever we are watching would leave me with something else to worry about.
Old 24 July 2022, 04:00 AM   #37
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

My son has a Samsung QLED 8K 75” (bought approximately 3 years ago) and the picture seems fine to me. Thoughts on this model?
Exact model is:
QN75Q800TA

Last edited by Clockmeister; 24 July 2022 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: Add more information
Old 24 July 2022, 04:20 AM   #38
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
If there is not a significant difference, I’d feel more comfortable with a tv that will not have burn in. Every time one of us pauses whatever we are watching would leave me with something else to worry about.
THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT differences between a LED and an OLED... significant.

LED monitors use a base layer of several white LEDs to illuminate a panel and this led light shows thru a color filter that divides the light into a color spectrum... cheap to manufacture but it suffers from lack of ability to create true black levels. the positives are that they are brighter so are better for rooms with a lot of sun light during the day, at night is doesn't matter. they have tried to get around the lack of 'blackness' by using 'local area dimming' to create an illusions of darkness, but it can't compete with OLED but they can run all day long at full brightness with zero issues... OLED's are more fragile, but are far superior in dynamic range and visual experience.

OLED are 'self emissive' in that EACH INDIVIDUAL PIXEL is illuminated and emits light. it creates true black levels by being able to turn off each pixel individually. OLED's can also more closely simulate REC2020 and a much wider color gamut. expensive to manufacture.

you want the best... or do you want pretty darn good?
Old 24 July 2022, 05:44 AM   #39
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT differences between a LED and an OLED... significant.

LED monitors use a base layer of several white LEDs to illuminate a panel and this led light shows thru a color filter that divides the light into a color spectrum... cheap to manufacture but it suffers from lack of ability to create true black levels. the positives are that they are brighter so are better for rooms with a lot of sun light during the day, at night is doesn't matter. they have tried to get around the lack of 'blackness' by using 'local area dimming' to create an illusions of darkness, but it can't compete with OLED but they can run all day long at full brightness with zero issues... OLED's are more fragile, but are far superior in dynamic range and visual experience.

OLED are 'self emissive' in that EACH INDIVIDUAL PIXEL is illuminated and emits light. it creates true black levels by being able to turn off each pixel individually. OLED's can also more closely simulate REC2020 and a much wider color gamut. expensive to manufacture.

you want the best... or do you want pretty darn good?
What is the average (for most people) length of time Oleds begin to have burn in?
Old 24 July 2022, 09:38 AM   #40
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Sony XBR ?
Old 24 July 2022, 09:48 AM   #41
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
What is the average (for most people) length of time Oleds begin to have burn in?
I have had the LG 65" OLED since May 2017. The picture quality is the same as when new.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 09:56 AM   #42
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
usually measured in hours... there is NO standard. there are many factors including color of static image, brightness and length of time.

if you're not looking for outright performance, get a Samsung QLED, if you want outright performance for Films, all other issues are moot including burn in.

Even though my current OLED has ghosted images in the upper corner of my screen, the panel performs magnificently and is wonderful... I just want a larger panel.

zero banding:

fantastic black levels

Old 24 July 2022, 09:25 PM   #43
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Thoughts on Sony XBR ?
I have an XBR that I bought new in 2002-2003. The picture is still as good as when it was new. It was the primary TV in the living room for about eight years. Now it's in another room so it doesn't get used as much.
Old 24 July 2022, 10:49 PM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Looks like someone thinks they’re ok

Quote:

if you're not looking for outright performance, get a Samsung QLED, if you want outright performance for Films, all other issues are moot including burn in.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 12:42 AM   #45
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/Rc_NNjV0s1o
Old 25 July 2022, 01:10 AM   #46
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Interestingly as someone who printed black and white and color photographs for many years and has watched still photographs, since the easy manipulation of digital by most people, that color saturation has been increased so much lately to the point of looking surreal.

You see it in posted pictures, photographs in galleries and on what people most want in their TV and their computer screens.

Over color saturation of the images. And the increase in contrast.

An enhanced reality.
Old 25 July 2022, 01:40 AM   #47
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Interestingly as someone who printed black and white and color photographs for many years and has watched still photographs, since the easy manipulation of digital by most people, that color saturation has been increased so much lately to the point of looking surreal.

You see it in posted pictures, photographs in galleries and on what people most want in their TV and their computer screens.

An enhanced reality.

Rear Window was Produced using 'Technicolor' processing...

as an art director for nearly 40 years, I know what I am talking about and I hear what you are saying... but those are factory coloration's based on the Film Makers intent. After calibration, I am CERTAINLY not augmenting picture saturation for every movie... and I CERTAINLY do not watch in 'Vivid' mode. The Rear Window is a prime example off the black level achievable with OLED technology... LED can not get close to that

that is the same movie during the same viewing... color saturation's have changed because of control issues of Film processing or perhaps even the film makers desire to convey a meaning/feeling during that close up.
Old 25 July 2022, 01:56 AM   #48
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rear Window was Produced using 'Technicolor' processing...

as an art director for nearly 40 years, I know what I am talking about and I hear what you are saying... but those are factory coloration's based on the Film Makers intent. After calibration, I am CERTAINLY not augmenting picture saturation for every movie... and I CERTAINLY do not watch in 'Vivid' mode. The Rear Window is a prime example off the black level achievable with OLED technology... LED can not get close to that

that is the same movie during the same viewing... color saturation's have changed because of control issues of Film processing or perhaps even the film makers desire to convey a meaning/feeling during that close up.
Yeah movie making techniques definitely were different and evolved since color was introduced mainstream last century.

I'm not making any judgements on what's "right or wrong", just that people are now far more drawn to over saturation and contrast than even 20 years ago.

I'm guessing that changes from tube TVs and self printing/manipulation of snapshots has had an affect on that as well.

People just want 'snappier' images.

From the screen grabs you made, and obviously its gone from TV to camera to computer, but the close up to me is very over saturated but the larger Jimmy Stewart one looks like nice window light, warm light. (Although artificial lit in the studio). But like you say, some of this is the director/cinematographer choices. Some even want desaturated and washed out for effect.
Old 25 July 2022, 02:51 AM   #49
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apologize. Wrong thread
Old 25 July 2022, 02:55 AM   #50
Clockmeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:

An enhanced reality.
Seems you’d prefer QLED for a more realistic viewing experience?
Old 25 July 2022, 04:33 AM   #51
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
There is a significant difference. OLEDs have infinite contrast and self illuminating pixels. So close to 9 million individual pixels. LCD televisions which is what QLEDs are at the end of the day just have local dimming zones. Just don’t watch cable news all day on an OLED. It’s like taking a sports car into the city to hit potholes.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 04:43 AM   #52
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Check out my earlier post for some additional content. Burn isn’t related to hours used. It’s when pixels are aged unevenly such as watching cable news where only certain pixels are at full brightness (think the idiotic Fox News alert that pulses or CNN overuse of red boxes, hate these type of things as an OLED owner). Uneven pixel aging can happen immediately. If you want to be safer you could do a 200 hour break in period with an OLED by watching only full screen (16:9 ratio) content with no screen logos for the first 200 hours. It will help pixels get past their most vulnerable period. So no gaming, no cable tv news, no guides, No Firestick type preview boxes, and more minimal and rotated use of letterbox movies and 4:3 content if you really want to watch. Ideally no closed captioning. OLED aren’t the best for all uses but nothing comes close to picture quality or motion processing for sports. For the kids to use unsupervised or for cable news I’d get a cheaper LCD/LED as a second screen for somewhere in the house to be honest. All that said the burn-in is not as big of a deal breaker as you’ll hear. You will only notice if and a big if it happens when you see a solid color screen such as a commercial with yellow, orange, red, pink type backgrounds. If very uneven maybe during a movie scene with very warm lighting. But much less a concern with the newer panels than those produced 5+ years ago.
Old 25 July 2022, 05:00 AM   #53
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems you’d prefer QLED for a more realistic viewing experience?
QLEDs are actually very unrealistic imaging. The QLEDs get blown away by the last of the Samsung plasmas from 2013 or so. OLED will be as natural as anything outside of the older Pioneer Kuro Elites. It’s tough to show OLEDs the natural image in photos as the cameras have a tendency to pick up too much light. In person (not vivid store settings but at home after proper calibration) only the Kuro Elites are similar from my experience.
Old 27 July 2022, 08:10 AM   #54
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I love my Samsung Frame TV that I bought for our new fireplace during our great room remodel in 2020. The picture quality is amazing and it is only about an inch thick and looks exactly like a picture frame. The best part is you don't have to deal with all of those wires and cables. The panel itself connects to a separate box via a single fiber optic cable that is easily run through the wall using conduit. Then you hide the box somewhere else and connect all of your stuff to that. The box handles the power, too.

With the art mode I've got tons of artwork going when the TV is in standby.

I love it so much that I'm planning to get another one for my family room.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Wow I really like this idea of running just a single cable to the display, and having all the "guts" in a separate box. Very discrete. Sort of like a split system A/C, but more streamlined.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 08:02 AM   #55
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Ahh hell…..

My 10 year old Plasma Samsung just bit the dust today and I am forced to buy another TV for the basement. It is predominantly a low lit room used by the kids and myself when I work out so I was thinking just a cheap LED would do.

Then the wife says “Why don't we move our 65” LG OLED down there and get a 75” LG C series upstairs???”

Did I mention that I love my wife???

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 02:08 PM   #56
REQUIEMnJADED4U
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C Date, Pepsi
I vouch for the LG OLED as I have the C1 and never had any issues and love the picture quality.
REQUIEMnJADED4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 04:43 PM   #57
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
It is also worth looking at the devices menu.

Sony uses Google TV, LG has its own menu system. The latter is much better, and also has a much more innovative remote control. I really like Sony's picture, but I hate its menu and the surprisingly missing functions.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2022, 02:16 AM   #58
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Ahh hell…..

My 10 year old Plasma Samsung just bit the dust today and I am forced to buy another TV for the basement. It is predominantly a low lit room used by the kids and myself when I work out so I was thinking just a cheap LED would do.

Then the wife says “Why don't we move our 65” LG OLED down there and get a 75” LG C series upstairs???”

Great wife. For me it would be impossible to go to backlit LEDs after years of self-emitting pixels of Plasma and OLED. Especially in a dark room where black levels would be atrocious with the LED. An Epson 5050UB projector is a much better option than LED as well in that setting and similar pricing to 77 inch C1/C2. Something to also consider imo
Old 18 August 2022, 09:59 AM   #59
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Ahh hell…..

sorry to hear that... Its ironic, that after sitting for YEARS, I just hooked my old Samsung 65" plasma up in the bedroom with youtubeTV and I must say, it still looks fantastic. It really shows just how great these HD monitors were even though it can't perform against my OLED, i am quite happy with it.
Old 18 August 2022, 11:58 AM   #60
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
I’ve got the LG 77 G2, it’s a simply amazing TV…. The definition is hard to believe
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7AE18EF0-1D13-46AA-995C-91B5575DA35E.jpeg (79.2 KB, 29 views)

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote