The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2022, 03:43 AM   #31
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Got it, good luck to you. You cited the same one stock I did and I have no idea what that has to do with shorting stocks and the amount of float.

It was clearly a mistake to try to have a discussion on this forum. You seem to have an agenda.
you edited your post while i was commenting but i did include 4 different stocks and 6 examples. the shorting part of my comment was referring to what i bolded about your comment on regulation and free flowing markets

your posts are all the same here. you constantly provide meaningless replies or confused emojis reading as if everything annoys you and if anyone replies anything of value or contradicting to your opinions you claim it's an agenda or this place sucks now and you're gonna stop visiting

not sure how my post possibly offended you, you asked for an example and i gave you 6. you proceed to tell me you only found one (ignoring all the others i listed) and i have an agenda lol. you posted about regulation and i replied with how institutions are shorting more of a stock than there are shares tradeable, which is my counter argument for it not being a regulated market. if this is me having an agenda and not trying to have a normal argument then i don't know what to tell you. clearly you don't want to hear any counter points so feel free to go back to your weird one liners that add nothing of value on this site. every week you seem to make a post about how it's a mistake to discuss something on this forum because you take everything personally. countless people here have good discussions while disagreeing with each other

remember this one?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=9640
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 03:47 AM   #32
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
A discussion this spirited belongs on the Patek forum.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 03:49 AM   #33
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
Very interesting article. I'm still sticking to regulated securities for the time being.
X2

Staying Diversified and Repositioning different portfolios as needed to continue to achieve our Long Term Financial Goals.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 03:58 AM   #34
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
netflix jan 20 close 507, jan 21 open ~400 - 20% down move
netflix apr 19 close 347, apr 20 open 238 - 30% down move (closed at 226 -35%)

meta feb 2 close ~325, feb 3 open 245 - 24% down move

snap oct 21 close 75, oct 22 open 58 - 22% down move. followed by 34% drop in may, 35% drop in july

amzn july 28 close 122, july 29 open 134 - 10% up move which is over 100 billion in market cap in after hours

to the bolded part - so you're saying institutions should be allowed to short 140% of a stocks public float and that's just a free flowing market? countless examples of stuff like this to manipulate price
To be fair, each one of those drops was a result of a missed earnings report. Those who were short took the same risk going into earnings as those who were long. Lots of examples of firms stock rising by similar amounts when they beat and the shorts got hammered. It's the risk one assumes when playing in the market.

No one on the right side of a trade ever has an issue with how the market operates. Solution, be on the right side of the trade.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 04:08 AM   #35
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
To be fair, each one of those drops was a result of a missed earnings report. Those who were short took the same risk going into earnings as those who were long. Lots of examples of firms stock rising by similar amounts when they beat and the shorts got hammered. It's the risk one assumes when playing in the market.

No one on the right side of a trade ever has an issue with how the market operates. Solution, be on the right side of the trade.
yeah i think the bigger issue is probably with it being done after hours which is where i feel like regulation should focus if it were a thing, but also it's weird that 2 of those companies sold off to prices seen 4-5 years ago despite obvious growth since those 4-5 years

i guess a lot of it has to do with very low liquidity in todays market which is an entirely different story. i think also when a lot of people say they prefer to stick with stocks because they're regulated they're referring to it being a lot more safe so i was just addressing that part. crypto is just in a never ending dot com bubble where you can wake up with 0 but it's obviously still easy to lose everything in stocks despite it being regulated and actual profitable companies. unless like you said, be right all the time
Old 20 August 2022, 04:22 AM   #36
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Got it, good luck to you. You cited the same one stock I did and I have no idea what that has to do with shorting stocks and the amount of float.

It was clearly a mistake to try to have a discussion on this forum. You seem to have an agenda.
I think the point Huncho was making is that we can’t accept a false dichotomy of (A) an orderly, common sense marketplace of whatever the SEC thinks is a “Security” under the terms of a statue from 1934 and (B) a Wild West crypto market. In part because any common sense regulatory regime would not allow shorts in excess of 100% of a security’s float. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the shorting activity drives prices further down, and it injects systemic risk into the system since not everyone could buy in to cover their shorts at once (since not enough shares exist).
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 04:25 AM   #37
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I think the point Huncho was making is that we can’t accept a false dichotomy of (A) an orderly, common sense marketplace of whatever the SEC thinks is a “Security” under the terms of a statue from 1934 and (B) a Wild West crypto market. In part because any common sense regulatory regime would not allow shorts in excess of 100% of a security’s float. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the shorting activity drives prices further down, and it injects systemic risk into the system since not everyone could buy in to cover their shorts at once (since not enough shares exist).
careful with your agenda there lol
Old 20 August 2022, 04:36 AM   #38
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah i think the bigger issue is probably with it being done after hours which is where i feel like regulation should focus if it were a thing, but also it's weird that 2 of those companies sold off to prices seen 4-5 years ago despite obvious growth since those 4-5 years

i guess a lot of it has to do with very low liquidity in todays market which is an entirely different story. i think also when a lot of people say they prefer to stick with stocks because they're regulated they're referring to it being a lot more safe so i was just addressing that part. crypto is just in a never ending dot com bubble where you can wake up with 0 but it's obviously still easy to lose everything in stocks despite it being regulated and actual profitable companies. unless like you said, be right all the time
I see what you are saying. There's risk in stocks just as much as crytpo. Some friendly advice from someone who's been doing this for far too long: Learn how to short. It's not easy to do and it often feels odd. But once you get that down, then mentally it doesn't matter which direction the market goes as long as you get it right. There are plenty of ETFS and other non-option devices that let you do that very easily these days. If you want a list, let me know.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 04:38 AM   #39
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Crypto is a scam IMO not because exchanges need better circuit breakers — that’s an easy fix — but because by design there are minimal protections on your ownership rights. Try to deposit Bitcoin Cash into a Bitcoin wallet, which people accidentally do all the time? Poof, your money is gone. Forget your access code or key? Poof, money is gone.
yeah crypto and crypto trading is definitely not user friendly at all. the first step to introducing an easy way to trade it is to allow a spot btc etf, which has been vehemently denied for 2 years by Gensler because, in his words, investing in btc is not safe. they allowed a useless futures etf which is not investable to the normal person due to fees and the way futures contracts roll. it's strictly for wall street to have an easier access to day trading btc without having exposure to the spot. this brings me back to the point of countless stocks of big companies down 80% which is apparently safe enough in his mind to let people continue investing in because who cares if someone bought an overvalued company in q4 last year and is down 80%? or bought an IPO that's down 90% since

the second step would be to allow exchanges to operate correctly here in the US. there's really only a few places you can buy crypto (coinbase is the biggest) but you can't really trade on these exchanges. you're limited to basic buys and sells while leverage isn't allowed in half the states. this drives everyone to off shore exchanges with actual zero regulation and obviously they can disappear whenever they want or go insolvent

we're just way too early in this whole market so i think eventually things will get fixed. everyone was excited when Gensler became the SEC commissioner because he taught blockchain at MIT, they thought he would understand and see the point of the space versus the point of views of traditional finance on wall street but it's obvious that's not the case
Old 20 August 2022, 04:45 AM   #40
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
“We positioned ourselves for a kind of market that didn’t end up happening,” Zhu says, while Davies adds, “In the good times we did the best. And then in the bad times we lost the most.”
Pathetic lol. Dubai is a paradise for anyone who did something wrong and has to go into hiding. Shouldn't be difficult to find these guys.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 04:46 AM   #41
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I see what you are saying. There's risk in stocks just as much as crytpo. Some friendly advice from someone who's been doing this for far too long: Learn how to short. It's not easy to do and it often feels odd. But once you get that down, then mentally it doesn't matter which direction the market goes as long as you get it right. There are plenty of ETFS and other non-option devices that let you do that very easily these days. If you want a list, let me know.
definitely something i need to start doing in the future. in the past i was mostly just buying very far dated atm options as a means of just investing but i wasn't at all prepared for the kind of 6 months we had this year. also should've cut my losses at some point in march but everything was happening too fast that it was hard to think straight lol. day trading is too much stress so i don't ever wanna be doing that (especially in this market) but could've handled everything way better

i think everyone's down pretty bad right now anyway so it is what it is. i'm long term very bullish on bitcoin and that's where the majority of my net worth is sitting, largely in part because i've been in since 3-4k. i still don't think we'd be down to the prices we're at if it weren't for what this actual thread was opened about lol
Old 20 August 2022, 07:02 AM   #42
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
you edited your post while i was commenting but i did include 4 different stocks and 6 examples. the shorting part of my comment was referring to what i bolded about your comment on regulation and free flowing markets

your posts are all the same here. you constantly provide meaningless replies or confused emojis reading as if everything annoys you and if anyone replies anything of value or contradicting to your opinions you claim it's an agenda or this place sucks now and you're gonna stop visiting

not sure how my post possibly offended you, you asked for an example and i gave you 6. you proceed to tell me you only found one (ignoring all the others i listed) and i have an agenda lol. you posted about regulation and i replied with how institutions are shorting more of a stock than there are shares tradeable, which is my counter argument for it not being a regulated market. if this is me having an agenda and not trying to have a normal argument then i don't know what to tell you. clearly you don't want to hear any counter points so feel free to go back to your weird one liners that add nothing of value on this site. every week you seem to make a post about how it's a mistake to discuss something on this forum because you take everything personally. countless people here have good discussions while disagreeing with each other

remember this one?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=9640
We’ve had various members since I joined who present their opinion as incontrovertible fact and are an expert on everything. I’ve generally always attempted to engage these members productively and in good faith.

But in the end, there are people whose egos cannot tolerate disagreement. Several of them, usually folks with big ticket collections, have been banned for lashing out at anyone who challenges them or just attacking anyone they see as their inferior (Which is essentially everyone). Because they made money doing one thing well (or inherited the money and are LARPing as a success), they assume they know best about everything and that’s that.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 05:11 AM   #43
OverGeared
"TRF" Member

One of my favorite websites of the last six months or so has been web3isgoinggreat.com. It's an unfiltered look into how crypto and NFTs are working fully as intended.
OverGeared is offline   Reply With Quote