The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2023, 11:22 AM   #31
SolanaWatches
2024 Pledge Member

There are two iconic pieces but fundamentally different. It's hard to give an opinion, especially here in a prominently-Rolex forum. In the end, only you can tell what works best for you.

But first, you need to go try both on and see how they feel. Once you've made up your mind, you can either pick up the Speedy same day from the AD, or wait 11 years to maybe potentially get one from the Rolex AD. Or go grey, haha.
SolanaWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:53 AM   #32
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Since you’re coming from a glossy ceramic dial, the speedy may let you down. It did for me, it didn’t have that luxury feel that I was looking for. I also didn’t like that the dial was matte and went to gray in certain light conditions.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 12:07 PM   #33
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

I have all 3.

Multiple iterations of Speedy both vintage and modern(ish). Black Sub-date and blue 300SMP.
I can wear the Seamaster and beat the living s@#t out of it without feeling too bad, the most rugged and reliable of the three.
The Sub feels more like jewelry and I exercise caution while wearing it out in public.
The Speedy (one of them the first nice watch I purchased off EBAY 25 years ago, full set) is just cool and iconographic with the NASA roots. I would wear it in water only to wash dishes.
All three have their place in my rotation.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 12:10 PM   #34
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Buy the sub. Trade the seamaster for a speedy. Then you’ll have both brand’s icons.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 12:12 PM   #35
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Speedy for me!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 01:01 PM   #36
htm998
Banned

Speedy will be much easier to acquire
htm998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 01:03 PM   #37
hanw
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome OP. Both watches are awesome but the Sub wins it always.
hanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 01:58 PM   #38
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Submariner vs. Speedmaster Professional

I have all three watch at one point.

If you can, buy both Sub and SMP.

I like seamaster but will never buy it again. SMP is the only Omega I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:11 PM   #39
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Green sub (because it’s a 40th birthday) . Sell the sea master for the speedy and call it a day.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:12 PM   #40
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Once you have them both in your hand you know.

Submariner, speedy is nice on pics only imho
Old 6 June 2023, 02:30 PM   #41
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Speedy is substantially praised on all the watch forums, but a snoozer for me. Sub all the way.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:46 PM   #42
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

I never wear my black sub--probably because I have a Speedy and a Hulk. That said, it's questionable whether you should swim in a speedy, so if this is a one watch collection, the sub may be a bit more versatile in that regard.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 03:30 PM   #43
RogerOP
Banned

I attest to others who said in the flesh the SMP is a bit too flat. I love the bracelet and I think ironically the matte dial makes the Chrono lets OTT like a Daytona.

Same as the other thread where someone asked SMP or OP41 and the flatness of the SMP left a lot to be desired.

So really you need to decide chrono or diver.
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 03:55 PM   #44
erico
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600/SMP2541.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu.. View Post
I would say get what you want & what makes u happy......what's wrong with 2 divers......is another option selling or trading the Seamaster for the Speedy (and buying the Sub)?

Good luck with the outcome and let us know the outcome....
Flipping the Seamaster for the Speedy is a good idea in theory. But the Seamaster, while lacking the heritage and "classic" status of the other two watches, still holds some appeal to me. I was 11 when I saw Goldeneye in the movie theatre and remember thinking how cool the watch was. Also it was my first high-end watch purchase back in 2009. So I'm inclined to keep it. But I do think I have an easier time selling my wife on the Sub now for the 40th birthday occasion and potentially acquiring a Speedy later (e.g., big promotion at work, if ever) vs. the reverse order.
erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:13 PM   #45
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Get the Submariner, it's the ultimate sports watch icon.....and also it goes well with a Speedy in arms like mine(sell the Seamaster):

danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:18 PM   #46
SearChart
TechXpert

I love them both, would be a hard choice for me.
Probably leaning towards the Speedmaster as I don't have one yet, I really like that new tapered bracelet and the slightly shorter lugs.
Whereas I think the sub's bracelet and clasp should have been slightly narrower like the previous model, more tapered.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:23 PM   #47
Ketler
"TRF" Member

14060m
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:33 PM   #48
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I would keep your classic quartz Seamaster (an icon in its own right), and add the modern Submariner. Something old and something new.

The Speedmaster is great but it’s nice to have something to look forward to; when the right one crops up, you can buy it secondhand for much less than retail. But for your 40th, I’d go all out for the Sub!
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:37 PM   #49
Phwtch1
"TRF" Member

Happy birthday OP.
It's not an easy decision picking between 2 watches that one loves especially if both ticks the expectation boxes.
But in this case, I'll go for the Sub maybe not because of supremacy or anything, just my preference.
Phwtch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:48 PM   #50
Scubastu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126613LB
Hi
Welcome to the forum, I bought my first Rolex in March and like you I was always a Sub fan, I went for the Bluesy looks and feels superb.
I also like you have an Omega Seamaster and I have to admit it doesn't get a lot of wrist time now but it is a lot less blingy and flys under the radar more than the Sub so there are times that it comes out of the safe to see the light of day.
As others have said go and try some on and see what you are happiest with.
Scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 05:24 PM   #51
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
It depends on you. I own both models and, in terms of fit, they are the same, but everything else changes.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 05:55 PM   #52
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Sell the Seamaster and get a Sub and a Speedy. Great duo

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 08:00 PM   #53
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Sub without question. The Speedy is a great compliment to the Sub but not in place of it.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 08:04 PM   #54
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I would go for a variety of watch types, but if you like divers then why not have a Sub and A SM? Your watch your choice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:20 PM   #55
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Submariner hands down would be the watch. As others have said I would trade the Seamaster and pickup a Speedmaster. Might be tempted on an 1861 without a bracelet as there are so many choices aftermarket that are better than the OEM Omega bracelets. Two watch collection, Submariner-C ND and a Speedmaster. Hard to beat.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:37 PM   #56
AmgAslLolBrb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erico View Post
New to the Rolex forum here. My wife has agreed to sanction me purchasing a watch this year for my 40th and I'm debating between two: Submariner 124060 and the latest Speedmaster Professional (Hesalite).

I'm a big fan of dive watches but already own an Omega Seamaster 300M 2541.80.00. I've always liked the Sub, since I was a kid, and am leaning toward this but I'm wondering about adding another diver vs. something that will provide some more variety to my small collection (Speedy). Obviously I like the Speedy and hence the post. We are putting a pool in the backyard now so I will be spending more time in the water, which would seem to weigh in favor of the Sub. Based on looks alone, my wife prefers the Speedy. Also, should I wait until 2024 in case Rolex makes further upgrades? I think there's also something to be said for the Speedy being less known to the general public.

Thoughts?

(BTW, I realize that by posting this in The Rolex Forum there may be some bias toward the Sub, but I figure maybe some of you own both models.)
The Speedy is a cool watch, and so is the Submariner. However I find myself wearing the Submariner much more than the Speedy (maybe makes an appearance on the wrist every 1-2 weeks for a half a day).
If you have to pick one, my vote is for the Submariner. But if you can...get them both!

Quote:

AmgAslLolBrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:41 PM   #57
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Did same. Had a 114060 and the new Speedy Professional (SS). Sold the Sub to reacquire Tudor BB58 and kept Speedy. No regret whatsoever.

Last edited by Know1isgod; 7 June 2023 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Reduce words
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:47 PM   #58
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I own both watches. While I love both, the Sub is just an overall better quality watch from the bracelet to the case. I also love the glidelock on the Sub for the perfect fit. I can’t seem to get the right fit on my Speedy which is a deal breaker.

Ultimately, you can’t go wrong with either one but the Sub gets the edge for me . Good luck!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:53 PM   #59
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Submariner.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:25 PM   #60
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I have all three in some shape or form.

I acquired the Seamaster 300m first and this was my daily wearer for a while. Absolutely loved it until I picked up the Sub date two years after and since then, I rarely wear the 300m. I have debated selling it, but keeping hold of it as serves as a good back up.

I added the Speedy around 18 months ago - the latest version sapphire sandwich. This is a fantastic watch and unlike the 300m, I do find this comparable to my Rolex watches and get the same enjoyment from wearing this. I also like the fact that the speedy works great on a variety of straps, something which I don’t do with any of my Rolex.

That being said, I favour the Submariner and this easily gets most wrist time. If you can only get one, I’d go sub - but the two make a fantastic pair.

I don’t think you should hold off until 2024 - Rolex updated the submariner range in 2020 so it’s too early for a refresh now.

nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote