The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2023, 10:09 PM   #1
wesm001
"TRF" Member

I got the white gold oysterflex Daytona last month from WoS group. I was told that it was a nomination piece and the Rolex and WoS site down to pick who gets the watch. I have no reason to not believe them as they have never done me wrong before now.
wesm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 10:17 PM   #2
LondonWatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesm001 View Post
I got the white gold oysterflex Daytona last month from WoS group. I was told that it was a nomination piece and the Rolex and WoS site down to pick who gets the watch. I have no reason to not believe them as they have never done me wrong before now.
Thanks for this, I also have a lot of faith in my AD usually, and it appears it all checks out.

Would you mind me asking if they ever expressed if there was a submission process for you? or just added to your Wishlist and profile
LondonWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 10:20 PM   #3
wesm001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonWatches View Post
Thanks for this, I also have a lot of faith in my AD usually, and it appears it all checks out.

Would you mind me asking if they ever expressed if there was a submission process for you? or just added to your Wishlist and profile

no submission process for myself but I have a decent history with the same branch so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I added to my wish list 10 months ago and was told that this would be allocated by head office and Rolex.
Old 3 July 2023, 10:41 PM   #4
LondonWatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
no submission process for myself but I have a decent history with the same branch so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I added to my wish list 10 months ago and was told that this would be allocated by head office and Rolex.
Thanks for that, we are probably in the same boat and it is just a waiting game.
Congratulations on the Daytona, a great piece. Probably more sought after than the DD?

Did they let you know in advance or was it a usual it is now in stock for you?
Old 5 July 2023, 01:24 AM   #5
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but that is categorically incorrect. Rolex themselves have nothing to do with the allocation of pieces like a Daytona on OF. They have better things to do.
Whether they have any involvement in the allocation of off catalogue stuff I can't be certain, but I'm certain they have no interest in Daytonas on OF.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 04:36 PM   #6
wesm001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
I'm sorry but that is categorically incorrect. Rolex themselves have nothing to do with the allocation of pieces like a Daytona on OF. They have better things to do.
Whether they have any involvement in the allocation of off catalogue stuff I can't be certain, but I'm certain they have no interest in Daytonas on OF.
So you say it is categorically incorrect. Do you have any experience of this? It don't sound like it, it looks to be more of an opinion!

I'm only going by what I have been told by my AD so I have experience and as I said before I have no reason to nor believe him as I've never been lied to too before and have always been treated well.
Old 4 July 2023, 01:36 AM   #7
wesm001
"TRF" Member

I got a call from the sales rep who I deal with when I was out of the country on holiday, they kept the watch for a week until I was back and I went down to pick it up the day after I got back.
Old 4 July 2023, 08:15 AM   #8
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Nomination piece means a young girl straight out of high school up in head office gets to decide who gets what.
Had this conversation already at one of their AD’s.
I’ve got decent history with them having bought a number of pieces, GMT’s and DJ’s from them in the past.
I’m done. Money is going elsewhere from now on. I actually don’t want to give them my money anymore, EVER, even if my horse comes in, they can shove it.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 01:27 AM   #9
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Nomination piece means a young girl straight out of high school up in head office gets to decide who gets what.
Had this conversation already at one of their AD’s.
I’ve got decent history with them having bought a number of pieces, GMT’s and DJ’s from them in the past.
I’m done. Money is going elsewhere from now on. I actually don’t want to give them my money anymore, EVER, even if my horse comes in, they can shove it.

What on earth are you talking about??

You honestly think a school leaver at head office decides who gets the most sought after Rolex pieces? What are you smoking fella?
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:26 PM   #10
LondonWatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
What on earth are you talking about??

You honestly think a school leaver at head office decides who gets the most sought after Rolex pieces? What are you smoking fella?
I would like to think that it is a little more sophisticated than that haha.

I think the summary is that it is indeed a WOS policy, albeit with some grey area as to how much pull our SA's have in influencing these.
Old 6 July 2023, 06:08 PM   #11
GeorgeK
"TRF" Member

I wonder if the ADs have a private forum on which they gloat about the sh*t they made buyers do to get a watch...

"I had this customer beg and spend and crawl and grovel for 2 years, while the watch was 20ft away in the safe"
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 07:25 PM   #12
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

I really think it’s not far off
With the recent interest rate rises & another increase almost a certainty
Demand for a £30k plus watches will decrease
Congrats on the OF Daytona BTW
Jb1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 08:08 PM   #13
Palermo
"TRF" Member

It is likely that "WoS Group" are allocated the 'standard' watches from Rolex, they then dish out the watches to their Retailers (WoS, Mappin & Webb, Goldsmiths, Mayors, Betteridge and branded Boutique stores) based on the WoS Group client database. I would expect none of these retailers (AD's) are really in control of what comes in and how it gets distributed.
I had to go through the 'we need to do a bio on you' routine to get a 'signature' piece I wanted, and consider myself lucky it came through. I would suspect this is a WoS Group requirement that all their retailers/varying Jewellery companies have to adhere to so that they can control what pieces go where - and that is likely to be based on the store profit and loss figures more than anything else.
Your contacts at your local retailers (AD's) are then pressed to secure more 'add-on' sales so that they can get more allocation. I have had a good relationship with the same person in my local AD for the past 7 or so years and have never been squeezed for jewellery sales until recently.
I'm not playing the game so now waiting to see what the future holds.....
Palermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 09:48 PM   #14
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I’ve dealt with WOS. This is their common marketing they’ve recently employed to create the idea that you were the “chosen one” for a piece. It has the psychological effect of, “wow, they picked me out of all the people the could have called.” In 2021-2022 they moved most models to this strategy, even less desirable models.

Whether it is in fact rare, it creates the illusion nonetheless.

This being said, I have gotten some great pieces from WOS as long as I was consistently spending money each quarter. No more calls once I went without spend for 1-2 quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2023, 08:10 AM   #15
EssexRolex95
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

Still no update on my olive dial, wondered if anyone had seen or had any come through?

Starting to lose that little bit of excitement, as a result of feeling like it’s never happening.
EssexRolex95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2023, 08:34 AM   #16
Space1970
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexRolex95 View Post
Hi all,

Still no update on my olive dial, wondered if anyone had seen or had any come through?

Starting to lose that little bit of excitement, as a result of feeling like it’s never happening.
Is your AD Goldsmiths in Chelmsford?
Your username/location (and the member off staff recently leaving) made me assume it is

I’ve been waiting on the same watch from them for 16 months so you'd be a little ahead of me if all things were equal but I get the feeling they aren't!
Space1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2023, 10:38 PM   #17
SRG89
"TRF" Member

I'm a WOS customer - my SA is a great guy, really get on well with him. He looks after me on everything that is in his power to; he's got me a panda and a left hand GMT recently so no complaints on that front.
I've also purchased various PM pieces from him and built up quite a large spend history with him.
I've had my name put forward for various bio pieces to the area director (Meteorite GMT, Meteorite Daytona, Platinum Daytona, a couple of rare Day Dates) never once been chosen.

It may just be random and luck of the draw, we were at a Rolex Dinner a few months ago and someone on our table (who's SA is the same as mine) was allocated an OF Meteorite Daytona, by his own words he doesn't have a huge spend and was surprised to get it.

Yes its frustrating but I'm very lucky to get the pieces I have. I pretty much only focus on pieces he can control now and don't worry about the rest.

My advice is go grey!
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2023, 10:52 PM   #18
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
18 months way to long to play this game - you obviously want and can afford the watch - best to buy it from a trusted grey dealer - enjoy the watch and avoid the next price increase
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote