The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2024, 12:18 AM   #31
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
The 116500 is nicer than the 126500. If you’re in the camp of choosing latest over greatest, sure… but most choosing the 126 would be fawning over the 116 if it was the later release. Slimmer profile look (less chunky or chubby), the asymmetrical lugs are fantastic as they a) balance the case and b) are subtle yet cool and c) lack of bezel’s outer ring which looks meant for an insert vs a fully complete bezel.

When newness and lack of 126 availability wears off (it is of course currently FAR more rare as they just started production) the 116 will be the clear winner. It is actually already confirmed by pricing - such a small price premium for the 126 despite being much, much rarer (to-date) confirms it.
You have seen and worn the 12? Or are you going by pictures and videos?
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 12:55 AM   #32
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
No way.
Old 20 February 2024, 01:16 AM   #33
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Personally, I would not do this trade from a watches/diversity perspective. Financially, though, it seems like a great deal and I am having a hard time fathoming how you are getting $5k back. What kind of trade values for your pieces and prices on the 12s are you being offered? Trusted sellers would charge you $65ish for the two 12s, not seeing where your 3 pieces are worth $70k on trade.
Old 20 February 2024, 01:44 AM   #34
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 116500 is nicer than the 126500. If you’re in the camp of choosing latest over greatest, sure… but most choosing the 126 would be fawning over the 116 if it was the later release. Slimmer profile look (less chunky or chubby), the asymmetrical lugs are fantastic as they a) balance the case and b) are subtle yet cool and c) lack of bezel’s outer ring which looks meant for an insert vs a fully complete bezel.

When newness and lack of 126 availability wears off (it is of course currently FAR more rare as they just started production) the 116 will be the clear winner. It is actually already confirmed by pricing - such a small price premium for the 126 despite being much, much rarer (to-date) confirms it.
A few wildly sweeping statements in there IMO.

At the end of the day, any preference of the 11 over the 12, or vice versa, is completely and utterly subjective and nothing more than individual preference, and stating one view as fact won't change that.

For example, some say the asymmetric lugs of the 116500 are fantastic as they "balance" the case (despite the fact that the 11 series WG, RG and Pt, and all OF versions had symmetrical lugs), while others will say the symmetrical lugs of the 12 series are aesthetically more balanced. Which one people prefer is just personal preference.

To the OP I'd say that if you like the 12 series more than the 11 (and the BLRO and the Snoopy) then do the trade. Watches are nothing but frivolous enjoyment, so I always say buy the thing(s) you will enjoy the most.
Old 20 February 2024, 01:45 AM   #35
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
There are 10 pages on the forum why many feel the 11 series Daytona is superior. IMO, Unless you need the $5k now for a emergency, you need to cool off and not do anything stupid with a trade until you really weigh out what you are doing and giving up.

There is a certain bias/phenomenon on here whenever a new tweaked model is released towards the old models. Largely because the people on here have the old models. I remember when the Batgirl came out and there were pages and pages about how the old release on Oyster was better and the bracelets couldn’t be swapped (untrue). Once people start obtaining the new one, it will flip. Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 01:46 AM   #36
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Black 126500 + SS BLRO on jubilee sound like the perfect pair to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
There is a certain bias/phenomenon on here whenever a new tweaked model is released towards the old models. Largely because the people on here have the old models. I remember when the Batgirl came out and there were pages and pages about how the old release on Oyster was better and the bracelets couldn’t be swapped (untrue). Once people start obtaining the new one, it will flip. Watch.
Yes, exactly....And with those who previously paid the grey premium on the 116500 being the most vocal 126500 bashers.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 01:54 AM   #37
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
A few wildly sweeping statements in there IMO.

At the end of the day, any preference of the 11 over the 12, or vice versa, is completely and utterly subjective and nothing more than individual preference, and stating one view as fact won't change that.

For example, some say the asymmetric lugs of the 116500 are fantastic as they "balance" the case (despite the fact that the 11 series WG, RG and Pt, and all OF versions had symmetrical lugs), while others will say the symmetrical lugs of the 12 series are aesthetically more balanced. Which one people prefer is just personal preference.

To the OP I'd say that if you like the 12 series more than the 11 (and the BLRO and the Snoopy) then do the trade. Watches are nothing but frivolous enjoyment, so I always say buy the thing(s) you will enjoy the most.

He’s an 11 series Daytona owner defending his team. It doesn’t really matter - prices are what they are.

Both are really extremely close. 99.9% of people cannot tell the difference on the wrist.

Old 20 February 2024, 01:59 AM   #38
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Trade these for both the 126500ln black and white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Yes, exactly....And with those who previously paid the grey premium on the 116500 being the most vocal 126500 bashers.

Imagine if you paid $50k for a white 11 series Daytona. Some people arguing not to play the AD game did.

They’ve now lost $30+k in value on the 11 series. Compounding that, it would be pretty hard to then take the position that the 12 is better.

Old 20 February 2024, 02:03 AM   #39
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

The worst part is that those supposed experts have never even seen a 126500 in person. At least have the experience with both pieces before proclaiming your opinion as gospel!
Old 20 February 2024, 02:12 AM   #40
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona

I approve.

Or keep your panda and trade to just the 12 black. Up to you of course. I love my white 126500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
The worst part is that those supposed experts have never even seen a 126500 in person. At least have the experience with both pieces before proclaiming your opinion as gospel!
I've owned both white, still have black 11, and the 12 looks more refined in person. Gives off a PM watch vibe. Basically a zenith Daytona with ceramic bezel in a 20 year old PM (509, 519) Daytona case.
Old 20 February 2024, 02:14 AM   #41
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Imagine if you paid $50k for a white 11 series Daytona. Some people arguing not to play the AD game did.

They’ve now lost $30+k in value on the 11 series. Compounding that, it would be pretty hard to then take the position that the 12 is better.

I paid retail. Knew it was in bubble territory at $50k and didn’t sell. I only buy long-term and don’t flip in and out of stuff to try and make a quick buck. Never understood collectors who would.

There is a hype mentality whenever something new is released. It happens again and again - and some really feel a need to have the latest. That’s fine. I’ve even said the new ones look good - just not an improvement. It is possible to say something is worse relative to something else but is still good or great. That’s how I feel about the 126. They don’t look as elegant or timeless - they look chunkier and the steel surround looks like a step back.

Yes, have seen the 126 in person. Reinforced my opinion.

Also, my opinion can change - I thought the Le Mans was incredible at first - but over time my excitement faded. I don’t like the BLRO vs older versions - prefer the vibrancy of the blue/red in vintage. Don’t like the Nautilus, etc etc… lots of opinions, some of which are either unpopular or against the trend today. But not biased by what I own except that if I didn’t prefer the 116 I would of course have a 126 today instead…

Edit: who the heck lost $30k+ on the 116 series? I am just curious… one person who bought at $60k and selling for $30k today? I didn’t think they even traded at $60k, nevermind there being more than a handful who would have transacted at absolute peak pricing…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 02:19 AM   #42
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I paid retail. Knew it was in bubble territory at $50k and didn’t sell. I only buy long-term and don’t flip in and out of stuff to try and make a quick buck. Never understood collectors who would.

There is a hype mentality whenever something new is released. It happens again and again - and some really feel a need to have the latest. That’s fine. I’ve even said the new ones look good - just not an improvement. It is possible to say something is worse relative to something else but is still good or great. That’s how I feel about the 126. They don’t look as elegant or timeless - they look chunkier and the steel surround looks like a step back.

Yes, have seen the 126 in person. Reinforced my opinion.

Also, my opinion can change - I thought the Le Mans was incredible at first - but over time my excitement faded. I don’t like the BLRO vs older versions - prefer the vibrancy of the blue/red in vintage. Don’t like the Nautilus, etc etc… lots of opinions, some of which are either unpopular or against the trend today. But not biased by what I own except that if I didn’t prefer the 116 I would of course have a 126 today instead…

I saw your other posts, so I knew all that because you run to every comparison thread and talk about how much better the 11 is. If you knew it was in bubble territory and can always get whatever you want from your AD, you should have sold. But we are all geniuses in 2024 now.

All that said, it would be interesting to have a poll of people who have neither the 11 or the 12 - no way to enforce it, but it would be cool to see something unbiased.

Old 20 February 2024, 02:39 AM   #43
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I approve.

Or keep your panda and trade to just the 12 black. Up to you of course. I love my white 126500.

I've owned both white, still have black 11, and the 12 looks more refined in person. Gives off a PM watch vibe. Basically a zenith Daytona with ceramic bezel in a 20 year old PM (509, 519) Daytona case.
Agree 100%. Used on own an 116520, had a chance to try the 116500 white and a WG side by side and decided I liked the white gold case profile as much or more than the steel. To me, the best part of the new model is the slimmer subdial rings, hands, etc. Really, really well done.
Old 20 February 2024, 02:40 AM   #44
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I saw your other posts, so I knew all that because you run to every comparison thread and talk about how much better the 11 is. If you knew it was in bubble territory and can always get whatever you want from your AD, you should have sold. But we are all geniuses in 2024 now.

All that said, it would be interesting to have a poll of people who have neither the 11 or the 12 - no way to enforce it, but it would be cool to see something unbiased.

Is there also a consistent group saying they prefer the 126? Seems that way to me…

One is okay but the other is biased?

How about the large number of people with neither? Or people who consistently espouse not liking Daytonas (on Daytona question threads)? Where does the comment policing end?
Old 20 February 2024, 02:44 AM   #45
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

At this level if you own a 11 series Daytona, you could easily flip for a 12 series if that is what you want with minimal trade difference. I don’t believe money is even a factor if you already are a Daytona owner. The 12 series didn’t hit the market nearly as high as everyone thought so the price vector between the two are close enough to let the model chose the owner and not the price. That’s assuming $$$ is even a factor which isn’t for most long term players at this point of the hobby.

Clearly there are preferences for both models and that isn’t going to change for the owners. Those on the side lines that are not owners have no skin in the game (yet) so only until a purchase has been made for either of these models does it go from hypothetical to real and confirmed in what model speaks to them the most.
Old 20 February 2024, 02:53 AM   #46
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At this level if you own a 11 series Daytona, you could easily flip for a 12 series if that is what you want with minimal trade difference. I don’t believe money is even a factor if you already are a Daytona owner. The 12 series didn’t hit the market nearly as high as everyone thought so the price vector between the two are close enough to let the model chose the owner and not the price.
Clearly there are preferences for both models and that isn’t going to change for the owners. Those on the side lines that are not owners have no skin in the game (yet) so only until a purchase has been made for either of these models does it go from hypothetical to real and confirmed in what model speaks to them the most.
Not really minimal trade difference…if you paid $50k at peak, you will lose $25k trading, plus the $10k diff on asking, so $35k to move into new model. Now, if you paid $25k, then you will get your $ back and have to pay $10k to get the 12. Either way, not a minimal diff.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:01 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not really minimal trade difference…if you paid $50k at peak, you will lose $25k trading, plus the $10k diff on asking, so $35k to move into new model. Now, if you paid $25k, then you will get your $ back and have to pay $10k to get the 12. Either way, not a minimal diff.
Meh, I doubt there’s that many people that paid $50k and even if they did, that factor alone is a certification they could afford any future move they felt they wanted to do. No one is counting pennies for a watch at this level.
I don’t think money is even germane to the topic which Daytona they would actually purchase.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:07 AM   #48
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Meh, I doubt there’s that many people that paid $50k and even if they did, that factor alone is a certification they could afford any future move they felt they wanted to do. No one is counting pennies for a watch at this level.
I don’t think money is even germane to the topic which Daytona they would actually purchase.
Tens of thousands of dollars are not pennies, and there are many value threads on this forum, so clearly people care and it influences their decision making, as well as their comments in threads like this one.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:07 AM   #49
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
I have the white 11...

I paid retail, the 11 is nicer.for these reasons

I.like the heavier ceramic.bezel

I.like the thick black ring sundials

The white doesn't seem as white with more going on in the dial

Doesn't look as a gmt with the silver ring aound the bezel

Unique bezel
shirtguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 03:15 AM   #50
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tens of thousands of dollars are not pennies, and there are many value threads on this forum, so clearly people care and it influences their decision making, as well as their comments in threads like this one.
But it may be in the terms of their lifestyle and spending. If they dropped $50k on a ss Daytona, they can afford the depreciation. No one that flys first class is concerned with the cost of food and beverage nor will it stop them for getting an overpriced drink on the plane if they want it.

Money is NOT a primary factor to many actual owners as you think and that is the democratic we are talking about.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:16 AM   #51
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
There are 10 pages on the forum why many feel the 11 series Daytona is superior. IMO, Unless you need the $5k now for a emergency, you need to cool off and not do anything stupid with a trade until you really weigh out what you are doing and giving up.
I agree.

One thing is for sure, I'd never trade a discontinued steel white Daytona.

If you want to add a black daytona, offer the Pepsi or Snoopy + cash from you or trade both Pepsi and Snoopy for the black daytona with cash coming your way.

I wouldn't trade the snoopy either, but it is rapidly approaching retail + tax on the famous facebook group we all use to benchmark prices, so adding it later if you miss it seems OK.

Quote:
Correct. I could swap to a 12 but no desire.
Generally speaking, I strongly prefer to wear discontinued references, rather than a unit that more is produced of each day. Just a personal preference.
Also - I daily my 11 series and have since I bought it. It has been through some STUFF. Most notably, it was on wrist when my daughter entered this world.
I remember clicking start on the chronograph when I entered the OR to see how long it would take for her to arrive. Several days later, I realized I never stopped it :)
Hard to imagine a dollar figure or watch trade that would make me part with it.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:18 AM   #52
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
Don’t do it.

I’d trade the black dial and snoopy + cash for the new Daytona and keep the Pepsi
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 03:21 AM   #53
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not as many actual owners as you think and that is the democratic we are talking about.
That is key.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:33 AM   #54
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I like what you have, better than what you want. Unless you need the 5 grand, pass.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 03:39 AM   #55
Djoker48
"TRF" Member

Wow, a lot of replies. Thanks!

Decided to trade the white 116500ln for a black 126500ln (straight up trade with no difference) and keep the Pepsi and snoopy. Seems like the best of both worlds.

I know I am trading the infamous panda Daytona but the black 126500ln looks oh so refined and clean on the wrist…
Djoker48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 03:41 AM   #56
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Maybe just add and give yourself an opportunity to compare, judge and feel over time. This way, you are sure of what you want for you
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 03:41 AM   #57
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I like what you have, better than what you want. Unless you need the 5 grand, pass.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^^Great minds think alike.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:58 AM   #58
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there also a consistent group saying they prefer the 126? Seems that way to me…

One is okay but the other is biased?

How about the large number of people with neither? Or people who consistently espouse not liking Daytonas (on Daytona question threads)? Where does the comment policing end?

I’m just observing a trend whereby many people on the forum tend to over-exaggerate differences between versions of models to defend their choice. Whether it’s the 11 or the 12 Daytona or some other model. As I said, you can go back and see this with the Batman/Batgirl debate a few years ago when people were debating lug hole placement and saying one was actually slightly differently sized (untrue) and talking about jubilee vs oyster.

The biggest difference in price between the 12 and 11 series Daytona probably relates mostly to the year (newer always commands a higher price). I guarantee you that most people cannot tell the difference between the two models, beyond the steel bezel ring, which is hard to see at any distance when looking at someone else’s wrist. So when I see extreme posts talking about one or the other, I question whether there is any bias there. That’s all I’m saying. We don’t have to police posts, but if someone is asking for honest advice, they should take extreme posts with a lot of grains of salt.

Old 20 February 2024, 04:02 AM   #59
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But it may be in the terms of their lifestyle and spending. If they dropped $50k on a ss Daytona, they can afford the depreciation. No one that flys first class is concerned with the cost of food and beverage nor will it stop them for getting an overpriced drink on the plane if they want it.

Money is NOT a primary factor to many actual owners as you think and that is the democratic we are talking about.

That’s a big assumption re what people who buy luxury goods at ridiculous premiums can really afford. Knowing some people who are in the camp you describe, I can confidently say people who drop too much money on a watch often struggle to afford it. There was a whole world of people who were convinced by YouTube and the WSJ that these watches are investments that appreciate. And some of those people have been badly burnt.

Old 20 February 2024, 04:16 AM   #60
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

pass
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote