The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2024, 03:41 AM   #31
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Save yourself money in the long run and buy from a trusted reseller
Believe me, I imagine this is where I'll end up, but I just want to understand this AD business!
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 05:15 AM   #32
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Each AD is different. Each country/culture is different. And you're asking about buying potentially over a million dollars worth of jewelry. Most folks on here are buying a $10,000 watch every 5-10 years.
Old 20 May 2024, 07:26 AM   #33
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
Believe me, I imagine this is where I'll end up, but I just want to understand this AD business!
Good luck to you if you can crack the code. If you have been in Singapore for awhile .. it comes down to who you know or what kind of connections you have.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 08:44 AM   #34
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly it’s probably too late in the game…

The only chance you have is to show up at the store and buy buy buy buy buy…

There is a big difference though…..you’re asking how to “build” a relationship with an AD…

The people you are competing with have no such concerns….they spend all the money because they want to and don’t have to fret about AD relationships….the AD frets about keeping them! That’s right….so you have no chance unless you get to buying..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 11:04 AM   #35
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt10p View Post
Madness! Just go Grey, you're not going to wear the 'other' watch once you have the Rolex you want.

That’s a big generalization. I wear all my watches, not just the Rolexes. I know many others here do, as well.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:27 PM   #36
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
It is a generalisation, not a big one but is relevent on how expensive your collection is. Not many people can spend 5k on a 'pre watch' to the one you want to cultivate a relationship. But I agree there are plenty on this forum in that position and good luck to them.
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:34 PM   #37
Drew.rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I’ve had two very different experiences over the years buying Rolex from two different AD’s. The first was a smaller (albeit mid size globally) AD. The other was tourneau. Tourneau was much better overall. Your purchase history is tracked in every store. Meaning if you move it’s okay.

Relationships with salespersons are hard. But if you are spending, do it somewhere where it counts. I have been treated very well at Tourneau.

126040 & 136660
Drew.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 05:59 PM   #38
serserser
"TRF" Member

i'm from Singapore as well left my interest for a datejust 41 (non green/blue) at hourglass malmaison, 6 months still no update.

ill recommend going to more AD and leaving interest until one stick
serserser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 06:33 PM   #39
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its about time all this AD so called relationship stuff stopped,as all ADs are just shops that sells watches nothing more.
How do you propose AD's stop this exactly?

With a significant supply/demand issue worldwide (regardless of what people say or think about there not really being one... there is), there will always be lists or allocation processes for particularly popular pieces. This has been the case for around a decade now.

Despite rough economies worldwide, the number of people who want these watches and, importantly, can afford them is increasing exponentially. There has to be some fairness in the system, and if, for example, you had spent considerably more at an AD on stuff you wanted than I had, then how would you feel if I got something you wanted before you?

I'm not saying the system is perfect, it's obviously far from it. However, it's fairly clear that popping in occasionally, chatting with your SA over Whatsapp now and again and enjoying a few pieces you are able to get your hands on is going to give you an advantage over someone who simply enters an AD randomly and demands whatever they want because "I have the money, I'll buy it right now".

While I would never buy anything I don't want, I don't mind spending some time chatting about watches occasionally and perhaps buying something for my wife's birthday or Christmas gift now and again. If that constitutes a relationship, then so be it. It's worked out ok for me so far.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote