The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 August 2011, 09:28 AM   #61
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Zenith D not so desirable,you can obtain one amytime you want,pricewise never went up so much as some speculated.reason since the 4130 is a better watch.
George

We all have our own opinions. I, and many others, would opt for a Zenith Daytona. The El Primero is an iconic movement. It is essentially unchanged since 1969. Very few watch movements, let alone chronographs, have the same history.

Just my opinion. Nothing antagonistic meant.

Old 2 August 2011, 10:47 AM   #62
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
George

We all have our own opinions. I, and many others, would opt for a Zenith Daytona. The El Primero is an iconic movement. It is essentially unchanged since 1969. Very few watch movements, let alone chronographs, have the same history.

Just my opinion. Nothing antagonistic meant.

x2!!!
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 03:33 AM   #63
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Nothing wrong we got different opinions,but the 4130 is a great stuff better than the EP in every aspect except it was created much earlier than the in house one.not more not less

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2011, 08:02 PM   #64
Ski Dweller
Banned

Watch: Swatch KikiPicasso
Quote:
Nothing wrong we got different opinions,but the 4130 is a great stuff better than the EP in every aspect except it was created much earlier than the in house one.not more not less
Nah, the 4130 is the "simpler" movement where they marketed the cheapening of the movement as a move to create a more "robust" system. Really? Is your Zenith COSC movement falling apart? Mine isn't. It's more accurate than my recently serviced "in house" Sea Dweller. I'm for the Zenith, because it's better. Rolex couldn't modify enough of them to keep up with the demand of the Daytona. That out to tell ya that they made MORE of the post Zenith Daytonas, and in an attempt to mask this massive production, they tried to create a waiting list sales and "safe to customer" type no-see-um sales.

Dealers keep the SS Daytona in a safe because they perceive its value to be headed north. Dealers aren't carrying much GOLD in their stores right now at 18-24K because they don't want to be stuck with inventory in a falling gold market. You tend to order from a catalogue so they don't have to pony up for the gold. NOW, they are buying gold from anyone and sending it off to melt, but not selling it. It is strange to see gold headed from our necks and fingers off to a vault where an ETF stores it. Messed up.
Ski Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 05:17 AM   #65
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Dweller View Post
Nah, the 4130 is the "simpler" movement where they marketed the cheapening of the movement as a move to create a more "robust" system. Really? Is your Zenith COSC movement falling apart? Mine isn't. It's more accurate than my recently serviced "in house" Sea Dweller. I'm for the Zenith, because it's better. Rolex couldn't modify enough of them to keep up with the demand of the Daytona. That out to tell ya that they made MORE of the post Zenith Daytonas, and in an attempt to mask this massive production, they tried to create a waiting list sales and "safe to customer" type no-see-um sales.

Dealers keep the SS Daytona in a safe because they perceive its value to be headed north. Dealers aren't carrying much GOLD in their stores right now at 18-24K because they don't want to be stuck with inventory in a falling gold market. You tend to order from a catalogue so they don't have to pony up for the gold. NOW, they are buying gold from anyone and sending it off to melt, but not selling it. It is strange to see gold headed from our necks and fingers off to a vault where an ETF stores it. Messed up.
Sorry pal,but it s general consensus among watchmakers/connoisseurs that 4130 is a better one,however the EP was a great one too.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 05:21 AM   #66
Ski Dweller
Banned

Watch: Swatch KikiPicasso
Quote:
Sorry pal,but it s general consensus among watchmakers/connoisseurs that 4130 is a better one,however the EP was a great one too.
Nah. In any event there are tons of 4130's out there, and they're getting cheaper.
Ski Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 05:48 AM   #67
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

I think we are all agreed on this forum that the vast majority of Daytona owners out there would not have a clue about any of the points being raised here, i have spken to many, and as soon as you start mentioning model numbers, Dial variations, EP. movement, In house movement etc. it's as if your speaking a different language; the point i am making is that we are only really preaching to the converted.( Which i really enjoy )
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 06:50 AM   #68
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Might even be some people trading up for the new SS Daytona when it comes out, which may lead to a drop in 116520 value temporarily.

Sub-C has not done much to help the 16610 thus far, and the 16613 has been gone a while now with prices still softening in spite of some strong support in the forums. Have this feeling the 116523 could end up being the cheapest of all Daytonas with time.
Actually 16613 prices have been on the upswing; when I got mine a few years ago, the pre-owned models were selling at or near the $5.5K mark, whereas these days I've seen them topping $7K. Ditto the SS subs, which were around the $4700 mark back then but again I've seen them go in the mid 5's now. So I don't think the SS will be taking a dive anytime soon when even the diver's watches haven't!!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 07:10 AM   #69
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
When Rolex switches over to the ceramic bezels, I bet the value of all the metal-bezel ones skyrockets...
I don´t think so.
This model has been made since 2000, and the steel ceramic will probably be available from 2013. Thats 14 years of manufacture, and that will not make it very rare. Its not even rare now.
Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:04 AM   #70
HardTxRider
"TRF" Member

Hello gang,

I'm new to the forum and am glad I looked around before making what might be a big mistake.

I bought new in 2000 a Rolex Daytona Stainless # Gold 116523 with a white face. I wore it for years with a great deal of pleasure. Once I retired from business life my activities changed and wearing such a beautiful watch became worrisome. I sent it in for factory refurbish/maintenance and with it came back if was like new. I wore it a few times to social occasions but it has manly stayed in the box.

Recently I've been lusting for a new or pre-owned late model GMT Master II in stainless and gold. I was going to put the Daytona up on the market to cash it out and buy the GMT Master II. I have not found the right deal and am waffling big time about selling the Daytona.

The most favorable market I found was Bob's Watches that you are probably already familiar. I have the original wooden box, serial number/model number tag, certified tag, polishing cloth, user's guide and other documentation that came with the piece.

What do you all think?

Tim
HardTxRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:16 AM   #71
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
When Rolex switches over to the ceramic bezels, I bet the value of all the metal-bezel ones skyrockets...

I think that is true for all of them...I was at and AD today and still not a fan of the ceramic...unless there is French Onion Soup in it. You know the one with the bread and all the cheese?!

Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:30 AM   #72
ufboy73
Banned

mmmmm, hungry
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:49 AM   #73
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Quote:
Just like the value of the metal bezel GMT's skyrocketed? Or the LV's? Well, not so much. They've simply continued to go up with the overall rise of Rolex prices, but nothing ridiculous.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:58 AM   #74
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Just like the value of the metal bezel GMT's skyrocketed? Or the LV's? Well, not so much. They've simply continued to go up with the overall rise of Rolex prices, but nothing ridiculous.
I don't know about the LV's...if I hadn't ran into one at an AD for original list (around $5100) last month I wouldn't have bought one. They are like 6 to 8k on eBay etc for used ones!

Old 6 September 2011, 10:01 AM   #75
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
I don't know about the LV's...if I hadn't ran into one at an AD for original list (around $5100) last month I wouldn't have bought one. They are like 6 to 8k on eBay etc for used ones!
Congratz to you on the find, and you're lucky your AD didn't just keep replacing price tags as the price went up, as most do. Since your plain SS Expy's and Sub's are all selling in the slightly over $7k range now (excluding any Memorial Day price hikes that may have been seen), then yeah that's about the range they're running in. But being metal vs. ceramic didn't send the price soaring.
Old 6 September 2011, 10:03 AM   #76
Mickey®
Banned

@ Timber Loftis

Ok I agree. I guess only time will tell...
Old 6 September 2011, 10:07 AM   #77
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Congratz to you on the find, and you're lucky your AD didn't just keep replacing price tags as the price went up, as most do. Since your plain SS Expy's and Sub's are all selling in the slightly over $7k range now (excluding any Memorial Day price hikes that may have been seen), then yeah that's about the range they're running in. But being metal vs. ceramic didn't send the price soaring.
You were lucky. I believe the last price was $6400!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 10:08 AM   #78
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@ Timber Loftis

Ok I agree. I guess only time will tell...
Oh, I think in time -- great time -- the metal LV's will be seen as a catch. They had a fairly limited run, and were an anniversary watch design. Let's hope they find a way to cock-up the green hand/ceramic GMT's (highly unlikely), then I'll be happy too.
Old 6 September 2011, 10:18 AM   #79
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
You were lucky. I believe the last price was $6400!
Really? I guess I did get lucky. I wondered if they were mistaken...
I bought it so fast I think they thought I was up to something!!!!
Old 6 September 2011, 10:28 AM   #80
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
Total opposite for me. I have sold my all yg daytona last week and waiting for the new ceramic yg daytona on bracelet.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 12:22 PM   #81
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
X2... they will NOT skyrocket... IMHO, they will hold, dip, increase, hold, dip, increase.....
Old 9 September 2011, 02:55 PM   #82
Geronomo12
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Amalfi Platinu
As an owner of a SS Daytona with the Rokex movement and white dial, I would love to see Rolex switch to a ceramic bezel. It would make my watch more valuable and who doesn't like having something that he loves grow more valuable? If Rolex really wants to help my watch grow in value, they should stop making the white dial as well. Just dreaming.
Geronomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 03:26 PM   #83
Rani Drama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Sub
I was thinking of picking up a Daytona as well. My AD always holds a couple older models and asks rolex to send any new old stock to him all the time. All of his current models are discounted generously except for the daytona and once a model gets discontinued it's full list for those models. He sold the last sea dweller he had at full the other day.
Old 9 September 2011, 04:55 PM   #84
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
yes sir - im holding onto it now..... whats next?

Could it be a new Hype ;-)

/masterkiller
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 07:16 AM   #85
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
IMHO the 4030 is far better than the in-house 4130. Rolex made it cheaper not better!
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 07:35 AM   #86
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
I think that is true for all of them...I was at and AD today and still not a fan of the ceramic...unless there is French Onion Soup in it. You know the one with the bread and all the cheese?!

Looooooooove French onion soup. Don't care for pottery though
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 07:40 AM   #87
scarab007
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
I am keeping mine, but I like the watch and have not really thought of it as an investment. If it goes up in value, even better!
scarab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 07:40 AM   #88
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Rolexes, including Daytonas will continue to grow in value - FACT
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 07:44 AM   #89
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is not necessarily a correct statement...

Regardless, I sold mine. I'm just not a chrono guy in real life, somehow I prefer them more on photos!?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 07:59 AM   #90
Mutlu
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweller of the Sea View Post
I don´t think so.
This model has been made since 2000, and the steel ceramic will probably be available from 2013. Thats 14 years of manufacture, and that will not make it very rare. Its not even rare now.
x2
Mutlu is offline   Reply With Quote