The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2011, 02:22 PM   #61
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Subc
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 02:46 PM   #62
vrolok
"TRF" Member

kidding right? sd all the way!
vrolok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 03:13 PM   #63
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
sd for me too, one of the best rolex IMO, only took me 3 years to work that out;)

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 06:57 PM   #64
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoose1 View Post
From a modern day metro sexual perspective I agree. However, if both the classic sub/dweller and ceramic sub been available 50 years ago, for the heavy lifting pioneering tasks Rolex Subs/SD were engineered to conquer, chances are better than 99.999999% that the Sub/C would never have seen the light of day, for the two most cited reasons as "improvements". Life saving, mission critical rugged dependability is worth infinitely more than a shiny fragile bezel insert and additional moving parts in a clasp.
Old 6 September 2011, 07:11 PM   #65
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
You might want to take a look at this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3lEiFUmVM

The new Parachrom alloy is astonishing IMHO and you only get that on the SubC...
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 07:19 PM   #66
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
seems like the sd is winning.
i wanted an sd badly then i tried on the gmtc and felt that it was so much superior due to the bracelet and clasp. then i tried on a subc and bought it without hesitation and i am happy with it. i've been wearing it constantly and haven't noticed that the bezel was fragile, the bracelet is superb and to me it is still the classic sub no matter what others say.
the classic sd (yes it is a classic as it has a heir in the dssd) will never be a collectors piece as it is widely available still even brand new so chose whichever you like more.

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 07:31 PM   #67
speedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
sorry to say but this is bs.
50 years ago there was no ceramic and rolex did not make a better clasp because it did not have the technology. technology is advancing and to be honest using it wisely how rolex does it suits me very well.
guess that most of the guys here going for the sd drive brand new cars and change them every two or three years for more bhp and advanced leather interior and still refuse minor modifications on a watch in every 25 years.

Old 6 September 2011, 09:06 PM   #68
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Sea Dweller
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:19 PM   #69
Nahligah

Watch: not enough...
SD for sure
Nahligah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:27 PM   #70
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyedog View Post
Tool watch 101 = SD
Honestly you can't go wrong on either one!

you got it right....if could have only one, SD, but, if could have both, SD + Hulk.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 10:31 PM   #71
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
The classic choice between the old and reliable or the new and improved.
I think the decision is more about your "personality" than it is about the watch.
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 10:50 PM   #72
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

SD.

But I prefer both.
Old 6 September 2011, 11:09 PM   #73
Antoine B

Watch: DJ 16234
None of them.
Sub "no date" (14060M) before it's too late.
Antoine B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:22 AM   #74
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
The brain says SubC: (slightly) improved movement, much improved bracelet (micro-adjustment) and lume (both hands and hour plots).

The heart says Sea-Dweller: rugged good looks and a true less-is-more classic. Lug holes!

I had both. I still have the SD...

Having said that, if you don't spend your time online and let yourself be influenced by the cult-status of the SD and your plan is only to have and use one single watch, then I think it is hard to beat a new Submariner with full warranty.
what he said.

I love the old SD but the improvements on the SubC are big improvements in my opinion. But, you will not see as many SeaDwellers around.
having said that, the more I think about that high crystal sticking up and the poor quality clasp......sure does look beautiful though.
Bugger it, I can't decide either.
Old 7 September 2011, 12:24 AM   #75
Clay
Banned

Need you ask???

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:32 AM   #76
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
I have both and can tell you that the SubC is superior in both form and function...

the glidelock clasp, larger minute hand and markers, improved in house lume and improved movement take the watch to an all new level...

Having said that however the SD is a classic with a ridiculous depth rating and a useless HRV so I can really understand why some people like it so much...they want to feel all masculine and stuff ....

You will be fine with both...just listen to your heart ...
Hardly a improved movement by just adding the in-house escapement parts its still a cal 3135 that been in production since 1988/9.Myself not a fan of the cyclops so I would choose by favourite sports Rolex the SD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:36 AM   #77
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
sorry to say but this is bs.
50 years ago there was no ceramic and rolex did not make a better clasp because it did not have the technology. technology is advancing and to be honest using it wisely how rolex does it suits me very well.
guess that most of the guys here going for the sd drive brand new cars and change them every two or three years for more bhp and advanced leather interior and still refuse minor modifications on a watch in every 25 years.
Well regarding ceramic well brands like Rado have been making ceramic watches since the 1960s so its not something new.Today the latest fashion is ceramic thats why many brands now are jumping on the ceramic bandwaggon.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 September 2011, 12:43 AM   #78
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
SD owners really ought to be happy about the fact that the dials/faces generally show less glare than the other Rolex divers. This was my pet peeve of Rolex divers...so I really paid attention to that aspect. As mentioned, I think the slightly smaller diameter and thickness of the flat crystal on the SD
" cut in" to the glare. I think it's a great benefit...
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:45 AM   #79
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

Right now I'd go with the SubC.
Old 7 September 2011, 12:47 AM   #80
speedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well regarding ceramic well brands like Rado have been making ceramic watches since the 1960s so its not something new.Today the latest fashion is ceramic thats why many brands now are jumping on the ceramic bandwaggon.
this is what i mentioned. rolex did not experiment with a brand new material which only used ceramic after it has been proved in many ways in many industries. this is the development i like.
if it is not bling on a ferrari or porsche brake or used in a nasa shuttle it shouldn't be considered bling on a rolex either.

Old 7 September 2011, 01:57 AM   #81
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 02:10 AM   #82
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Yes, Swatch pioneered ceramic watches with Rado.

Omega took advantage of those decades of ceramic experience, added Liquidmetal technology, and came up with a "better mousetrap":

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:11 AM   #83
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
Yes, Swatch pioneered ceramic watches with Rado.

Omega took advantage of those decades of ceramic experience, added Liquidmetal technology, and came up with a "better mousetrap":

Fr. John†
Afraid Swatch was not around when Rado first made the first ceramic watch back in the mid 1960s Swatch was not started till around 1985.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 September 2011, 03:28 AM   #84
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
My vote goes to the SD!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:32 AM   #85
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Afraid Swatch was not around when Rado first made the first ceramic watch back in the mid 1960s Swatch was not started till around 1985.
That still doesn't erase decades of experience that Omega could draw on when developing its ceramic bezel.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:35 AM   #86
Payesrob

Watch: Submariner 116610
Sub-C all the way....
Payesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:02 AM   #87
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
to the OP... how are your eyes? would you need a cyclops to see date?
SD date can be hard to read.... but all things being equal =
SD all the way

Quote:
sorry to say but this is bs.... rolex did not make a better clasp because it did not have the technology. ...guess that most of the guys here going for the sd drive brand new cars and change them every two or three years for more bhp and advanced leather interior and still refuse minor modifications on a watch in every 25 years.
the technology used in the new clasp seems to consist of a delicate spring (hardly new technology... imho: a step backwards, for a part that is likely to be subjected to grit and sand) and a welded bit that has failed on at least several occasions recorded on these pages

imho: I would wager the guy wearing the SD be more inclined to drive a car with the same soul as the SD rather than the latest and greatest
Old 7 September 2011, 04:44 AM   #88
speedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
the technology used in the new clasp seems to consist of a delicate spring (hardly new technology... imho: a step backwards, for a part that is likely to be subjected to grit and sand) and a welded bit that has failed on at least several occasions recorded on these pages

imho: I would wager the guy wearing the SD be more inclined to drive a car with the same soul as the SD rather than the latest and greatest
my dj has the old style clasp. it works perfectly but i would not hesitate a minute in picking the new one. the problems you mention happened to the early gmts not with the subs.
for me the soul of the watch is the movement and as both models have the same old sturdy 3135 i don't really see why one of them has got the soul the other does not.....had i bought the sd i'd be just as happy with it as i am with my soulless blingy, non-tool subc.

Old 7 September 2011, 05:15 AM   #89
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
to the OP... how are your eyes? would you need a cyclops to see date?
SD date can be hard to read.... but all things being equal =
SD all the way

Quote:
... my soulless blingy, non-tool subc.

your words, not mine. (it pertained to your car reference... as an example of an SD owner, my choices for cars/motorcycles are the more classic, not the newest). i picture a SD wearer in a fj cruiser

my focus was on the technology you called new? a fine spring and welded bits are not new technology.
Old 7 September 2011, 05:48 AM   #90
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
<<<<<-------------------- this one
Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote