The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 August 2017, 05:32 AM   #61
Xerxes77
Banned

Good advice!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 05:59 AM   #62
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Last week I visited Rolex Beverly Hills with my Submariner to replace the worn band. Photos attached.
I don't see a Sub with a worn band...anyone?
Old 31 August 2017, 06:05 AM   #63
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Excellent point! You new you had an original that was part of your family history. I would have done the same. Michael Young does fantastic work

In my case, having gone thru two bad experiences with used Rolex watches with aftermarket issues, it was worth it to me to pay the premium ($700) to hear Rolex say the watch was all original.

I ran an engineering company and to us everything had to be to specification. We ran our company like Rolex. If someone even took apart our product the warranty was void. Our products were all stainless and very expensive.

Now the watch is my sisters. My mom got a new one and gave my sister the older DJ the day my niece was born. I love how these watches of taken care of will probably outlast all of us. Also in all that time it was serviced only once and she never took it off. If she was working in the garden or going to church it was on her wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:08 AM   #64
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Stories like this makes me more and more want to only purchase from AD's. I 100% trust trusted sellers. But I'm not convinced that they go over every individual part to determine full authenticity.That means there's still a chance... AD's will treat you right if you remain a loyal customer. And for whatever is going on in the markets right now you can get many popular models CHEAPER from AD's than you can trusted sellers right now.
Old 31 August 2017, 06:16 AM   #65
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Shame for the OP getting burned like that.
You took it very well. I would have been pointing out all of the other issues whilst poking the RSC quote under their nose.
How many customers have they lost just by this thread ???
You should have given them the full facts and let them have the chance to put it right.

Not a criticism of you. Please don't take it that way. They should have been told

Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 07:42 AM   #66
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
I don't see a Sub with a worn band...anyone?
Here was the one I wanted changed out. Not horrible, but loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Submariner Bracelet (2).JPG (65.9 KB, 340 views)
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 08:01 AM   #67
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Shame for the OP getting burned like that.
You took it very well. I would have been pointing out all of the other issues whilst poking the RSC quote under their nose.
How many customers have they lost just by this thread ???
You should have given them the full facts and let them have the chance to put it right.

Not a criticism of you. Please don't take it that way. They should have been told

Can't argue with you. In fact I just re-read the warranty and it stated that all parts are genuine. So, I could and should have challenged them. I goofed that one up. I did have a legal position.

In the case of the second dealer I took a tougher position without telling him about the aftermarket parts. I didn't want to call him a cheat. He gave me a 100% refund towards a new DJ at his cost to keep me happy. He knew what he did without admitting it and took care of me.

A good lesson. Thanks.
Old 31 August 2017, 04:18 PM   #68
Lawisme
Banned

Was the store in Beverly Hills on Beverly Drive??!
Lawisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:32 PM   #69
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Element of risk

Quote:
Last week I visited Rolex Beverly Hills with my Submariner to replace the worn band. Photos attached.

They estimated the cost at $1000 over the phone.

The facility is beautiful and they gave me a Rolex book for free. It is a really nice hardback. It includes Rolex history, photos of their manufacturing plants in Switzerland and all their models. Excellent book!!

The surprise was that the Submariner I thought was pure and purchased from a good jeweler in Beverly Hills had a number of problems. The jeweler had replaced the crystal and bezel with aftermarket product. Also Rolex found a blemish on the face of the Rolex along with several other wear issues.

When it was all said and done, the bill was $3,000 to service the Rolex and get it back to their standards. What was upsetting is that I was wearing a flawed Rolex and I wasn't going to pay $3,000. Rolex in their quote said the Rolex would be worth $8,000 once fully upgraded.

Anyway I sold the Rolex and now just have the DJ.

This is the third Rolex I purchased with aftermarket components. I sold all three.

Buyer beware of a used Rolex. I have learned the business and my lessons
This sucks. Sorry to hear about this.

Last edited by Pavlos; 31 August 2017 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: mistake
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:41 PM   #70
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Element of risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycturbovr6 View Post
Sorry to hear your bad experience with used Rolex. Next time try to buy used from one of the authorized sellers on here
For the most part trusted sellers here are excellent. However, there have been trusted or so called trusted sellers being caught out on this forum also. Sometimes trusted sellers can be duped through no fault of their own. That said the risk from a trusted seller is very, very, very small. This is just my opinion unless you are buying a considerably older watch why take the risk just to save $500 on a new watch. Why not go to the AD and buy it properly like the manufacture asked you. After all you are buying the manufacturers product.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:16 PM   #71
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655+216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
So many of these shifty guys in the business.....glad you had a good time visiting RSC in Beverly Hills and got it sorted somewhat.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
218225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 07:54 PM   #72
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Surely you told the buyer about the aftermarket parts?

This is one reason why I only buy new from AD.

Edit: Sorry, read your response too late.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 12:51 AM   #73
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
Surely you told the buyer about the aftermarket parts?

This is one reason why I only buy new from AD.

Edit: Sorry, read your response too late.
I thought about this issue. Rolex pointed out that the crystal and bezel were not original. However, all the jeweler needed to say is that they were. Neither the crystal or bezel have Rolex stamped on them. So then I would have been in the middle of a debate 20 months after the fact. The local dealers feel that Rolex are "predators" (one dealer's words) and don't trust them. It is a battle, so to speak, between the dealers and Rolex since they won't sell them parts. I'm a purist so I lean towards the Rolex view.

The most important thing to do is have the used watch checked out by a certified appraiser within 72 hours of purchasing the watch. That costs $65 in Long Beach. They take the watch apart and give you a complete analysis plus a value on the watch. The appraisal is in writing. That way you can either take the watch back or sleep at night knowing that you have the real deal.

I didn't know the game and lost! This thread has been useful to many readers.

Also, I have done business with the dealer who sold me the watch in the past. They are good guys and, I believe, honest. They probably didn't know their watchmaker (located at another facility) used the aftermarket parts. So I don't blame them.
Old 1 September 2017, 11:17 AM   #74
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Pavlos;7871474]For the most part trusted sellers here are excellent. However, there have been trusted or so called trusted sellers being caught out on this forum also. Sometimes trusted sellers can be duped through no fault of their own. That said the risk from a trusted seller is very, very, very small. This is just my opinion unless you are buying a considerably older watch why take the risk just to save $500 on a new watch. Why not go to the AD and buy it properly like the manufacture asked you. After all you are buying the manufacturers product.[/QUOTE

Ultimately this the right answer
Old 1 September 2017, 11:23 AM   #75
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Took my Submariner to Rolex Beverly Hills - what a surprise!

[QUOTE=seabreeze60;7873331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
For the most part trusted sellers here are excellent. However, there have been trusted or so called trusted sellers being caught out on this forum also. Sometimes trusted sellers can be duped through no fault of their own. That said the risk from a trusted seller is very, very, very small. This is just my opinion unless you are buying a considerably older watch why take the risk just to save $500 on a new watch. Why not go to the AD and buy it properly like the manufacture asked you. After all you are buying the manufacturers product.[/QUOTE

Ultimately this the right answer

First off I don't think all watches through trusted/grey sellers are at a discount in the range of $500. Some are in the thousands, some are even at a premium. Secondly, we should be looking at percentages not $$ amount. Someone in the market for a $30,000 Daydate would probably gladly pay $500 extra for the AD experience. However to a person looking to purchase a $1000 Longines, $500 off is half price. And who wouldn't like to buy something at half price?

Old 1 September 2017, 11:58 AM   #76
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=imperio;7873344][QUOTE=seabreeze60;7873331]

First off I don't think all watches through trusted/grey sellers are at a discount in the range of $500. Some are in the thousands, some are even at a premium. Secondly, we should be looking at percentages not $$ amount. Someone in the market for a $30,000 Daydate would probably gladly pay $500 extra for the AD experience. However to a person looking to purchase a $1000 Longines, $500 off is half price. And who wouldn't like to buy something at half price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTES

Can't argue with you. Boils down to smart purchases. 👍
Old 1 September 2017, 12:55 PM   #77
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was my decision to enhance the appearance of the Submariner. The old bracelet was worn and the Rolex stamping on clasp needed replacing. Repairing the links for $300 was not my goal. I wanted a new Rolex bracelet to enhance the appearance of my Submarine and $1000 was worth it.

The meeting with Rolex was based on replacing the bracelet which they agreed needed to be replaced. Once the watch was taken into the service department they said that updating the Rolex was a package deal...all or none.

I did take the Submariner back to the original jeweler who was in walking distance and pointed out the issue with the bracelet as a starter. They were clear that I purchased the watch as shown 20 months ago. There was no need to debate the Rolex view that the watch needed an overhaul. They offered me $3800. Bob's offered $4025.

It was time to take the loss and move on. Risk management
Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 03:36 AM   #78
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Do you know how to find a 'trusted' repair shop? This has come up a number of times in these posts.

We have several Rolex repair shops in Long Beach that were at one time a Rolex AD. They have a number of designations like ASA, JBT, ISA, AGS and GIA. But I have not found 'trusted'.
I would not trust any jewelry shop, especially a mall or strip-mall shop.

Here in San Diego we have D's Time Service, I trust them:
www.dstimeservice.com
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 08:26 AM   #79
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I would not trust any jewelry shop, especially a mall or strip-mall shop.

Here in San Diego we have D's Time Service, I trust them:
www.dstimeservice.com
This is excellent information. It would be wonderful is there was a list of certified watchmakers like D's that that the forum could turn to for service

I know the forum mentions trusted dealers, but I'm not sure where they are on this site.
Old 2 September 2017, 11:23 AM   #80
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is excellent information. It would be wonderful if there was a list of certified watchmakers like D's that that the forum could turn to for service

I know the forum mentions trusted dealers, but I'm not sure where they are on this site.
Typo corrected
Old 2 September 2017, 11:35 AM   #81
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Wow no good !! I have an aftermarket diamond bezel on my DJ2 wonder how much Rolex will charge to put my fluted back on ?
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 11:59 AM   #82
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello_nyc View Post
Wow no good !! I have an aftermarket diamond bezel on my DJ2 wonder how much Rolex will charge to put my fluted back on ?
Rolex Beverly Hills will quote you over the phone. However they will end up charging you $700 for a 'full service' unless Rolex serviced your watch within the last 2 years. My guess $1200 to $1400.
Old 2 September 2017, 05:45 PM   #83
Limey-
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello_nyc View Post
Its a mass produced Rolex not a Patek. Any reputable watch repair shop can do that easily for a reasonable cost. Three that come to mind are ABC,LAWW and Nesbitts.
Limey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:21 AM   #84
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey- View Post
Its a mass produced Rolex not a Patek. Any reputable watch repair shop can do that easily for a reasonable cost. Three that come to mind are ABC,LAWW and Nesbitts.
I replaced a worn bezel with a new Rolex bezel for $300. The deaer said it was a new Rolex bezel.
Old 3 September 2017, 10:16 AM   #85
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Second Time Around - BV
http://time.com/money/4878147/second...gnment-closes/

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 12:09 PM   #86
Renovar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Willy View Post
What about dealers that have a parts account? Are they safe?
They are probably safe in a way of buying second watches having 100% Rolex parts. But their servicing standards are apparently set by Rolex as well at least a major East-coast one I deal with insist that I change out an aftermarket crystal before they agree to do a full service on a watch which I bought second hand and not aware of the situation, at cost of ~200. They told me it's Rolex policy.
Renovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:05 PM   #87
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
BobsWatches is good here in Huntington Beach. Others on TRF who I have met and had transactions - "sold to" and "purchased from":
1) ocrolexguy (Patrick)
2) justrolexes (Tony)
3) LawrenceB (Lawrence)
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:43 PM   #88
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I feel for you what Deal all i can say is Trusted Sellers I have been extremely happy with DavidSW never an issue and have heard nothing but good things about the rest.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 11:30 PM   #89
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Did you ever contact the Jeweler who sold you the watch?
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:45 AM   #90
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Thanks a lot for sharing your stories. It confirms my impression there's potentially an awful lot of frankenwatches in circulation.

These things scare me to death. I've never bought a preowned Rolex and don't think I ever will. AD, boutique or trusted seller only. No monkey business, either on purpose or unknowingly. To me peace of mind really is priceless.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote