The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2012, 01:18 PM   #61
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post
I keep wanting to respond in a way that won't get me banned...

-Eddie
I couldn't agree more Eddie. There are a couple of posters on here that are talking out there %$$. If I was a car salesman I'm sure I would just tell someone with that view where they could stick it and lose my commission. I'm really dumbfounded that someone on here has so much of a God complex.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 01:20 PM   #62
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post
I keep wanting to respond in a way that won't get me banned...

-Eddie
I did it for you buddy!!! I better not say anything else.....

Anyone want IBTL????

Sometimes things piss you off so much you can't believe you are even mad at some moron behind a keyboard who probably has a 400 beacon score and is in collections!!! And probably lives in his mom's basement!!!

Ugh!!!! I have had a whole week of Morons for Mardi Gras!!!
Old 25 February 2012, 01:22 PM   #63
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
I make more the some of my friends that graduated from very prestigious schools that cost them over 100k, and now work for big name financial companies that make less then I do and hate what they do.... Car salesman have a bad name but I try and be as honest as possible with a customer to the point where it cost me a few dollars but I know those people will refer others and buy another car from me when the time comes.. I see what people make when they fill out there credit application and I never judge anyone buy that.. You should judge a person by his character not what he does or what kind of watch he wears..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 01:26 PM   #64
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
I did it for you buddy!!! I better not say anything else.....

Anyone want IBTL????

Sometimes things piss you off so much you can't believe you are even mad at some moron behind a keyboard who probably has a 400 beacon score and is in collections!!! And probably lives in his mom's basement!!!

Ugh!!!! I have had a whole week of Morons for Mardi Gras!!!
Somebody called it...IBTL!

P.S.: I hope I'm not one of the Mardi Gras fellows...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 01:28 PM   #65
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
Please do not close this thread I would like to hear what others think when they walk in to a dealer to buy a car and the salesperson has a expensive watch on..

Some people spend there money on women, some on drugs, some on boats, some on shoes, I like watches and always have.. When I worked at Saturn I only was able to afford a rado and movado and my 1st year with Infiniti I bought a B&m capeland s and last year my 1st rolex and 2 days ago my second so when I was making 40-50k I wore a watch that cost under 1k and the better I did more I made then I reward myself..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 01:39 PM   #66
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Dude you have no clue what you are talking about.. I paid about 20k in federal taxes last year .. The commission gets taxed..
AMEN!!!! I think we paid twice that, because we have no kids and my house is almost paid off. I want to be able to claim my dogs!!!
Old 25 February 2012, 01:47 PM   #67
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Please do not close this thread I would like to hear what others think when they walk in to a dealer to buy a car and the salesperson has a expensive watch on..

Some people spend there money on women, some on drugs, some on boats, some on shoes, I like watches and always have.. When I worked at Saturn I only was able to afford a rado and movado and my 1st year with Infiniti I bought a B&m capeland s and last year my 1st rolex and 2 days ago my second so when I was making 40-50k I wore a watch that cost under 1k and the better I did more I made then I reward myself..
I own a Viper, because my husband sold it to me. Because we own a Viper, he has sold more Vipers than any other salesman in the dealership.

In fact my husband presold 2 gen 4 Vipers prior to release at full sticker price in 2008, simply because we owned one and he brought my car to work and let both gentlemen go for a ride.

Sometimes having nice things and being connected leads to more sales. My husband has also sold every used Corvette that is traded to their dealership to our friends in our local Corvette club. (Because we also own a Z06).

Our Viper and Z06 were a LOT more than a watch and both a PAID FOR.

Stonedcl I am on your side. I know how well a good, honest salesman can do. My husband just got promoted to low level management because he makes customers happy and they come back.
Old 25 February 2012, 01:57 PM   #68
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Somebody called it...IBTL!

P.S.: I hope I'm not one of the Mardi Gras fellows...
If I didn't have to answer a call from you after only 24 hours of not getting better or have to see you twice in one week because you were so wasted you couldn't remember the first visit, you aren't on the moron list!!!
Old 25 February 2012, 01:59 PM   #69
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I didn't have to answer a call from you after only 24 hours of not getting better or have to see you twice in one week because you were so wasted you couldn't remember the first visit, you aren't on the moron list!!!
Whew, that was close...

- André Fortin
Old 25 February 2012, 02:01 PM   #70
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
I think that the OP's question is a good one. We are all WIS and won't think anything after seeing a car salesperson wearing a Rolex.

But the general public may notice the watch and think that he is making big bucks. I agree with the OP.

When I go into a negotiation, I wear my G-Shock. There exists a connotation that if you a watch is bought with disposable income. When you have $5k+ dangling on your wrist, it may not be received well from people that only wish they had that much in the bank account.

Not stirring the pot here. I am only offering my opinion and experience. When I've had to haggle in my business, the common response I have received is "you wear a Rolex and drive "brand X" and you're telling me you can't afford "blank"." So, I opted to use one of my employee work trucks and wear a G-Shock depending on the situation. Conversely, if I am in a high net worth clients office, the client wants to see that he is dealing with someone that has the bread to meet his needs and won't fall short halfway through because he doesn't have money.

Maybe it is a Miami thing. But, when a multi millionaire (sometimes billionaire) is sitting across from you, they want to know that they are dealing with a person that can deliver the goods and money will not be an excuse for delays. If you don't have money to play here, then go somewhere else. That seems to be the attitude.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 02:09 PM   #71
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Whew, that was close...
Hehehehe, now let's hijack this post!!!

My big boy has heartworms......I am soo sad, but Ridgeback Rescue will take him and he got all his shots and is ready to go to rescue. I am friends with some of the LSU vet professors and I am trying to help get him heartworm Imiticide, even though it is in very short supply.

Here he is!!! WHat a big sweetheart!! I wish he could stay with me!!!

Old 25 February 2012, 02:12 PM   #72
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
... I know how well a good, honest salesman can do. My husband just got promoted to low level management because he makes customers happy and they come back.

Good for him!
And isn't that the point? To do something you like, do it well and reap the rewards. No matter your perceived worth - and that's the problem:
Perceived by who? A stranger? No one should be sizing anyone else up and determining if they're 'worthy' of owning high end things. Do they think that because they're wealthy they 'deserve' it more?
Well if that's the case then maybe the inverse is true. Maybe the person earning less money has to work harder to afford the nice things than the person earning more so maybe he 'deserves' it a bit more, if deserving is even appropriate.
The fact is to get your best deal and allow the guy on the other side to earn his living as best he can and do what he will with his income as its nobody else's business.
This ticks me off too because I work for tightwads who think they can control my family income rather than just paying me a fair wage regardless of any other income we have. They would pay me pennies if they thought my family was earning enough elsewhere.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 02:18 PM   #73
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omga,CyS,brtln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookhawk View Post
I guess I just remember how it felt to start out and to be a salesperson. It's a brutal job for the most part and with big-three auto makers, it's literally Glengarry Glenross in there.

I already know I'm working their margins to nothing and the salesman is stuck working with me for 3 hours to process the deal for a $200 commission.

I try to find the salesman that is young and modest in his attire to give my business because it's literally no-value-add welfare at the point of sale. (the numbers were negotiated with management before I enter the showroom) I'd rather give money to someone that appears to have his/her priorities right and a $60k salesman with a Rolex is not th kind of person I support. Keep in mind, at that salary range these folks are not paying any federal taxes because society classified them lower middle class. I also frown on people that don't pay fed taxes wearing rolexes or driving porches.

It's only my business when I pay their wages and fair share of taxes.
Wow just.............Wow:du mmy:
Old 25 February 2012, 02:18 PM   #74
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hehehehe, now let's hijack this post!!!

My big boy has heartworms......I am soo sad, but Ridgeback Rescue will take him and he got all his shots and is ready to go to rescue. I am friends with some of the LSU vet professors and I am trying to help get him heartworm Imiticide, even though it is in very short supply.

Here he is!!! WHat a big sweetheart!! I wish he could stay with me!!!

What a beauty (again)! Sorry to hear he has heart worms but I'm glad to know he's going to have treatment and is in good hands!

Now, I don't wish to hijack your hijacking post () but this makes me think that I work with animals everyday (everyday I'm working, that is)! I pet them, give advice to their owners regarding food and accessories and clean their faeces and urine all day long! This job may not be just like selling cars but I am as honest as one can be and if people want to judge my honesty or my integrity as a clerk/counselor just because I work with an Omega Seamaster Professional or because they find out I own a Rolex Datejust then I'm afraid it's going to be their loss! As I said, I personally know what it's like to own and collect expensive watches but it's unfortunate that everybody doesn't think the same way.

I can see why some people don't want to wear their watches with pride when they are victims of such prejudice and bad reputation backed with fallacies, I can only condemn such thoughts!

- André Fortin
Old 25 February 2012, 02:24 PM   #75
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
When your bread and butter depends on your public image, it's a good thing to put forth one that both you and your customers are comfortable with.

I don't mind seeing sales staff wearing quality attire and accessories, but I might be a little put off if one dresses like a Bourbon St. pimp.

There's a troubling trend in the US that casts successful people, especially business people, in a bad light. Success is not a crime.

However, a refined image of success is always better in my mind that gaudy ostentation.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 02:38 PM   #76
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
I dont understand what kind if watch the salesman is wearing has to do with what car someone might buy.......and in my humble opinion, anyone who is influenced by this needs some serious help.
Geez, I don't need to type when I have been drinking..................

Now wheres my cheesy poofs..............
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 02:53 PM   #77
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Geez, I don't need to type when I have been drinking..................

Now wheres my cheesy poofs..............
Funny how your drunk post was still more serious than this one...

Hand me the cheesy poofs!

- André Fortin
Old 25 February 2012, 03:29 PM   #78
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
As long as I feel like I got a good deal, I dont care if he drives a Lamborghini and is eating caviar for snacks.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 03:37 PM   #79
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post

Not stirring the pot here. I am only offering my opinion and experience. When I've had to haggle in my business, the common response I have received is "you wear a Rolex and drive "brand X" and you're telling me you can't afford "blank"." So, I opted to use one of my employee work trucks and wear a G-Shock depending on the situation. Conversely, if I am in a high net worth clients office, the client wants to see that he is dealing with someone that has the bread to meet his needs and won't fall short halfway through because he doesn't have money.
I get that sometimes. My response is that it is not an issue of whether I can "afford," but rather whether there is value in that which you think I should be "affording." Then I say as an aside, the reason I am financially well off is because I don't go around "affording" things that don't have value to me. Also, the reason I do well financially is because I'm a good negotiator. A good negotiator doesn't get pressured or shaken by such elementary tactics such as "you should be able to afford..."
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 04:07 PM   #80
NiceRide
"TRF" Member

First of all, a good car salesman can easily make >$100k, I personally know a couple.

Secondly, a car salesman's attire has no bearing on a car deal but his attitude will. I judge you by how you treat me, and if you ignore me because I'm in basketball shorts and a tee then you probably lost out on a nice commission.

Finally, I do intend to sell cars at some point in my life, and when I do and you're ignoring me because I'm wearing my black-dialed ss Daytona, you will miss out on a good deal and some VIP treatment
NiceRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 04:09 PM   #81
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Digging deeper.

What do you make, and which watches do you own?
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 04:16 PM   #82
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRide View Post
First of all, a good car salesman can easily make >$100k, I personally know a couple.

Secondly, a car salesman's attire has no bearing on a car deal but his attitude will. I judge you by how you treat me, and if you ignore me because I'm in basketball shorts and a tee then you probably lost out on a nice commission.

Finally, I do intend to sell cars at some point in my life, and when I do and you're ignoring me because I'm wearing my black-dialed ss Daytona, you will miss out on a good deal and some VIP treatment
And you sound like you will do well. Even in a bad economy, a salesperson who wants to do well, can make a very nice living. The key is having a spouse with a consistent income or putting away the extra money when you have a great month for the months that are not so great.

Best wishes!!
Old 25 February 2012, 05:31 PM   #83
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Thankfully I'm not so shallow that I judge business or people based on a watch.
Old 26 February 2012, 12:47 AM   #84
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
I WILL NEVER DO Business with someone wearing a MILGAUS! I question their integrity and honor, they must be irresponsible for owning that watch.

See how ridiculous that sounds?
Old 26 February 2012, 12:55 AM   #85
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Car salespeople can make good money, the main thing is a positive attitude and treating people fairly. Also work with every "up" that walks into the showroom to make something happen.
Old 26 February 2012, 01:50 AM   #86
1675-David
"TRF" Member

How people decide to spend their money is neither mine nor anybody elses business, end of story
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2012, 02:11 AM   #87
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
Contrary to popular opinions in here, I tend to side with rookhawk. There is such a thing as "all hat, no cattle." They exist in every profession, but more so in sales fields, particularly car sales. Of course we all know and love our favorite car salesmen, who we know them as "honest, diligent, blah, blah, blah..." Those favorite salesmen are the exception from the norm. For each of those, there are numerous (car)salesmen who are lying, cheating scoundrels. Amongst those liars/cheaters are many who fit the description of "all hat, no cattle." Whether they fit that description by virtue of they way they talk, walk, the things they promise, the gold they wear, and/or the fake rolexes they sport, at the end of the day, they are: all hat and no cattle. I can conjure up very sharp, detailed images of the thugs Mr. rookhawk is refering to when he says "all hat, no cattle."
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2012, 02:38 AM   #88
scarab007
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Quote:
I guess I just remember how it felt to start out and to be a salesperson. It's a brutal job for the most part and with big-three auto makers, it's literally Glengarry Glenross in there.

I already know I'm working their margins to nothing and the salesman is stuck working with me for 3 hours to process the deal for a $200 commission.

I try to find the salesman that is young and modest in his attire to give my business because it's literally no-value-add welfare at the point of sale. (the numbers were negotiated with management before I enter the showroom) I'd rather give money to someone that appears to have his/her priorities right and a $60k salesman with a Rolex is not th kind of person I support. Keep in mind, at that salary range these folks are not paying any federal taxes because society classified them lower middle class. I also frown on people that don't pay fed taxes wearing rolexes or driving porches.

Rookhawk..you really are talking out of your . Please stop posting on this board with your stupid assumptions. If you would go do some fact finding first before talking. That would be great!
scarab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2012, 02:41 AM   #89
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
I don't think the majority has placed into question the concept of "all hat and no cattle"..........but what the majority has manifested is that one should not reach said conclusion "a priori", by solely glancing at the salesman wrist (where said salesman might be wearing a Rolex).

Liars, cheats, scoundrels, thugs..............? Agreed. All professions and walks of life have them, but its disqualifying to ASSume , that a car salesman is one, or might be one, because he is wearing an expensive watch.

Maybe he's dating Jennifer Lopez...................and that explains his Ferrari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_ord View Post
Contrary to popular opinions in here, I tend to side with rookhawk. There is such a thing as "all hat, no cattle." They exist in every profession, but more so in sales fields, particularly car sales. Of course we all know and love our favorite car salesmen, who we know them as "honest, diligent, blah, blah, blah..." Those favorite salesmen are the exception from the norm. For each of those, there are numerous (car)salesmen who are lying, cheating scoundrels. Amongst those liars/cheaters are many who fit the description of "all hat, no cattle." Whether they fit that description by virtue of they way they talk, walk, the things they promise, the gold they wear, and/or the fake rolexes they sport, at the end of the day, they are: all hat and no cattle. I can conjure up very sharp, detailed images of the thugs Mr. rookhawk is refering to when he says "all hat, no cattle."
Old 26 February 2012, 03:34 AM   #90
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_ord View Post
Who cares what watch a salesperson is wearing if you have the best numbers from the internet all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and leave with a new car. Today there isnt much a salesperson can do to play with the numbers all fees are very transparent, and invoice pricing is available on Edmunds.com. Also a lot of internet departments give qoutes below invoice on high volume cars. A car salesperson is different today than they were 30 years ago because of the internet, so the stereotypes dont apply as much as they used to.