The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2016, 05:28 AM   #61
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I just checked AG's web site. I don't think this is what I'm looking for. Nudie looks promising. I'll check rag and bone now.
If you see an AG store hop in and try them

You will be surprised!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:30 AM   #62
ecdc
"TRF" Member

PRPS Barracuda selvedge. My favorite.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:33 AM   #63
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Ive narrowed to levis and nudie. Sort of partial to Levis since I e been wearing them for 25 years or so- less these days due to disappointments... Now I know I was buying the wrong stuff!

Not that I'm a big flag waver or whatever but I like the idea of keeping it American, even if it's "only" the fabric. Nudie gets most of their fabric com Italy it seems. Italy and Tunisia.

The horse hide for my Schott came from Italy as well. But that is another thread all together...
all of my LVCs are US made. years ago there was a levi plant not far from me here in Scotland.
Old 5 September 2016, 05:34 AM   #64
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Agree Levi's regular ranges have gone to crap. Diesel still ok quality but the fit seems to have gone crap.

I look for very good condition old Diesel and Levi's on Ebay now.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:36 AM   #65
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Pretty sure these are the ones I wear most.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ag-gradu...color=ROBINSON
I recommend going to Nordstrom or Bloomingdales etc and trying a bunch on. That's how I found AG
Old 5 September 2016, 05:45 AM   #66
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I'm pretty much 75% AG and 25% Lucky for beater duty.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:55 AM   #67
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

7ForAllMankind for smart and True Religion casual
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:06 AM   #68
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
I wear Tellason Raw Selvedge Jeans. Couple of great guys to work with.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:24 AM   #69
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Diesel, seven and nautica for me. I gain and lose about 30lbs throughout the year so it really depends on the season.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:26 AM   #70
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I used to only wear AG but they never lasted for more than a season. I have some Levis 510 but their fit is inconsistent. My beater go to jeans are Uniqlo. They're cheap, look great and outlast everything else I buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:41 AM   #71
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Ralph Lauren Polo and Levi 501. Polo are a little roomier but I actually prefer the 30+ year old 501's. Probably because they are so worn in.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 10:41 AM   #72
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
7ForAllMankind for smart and True Religion casual
I sort of went the route for a while- dressier and work jeans; however I think if I do the right, my work jeans will graduate to casual jeans. So the point is I'm looking for my one and only jean brand moving forward. I can, and do, wear chinos or what ever when the need arises. I actually got away from jeans almost completely in the late 80's-90's. I was wearing dockers a lot then. Basically treated them like jeans but they looked slightly better.

Now coming back to more casual dress and it's not been as easy as going to any store and grabbing a couple pairs of Levis.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 10:54 AM   #73
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I collect jeans as well as watches, trying brands such as Evisu, Levi's, Gap, H&M etc

My go-to jeans are my 514 Commuter Levi's with the side pocket above the knee, which is sweat-free and odour-free as well, great for storing my passport or other important items on holiday or trips. In a climate in Hong Kong, it's not really sweat-free but I really like the fit of this one

A more recent purchase was a 513 Ice-Cool Levi's and this one really claims to keep you cool even in a humid/hot climate and it does feel a lot cooler as compared to other jeans

Levi's typically cost HK$899-1k here, around US$120-130 but amazingly I bought the 514 Commuter at the Levi's store in India and got it for $50 and then the 513 I bought in Sri Lanka for $60. Amazing value..!
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 11:39 AM   #74
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Another vote for Levi's 513, I bought some last year and they are really comfortable
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 11:56 AM   #75
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I used to only wear AG but they never lasted for more than a season. I have some Levis 510 but their fit is inconsistent. My beater go to jeans are Uniqlo. They're cheap, look great and outlast everything else I buy

There's a Uniqlo store near me so I'm going to check those out. Very inexpensive but they appear to be well made. Worth the price of admission to try them out. It seems sizing is all over the map so it's probably best to try them on in person anyway.

Would you say shrinkage is in line with other Selvage jeans? Probably 1-2" on the waist and inseam?
Old 5 September 2016, 12:04 PM   #76
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
May be too of a slim cut but Topman/Topshop has great jeans for a reasonable price around $50.

If you going to nordstroms then AG, 7forallmankind, boss, allsaints are all good brands.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 12:10 PM   #77
BigAl72
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue, GS SBGE001
LL bean makes very comfortable jeans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
BigAl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 12:49 PM   #78
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I went years without finding a pair I liked. I tried all the usual brands and some I'd never heard of. I stop wearing jeans altogether for about 18 months. Last Christmas, in a last ditch effort to see me in something that didn't have cargo pockets, my wife bought me two pairs of Stetson jeans. I've worn one of the pairs maybe twice. The other pair I ware all the time. So I'm batting 500 with Stetson.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 12:53 PM   #79
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl72 View Post
LL bean makes very comfortable jeans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
LL bean makes comfortable everything! Why the hell didn't I think of that I probably have two dozen shirts from them; I can't believe I've never tried their jeans. And their stuff last forever.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 02:02 PM   #80
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
There's a Uniqlo store near me so I'm going to check those out. Very inexpensive but they appear to be well made. Worth the price of admission to try them out. It seems sizing is all over the map so it's probably best to try them on in person anyway.

Would you say shrinkage is in line with other Selvage jeans? Probably 1-2" on the waist and inseam?
Try the Uniqlo

Actually try a few Selvedge Denims . . . tons out there . . . but watch out for the fake made Selvedge denims

Some are just stitched like Selvedge

Here the one from Adam Levine ( 9.99 at K-Mart . . .) . . . they just used a few inches of 'Selvedge fabric' . . .

A shame for the Selvedge Denims !

http://www.kmart.com/adam-levine-men...42VA84931312P#

Shrink ?

I suppose you know that Selvedge Denim is never washed . . . !
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 02:05 PM   #81
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I'll have to check these out. They sound good... I have had RL in the past- didn't notice if USA made it not, but they fit me like a wet diaper now. They did seem to hold up well enough.

I guess the problem is the new, as-delivered fit is way off from the worn in and well washed fit. I think the reissue 501's are interesting because it is a somewhat known change for me. I could end up with yet another brand/model and be back to square one.

I'm going to be working with my hands for my new (lower) paying job and I need some smart looking but durable and "wash n wear"-able jeans. I'd rather not spend $200 a pair since I WILL destroy them, but I need to be comfortable too.

please keep the suggestions coming everyone!
For doing real work, I think the best bang-for-buck would be something like Wrangler (cheap to replace) or Carhartt (real workwear).

If you want something a little nicer, then Levis (excepting their premium sub-brands) are about $60 per pair.

RRL are durable and well made, but they are workwear-inspired fashion, not actual workwear. I doubt many contractors would risk tearing up $300 jeans while on the job
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 02:07 PM   #82
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:

They are surprisingly well made. The shrinkage is minimal; maybe 1/2 inch on the waste. I wear their skinny jeans which have some stretch so inherent notice it

Their standard length is 34" which is way too long for me but they can shorten them for $5 while you wait.

rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 03:19 PM   #83
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I decided decades ago that Levis were the best cost/quality/fit product available to me and have continued to find this to be the case.
I buy 405 straight leg jeans and I notice the latest pair (fortnight ago) appear to say they are made in Pakistan. My other pairs don't say where they were made. There are minor differences in the branding inside but they all seem to fit the same and have the same quality construction. They don't shrink (at all) but I notice that more recent examples are not as stiff as they used to be.
I think half the battle is finding a good fit, nevermind price or brand. Levis are about A$100. here when you can buy jeans from the chain-stores for $20 - $50.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 03:51 PM   #84
Gus2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LV HULK
My most comfortable jeans are Tommy Bahama...but they are "a little pricey"...about $100 each.

I don't own many though...I probably have 5 or 6, 2 of them are Tommy Bahama and the rest are Levi's 569 I think.
Gus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 07:11 PM   #85
christianj
Banned

I'm a 7 for Mankind Slimmy guy as they offer several different weights and colors in that fit. Uniqlo is a good lower priced option but they tend to run VERY small and they typically do not stock many of the bigger sizes. I'm usually a 33 but in Uniqlo I had to go up to a 36 to get the fit I wanted so I would recommend going to a store and not ordering online unless you know what size you need. If your looking for cheap I would try Old Navy as well. They have a slim fit that's pretty decent and at that price you can trash them after a season.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 07:16 PM   #86
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I'm a 7 for Mankind Slimmy guy as they offer several different weights and colors in that fit. Uniqlo is a good lower priced option but they tend to run VERY small and they typically do not stock many of the bigger sizes. I'm usually a 33 but in Uniqlo I had to go up to a 36 to get the fit I wanted so I would recommend going to a store and not ordering online unless you know what size you need. If your looking for cheap I would try Old Navy as well. They have a slim fit that's pretty decent and at that price you can trash them after a season.
Yeah, my calves do not fit into Uniqlo jeans. They make my lower legs look like sausages... Decent quality, though

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:14 PM   #87
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Try the Uniqlo

Actually try a few Selvedge Denims . . . tons out there . . . but watch out for the fake made Selvedge denims

Some are just stitched like Selvedge

Here the one from Adam Levine ( 9.99 at K-Mart . . .) . . . they just used a few inches of 'Selvedge fabric' . . .

A shame for the Selvedge Denims !

http://www.kmart.com/adam-levine-men...42VA84931312P#

Shrink ?

I suppose you know that Selvedge Denim is never washed . . . !
Ten bucks and Adam's name on it? I think that is not what I'm looking for. I held Adam in higher regard before today... Nice watch collection...
Old 5 September 2016, 08:16 PM   #88
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
They are surprisingly well made. The shrinkage is minimal; maybe 1/2 inch on the waste. I wear their skinny jeans which have some stretch so inherent notice it

Their standard length is 34" which is way too long for me but they can shorten them for $5 while you wait.

34 is about perfect on the length. I'm surprised the shrink is so low. Possibly due to the stretch fabric, which I don't understand in jeans. I have a pair of Levi's that are stretchy fabric and they are strange...
Old 5 September 2016, 08:19 PM   #89
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I decided decades ago that Levis were the best cost/quality/fit product available to me and have continued to find this to be the case.
I buy 405 straight leg jeans and I notice the latest pair (fortnight ago) appear to say they are made in Pakistan. My other pairs don't say where they were made. There are minor differences in the branding inside but they all seem to fit the same and have the same quality construction. They don't shrink (at all) but I notice that more recent examples are not as stiff as they used to be.
I think half the battle is finding a good fit, nevermind price or brand. Levis are about A$100. here when you can buy jeans from the chain-stores for $20 - $50.
This is about where I was but Levis in the states are a total crap shoot these days, even in the same model number. It almost seems like they have whatever made and the. Decide after its done what label number to slap on it.

I'm glad for you being able to find a consistent product!
Old 5 September 2016, 08:22 PM   #90
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I put old navy with S&B jeans. I looked at them once- never tried them on.

Good note on the sizing. On line they have very little stock and it was clear from comments the sizing was all over the place. Milford mall apparently has a store. I tend to avoid Mauls as much as possible...