The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2022, 12:07 AM   #61
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I had an original DSSD that was my daily from 2008-11. My only complaint then was that the bracelet seemed puny versus the head of the watch, the slightly wider one on the 12 series addressed that. I find it extremely odd that they’re introducing a “new” version just a few years later that doesn’t seem different to me at all. I want to see a side by side comparison when these come out.
I’m with you. It seems the thinned the bezel is to show off the crystal some more and made the date larger which to my aging eyes is welcomed, but still would not trade that for the extension link. Still a hard pass and prefer the 12. On the flip side I’m definitely butthurt my 12 doesn’t have RLX Titanium on the back….surely it must be more special since it’s Rolex brand titanium…..right..
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 12:17 AM   #62
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Does it still have the original gas escape valve? (sorry lame joke)
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 12:21 AM   #63
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Hodinkee has a story on it know.
Thanks for this👍
Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 12:21 AM   #64
nucleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660B JC DeepSea
It looks like the Helium escape valve is now done in titanium...
nucleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 12:29 AM   #65
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleon View Post
I’ve just noticed and find it less elegant. I like the uniformity of texture and materials. Looks like a mistake to me.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:13 AM   #66
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleon View Post
not specified in any page about it
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:28 AM   #67
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
136660 Deep Sea differences

The case absolutely appears thinner on the Configure page link. It looks to me like the case is slimmed down, and the extra height is transferred to caseback, so I'm guessing it's the same overall thickness, just more caseback and less case.

As far as the other actually confirmed changes, I'm happy to see them incrementally updating the watch, not abandoning or discontinuing my favorite Rolex, but those changes are minor and do not appear to be worth "upgrading" from my 126660. The thinner bezel looks nice, the larger date window is barely noticeable but wouldn't hurt, and after playing with my bracelet for months in many different configurations after I got it I am in the extension removed crowd anyway. I actually like the "new" gas escape valve, quotations because it appears to be similar to previous Sea Dwellers, it breaks up the side of the case a little more.

Anyone seen any measurements or more side profile shots yet?
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:32 AM   #68
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
The case absolutely appears thinner on the Configure page link. It looks to me like the case is slimmed down, and the extra height is transferred to caseback, so I'm guessing it's the same overall thickness, just more caseback and less case.

As far as the other actually confirmed changes, I'm happy to see them incrementally updating the watch, not abandoning or discontinuing my favorite Rolex, but those changes are minor and do not appear to be worth "upgrading" from my 126660. The thinner bezel looks nice, the larger date window is barely noticeable but wouldn't hurt, and after playing with my bracelet for months in many different configurations after I got it I am in the extension removed crowd anyway. I actually like the "new" gas escape valve, quotations because it appears to be similar to previous Sea Dwellers, it breaks up the side of the case a little more.

Anyone seen any measurements or more side profile shots yet?
Interesting if that’s the case. It will be nice to see some side by side comparisons to support this hypothesis.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:39 AM   #69
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Interesting if that’s the case. It will be nice to see some side by side comparisons to support this hypothesis.
I might be wrong. Is that a SD43 in the Configure photo?

It still looks slightly thinner on the crown side as well. This is from the DeepSea gallery. Possibly wishful thinking still, until we get some measurements or side by side comparison. Hodinkee did not mention it that I can see, so I'm doubting it at this point.

slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:47 AM   #70
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

I had an SD43 and I hated the divers extension. It would pop open when I adjusted the bracelet for comfort.

I see the removal of this dumb "feature" (my opinion) as an upgrade. If you really are a diver and need such an extension, then get it from Rolex. But don't force everyone to have to deal with it.
With Omega now having a superior Ultra Deep model, I think Rolex still has room for improvement to catch up with Omega.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:53 AM   #71
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Only thing they could have done for me was keep the depth but somehow make it a couple of MM slimmer, that would be a real innovation.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:55 AM   #72
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

From hodinkee:

The little things. Rolex slimmed down the bezel ever so slightly to feature the chamfered sapphire crystal. The date window has been upsized by eight percent, resulting in the date itself also being larger. The watch continues to feature a titanium caseback – only now it's been renamed RLX titanium. RLX… like Rolex… you get it.

The brand also says that the chroma light display has been optimized and that one major feature has been removed. Gone is the Fliplock dive extension on the bracelet which previously allowed for an extra unsnap of the bracelet to aid in fitting over a wetsuit. Interestingly, this feature is also now gone from the standard 43mm steel Sea-Dweller.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 02:00 AM   #73
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Only thing they could have done for me was keep the depth but somehow make it a couple of MM slimmer, that would be a real innovation.
I agree Neil, and I’d welcome that change, but don’t think it happened with this update. Hasn’t been mentioned anywhere, and according to the OP, those changes we’ve heard of, came from the “horses mouth”
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 02:01 AM   #74
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Agreed

Many love the think chunky case profile, but for me it didn’t work. Now make it thinner somehow … that would be eureka
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 02:17 AM   #75
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I agree Neil, and I’d welcome that change, but don’t think it happened with this update. Hasn’t been mentioned anywhere, and according to the OP, those changes we’ve heard of, came from the “horses mouth”
Quote:
Agreed

Many love the think chunky case profile, but for me it didn’t work. Now make it thinner somehow … that would be eureka
Yeah, I had a DSSD a few years ago and wore it in rotation with a Breitling Seawolf and an Omega PO 45 so it didn't feel so thick, but now I've sold all those and the SD43 is more my speed.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:15 AM   #76
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Rolex representative didn’t mention anything to me regarding the case being slimmer. It’s truly the bezel only that changed.

However it’s interesting to see people here saying the watch seems slimmer: it was never that big in honesty, and is very well proportioned.

It’s just that submariner is very flat instead.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:22 AM   #77
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This happens every time the Deepsea is updated. Somewhere someone says something about it being slimmer based on a photo from a weird angle and somehow everybody starts repeating it until it becomes listed with all the the supposed updates. Meanwhile the Deepsea still remains as per the original, 17.7 mm thick. It was really bad on the 126660 as even media sources like ablogtowatch specifically stated it was slimmer and that they could feel it and blahblahblah, completely fabricated.
For it to be slimmed down, Rolex would have to go back to re-engineer and put the new watch thru R&D, I don’t think 1-1.5mm difference will be worth the money and hassle. As of right now, all case parts related to waterproofing are interchangeable through every generation. That’s very beneficial for maintenance and longevity to a manufacturer.

There is no data or mention by anyone associated with Rolex or media source that has even mentioned or referred to the thickness or a change to it. It’s a big chunky extra everything Rolex that is supposed to be what it is, for those who don’t match with it, Rolex has you covered with a variety of options and colors.
For me, guess I’m lucky to have the wrist for it, the Deepsea is my most comfortable watch and I love every single aspect of it(save for the larger date display that I never thought about until today).

But I guess we’ll see when the watch hits hands.
Old 31 March 2022, 03:25 AM   #78
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This happens every time the Deepsea is updated. Somewhere someone says something about it being slimmer based on a photo from a weird angle and somehow everybody starts repeating it until it becomes listed with all the the supposed updates. Meanwhile the Deepsea still remains as per the original, 17.7 mm thick. It was really bad on the 126660 as even media sources like ablogtowatch specifically stated it was slimmer and that they could feel it and blahblahblah, completely fabricated.
For it to be slimmed down, Rolex would have to go back to re-engineer and put the new watch thru R&D, I don’t think 1-1.5mm difference will be worth the money and hassle. As of right now, all case parts related to waterproofing are interchangeable through every generation. That’s very beneficial for maintenance and longevity to a manufacturer.

There is no data or mention by anyone associated with Rolex or media source that has even mentioned or referred to the thickness or a change to it. It’s a big chunky extra everything Rolex that is supposed to be what it is, for those who don’t match with it, Rolex has you covered with a variety of options and colors.
For me, guess I’m lucky to have the wrist for it, the Deepsea is my most comfortable watch and I love every single aspect of it(save for the larger date display that I never thought about until today).

But I guess we’ll see when the watch hits hands.
Well said!
Old 31 March 2022, 03:28 AM   #79
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

What is a thread without a picture of one of the last 126660 out there. PS: My AD is at W&W and talked to Rolex by my demand. Same case thickness. Directly from the booth.

Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:30 AM   #80
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Rolex representative didn’t mention anything to me regarding the case being slimmer. It’s truly the bezel only that changed.

However it’s interesting to see people here saying the watch seems slimmer: it was never that big in honesty, and is very well proportioned.

It’s just that submariner is very flat instead.
And Omegas behemoth even thicker than the Deepsea. It’s all jewelry now, buy based on what jewelry you like, it’s honestly not about function or a tool anymore. No one buys an RM Nadal to play tennis, you can hardly read the chrono on most APs, and while you can explore with an Explorer and dive with a Deepsea, the tech is obsolete for todays usage. It’s an emotional purchase made by varying degrees of needs, but hardly ever because you’re going to need that Daytona to time laps and measure speed. There are outliers but the core luxury watch enthusiasts is just enjoying the beauty, quality and functionality more the designed use. My two cents.
Old 31 March 2022, 03:34 AM   #81
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems strange to call it a new 2022 model …

I’m sure the very few who use it as a dive watch, will miss the flip lock extension
As a diver, the first thing I did was remove it as I don't wear my dive watches over my wet suit. Glad I have it though, even if it's in the box....
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:36 AM   #82
gerryb92
"TRF" Member

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...also-different
gerryb92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:36 AM   #83
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said!

Gotta love our passion though. It wouldn’t be interesting without the varying points of views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
What is a thread without a picture of one of the last 126660 out there. PS: My AD is at W&W and talked to Rolex by my demand. Same case thickness. Directly from the booth.

Awesome. Thanks for the update. There you have it. But for some this won’t be enough, they’ll keep hope alive and nudge along. Hahaha…
New Deepsea is now 11mm…wow…

Ps: I love the excitement Basel/W&W creates. Whether you like anything or not, your interest in the new watches by everyone is so intense.
Old 31 March 2022, 03:44 AM   #84
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

I actually prefer it with the flip flop on as it's easier to slide in and out the glide lock when you have the watch on.
Old 31 March 2022, 03:45 AM   #85
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Gotta love our passion though. It wouldn’t be interesting without the varying points of views.

Awesome. Thanks for the update. There you have it. But for some this won’t be enough, they’ll keep hope alive and nudge along. Hahaha…
New Deepsea is now 11mm…wow…

Ps: I love the excitement Basel/W&W creates. Whether you like anything or not, your interest in the new watches by everyone is so intense.
Same. My coworker asked me this morning why I was so silent and didn't do anything at work The watches was presented 8.30 in the morning here in Denmark. Haha.
Old 31 March 2022, 03:53 AM   #86
rmlovett1

I’m good with the old (12) version:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2022, 04:13 AM   #87
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Yes, Neil I agree 100% here. That would've been a great innovation. I do think the increasing size of the date window is a plus though. I always found the DSSD date to be more difficult to read and oddly disproportionate without a cyclops.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:19 AM   #88
akili_2000
"TRF" Member

Fully agree.
akili_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:26 AM   #89
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
Quote:

I’m good with the old (12) version:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can’t see the date 😂😂😂😂😂

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:48 AM   #90
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
The Deepsea is my favorite Rolex steel watch bar none so a lot to say on the matter.
Well, buncha folks rave about removing it for “better” fit so now Rolex has said hey buddy, we got you, we’ll take that piece off altogether, so you don’t have to remove it and have to store it. For this new remove a technical feature option we’ll charge you more.
Based on all the threads saying it’s best to remove it, this version should be nicknamed the TRF Deepsea, as it has the “super uncomfortable” extension already removed. It was such a prevalent “solution” that ADs even offered to remove it during purchase.

Amen brother! Will always be part of the 126660 faithful.
I share all the same feelings but not surprised because you and I have always seen eye to eye with our favorite reference.
For me, this is clearly a neutering of the baddest most technically engineered watch Rolex offered. Couple more years and they’ll remove the Deepsea Glidelock clasp and put on the standard SD43 version. This is another step for the brand away from that crazy term “tool watch” and closer to the term luxury jewelry.

I personally wear my Deepsea with the extension in, I think the extra couple grams of metal actually help to provide just a tiny bit of better balance with the case. Plus it just looks more badass. The Deepsea has been my favorite Rolex watch even over my BLRO because with its feature set and exaggerated design, it’s like the most “rolex” Rolex. It features bigger and bolder everything except the dial which is still standard size.
Which leads me to wonder…..

Since they made the bezel thinner if true, could that mean the dial is larger, even if by a millimeter or two. That would be welcomed. But not at the cost of losing a bracelet element.

Reference 126660 will go down as the best iteration and now the values will go up significantly. As most who live with a disco’d watch, this is pleasing on one end but comes with anxiety, over replacement concerns. Glad I got a 126660 before the drama hits the Deepsea, as people will start to swear by everything sacred that The Deepsea is now more comfortable for small wrists…..(yes, because now Rolex sells it with a feature you could have just done yourself, smh). But there it is “The (new)Rolex way”, less is more.

Put me down in the don’t have a reason to care but I care butthurt category.
Amen brother! I’m not surprised that your words share my exact thoughts on this as we have always seen eye to eye on our favorite reference. The 126660 will go down as the greatest in my opinion.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote