The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2023, 01:51 AM   #61
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
I reached out to my two good ADs I’m working with for a Sub date and they both said they haven’t gotten any shipments in the last six weeks.

Does anyone know how frequently watches are sent to ADs?

Ya that didn’t happen. My local AD told me the same thing when i asked for a Pepsi. So i bought my wife’s new ring somewhere else, and got that pepsi within a few months from my other AD. Now i spend $0 there, refuse to buy anything and use them to try on watches and tudors while buying them somewhere else.

They get watches every week, maybe minus any major holidays. If they don’t receive a shipment for 6 weeks they can pack up shop, they are losing Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:35 AM   #62
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partners View Post
I think unless u are a big VIP spender your time would be well spent traveling to other ADs in ur vicinity. These lists are completely arbitrary my friend and I concluded. He was on a couple of ADs list for a sub but after waiting more than a year decided to drive around and visit others. An AD around 1.5 hours away got him a sub at 6 months and still nothing from the original ADs to this point.

HOWEVER, I got a DJ41 SS from one of those original ADs with no purchase history in 3 months. Only stopped in once. Granted DJ is easier than sub but still u get my drift. All this stuff is arbitrary with some luck I think

There are 2 ADs within a 45 hour drive of me, been trying at both. There are a few others within 1.5-2hrs away but they are owned by the same small chain. Each chain has 3-5 stores.

I popped into one of the other stores in passing and asked a very nice SA what the average weight time for a sub is… he responded “it really depends, but I’ve seen folks get them in 6 months, some a year”. I said well I’d take that all day long… it’s been almost 3yrs. He then asked who my SA was at my local store… “oh she will hook you up”. Right…
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 03:38 AM   #63
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
I can't understand why buying stuff you don't want in the future hope of being offered a Rolex is seen as a sound strategy.

There is no guarantee of the ultimate reward. It's basically gambling.

If other purchases are necessary to qualify then why not establish exactly what these are up-front?

The other items can be put by, and when the desired Rolex comes in, the whole deal can be done at once.

Sadly I've not seen this at any AD. I imagine that it's because they can't be officially seen to do this sort of thing, and hence it's all nude, nudge, wink, wink and without any paper trail.
Exactly - spend $2,000 for a 10% increase of getting a Sub two months earlier, vs. spending the extra $2K going gray and get the Sub guaranteed within three days.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 03:50 AM   #64
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantBlue15202 View Post
They are not telling you the truth. They most likely get a shipment every week and I’d guess at least one sub is included each time.

If they operate fairly at some point they’ll call you…
Correct. They have plenty of watches. Just not for you, yet.
Best of luck.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 04:04 AM   #65
mulberry083
"TRF" Member

The only time ADs don’t get watches is early to mid January. Other than that deliveries happen regularly.

mulberry083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 05:52 AM   #66
Partners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKScripto View Post
There are 2 ADs within a 45 hour drive of me, been trying at both. There are a few others within 1.5-2hrs away but they are owned by the same small chain. Each chain has 3-5 stores.

I popped into one of the other stores in passing and asked a very nice SA what the average weight time for a sub is… he responded “it really depends, but I’ve seen folks get them in 6 months, some a year”. I said well I’d take that all day long… it’s been almost 3yrs. He then asked who my SA was at my local store… “oh she will hook you up”. Right…
3 years? I’m sorry man. Philly area here so lots of AD choices considering you can even goto NYC if u want. Some things probably area dependent as well.
Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 08:01 AM   #67
Chaucer1787
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
In my experience, sincerity and follow-ups work. I’d say every 2 weeks follow up. I was able to get 2 subs within the last month. The two-tone was a first ever purchase, offered upon my first call to AD and just grabbed the stainless today after waiting a month at another AD. I only bought like a 600.00 Hamilton Field watch from the AD who allocated me the stainless sub date. “Packaged deals” and an expansive spend history are not Rolex ideals, this is all AD-based. You should have no problem being allocated a sub from an AD with little to no spend history. If you get the feeling this isn’t the case, move on and contact another AD. Unfortunately it does take a little effort if the AD route is the one you choose to take.

Chaucer1787 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 11:36 AM   #68
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partners View Post
3 years? I’m sorry man. Philly area here so lots of AD choices considering you can even goto NYC if u want. Some things probably area dependent as well.

Yep. Oh well man, it’s only a watch. I’ll keep at it when it’s convenient for me, in passing, etc. Heading to 4 European countries this summer so who knows, maybe I get lucky at an AD somewhere haha
Old 14 April 2023, 03:31 PM   #69
jelmedia
Banned

Quote:
I reached out to my two good ADs I’m working with for a Sub date and they both said they haven’t gotten any shipments in the last six weeks.

They most likely get a shipment every week and for sure they might have a Sub included maybe they have more persons on the wait list for same watch or they are not telling you the truth.
jelmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:32 AM   #70
Wristivity
Banned

ADs are quick to say when last they receive shipment only when they have not received in a recent time.
Wristivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:58 AM   #71
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry083 View Post
The only time ADs don’t get watches is early to mid January. Other than that deliveries happen regularly.

Or during some "odd" times, like mid-2021 when Rolex SA did some massive systems upgrade and wasn't shipping anything for a few weeks.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 06:19 AM   #72
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Update : I spoke to my AD and he’s asking for patience. He feels very confident he can get me the sun date before my birthday in October. I think the fact it’s so far out is letting him prioritize other people.

He also let me try on every watch and said don’t settle for anything outside of the sub date if that’s what you want.

Side note: I went to another brand new AD totally different experience. She had zero interest in showing me the models, asking me questions about myself etc. she said they stopped doing lists years ago and we just register interest. She suggested I check out the Tudor section and “be a customer.”
Old 15 April 2023, 06:52 AM   #73
Steverin06
Banned

Plot twist: Next shipment with a Sub is going to be kept a secret
Steverin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 12:06 AM   #74
Chaucer1787
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Update : I spoke to my AD and he’s asking for patience. He feels very confident he can get me the sun date before my birthday in October. I think the fact it’s so far out is letting him prioritize other people.

He also let me try on every watch and said don’t settle for anything outside of the sub date if that’s what you want.

Side note: I went to another brand new AD totally different experience. She had zero interest in showing me the models, asking me questions about myself etc. she said they stopped doing lists years ago and we just register interest. She suggested I check out the Tudor section and “be a customer.”

Seems accurate. And there is no “list”, at least sequentially, anywhere… except I did read a post on here last week about how an AD in South Korea is first-come, first-served. From my understanding, ADs get a decent allotment of subs. For instance, the one at which I just picked up mine told me there’s another guy (great customer) who wants one for a wedding in October. She knows she can make that happen and he has many watches already so she allocated this last one to me- a first-timer, disenchanted with the whole state of affairs among ADs.

If the AD route is your chosen method (and it is for me), just hang on and be patient. It’s going to happen. Email twice a month, don’t be too pushy and be cordial. In other words, just be a normal human.

Old 16 April 2023, 12:06 AM   #75
Chaucer1787
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer1787 View Post
Seems accurate. And there is no “list”, at least sequentially, anywhere… except I did read a post on Reddit last week about how an AD in South Korea is first-come, first-served. From my understanding, ADs get a decent allotment of subs. For instance, the one at which I just picked up mine told me there’s another guy (great customer) who wants one for a wedding in October. She knows she can make that happen and he has many watches already so she allocated this last one to me- a first-timer, disenchanted with the whole state of affairs among ADs.

If the AD route is your chosen method (and it is for me), just hang on and be patient. It’s going to happen. Email twice a month, don’t be too pushy and be cordial. In other words, just be a normal human.

Old 16 April 2023, 12:46 AM   #76
Nads786
"TRF" Member

From the ADs perspective the demand is so strong they need to have some filter criteria no matter how arbitrary.

Think about online dating for women, so many men swiping right their standards increase by 10 fold.

When this demand slows down, some of these ADs are in trouble. There is a huge lack of sales skills. If I say I travel a lot maybe ask where? Ask what I do for work? Laugh at my jokes.
Old 16 April 2023, 12:57 AM   #77
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer1787 View Post
Seems accurate. And there is no “list”, at least sequentially, anywhere… except I did read a post on here last week about how an AD in South Korea is first-come, first-served. From my understanding, ADs get a decent allotment of subs. For instance, the one at which I just picked up mine told me there’s another guy (great customer) who wants one for a wedding in October. She knows she can make that happen and he has many watches already so she allocated this last one to me- a first-timer, disenchanted with the whole state of affairs among ADs.

You done well getting the steel sub but randomly emailing every two weeks to ask for updates is a bit much, in my opinion. It will likely get very annoying for your sales person who will need to keep coming up with polite ways to respond. So I would suggest pushing that back a bit. Once you become a more established customer you should be in mind for the pieces without having to constantly ask.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 01:02 AM   #78
rolex_pl85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I'll translate:

"We've sold all our stock to Grey dealers and the rest to VVIP Flippers"
Pretty much this.

Hopefully as the watch market continues to drop all this nonsense goes away.

Way too many shifty and immoral things happening around watches. Especially with crypto and watches. Huge huge illegal activity around this stuff.
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 04:24 AM   #79
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Neither like ya. Thats one way of making sure ya don't bug them again for a while. Find another AD asap. If anything, shipments are now doubled of what ADs were receiving last year but so is the waitlist (and VIP clients).
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 02:05 PM   #80
Ogelsbob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126000 OP36 Silver
Quote:
I never even bothered with them. I've heard bad things. CD Peacock was also a very bad experience. One sales person said it's "good to buy jewelry."

I really liked James and Sons and James and Williams. They have been more transparent in how the process works and status of watches they get.
I have visited all of these AD's and I agree that James & Sons and James & Williams were among the most pleasant to visit.

----------------
124200 OP34 Silver
67243 OP26 18K/SS
91520 Tudor Prince-Quartz Oysterdate
3944j Patek Phillipe Quartz
Ogelsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:22 PM   #81
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Did OP get his sub? It’s October now….

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:48 PM   #82
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Answer is probably no.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 09:52 PM   #83
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Ha you guys are good at following up. The answer is no I did not. I just followed up with my AD again lightly bringing up that my birthday is in two weeks.

Waiting on a reply. I did give him a jewelry referral recently but doesn’t seem likely it will happen in October.

Some additional context, I paid him a visit in August and he said it would be another 2-4 months which means as long as the first week of December.

If I knew the timeline would be this long I would of gone gray in March.

Old 19 October 2023, 09:57 PM   #84
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha you guys are good at following up. The answer is no I did not. I just followed up with my AD again lightly bringing up that my birthday is in two weeks.

Waiting on a reply. I did give him a jewelry referral recently but doesn’t seem likely it will happen in October.

Some additional context, I paid him a visit in August and he said it would be another 2-4 months which means as long as the first week of December.

If I knew the timeline would be this long I would of gone gray in March.

At least they gave you a vague timeline. That’s more than most ADs will give you. People can live with “2-4 months” in most cases, rather than the BS they feed most of their customers.

Assuming they do get you that sub in <1 year … that’s not too bad considering.
Old 19 October 2023, 09:59 PM   #85
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At least they gave you a vague timeline. That’s more than most ADs will give you. People can live with “2-4 months” in most cases, rather than the BS they feed most of their customers.

Assuming they do get you that sub in <1 year … that’s not too bad considering.

It’s a bit frustrating for me since he was so adamant that he could get me a sub in March. I really felt like Summer would happen.

Old 19 October 2023, 10:02 PM   #86
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a bit frustrating for me since he was so adamant that he could get me a sub in March. I really felt like Summer would happen.

Yep that does suck. Didn’t realize they all but promised you one earlier — I probably didn’t read well enough. Unfortunately most ADs have trained themselves to white lie a lot, so keeping their word isn’t at the top of the to-do list.

I honestly have not gotten a watch unless I’ve pressed the AD hard. Respectfully but firmly, if that makes sense. It’s a darn shame.
Old 19 October 2023, 10:11 PM   #87
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Subs have hardly and premium at this point especially when considering up front sales t*x. Just buy from a reseller BNIB.

Your ADs are lying fools.
Old 19 October 2023, 10:24 PM   #88
mulberry083
"TRF" Member

Agree, there’s something wrong here, the Sub shouldn’t take this long. The “no deliveries” comment from them simply isn’t true. You’ll end up waiting for December and then they’ll put you off for another month or two, as there actually is a delivery suspension in January for a few weeks. Go grey and don’t be afraid to start at 5-10% below asking.

mulberry083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:40 PM   #89
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep that does suck. Didn’t realize they all but promised you one earlier — I probably didn’t read well enough. Unfortunately most ADs have trained themselves to white lie a lot, so keeping their word isn’t at the top of the to-do list.

I honestly have not gotten a watch unless I’ve pressed the AD hard. Respectfully but firmly, if that makes sense. It’s a darn shame.

What leverage do you have by pressing firmly? What will they lose exactly from me? A maybe jewelry purchase in the future? There are probably people spending money on jewelry today who want the watch.

Old 19 October 2023, 10:41 PM   #90
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry083 View Post
Agree, there’s something wrong here, the Sub shouldn’t take this long. The “no deliveries” comment from them simply isn’t true. You’ll end up waiting for December and then they’ll put you off for another month or two, as there actually is a delivery suspension in January for a few weeks. Go grey and don’t be afraid to start at 5-10% below asking.

Yeah it’s frustrating since this is the Sub Date not even the Sub. I’m reluctant to go grey for two reasons:

1) I want this to be a in person experience so there is a memory associated with it rather than another internet purchase

2) Massive sunk cost fallacy - I would be irate if I bought grey and then get the call.