The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 November 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
PONY

Icon20 2009 Sea Dweller Deep Sea

Welcome to the unveiling of the new SDDS.
The concept of a deep sea diver became a reality in 1961 with the formation of "COMEX" by Henri G. Delauze. It was the first industrial deep sea diving company created for off shore oil companies. Delauze developed underwater breathing gear for the divers working at depths greater than 500 meters.
To monitor the time spent at these depths, Rene-Paul Jeanneret created the "TOOL" watch in 1950. He also assisted Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of ROLEX in 1908, with the sports watch. Delauze, Jeanneret & Wilsdorf combined their talents and created a deep sea watch. In 1966 the Sea Dweller arrived.
Today, COMEX divers are required to wear the Sea Dweller or Submariner while performing maintenance on offshore oil platforms around the world.

I purchased the SDDS a month ago. I have been wearing it everyday since then. I have no complaints. My 6 1/4" wrist is not to small to keep it upright & tight. It does feel a bit heavy at 222g, but it is not uncomfortable to wear
all day/night. I kinda like that extra weight feeling, it reminds me it's on my wrist. The Submariner doesn't feel as if I am wearing a watch, it's that light.

The specifications can be found on the Rolex website. I have attached some of the photos I took yesterday, not leaving anything to your imagination.

Rolex is 1 of only 3 in house watch manufactures. In the R&D of the SDDS
the only item not made by Rolex is the steel used to make the watch. NASA, unknowingly helped Rolex select the steel to be used. It is known as 904L.
It is the hardest material available to date. In the making of the 43mm case, Rolex had to build a 250 ton press which could only stamp 2 cases at a time. 904L is so hard that the 250 ton press had to be re-calibrated after every other pressing. 904L adds to the overall weight of a finished SDDS watch.

The bottom line is this. It's new and desirable. There is going to be a limited number available. There have already been 2 price increases. It was made for a specific task so keep that in mind when you discuss how "heavy" it is.
It has a number of improvements which only enhances its value. You'll have to get use to those who ask " Is that the new Rolex ?" Comments such as
" Wow, can I touch it. That is awesome dude ". Yes, that was from a man who sat down next to me at the counter.

The only unfortunate part of this purchase will be that the only deep sea diving this watch will ever see, will be at the bottom of my swimming pool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (33.2 KB, 6433 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.jpg (117.1 KB, 6466 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0227.jpg (39.4 KB, 6431 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.jpg (13.5 KB, 6446 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0221.jpg (60.7 KB, 6475 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0222.jpg (63.3 KB, 6456 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0233.jpg (105.3 KB, 6534 views)
File Type: jpg P1000130.jpg (64.2 KB, 6555 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0236.jpg (62.4 KB, 6534 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0237.jpg (39.2 KB, 6662 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (65.9 KB, 6560 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0242.jpg (94.8 KB, 6421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (96.9 KB, 6403 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0241.jpg (45.1 KB, 6394 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0240.jpg (55.5 KB, 6400 views)
PONY is offline   Reply With Quote