The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2021, 10:57 PM   #61
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As we know, forget Rolex as a walk-in customer. Of course there are long wait times due to far too much currency chasing too few goods / services.

Time to think outside the round case

You really should consider getting the amazing Bvlgari Octo FS

Bvlgari_Octo_Finissimo_S.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:00 PM   #62
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
A DJ36 or 41 depending on wrist size and personal preference is still realistically achievable.

And the jubilee bracelet is so damn comfy.

Otherwise agreed you could pick up an omega today and be happy. The new speedy bracelet is also very good.

There’s a GS bracelet bashing bandwagon online. They’re not that bad. Really. We don’t bash the lack of a glide lock on the oysterflex Daytona do we when it’s available on another oysterflex model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with the GS bracelets. They are very comfortable and well made. The clasp is not on the same level as modern Rolex and the lack of micro adjustments is not ideal. But they wear and feel quite nice.
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:10 PM   #63
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Too many brands and too many watches in general on the market. With the exception of Rolex and a handful of others, almost all watches are a massively depreciating asset. People are just not wearing watches anymore and those that do are very fickle. Never mind the fact that the biggest watch maker on the planet is Apple. Buy what you like, but remember you are not buying a financial instrument.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:10 PM   #64
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
A ton of good suggestions thrown your way already. OP, from the sounds of it, the emotional itch won't be scratched with anything other than a Rolex... But if my assessment isn't accurate, I recommend these options:

Omega Aqua Terra (if too boring, opt for one with the GMT function)
Grand Seiko White Birch. If GS bracelets is the issue for you, then you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that this new gen of GS has a very solid feeling bracelet. MSRP for this watch is around $9,200 so you're at the gray Rolex OP price. But to me, this GS is much more impressive and has more to show at this price point.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:16 PM   #65
ryangambrill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
I'm not going to use the word that starts with an "in" and ends with "vestment"
as I really am not looking to flip. I just dont want to lose my shirt and feel like a schmuck.

I have gotten my head around paying above retail (took me awhile....), but come on. $9k for an OP39, shoot me.

Is there anything out there on a bracelet that you guys (and girls) really like for the money? I've been though so much:

- Fifty Fathoms had me twice. Such an amazing watch, just so heavy and cant afford the titanium
- Sub had me a couple times, too. But so common.
- I want to like the Milgauss (im a big dork) but just cant.
- Speedmaster... LOVE... just so many versions and, unless its a snoopy, i fall asleep
- Grand Seiko NEEDS to learn to make a solid bracelet

Considering -
- Datejust 41 (how can i pay so much above retail....)
- New IWC Pilot 43 (Bracelet looks amazing)
- JLC Polaris
BUT LOOKING FOR A ROLEX.

Sorry, venting as i type this. I just want to feel like my money went in well. What is out there that is "well priced"...
I have been wearing Rolex for almost 25 years. Refuse to purchase anything from an AD just to "earn the privilege" of purchasing a new Rolex at MSRP. With that being said, I am adding pieces to the collection that truly have my interest. Maybe I will luck out and move up the "waitlist". Either way, not going to lose sleep over it to or overthink the situation.

There are MANY amazing pieces that are much more available (also equal or better quality) but not necessarily lower price point than the Rolex.

Some items on my short list:
- Tudor - BB58, BB Ceramic, Chrono
- Cartier Santos ADLC
- JLC Master Control Ultra Thin
- Sub SS & Sub TT w/ Serti
ryangambrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:25 PM   #66
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
... just itch when i have to pay over retail...
Me too. I know, it's not logical, people here bash those of us with this mindset (MSRP is quite arbitrary, I know) but it's hard to get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
At least in my experience...if you want a Rolex, then you want a Rolex, and anything else is still going to leave you wanting a Rolex.

It's weird to me, I'll admit - I've had many Rolexes and Omegas, and even though I know logically that the Omega is just as well made and nearly as accurate as a Rolex, generally obtainable and often at a discount, I still have trouble justifying $5K for a AT or SMP or whatever, but can easily rationalize a $8000 Sub.

Although I suspect that in the back of my fickle mind, I know I'll be selling the watch within a year (I'm fickle) and I'm likely to get my money back out of the Rolex but not from the Omega.

And I'm surprisingly content with my simple BB58 right now (which cost less than any new Omega or Rolex).

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:28 PM   #67
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Agree! I’ve got the panda tokyo and love it……they are about 15k now but that’s cheap when compared to the white ceramic daytona….
It's almost Rolex-like....the blue and others can still be had for under $8k but the Panda that had same or very similar original price is hard to find under $13k.

Several months after the series came out the Panda was around $8 or 9k. I decided to wait til it came back down...that clearly was a bad move because I like it enough to pay today's price once I sell a few seldom worn pieces.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:31 PM   #68
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Get a new Aqua Terra and call it a day.
This is solid advice. The 38mm Aqua Terra with the white dial is a stunner!
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:34 PM   #69
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
It's almost Rolex-like....the blue and others can still be had for under $8k but the Panda that had same or very similar original price is hard to find under $13k.

Several months after the series came out the Panda was around $8 or 9k. I decided to wait til it came back down...that clearly was a bad move because I like it enough to pay today's price once I sell a few seldom worn pieces.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yea you can always look for the apollo version that is panda dial but has the date in red on it…..they are creeping up quick…..I got the tokyo when I saw them creeping up….but I missed the boat on the Alaska project….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 12:21 AM   #70
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
My vote is for the new EXP2 226570. I can't imagine a better daily, and, as far as the money...well, it might be a little over your budget, but when you're talking Rolex, drawing imaginary lines in the sand is an exercise in futility, to say the least.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 12:53 AM   #71
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
My vote is for the new EXP2 226570. I can't imagine a better daily, and, as far as the money...well, it might be a little over your budget, but when you're talking Rolex, drawing imaginary lines in the sand is an exercise in futility, to say the least.
why not save a couple bucks and get the 216570?
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 02:24 AM   #72
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
I'm not going to use the word that starts with an "in" and ends with "vestment"
as I really am not looking to flip. I just dont want to lose my shirt and feel like a schmuck.

I have gotten my head around paying above retail (took me awhile....), but come on. $9k for an OP39, shoot me.

Is there anything out there on a bracelet that you guys (and girls) really like for the money? I've been though so much:

- Fifty Fathoms had me twice. Such an amazing watch, just so heavy and cant afford the titanium
- Sub had me a couple times, too. But so common.
- I want to like the Milgauss (im a big dork) but just cant.
- Speedmaster... LOVE... just so many versions and, unless its a snoopy, i fall asleep
- Grand Seiko NEEDS to learn to make a solid bracelet

Considering -
- Datejust 41 (how can i pay so much above retail....)
- New IWC Pilot 43 (Bracelet looks amazing)
- JLC Polaris
BUT LOOKING FOR A ROLEX.

Sorry, venting as i type this. I just want to feel like my money went in well. What is out there that is "well priced"...

I was in a similar boat and have similar tastes.

I got an OP41 and it’s been great. I’d recommend going Rolex first in a very classic timeless reference before exploring other options. I’d also go through your local AD and not buy used.

I’d recommend either an OP41 black/silver dial, Explorer 36 steel.

If your wrist is larger than 7.0 inch I’d go with a Datejust 41. If it’s 7.0 inch or wrist is more round than flat I’d go with a DJ36.

If you get the DJ, I’d recommend the jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel for maximum comfort and for the classic design for the reference. Any dial that you prefer.

If you’re looking to save some money and don’t mind having a slightly less classic look, I’d go with oyster bracelet and smooth steel bezel.

These combinations will be available at your AD with a short wait. I’d expect about 1 year for these references mentioned.

If you choose a very popular DJ41 reference such as blue or Wimbledon dial with jubilee and fluted, expect to wait 2+ years.

If I had to pick just 1 without knowing your wrist size.. I’d say go Datejust 36 silver dial, jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. That’ll be moderately priced, short wait time, and classic size/design forever. Can’t go wrong.

Interested to see what you end up requesting and when you get it.
Old 1 December 2021, 03:01 AM   #73
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I feel for the OP but asking about “other than Rolex” on a Rolex forum tends to raise hackles. That said the current market pricing is just nuts! I purchased my gently used Hulk five years ago for $7500 and now I see a forum favorite grey is listing one for more than $27,000. I think we are all secretly wondering when (or if) it will come back down to earth. If you believe it won’t then suck it up and buy the Rolex you want since (presumably) it will retain its value. I’m concerned it’s a bubble myself but, it just keeps going, so obviously I’m wrong. I’ve moved on to other brands for now and I’m actually looking at the IWC Big Pilot 43 mentioned by the OP. Easy for me to say since I have the Rolex watches I want save for the Pepsi GMT; I do have a Tudor Pepsi but…it’s not the one I want!

I continue to ask my two local AD’s about the Pepsi; let’s just say it isn’t going well….
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 03:03 AM   #74
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Have an AT and gave my DJ to my wife. Prefer the AT. Just feels more substantial all around.

Have you considered the Zenith Chronomaster Sport?
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 03:06 AM   #75
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Laureato
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 03:19 AM   #76
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would probably buy this from Danny at 13k to be honest. I have no interest in helping Danny sell it lol just thought it was a good option at 13k for a daily and half entertained buying it myself as someone who likes new.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=827039
Old 1 December 2021, 03:26 AM   #77
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
JLC is a great choice, very interested in an Ultra Thin Moon Phase right now. Also an Omega Railmaster 40mm, all the magnetic resistance of a Milgauss and shock absorption of an Explorer in one for $5200 retail. Under $5K gray market. It's also 150M water resistance.

I've seen a number of reviews of the Glashutte SeaQ and they are a great option. Comparisons next to the Sub favor the SeaQ on almost every measure. If I didn't have a Seamaster and an SD43 I'd get one. I just don't need another diver.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 03:27 AM   #78
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would probably buy this from Danny at 13k to be honest. I have no interest in helping Danny sell it lol just thought it was a good option at 13k for a daily and half entertained buying it myself as someone who likes new.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=827039
Oh man! If that was a white dial I'd be all over it. Still an excellent price for a great watch.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 04:00 AM   #79
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
this is my favourite non Rolex watch

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 04:07 AM   #80
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Oh man! If that was a white dial I'd be all over it. Still an excellent price for a great watch.

For sure. I second your choices as well if OP wants to branch out. MUT moon is so good.
Old 1 December 2021, 04:21 AM   #81
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I wouldn't dismiss the Speedmaster for the reasons mentioned. Take a look at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics models. Classic Speedy Pro but with more interesting dials and bezels.
+1. I'm partial to the red bezel/silver dial, but all five models add a little extra to the classic Speedy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpeedyRisingSun.jpg (190.6 KB, 390 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 04:37 AM   #82
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
+1. I'm partial to the red bezel/silver dial, but all five models add a little extra to the classic Speedy.
If that had an open caseback i would have three...
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 04:47 AM   #83
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Cartier Santos. Tried on the ADLC with the rubber strap. That piece is a stunner!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 05:14 AM   #84
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

new speedmaster sapphire or Breitling Navitimer 43mm
Chromosome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 05:43 AM   #85
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
a ton of excellent options already mentioned- as to the titanium Fifty Fathoms, if you poke around, you can find the lovely blue dialed version with the titanium bracelet for a hair under $13.5K, or the Grand date, black dialed titanium version, on a bracelet, for under $15, which is a little more than you mentioned, but still about 25% under list
Old 1 December 2021, 05:52 AM   #86
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I think your best bet in terms of balancing premium to retail cost is the SD43.

Retail with tax on them is like $11.5-12k and they can be had new on the secondary market for high 14’s low 15’s. That’s probably one of the lowest absolute premiums of the lineup of Rolexes today.
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 05:54 AM   #87
tymonster
"TRF" Member

I had a JLC Polaris and enjoyed it very much but the 100m WR and lack of screw downs made me get rid of it as a daily. For me daily = same as a vacation watch and it's gotta be something I can swim in. Even the JLC SA recommend against swimming in it.

That brought me to a BB58 which was an awesome watch. But after a few months it bored me. Super comfortable, but otherwise nothing exciting. I added a Black Bay Chrono reverse panda, but ultimately couldn't make it work daily due to the size and thickness.

Which brings me to my current daily and lifetime never get rid of piece (along with my SD4K and BLRO)... my Glashutte Original SeaQ 39.5.

The GO wears like a BB58 or 5 digit sub, but is overbuilt like a SeaDweller. I would strongly consider it as a daily piece that's within that price range you mention (can be had new for a few thousand off retail), has some character to the dial, an awesome micro adjustment, and built like a tank feel. Better fit and finish than any Rolex you'll buy. Similar to JLC but more rugged build compared to a Polaris.

After almost 5 months of daily wear and a Breckenridge and Puerto Vallarta vacation, the vertically brushed case shows zero signs of wear. Aside from the PCLs the watch looks brand new. And it's insanely accurate.

tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 05:55 AM   #88
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree with the OP's statements concerning the craziness of the pricing, even for entry level Rolexes. If it must be a Rolex for a daily, there's no safer bet in my opinion than the Sub. Common. Yes, relatively so. But just a very satisfying watch (and one that I think has the least chance of being a stupid choice from a financial perspective). The nicely appointed Ford F150 of the watch (and Rolex) world.

However, I like even better the idea that others have floated -- the Omega AT. Nearly impossible to beat for a daily (and maybe one and only), and readily available new or pre-owned.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 05:57 AM   #89
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Have you looked at the Zenith Chronomaster Sport? Really nice watch with a nice bracelet and legendary movement. Seems like a good value dollar for dollar.
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 06:03 AM   #90
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
At your price point, do not leave Rolex since you care about value retention (as I do).

Work the Datejust angle with an AD. Depending on the DJ config you want, you should be able to get one in under 6 months at retail.

Who knows, maybe even end up with a Sub at retail next.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote