The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2021, 06:02 AM   #61
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Internet Jeff is inclined to say anybody who doesn't own a hesalite Speedy Pro just doesn't like chronos, or maybe even watches. Real life Jeff might tone that down slightly, but you get the point. And neither Jeff can handle the new Zenith chrono. The 3 different color subdials conjure up feelings of comparing paint sample cards at Sherwin Williams. I've perhaps never seen anything that off-putting on an otherwise great watch. To end on a positive note, I will say it is almost certainly the best made Daytona homage out there :)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:13 AM   #62
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Internet Jeff is inclined to say anybody who doesn't own a hesalite Speedy Pro just doesn't like chronos, or maybe even watches. Real life Jeff might tone that down slightly, but you get the point. And neither Jeff can handle the new Zenith chrono. The 3 different color subdials conjure up feelings of comparing paint sample cards at Sherwin Williams. I've perhaps never seen anything that off-putting on an otherwise great watch. To end on a positive note, I will say it is almost certainly the best made Daytona homage out there :)
I agree the Speedmaster is a great watch, probably the most legible and symmetrically balanced chronograph.

The Tri-Color is a Classic Zenith design and respectfully disagree with your assessment. It is quite subtle and beautiful in person.

Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:21 AM   #63
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I have the blue 2020 Tokyo Olympics Speedmaster but really want one of these white/Panda versions. Unfortunately they are trading at a $5000 premium over the other colors. The ceramic Daytona does nothing for me, even at MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Agree 100%
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:23 AM   #64
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The next best thing next to a Daytona,is the other one.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:32 AM   #65
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0279a View Post
The Tri-Color is a Classic Zenith design and respectfully disagree with your assessment. It is quite subtle and beautiful in person.
No need to be respectful when I'm being an ass haha. I do like the look of your Zenith more than the latest ones. It looks like its subdials are larger and that works more for me somehow. What year is that one?
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 06:48 AM   #66
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

By an absolute country mile.

Perfect everything when it comes to Chronograph’s. Still waiting for mine. Long time coming.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 08:16 AM   #67
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
Zenith El Primero or Omega Speedmaster

- Zenith used to make movements for the Daytona
- Omega's Speedmaster heritage is that of the legendary chronograph that went to the moon
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 08:31 AM   #68
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

The modern Daytonas are popular because they are gorgeous, elegant, versatile, robust, and present a wide range of choices in colors, materials and band options. They are not at all useful as actual chronometers and even telling time is reminder of your presbyopic shortcomings but they have a magic, a mystique and are gorgeous enough to help you get past any issues with functionality. If you had to own one watch IMO a Sub would be a much better choice over a Daytona but if you own both you'll spend 90% or your time wearing the Daytona.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:09 AM   #69
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Ha!

If I wanted one I would’ve bought one when it wasn’t that hard to find them, but there is nothing I like about them.

Modern versions also have one thing that makes me cringe, I just can’t un-see it. The sub dial at 9 o’clock has the 6 flipped to read from outside the dial when all the other numbers read from within the dial. I get why they did it but it’s so unbalanced it hurts. Should’ve just gone 4 8 12 in keeping with the rest of the watch so all the numbers faced the same way.

Horrible to look at.

So the Daytona’s imbalance bothers you to the point it hurts, but the fact that the Submariner has minute hash markings on only one quarter of the bezel is just fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Curious how many folks have nothing but negative to say about the Daytona. Is it just to reduce the frustration due to lack of availability? Sorta like the fat guy talking about a hot chicks pointy elbows…
Bingo.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:37 AM   #70
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

El Primero or Speedy. Actually They may be comparable to the Daytona imo.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:14 AM   #71
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I'd argue that the Daytona is the next best thing to a Speedmaster

Great option! Beautiful watch
Old 6 October 2021, 10:15 AM   #72
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Wrote a blog post a while back for the best Daytona alternatives.
  • Girard Perregaux Laureato Chronograph
  • Omega Speedmaster
  • Zenith El Primero
  • Tudor Black Bay Chronograph
Great article, very well written, thanks for the link
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:18 AM   #73
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not a chrono guy but as of lately I've been lusting for one. White or Black Daytona for me it's the real deal but I don't comfortable as of now paying that price (investments and other business are my priority right now) so I was wondering, is the Black Bay chrono the next best thing to a Daytona? Obviously they're worlds apart but I'm refering to wearability, versatility and durability. I've fallen in love with Tudor and maybe this is my next move.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
I am lusting after the new sport el primero zenith and sincerely hope that they issue it without the quirky multicolored sub dials. I can’t figure why they haven’t issued a white/black version. It’d be a massive hit.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:20 AM   #74
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not a chrono guy but as of lately I've been lusting for one. White or Black Daytona for me it's the real deal but I don't comfortable as of now paying that price (investments and other business are my priority right now) so I was wondering, is the Black Bay chrono the next best thing to a Daytona? Obviously they're worlds apart but I'm refering to wearability, versatility and durability. I've fallen in love with Tudor and maybe this is my next move.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
As most of them have given good alternatives and none Breitling, I'll suggest you to take a look at this model. Looks great in flesh!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:22 AM   #75
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

The next best thing to a Daytona?

Having TWO Daytonas !!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:22 AM   #76
RTG

My choice would be the Zenith Defy 21 blue on rubber or bracelet. No picture does this watch justice as images can’t capture the layers of depth you see with your eye. The blue pops. Time display is crystal clear. When checking the time or using the chronograph it is not a busy display at all. When you want to stare at the marvelous movement however, it can entertain you for a long time.

Images stolen from the net:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0CCC54CB-E3A1-4BE3-8E87-2A2CFFD63CFC.jpeg (84.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpeg 65943ECA-3CC4-4C5B-9513-77C7FF77CD8D.jpeg (96.6 KB, 270 views)
Old 6 October 2021, 10:28 AM   #77
Case61

Another upvote for the Speedy. A great, iconic watch, and the best bang for the buck in the entire Watch Multiverse, IMO.

Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:34 AM   #78
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
My choice would be the Zenith Defy 21 blue on rubber or bracelet. No picture does this watch justice as images can’t capture the layers of depth you see with your eye. The blue pops. Time display is crystal clear. When checking the time or using the chronograph it is not a busy display at all. When you want to stare at the marvelous movement however, it can entertain you for a long time.

Too busy and makes me dizzy. Hey I rhyme.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:46 AM   #79
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
This is fascinating. Thank you.

I enjoy seeing the Chronomaster (vulgar name) and Daytona side by side. My three chronographs are APs and I want something a lot less finicky. Sadly, people in my hometown are being bashed for their Rolexes. So Zenith might be the sensible option--especially discounted on the grey market. On the other hand, this picture makes both watches look equally desirable.

It's a first world conundrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwalter80 View Post
I think there are a few things to think about with regards to your question. You say you are not a chronograph guy but are lusting after a Daytona. What specifically changed your mind to be interested in a Daytona? Three things come to mind for me:

1. Chronograph Functionality: Are you planning on using the timing capabilities of the chronograph? If so, there are several watches that would suit you (Speedmaster, Zenith Chronomaster Sport, Breitling Chronomat, IWC spitfire). Most have been mentioned in this thread already but you really have you choice of look and price point.

2. Looks: The watch that looks the closed to the Daytona is the Zenith Chronomaster Sport (maybe even better then the Rolex). For me, there are a pros and cons to this watch. I love the tri-colored sub dials and the exhibition case back, but the sub dials overlap slightly which can make the chrono tough to read. Also, the date window is just kind of awkwardly thrown on the dial and doesn't do anything for me. Also, I think this watch is slightly bigger then the Daytona at 42 mm.

3. Hype/Investment: As everyone knows, many people covet the Daytona from their AD because of the value getting one MSRP represents. If so, you probably don't need a Daytona....pretty much any Rolex Sub, GMT, SkyD, would do just fine....or of course and sport model from AP, PP.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:48 AM   #80
MasterBlaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Quote:

That's a real stunner
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:49 AM   #81
MasterBlaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Breitling Premier B01 with the panda color scheme on a black strap. Superior in every way to the Daytona IMHO.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:50 AM   #82
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post

Now I want this thing pretty bad lol. Thanks
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:09 AM   #83
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Too busy and makes me dizzy. Hey I rhyme.
That’s not the case in person.
Old 6 October 2021, 11:19 AM   #84
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I have the blue 2020 Tokyo Olympics Speedmaster but really want one of these white/Panda versions. Unfortunately they are trading at a $5000 premium over the other colors. The ceramic Daytona does nothing for me, even at MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I actually like this watch a lot. But I don't want anything to do with Tokyo 2020 so I have to hard pass on it. Otherwise a great watch.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:28 AM   #85
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
Zenith Chronomaster Sport

That white dial zenith is sweet!
Old 6 October 2021, 11:37 AM   #86
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Duplicate
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:39 AM   #87
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Ap roc
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:59 AM   #88
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Ap roc
Second this, love my panda ROC
supersam80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:35 PM   #89
jw72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex
If you buy the watch at MSRP and can never sell it? A, B or C. Why?
Me, (A) I choose Daytona. I had one, did not love it (white face) traded. Bought a 2nd one (black face) I like it a lot, not selling. Had a Speedy, flipped it quickly and never wanted a Zenith. All nice watches.
A.Rolex Daytona
B.Omega Speedy Professional
C.Zenith Chronomaster Sport
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:54 PM   #90
zoenatenich
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m a fan of this watch! Nice!
zoenatenich is offline   Reply With Quote