The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2008, 08:13 AM   #1
samkalter1@comcast.n
"TRF" Member

they are similar(GMTII non ceramic & Explorer II)

The movement(cal. 3185),crown,crystal,and much more are the same.Because the GMT has a rotating bezel there is an(unseen)"under- bezel"that contacts the crystal washer for seating,and there is some extra hardware:bezel tension spring and a clicking spring to help it rotate in a controlled fashion.The ExplorerII bezel fixes like most Rolex's-directly to the crystal's washer(seat)with strong friction.
samkalter1@comcast.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkalter1@comcast.n View Post
The movement(cal. 3185),crown,crystal,and much more are the same.Because the GMT has a rotating bezel there is an(unseen)"under- bezel"that contacts the crystal washer for seating,and there is some extra hardware:bezel tension spring and a clicking spring to help it rotate in a controlled fashion.The ExplorerII bezel fixes like most Rolex's-directly to the crystal's washer(seat)with strong friction.
Hi Sam,

Welcome to TRF! Is that pic of you? Are you a watchmaker?

Great first post.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 02:16 PM   #3
samkalter1@comcast.n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
Hi Sam,

Welcome to TRF! Is that pic of you? Are you a watchmaker?

Great first post.
Yes,I'm a third generation watchmaker in Philadelphia...and Rolex Service account-holder;'still can learn alot here.
samkalter1@comcast.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkalter1@comcast.n View Post
Yes,I'm a third generation watchmaker in Philadelphia...and Rolex Service account-holder;'still can learn alot here.
Welcome, Sam! I'm sure that you have a lot to teach us, also, as we all come here to learn.
Old 26 October 2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I'm just glad I have one myself.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 12:28 AM   #6
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
I picked up the EXP II as my first rolex over the submariner. I had the option of a GMT IIC also .. I went for the EXP II because of its sleekness and overall look. I'm loving every moment of it and never leaves my wrist.
Old 9 January 2010, 04:58 AM   #7
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresiarh View Post
I picked up the EXP II as my first rolex over the submariner. I had the option of a GMT IIC also .. I went for the EXP II because of its sleekness and overall look. I'm loving every moment of it and never leaves my wrist.
Great choice For me te Explorer II is also my first Rolex(and till date my only...) and it was always the one I wanted most from the Rolex sport models with the seadweller as a close second, the only hard choice was choosing between a black and a white dial.
Some rescent pics of mine:

Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2010, 10:44 AM   #8
SSSS
"TRF" Member

Glowing Dial

Nice picture of the glowing dial.

How long does the dial glow after the lights go out? Can you pick it up in the middle of the night and still expect to be able to see the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Great choice For me te Explorer II is also my first Rolex(and till date my only...) and it was always the one I wanted most from the Rolex sport models with the seadweller as a close second, the only hard choice was choosing between a black and a white dial.
Some rescent pics of mine:

SSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSS View Post
Nice picture of the glowing dial.

How long does the dial glow after the lights go out? Can you pick it up in the middle of the night and still expect to be able to see the time?
It's very hard to tell and stories about this are very mixed. It all depends on how long the Superluminova material is charged by sunlight or other light, sunlight or powerfull light giving the best results.

If worn all day in the sun it probably will work at midnight but it´s probably mutch easier to just turn a light on in most occasions;-).

Just google Superluminova and see all the different oppinions. All though I might ad that the stuff being used on the Rolexes do give pretty bright and reasonable results.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 01:11 PM   #10
R S
"TRF" Member

Ixnay on the owlay icepray on the ackblay acefay!!!!!
Old 23 March 2010, 05:44 AM   #11
tripleC
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II
my explorer II i picked up when I was 20 i love it ..

i polished the satin finish aIMG_0322.jpgway still my fav.
tripleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:28 AM   #12
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by veefour View Post
Are case and movement the same as in GMT?
The movements are different in Exp II and GMT II.

GMT II (before 2018) - 3186 movement
GMT II (after 2018) - 3285 movement
Current Exp II - 3187 movement

Cases are completely different. GMT II 40mm and Exp II 42mm
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 05:50 AM   #13
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
The reason I bought the Exp II was the fact that it was not instantly recognisable as a Rollie.
The white face, slightly different.
The Red 24 hr hand, functional.
The fixed bezel, practical.
All in all an awesonme watch, that for the last 2 odd years has been everything I hoped for.
Old 21 May 2008, 08:30 AM   #14
AGENT4734
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Club Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16570 View Post
The reason I bought the Exp II was the fact that it was not instantly recognisable as a Rollie.
The white face, slightly different.
The Red 24 hr hand, functional.
The fixed bezel, practical.
+1 I totally agree with everything you said. I also like the fact that it is uncommon; all my friends that have a Rolex have a Sub in their collection. I am the only one that has an Expy II. Sometimes it is nice to be different. And the white dial is CLEAN looking. Its a great substitue to a White dial S/S Daytona as far as having a white dial in your Rolex collection.
Rolex DJ TOG 116264
Rolex DJ Roman 126200
AGENT4734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 06:36 AM   #15
Hammer
"TRF" Member

Gutted that I got rid of mine

Oh well.Maybe I 'll have Her back one day.

Also agree that it doesn't scream "I'm a Rolex" which I liked.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 07:38 AM   #16
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Why did you get rid of it Hammer?
Old 21 May 2008, 09:27 PM   #17
Hammer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
Why did you get rid of it Hammer?
Hi David.

I brought a Sub ND, as a treat for my 40th, which is next Month.I felt I couldn't justify having two, so the Explorer went Now I wish I had it back.What's that old saying "You never miss your water, 'til the well is run dry" Never a truer word spoken.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 08:33 AM   #18
evy411nia
Banned

Watch: Sea-dwller
I love my Expy II not only for the looks but for the comfort. I will sometimes slip it on for a moment after taking off my SD that I've been wearing all day...just to feel the difference. Without a doubt the most comfortable of the sport models. I love the slope of the bezel and although I'm not a fan of the magnifier, It looks better IMO over a white dial.
evy411nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 06:02 AM   #19
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evy411nia View Post
I love my Expy II not only for the looks but for the comfort. I will sometimes slip it on for a moment after taking off my SD that I've been wearing all day...just to feel the difference. Without a doubt the most comfortable of the sport models. I love the slope of the bezel and although I'm not a fan of the magnifier, It looks better IMO over a white dial.
I love my Sea Dweller, but its a heavier watch no doubt, and I can see why an Exp II would be so valued. Two time zones, solid bezel, great functionality. I personally went with the GMT II in March 2007 for those reasons, but I considered the Exp II and I still think its one of those underappreciated Rolexes that is on the backburner until a remodelling comes along then suddenly there's a stampede to the AD to get the new larger-diameter, cermic-infused model......

C
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 06:25 AM   #20
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
I love my Sea Dweller, but its a heavier watch no doubt, and I can see why an Exp II would be so valued. Two time zones, solid bezel, great functionality. I personally went with the GMT II in March 2007 for those reasons, but I considered the Exp II and I still think its one of those underappreciated Rolexes that is on the backburner until a remodelling comes along then suddenly there's a stampede to the AD to get the new larger-diameter, cermic-infused model......

C
... followed 6-months later by a stampede to the AD to get the last of the 16570's!
Old 19 June 2008, 09:33 AM   #21
Lubrifar
Banned

Watch: for the signs!
Icon6 My Story

The Exp II (white dial) has always been on my "top" list of purchase in the Rolex Professional line-up. Ever since then, I was finally able to purchase one new in Feb 2008. It literally took me months to love this watch the way I do now; don't know why, but just did. There was even a period when I tried to sell it; lucky even for the low-ballers here to deter my decision.

Coming from Omega watches (Ti SMP 300m & Ti SMP 300m Chrono), the main issue that I could not get over with the Exp II was the hollow noisy SS bracelet. I mean, how can such a prestigious watch company have semi-acceptable bracelets? Well, after several water-related activities and recently seeing detail photos of an exposed permanent link, I began to understand why.

The Oyster bracelet is truly low maintenance if proper care is ensured. I have dug my hands elbow-deep into silty sand while clamming, submerged in ocean water, covered in fish slime, endured shocking vibrations, and everything else in between. At the end of the day, all I do is rinse it well with soapy warm water and most deposit built up in-between the links and inside the links will just come right off. To be more on a thorough level, I applied a soapy baby toothbrush once or twice a week. No worries.

The white-gold hands and indices covered by black paint and the red 24-hour hand definitely provides a perfect contrast on the arctic white dial. People have caught me staring at my watch as if I was seeking my future through a crystal ball.

As for the noisy bracelet / clasp, I’d got used to it by now; it’s a Rolex thing!

Lubrifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 09:40 AM   #22
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
GREAT STORY Mr. T!! I could not agree me, I love my Explorer for all the same reasons! It may still be an understated model, but the Explorer II was a definite winner in my book before I was even born!

Plus if you think about it, a majority of us here "explore" rather than do the other professions. Not many of us dive, fly planes, race cars, or are yachtsmen. However, were all Explorers in life!! Hence, the Explorer watches are the ultimate watches.

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 01:01 AM   #23
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubrifar View Post
The Oyster bracelet is truly low maintenance if proper care is ensured. I have dug my hands elbow-deep into silty sand while clamming, submerged in ocean water, covered in fish slime, endured shocking vibrations, and everything else in between. At the end of the day, all I do is rinse it well with soapy warm water and most deposit built up in-between the links and inside the links will just come right off. To be more on a thorough level, I applied a soapy baby toothbrush once or twice a week. No worries.
Glad you came back around on your Expy. And, if you go back the other way and try to sell again, we'll bury this post.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2008, 04:38 PM   #24
J. Martin Tensuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy411nia View Post
I second that, John.
J. Martin Tensuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2008, 04:41 PM   #25
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
ZOMG STICKY
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 09:26 AM   #26
Magik

Watch: Sub-Date & GMT ll
I think the Explorer II is a very handsome watch, but not quite on my list of other watches I want to get first. Although I already have the GMT, I may consider the Expy one day for it's cleaner look and profile.
Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 09:50 AM   #27
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I miss mine.

The most comfortable Rolex I have ever worn.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2010, 09:00 PM   #28
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I wore a two-toned Datejust for years and decided a few years back that I wanted a Rolex sport model. I decided the Explorer II white dial was the one for me. I have never looked back on the decision to get one! It is my only Rolex in a collection that includes 4 Omegas and several other brands. In short, it it my "keeper" Rolex and likely I will not get another model. Cheers, Bill P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC_0855 EXP II in mirror.jpg (74.9 KB, 927 views)
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2010, 08:26 AM   #29
ibramr
"TRF" Member

Could it be explained by different market segmentation?

I agree with the friends here that the market for Rolex Explorer II is softer when compared with the almost indetical GMT (among others). Is it possible that this observation is explained by the attraction of the Explorer II as a second, or third, Rolex watch rather than the first? The hypothesis is... Once an entrant to the Rolex realm is attracted to the icons like the Sub and the GMT, expanding the collection would then find the Explorer II as a natural option. However, with second options, multi-watch owners may exhibit several series of bying and selling, different price senstivity levels, different income senstitivy levels..all leading to softer markets. Rolex Explorer II (lovely as it is) seems to serve a sub-market in Rolex, and this market is "those who have more than one Rolex watch".

Albeit to a lesser degree, the same could be saind about 14060 (although the date vs. no date argument comes strongly here as a fator). Any how, just a thought.
ibramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2010, 12:23 AM   #30
SSSS
"TRF" Member

This is the case for me. Considering the Explorer II as a second watch to the dressier Datejust and Sintra for casual/weekend use and traveling thanks to the dual timezone feature.

How does this watch work for narrower wrists, say 6.25. Anyone been able to pull it off successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibramr View Post
I agree with the friends here that the market for Rolex Explorer II is softer when compared with the almost indetical GMT (among others). Is it possible that this observation is explained by the attraction of the Explorer II as a second, or third, Rolex watch rather than the first? The hypothesis is... Once an entrant to the Rolex realm is attracted to the icons like the Sub and the GMT, expanding the collection would then find the Explorer II as a natural option. However, with second options, multi-watch owners may exhibit several series of bying and selling, different price senstivity levels, different income senstitivy levels..all leading to softer markets. Rolex Explorer II (lovely as it is) seems to serve a sub-market in Rolex, and this market is "those who have more than one Rolex watch".

Albeit to a lesser degree, the same could be saind about 14060 (although the date vs. no date argument comes strongly here as a fator). Any how, just a thought.

Last edited by SSSS; 28 June 2010 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: correction
SSSS is offline   Reply With Quote