The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2017, 03:28 AM   #61
MGWT
Banned

Watch: Submariner
MGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 03:43 AM   #62
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWT View Post
sweet!

Looks like it wears well on your wrist. Bracelet looks slightly loose. Guess it's hard to get a *perfect* fit with it... As you said, prob more comfy w/ leather strap. Only drawback w strap I would guess, is taking it into water.

Thanks for posting
ExpSubGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 03:48 AM   #63
MGWT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpSubGMT View Post
sweet!

Looks like it wears well on your wrist. Bracelet looks slightly loose. Guess it's hard to get a *perfect* fit with it... As you said, prob more comfy w/ leather strap. Only drawback w strap I would guess, is taking it into water.

Thanks for posting
I keep trying to post a comparison with a few Omegas without success. But you are correct. The bracelet is too loose. I could likely remove one more link but the strap just wears better. My wrist is flatter and compared to the Explorer The NF feels slightly smaller. That said I need to buy an Explorer so I'm a fan of all of these watches including the ranger.

7 inch wrist.
Old 14 August 2017, 04:29 AM   #64
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
I keep trying to post a comparison with a few Omegas without success. But you are correct. The bracelet is too loose. I could likely remove one more link but the strap just wears better. My wrist is flatter and compared to the Explorer The NF feels slightly smaller. That said I need to buy an Explorer so I'm a fan of all of these watches including the ranger.

7 inch wrist.
So, just for the record; With the leather strap, you get a nice snug fit? It fits like a NATO or does it do micro adjustment, essentially?

And yeah, for bracelet wear, the 214270 wins. You get the easy link extension and can get a snug fit. Once you have a Rolex oyster bracelet, esp newer ones, every other bracelet will seem cheap.
Old 14 August 2017, 04:59 AM   #65
MGWT
Banned

Quote:
So, just for the record; With the leather strap, you get a nice snug fit? It fits like a NATO or does it do micro adjustment, essentially?

And yeah, for bracelet wear, the 214270 wins. You get the easy link extension and can get a snug fit. Once you have a Rolex oyster bracelet, esp newer ones, every other bracelet will seem cheap.
Yes very snug with the strap. It has a deployant and can be as tight as you need it. This isn't a bad bracelet but micro adjustments just doesn't exist I'd have to remove a link to make it fit better but just prefer the strap mostly.
Old 14 August 2017, 05:13 AM   #66
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Yes very snug with the strap. It has a deployant and can be as tight as you need it. This isn't a bad bracelet but micro adjustments just doesn't exist I'd have to remove a link to make it fit better but just prefer the strap mostly.
Nice. Yeah, when I tried the NF on, both with bracelet and with strap, the strap is what felt & looked best.

Honestly though, after 214270 bracelet and my SKX jubilee (stock), every other bracelet feels like a letdown.

Usually I would always buy a watch on bracelet, even if I were going to wear it on an aftermarket strap, but in the case of the NF... I may go with just strap.

Again, downside is if I wanna wear it in ocean/pools - COULD be done, no doubt, but I guess leather would take a beating.

But... maybe I should just say, 'who cares?'

Leather gets worn in and beat up... so what? It's a tool watch. let it get beat up.

Thanks for your info, MGWT. You're awesome. I'd like to buy you a beer or two
Old 14 August 2017, 10:39 AM   #67
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
While you can't adjust the bracelet on the fly like the Explorer's EasyLink, there are three possible spring bar placements in the NF clasp.
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 11:02 AM   #68
Friar
"TRF" Member

Yes the Ranger is 1mm wider than the NF but interestingly, the lug to lug size of the Ranger is 48mm and the NF is 50mm. The lugs are shaped differently of course. (I measured my watches with a digital caliper.)
Old 14 August 2017, 11:42 AM   #69
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I owned a NF. It was nice, but in the end, the color scheme and the angles bothered me a bit. Also the fact that I couldn't play with the bracelet and put a NATO or rubber strap on it was the ultimate deciding factor for me. Flipped it towards a modern Black dial Explorer II from a trusted seller and haven't looked back. I really love the EXii. Got a rubberb for it as well as some NATOs and I'm in heaven. The first pic is from tonight. The other is from last weekend when I was doing some "exploring".

Second time zone, date, brushed finishes, and the ability to change straps makes this the ultimate tool watch for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 11:48 AM   #70
MGWT
Banned

Quote:
Nice. Yeah, when I tried the NF on, both with bracelet and with strap, the strap is what felt & looked best.

Honestly though, after 214270 bracelet and my SKX jubilee (stock), every other bracelet feels like a letdown.

Usually I would always buy a watch on bracelet, even if I were going to wear it on an aftermarket strap, but in the case of the NF... I may go with just strap.

Again, downside is if I wanna wear it in ocean/pools - COULD be done, no doubt, but I guess leather would take a beating.

But... maybe I should just say, 'who cares?'

Leather gets worn in and beat up... so what? It's a tool watch. let it get beat up.

Thanks for your info, MGWT. You're awesome. I'd like to buy you a beer or two
Cool man! Thanks! Also some have been using the Pelagos rubber strap with the NF and I agree any bracelet compared to the Explorer has some hard competition.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:03 PM   #71
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
114270 or 214270 will work equally well. Simply a matter of cost and preference. Don't drive any nails with either one, they ain't that much of a tool.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 12:06 PM   #72
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
I owned a NF. It was nice, but in the end, the color scheme and the angles bothered me a bit. Also the fact that I couldn't play with the bracelet and put a NATO or rubber strap on it was the ultimate deciding factor for me. Flipped it towards a modern Black dial Explorer II from a trusted seller and haven't looked back. I really love the EXii. Got a rubberb for it as well as some NATOs and I'm in heaven. The first pic is from tonight. The other is from last weekend when I was doing some "exploring".

Second time zone, date, brushed finishes, and the ability to change straps makes this the ultimate tool watch for me.

LOVE the Explorer II, esp black dial...

Tried it on, seemed too big for my just-over 7" wrist... Though thinking I need to go back to AD and try it on again. Maybe it'd look different.

It's the watch I really WANT to work on my wrist, but I feel the same way about the Ranger, and sometimes, watches are just too big...

Great pics
Old 14 August 2017, 12:09 PM   #73
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar View Post
Yes the Ranger is 1mm wider than the NF but interestingly, the lug to lug size of the Ranger is 48mm and the NF is 50mm. The lugs are shaped differently of course. (I measured my watches with a digital caliper.)
That's interesting. Online, all info on the NF says lug to lug is 48mm.

Mind you, I believe you - it's just interesting that Tudor would lie about that.

Nonetheless, on my wrist, the Ranger (on bracelet) wears bigger than the NF.

Friar - you said if forced to give up one watch of the four it'd be the Explorer.

What's the one watch you'd keep if forced to pair it down to ONE?
Old 14 August 2017, 12:12 PM   #74
50hz
"TRF" Member

What about a 40mm ExpII? The current ones are 42mm no? Surely you could get a used one for a good deal.
50hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 12:18 PM   #75
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:

Tried it on, seemed too big for my just-over 7" wrist... Though thinking I need to go back to AD and try it on again. Maybe it'd look different.

It's the watch I really WANT to work on my wrist, but I feel the same way about the Ranger, and sometimes, watches are just too big...

Great pics
If it helps, I'm at 7.10". Fits like a dream. Do it!
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 12:20 PM   #76
MGWT
Banned

I did not like the size of the 216750 but love the 16750. Just my op.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:37 PM   #77
kamonjj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Great pics

I have a 6.5 in or a hair smaller. I feel it works well once you have it on your wrist for a few days

Gone but not forgotten: Way too many to remember!
kamonjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 12:45 PM   #78
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50hz View Post
What about a 40mm ExpII? The current ones are 42mm no? Surely you could get a used one for a good deal.
Tried the 40mm version, black dial (not a fan of the Archie Luxury Polar).

I liked it, but I think it's b/c I like the original 70's Explorer II so much w/ the orange hand... I just like the colors of the 216570 better, though it would have to be black dial.

The 40mm just didn't grab me. But thanks for the idea
Old 14 August 2017, 12:46 PM   #79
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
If it helps, I'm at 7.10". Fits like a dream. Do it!
I'm gonna try it on again, most definitely.

BTW - Love that you're in SF and watching The Giants baseball w/ that watch - Team Colors! Sick...

Last edited by ExpSubGMT; 14 August 2017 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: had to
Old 14 August 2017, 12:47 PM   #80
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamonjj View Post
I have a 6.5 in or a hair smaller. I feel it works well once you have it on your wrist for a few days

Gotta admit, it does work on your wrist. Great pic, great watch.

Wear it in good health and thanks
Old 14 August 2017, 12:48 PM   #81
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
I think the Explorer as a daily because it's a neutral colour

Only North flag if you wear yellow every day
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 12:50 PM   #82
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The GM of my local AD wears a NorthFlag and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 12:53 PM   #83
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post
I think the Explorer as a daily because it's a neutral colour

Only North flag if you wear yellow every day
Hahaha - yellow everyday

True, Explorer is a better everyday watch. No arguments there. Truly THE go anywhere, do anything watch.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:55 PM   #84
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
The GM of my local AD wears a NorthFlag and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's a great watch. I want one, no question.

Funny how this thread started as a 214270 vs North Flag and now the Explorer II 216570 is in the mix...
Old 14 August 2017, 12:56 PM   #85
Friar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's interesting. Online, all info on the NF says lug to lug is 48mm.

Mind you, I believe you - it's just interesting that Tudor would lie about that.

Nonetheless, on my wrist, the Ranger (on bracelet) wears bigger than the NF.

Friar - you said if forced to give up one watch of the four it'd be the Explorer.

What's the one watch you'd keep if forced to pair it down to ONE?
Polar Explorer II--highly readable, EasyLink bracelet, GMT complication with the ability to change local time without stopping the movement, stunning white dial face with blue lume.
Old 14 August 2017, 01:00 PM   #86
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar View Post
Polar Explorer II--highly readable, EasyLink bracelet, GMT complication with the ability to change local time without stopping the movement, stunning white dial face with blue lume.
Of course!

See, the 216570 is now high up in the running...

Does tick a lot of boxes. Could be THE tool watch from Rolex.

Thanks Friar.
Old 14 August 2017, 07:01 PM   #87
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
The 214270 is, and always has been, my favourite watch. After the NF was released, I was keen to try one on but I didn't expect to like it, particularly. How wrong I was! It is thick, certainly, but fits ever so well (on my 6.75" wrist) and is pleasingly (relatively) unique in terms of design so I'm very happy to have one in my collection. Out of the two, though, I default to the Explorer much more often - it's perfect for every occasion, but the NF less so. In fact, if money was no object I'd find it hard to resist buying a 2nd gen' 214270. As for the Ranger, I liked it... but just found myself wearing less and less to the point of it never being worn. That got traded in for my GMT (cough)
Old 14 August 2017, 07:30 PM   #88
gav329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The polished bezel, The White Gold 3 6 9 (MK 1 version), the reflection of light off of the sapphire crystal...

I don't think Explorers are as blingy as say, ceramic GMT's, but an Explorer has more "shine" than the North Flag.

I have a exp2 polar and the bezel isn't polished only the tiny shoulder is. I'm not blingy I absolutely hate the thought of bling and I bought the watch. It's your opinion that matters not anyone else's. Good luck.

gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:21 PM   #89
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Quote:
Interesting experience... I've been there, walking into the AD thinking it was gonna be that one watch, then it sat on my wrist and it was "meh"

I really WANTED to love the Ranger, but it's just too big. The North Flag was a surprise - didn't jump out at me online, but on my wrist I really liked it. Especially with the leather band (they had both, bracelet and leather).

Interesting you went with the AK as it prob sits as high as the NF and maybe even wears bigger even though they are both 40mm

Curious about the 1016 - do you baby it b/c it's fragile? Have you ever had it serviced? Could it go in the water? Would you consider having it serviced so it can go in the water and live like a tool watch?

Or is some of it that you're bored with it? Is the 36mm too small for you at times?
My 1016 is fully serviced, and was pressure tested at the beginning of the summer, and is ready for what life throws, so I probably used the expression 'retired' wrongly, I just don't have it on my wrist every day now, I have a 116264 TOG, and 116900 AK for that. The 1016 was worn most days from 1981 to February this year when I bought the TOG, I just fancied a change, and then I got the AK, and hopefully next year I will add a OP and my collection will be complete.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:56 PM   #90
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.earth View Post
The 214270 is, and always has been, my favourite watch. After the NF was released, I was keen to try one on but I didn't expect to like it, particularly. How wrong I was! It is thick, certainly, but fits ever so well (on my 6.75" wrist) and is pleasingly (relatively) unique in terms of design so I'm very happy to have one in my collection. Out of the two, though, I default to the Explorer much more often - it's perfect for every occasion, but the NF less so. In fact, if money was no object I'd find it hard to resist buying a 2nd gen' 214270. As for the Ranger, I liked it... but just found myself wearing less and less to the point of it never being worn. That got traded in for my GMT (cough)
Thanks. Only makes me want the NF even more, just to have, even if only for the days where I don't want to wear the 214270, even though it seems destined to be my every day watch...

You traded the Ranger, so I get your taste. I dig the GMT too (cough).