The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2019, 12:54 PM   #61
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
This may be a dumb question, but don't greys get their supply from ADs anyway? So theoretically shouldn't all grey sold watches come with warranty already activated as that's a part of the AD sales process?

What are some circumstances where greys get watches which aren't sold via ADs?
Yes. Buy a Rolex from someone like DavidSW and your Rolex WILL have a valid factory warranty. All Rolex watches are sold from a AD before David gets them. The warranty is activated the minute the watch was sold at the AD before David gets them or buys them from the original owner. The warranty card will have the AD’s info on them. The actual name on the warranty card means nothing and doesn’t have to be your name. As long as there is ANY name on the card, with the AD’s info, it is valid.
It’s always been this way from all our trusted sellers. If you modify the warranty card, then it is void. The Rolex warranty policy is not complicated.

Let’s recap this:
1. Any name on warranty card. (written in pen)
2. Authorized Dealer info on warranty card with date of purchase. (usually the AD info is stamped. The date is written in pen)
3. You have a valid Rolex warranty.

The OP failed #1 on the requirements. He should have filled in his name on the card as only the watch is recorded in the warranty when registered and NOT the name on the card.

When buying a Rolex from a AD or Trusted seller, make sure the warranty card is filled out correctly before purchasing. AD’s can make mistakes when filling out warranty cards.

There is nothing scary about buying through a trusted seller at all. It’s no different than buying a 2019 Porsche GT3 from a exotic car broker that purchased it from the dealer. The Porsche warranty follows when the car was purchased new from the dealer.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:06 PM   #62
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
The warranty card being incompletely filled out means ADs are knowingly funneling watches to grey dealers.

It's not one of those "oops, I didn't realize they were going to flip the watch" scenarios.
That's a bingo!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:10 PM   #63
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
I’ve owned 4 Rolexes dating back to when SS models except for the Daytona could be had from gray dealers for significantly under MSRP. As enticing as it was, I chose to pay MSRP plus sales tax for the peace of mind that I would never have to go through what the OP is going through. These watches are a in reach but are an expensive purchase (for me at least and for many others I’m sure) so that reassurance was well worth the extra cost.

Hopefully this serves as good information for folks down the road when deciding how to purchase as gray dealers specify “as is” for a reason and although the gray dealer OP purchased from is going to make it right, I’d be surprised if that is the case for everyone.
We're clearly on the same page as far as buying practices, and the reason we do it that way.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:13 PM   #64
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
That's a bingo!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yes or the AD’s sell to a assigned buyer within the grey dealers network. That name on the warranty card has this assigned buyers name. Totally legal/valid way of transferring a new Rolex with warranty to a grey dealer.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:23 PM   #65
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
I’ve been told that if the watch warranty isn’t registered at time of purchase it’s void.
Yup true. My AD said he has to scan the card to Rolex with my name to validate the warranty.
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:30 PM   #66
extra260
"TRF" Member

I sent my DJ 41 into Dallas last month to be regulated. It was running slow. My name is different that what’s on the card and I purchased it from DavidSW. Zero issue, RSC did a full service at no charge and shipped back to me via FedEx over night at no charge 4 weeks later. When I called to get mailing instructions I asked if there would be a problem since my name didn’t match the card and the lady said not to worry , warranty follows the watch.
extra260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:32 PM   #67
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Let’s recap this:
1. Any name on warranty card. (written in pen)
2. Authorized Dealer info on warranty card with date of purchase. (usually the AD info is stamped. The date is written in pen)
3. You have a valid Rolex warranty.

The OP failed #1 on the requirements. He should have filled in his name on the card as only the watch is recorded in the warranty when registered and NOT the name on the card.

When buying a Rolex from a AD or Trusted seller, make sure the warranty card is filled out correctly before purchasing. AD’s can make mistakes when filling out warranty cards.
This seems correct to me. I don’t know why people look at the Rolex warranty and draw the conclusion that buying a used watch will void the warranty. Any used watch was purchased at an AD at some point, at which time the warranty is activated. The AD fills in the card (unfortunately the OPs AD missed this part) which is then sold with the watch. Per Rolex warranty the above should be enough to get warranty service.

There may be some stipulation that Rolex can deny warranty for any reason and they may have decided that one of those reasons is that the customer says the watch was purchased on the grey market, but I haven’t really seen anything that shows this is the policy.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:01 PM   #68
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Solution - Fill the card out and resend to NYC RSC for repair presuming the watch actually has an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:06 PM   #69
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
FWIW i sent in a SubC purchased from a prominent online gray. One of the questions on the form was “where was it purchased?”...i worried leaving it blank would cause it to be rejected, so thinking nothing of it I listed the name of the trusted seller. No problems and it was serviced without question. This was the Dallas RSC last year
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:24 PM   #70
clb521
"TRF" Member

I think their biggest problem was I told them it was a grey market purchase. I could have filled in my name on the card and it probably would have been fine.

I would rather they tell me they would not honor the warranty before I sent it vs. after they had it and I would have been forced to pay there fees and all the shipping cost.

The grey dealer agreed to honor the repair so that is all I care about.

In the end, I don't care who would fix the watch, just that it gets fixed.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:37 PM   #71
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
It all seems a bit arbitrary. I think Rolex needs to be consistent regarding how it deals with gray market watches.
To the OP, chances are that your watch is fine, just wind it up properly and wear it. As long as you have a reasonable level of activity/arm movement your watch should keep running.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:40 PM   #72
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb521 View Post
I think their biggest problem was I told them it was a grey market purchase. I could have filled in my name on the card and it probably would have been fine.
Nope. You think all they do is look at your warranty card? The card needs to be swiped and should be in their record. Once they swipe that card, it should match the owner of watch and name on warranty card. That's why it worked for many years when you send valid card with someone's name. All they checked was the card name and owner name in their database.

Now if you fill your name - it will not match and mostly not even show up in the warranty database. So, its a no go!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:09 PM   #73
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You should care. You’ve already been burned for not verifying the warranty, and as a result, probably overpaid for the watch that’s not under a warranty.

You don’t want to add injury to insult by having someone make substandard repairs. Ask yourself: do you really trust the seller to fix it, or are you only using him because it’s free?
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:11 PM   #74
MARGARITATIME
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lv, 116710BL
OP - wind that puppy up. You can't hurt it. The clutch will slip if main spring is full. I bet you have barely enough reserve. You are taking a larger chance of breaking the crown opening it for 5-10 winds at a time.
As for the warranty, imho which means nothing I feel Rolex should cover it. They have the right to deny coverage since they clearly state the rules. What they are doing is not showing good customer service on an extremely expensive item. They should be happy people are still buying mechanical watches. Rolex is Rolex and can do whatever they want and people still want them so customers have zero leverage. The date is needed though since a watch could sit for years before being sold. At a min though the date of manafactuing should always be used for 5yrs with no BS IMHO.
MARGARITATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:21 PM   #75
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
If you buy it from the grey dealer on the forum,why do you take it to an AD to sort out the problem ?

They grey dealer should sort it out for you ,especially since they sell at a premium.Cant just take the easy money !!.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:24 PM   #76
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
OK to be clear, I had given the watch about 10 turns the night before when going to bed. When I picked it up in the morning it was still running. I gave it another 5 before putting it on. about 15 min later it stopped. I gave it a shake and it stopped 2 more times within an hour.

Also it had stopped before earlier this week and last week when I thought it had enough power reserve.

I am going to keep an eye on it and see if the problem persists. I think it was just a little low on power.

On another note, has anyone noticed differences in effort it take when winding the crown? I have noticed the sometimes the crown winds very easily and other times it take more effort to turn the crown. I always thought that might be an indicator of how much tension is on the main spring.

In the end, I think it was a fluke but I was curious what RSC would say if I asked them about a warranty service.

If you are feeling a difference in how easy/hard to wind. You might not have the crown open to the right position.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:26 PM   #77
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
To be honest if we are spending 4 to 6 figures on a watch, I dont care if I have to spend 800 to 1500 for a service. I have never needed to send a Rolex to warranty. I also have never serviced one.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:29 PM   #78
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
You should care. You’ve already been burned for not verifying the warranty, and as a result, probably overpaid for the watch that’s not under a warranty.

You don’t want to add injury to insult by having someone make substandard repairs. Ask yourself: do you really trust the seller to fix it, or are you only using him because it’s free?
Your right, I should care. But if the dealer I bought it from is honoring the warranty vs Rolex, then what choice would I have?

Now like I said before, I didn't overpay for it. In fact I probably saved a few hundred dollars from retail price plus tax vs waiting for an AD to never calling me.

Now also, a submariner is hardly a watch with such a movement which can only be touched by the hands of RSC. This is a common movement and alot of watch repair shop can get authentic parts if needed.

I think the watch is fine but if I need to send it for repair I don't think I would worry too much about sub par service work.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:30 PM   #79
007timer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I like #1....Technically, hasn't every Rolex been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer? A gray must have bought it from an AD. It doesn't specify initial sale, or subsequent sales.

Exactly my thought. The watch had to be sold by an AD at some point in time (excluding units sold outside of the US and brought over, in true “GRAY” terms) we refer to resellers as gray market but they are quiet different.

With that said, I believe that the warranty was purely rejected based on the incomplete warranty card and not the fact that it was bought “second hand” from an individual.

It’s something to take into consideration when buying a piece. Imagine if this was a BLRO that someone paid double MSRP and then get this news on warranty.

Old 13 December 2019, 03:32 PM   #80
007timer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Rolex wants you to purchase their watches a certain way. They are offering a 5 year warranty, but only if you purchase the watch the way they want. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Of course dealers who are not Official Rolex Dealers can sell the watches and in that case they will have to offer a warranty according to the laws of the country the watch is sold in. Many dealers do this and have Rolex trained watchmakers who do the work. The watch will simply not be repaired by a RSC.

I expect that the dealer who sold the watch is legally responsible for the warranty so the OP should simply contact him in order to have the watch repaired. Failing that he could try returning it for a refund, if that is an accordance with local laws.

No local law will apply to this. The watch was sold with the card and the buyer knew what was on it. It’s part of their due diligence.

Old 13 December 2019, 03:40 PM   #81
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
If you buy it from the grey dealer on the forum,why do you take it to an AD to sort out the problem ?

They grey dealer should sort it out for you ,especially since they sell at a premium.Cant just take the easy money !!.
Because the AD told me they would ship it to and from RSC for free even when I told them I didnt buy it from them and it was a grey market purchase. They filled out the repair form and had it in the envelope but I wanted reassurance it would be covered by RSC. They called them while I was there and were told no. It was frustrating because I called RSC twice to ask and they said it was fine, the warranty goes with watch not person and also said it only have year of purchase on card. So yeah, I called twice an was told it was fine and the AD was told not by RSC and then once I emailed them a picture of the card they said they wouldn't honor the warranty.

I'm glad I was told this before mailing it or having the AD mail it and then have them tell me this after they've had it for 4-6 weeks and saying its a full service cost.

I could have rolled the dice and completed the card and just played dumb but didn't want to take that chance.

Now that I know this, I have other watches purchased thru grey market which I should check and complete the warranty card.

I rotate thru my watches enough that I doubt I will ever need a warranty service unless one of them completely craps out on me.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:45 PM   #82
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007timer View Post
No local law will apply to this. The watch was sold with the card and the buyer knew what was on it. It’s part of their due diligence.

I have bought and sold enough watches that I knew the risks involved. It was the first time I ever called RSC so if anything this was a first hand lesson on what to expect from them.

I would not ask the grey for a refund. The watch has been a been worn alot over the year and I think the issue was purely a fluke and no internal issues (cross fingers)
Old 13 December 2019, 03:46 PM   #83
007timer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have bought and sold enough watches that I knew the risks involved. It was the first time I ever called RSC so if anything this was a first hand lesson on what to expect from them.

I would not ask the grey for a refund. The watch has been a been worn alot over the year and I think the issue was purely a fluke and no internal issues (cross fingers)

Best of luck on the watch. I believe that’s it hasn’t been fully wound. But if the seller is offering to have it serviced on their dime, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 13 December 2019, 03:52 PM   #84
mml4
"TRF" Member

I've been told that the important part of warranty validation is whether or not the card was swiped at the AD at the point of sale.I was also told that the hand written information is not recorded by Rolex but only the electronically transmitted information.
That being said- If a Rolex bought from a grey dealer in the US was sourced from an AD in Europe and the card was swiped at the point of sale in Europe will RSC outlets in the US honor the warranty?
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 06:02 PM   #85
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
ADs supplying Grey's most likely wont swipe the card ...

Better then to buy a Flipper supplied sportie ,compared to a AD supplied sportie ..thats if you want to buy grey .

Bought a few in 2019,black SkyD,Sub/Date,Black Daytona etc .In all cases the card was swiped .Not on the day of collecting but on the day of purchase.Thats the date on the card .In not all cases was my name written on the card .Unimportant.The swipe registration in your name is important .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 08:59 PM   #86
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
So I have a 116610LN Sub which has been randomly stopping when I know it has a power reserve. It takes a slight to moderate shake of the watch for it to start running again. I made a call to RSC in Dallas and inquired about sending it in for service under warranty. The watch was bought thru the grey market here on the forum about a year ago in 2018. The warranty card only has the year it was purchased and not the date and it also has no name on it.

The 1st two times I called they told me the warranty follows the watch and not the person so it should be fine in honoring the warranty. I called my local AD and they said they would ship it free of charge both ways. When I got there and showed them the warranty card and they called RSC, they were told they wouldn't service the watch under warranty.

I immediately called and asked after I left and spoke to someone who said it shouldn't be a problem to have it serviced but asked to see a picture of the card and they would confirm.

I also called the grey dealer I bought the watch from and he said he had never heard of a problem getting warranty work done on partially completed warranty cards.

Today they responded and said the warranty is void for BOTH being sold on the grey market AND having an incomplete filled out card.

I know this is the risk we take when buying from grey vs from an AD. I have heard different stories here on the forum about this but I thought I would let you know what I was told.

I am hoping my problem is just a fluke and the watch just didnt have enough power reserve even though I had given it a partial wind (5-10 turns) and within an hour it stopped until I shook it alittle. Right now I'm watching it closer and hoping it doesnt keep happening.

Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know as a word of caution. I know similar stories have been told before.
Your watch needs at least 40 full crown turns clockwise only as they only wind on the forward wind to fully wind the mainspring.And wearing does not wind the watch it's wrist movement that winds the watch when worn for around 8 hours with reasonable wrist activity IMHO I doubt if there is anything wrong with your watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 09:12 PM   #87
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would rather they tell me they would not honor the warranty before I sent it vs. after they had it and I would have been forced to pay there fees and all the shipping cost.

The grey dealer agreed to honor the repair so that is all I care about.

Aren't you at least gong to try winding your watch?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 13 December 2019, 10:40 PM   #88
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I think the title of this post is misleading.

1) the RSC will likely service this watch for a charge (not under warranty)
2) you don't own a warranty when you buy from the gray market even if the card is filled out
3) the only way that the warranty is activated is if the watch is bought through an authorized retailer AND they swipe the card through one of their card readers.

In all other cases, get your credit card ready. They will fix your watch and they will bill you for the service.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 10:50 PM   #89
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmelloy View Post
If a vehicle warranty is transferable no matter Ford or Ferrari, then a Rolex warranty (the king of watches) should be transferable. Sure there’s $100 watches, but when ur paying 10k or more for a watch that shit should be covered!

I agree with you and we all know the warranty is transferable. It doesn’t matter whose name is on the card so long as there is one along with a complete date. As far as car companies go though, it is the exact same. The warranty follows the vehicle not the owner, however if you read the warranty terms, there are a laundry list of things that can invalidate the warranty with little to no recourse by the consumer if it happens. Every company has terms like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 11:00 PM   #90
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
I agree with you and we all know the warranty is transferable. It doesn’t matter whose name is on the card so long as there is one along with a complete date. As far as car companies go though, it is the exact same. The warranty follows the vehicle not the owner, however if you read the warranty terms, there are a laundry list of things that can invalidate the warranty with little to no recourse by the consumer if it happens. Every company has terms like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Correct. All you need to do is read the specific terms of the warranty to determine if it is valid, or not. No need to rely on opinion or speculation.