The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2009, 12:01 AM   #61
alant
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Buy them! You only live once! (I think...)
alant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 12:18 AM   #62
walds11
"TRF" Member

Um, this is an easy one. You already answered your question. Any doubts, then don't do it. Maybe buy one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylawbiz View Post
Thanks - nice sentiments. I'm not a rich guy, but I do have some money in the bank. $20G is not going to change much in my life, unless I feel guilty about it. I mean, it is hard to make money right now. I'm happy that I am able to pay my bills. But it's not like I socking money away these days. So I find it a bit hard to even consider to indulge like this.

Thanks again.
Old 23 March 2009, 01:33 AM   #63
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:
Anyway, I am still betwixt and between decisions. I guess the real question is, how rare of an opportunity is this, and what is the likelihood that another opportunity such as this will happen again? $20-$25K is a lot of money for a few ounces of steel!
In the past, it would have been rare but not these days. I got a call about a GV a few weeks ago, I tried on a DSSD Friday night and I was told that I could get a SS Daytona if I pay up front. This was from two different ADs and I've only purchased from one of them. So as long as the economy is bad, you will be able to find these pieces.

So with that said, if you want and can afford to purchase all three...I would push for at least a 18% discount. That will give you 10% and 8% to cover the tax. That's the average discount I get since I am able to ship out of state to avoid paying the sales tax.

As for flipping them, you will take a hit on any of the watches because of the economy. If you look at the For Sale section, most of them are not moving even at great prices. So don't buy with plans to flip for at least the next few years.

Buy them if you really want them. You shouldn't feel guilty if you happen be in a better financial shape than others.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 01:56 AM   #64
tommypit

Watch: 2005 TT Sub Black
Quote:
Would you do it?
I would tell him 25% off, and you will pay cash. he wont turn down the chance to sell 3 rolex in one shot.

If not you could just buy the daytona. After all ....now you will have 4.
tommypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 02:00 AM   #65
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
Think I should forward him this thread to him by e-mail, and see what he says?
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 02:04 AM   #66
nylawbiz

Gee, at 25% off, the three would be almost an even $20K (plus tax). I love round numbers :)
Old 23 March 2009, 02:10 AM   #67
biggums
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 2c Sub Blue
Since he said "SS Daytona in the back which I could have" I'd pay full retail for the other two:)
biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 02:13 AM   #68
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
you sir are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggums View Post
Since he said "SS Daytona in the back which I could have" I'd pay full retail for the other two:)
a smokin that stuff again right, cause at last count we had him goin for 35 PERCENT FOR ALL THREE !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 02:57 AM   #69
ASH
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 233
I bought the same three watches. No discount and it took over three months to get all three, however cash talks. Your AD probably has more room to move on the GV and the DSSD than the Daytona.
Old 23 March 2009, 04:55 AM   #70
ymdave

Watch: Yachtmaster
Icon14

lifes too short-go for it!
ymdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 05:17 AM   #71
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymdave View Post
lifes too short-go for it!
Thats the spirit!
Old 23 March 2009, 05:35 AM   #72
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

30% off? You guys are dreaming. FWIW, you don't need to "bring actual cash." Just send a wire.

Ship the watches out of state and avoid the sales tax. That's 8% or whatever saved already.

Seems like you don't want these watches anyway - I'd pass.
Old 23 March 2009, 05:52 AM   #73
Ning Dynasty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT-II
The three watches at once sounds awesome. But...I'd think that the "thrill" you get out of buying them will wear off super quick. Think of the joy you'd get of buy three individually? I'm not in a position to buy 3 Rolex's at once...but if I were I still think I'd only get one at a time. If you're going to spend that kind of coin, why not get the Blue WG SUB?
Ning Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 05:55 AM   #74
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
30% off? You guys are dreaming. FWIW, you don't need to "bring actual cash." Just send a wire.

Ship the watches out of state and avoid the sales tax. That's 8% or whatever saved already.

x2
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 05:57 AM   #75
londonbagpuss

I would get the daytona for sure and then get 1 of the other 2, not all of them unless you have truly been after each one for a while.
londonbagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 05:57 AM   #76
londonbagpuss

I cannot believe how lucky you are in the USA to be given these choices!! I ned to get myself to NYC!
londonbagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 05:58 AM   #77
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post

Oh I do want these watches, of course I do! Shipping out of state is really not legit, we have discussed that before on here and I am not sure the AD would do it anyway.

I guess my thought is to buy the watches "right" so the cost of ownership is mimimized. Of course, no matter what, there will be the expense of insuring them and servicing them.
Old 23 March 2009, 05:59 AM   #78
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbagpuss View Post
I cannot believe how lucky you are in the USA to be given these choices!! I ned to get myself to NYC!
Actually upstate NY :)
Old 23 March 2009, 06:02 AM   #79
onkyo
Banned

Hi Brian,

I was in the store on Friday and saw the green Milaguss and DSSD. I did not see the manager only a saleswoman and I did not ask if there was anything in the back (though I did contemplate it). Those pieces have been sitting for a little while so he really wants to unload them.

If I was in your position, I would ask for 20% off minimum for the three and 25% if cash. Unfortunately you are going to get hit with sales tax unless maybe they can ship out of state. Otherwise 8% sales tax on these three is a big hit.

I have these three pieces and they are great. You will absolutely love them. In terms of selling them in a year... probably a bad idea. You may have to wait longer for the market to recover otherwise you will lose money on the Milgauss and DSSD. You may do ok on the Daytona.

Let us know what happens. Take care.

Pav

ps We need to have a beer together soon.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 06:08 AM   #80
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Hi Brian,

I was in the store on Friday and saw the green Milaguss and DSSD. I did not see the manager only a saleswoman and I did not ask if there was anything in the back (though I did contemplate it). Those pieces have been sitting for a little while so he really wants to unload them.

If I was in your position, I would ask for 20% off minimum for the three and 25% if cash. Unfortunately you are going to get hit with sales tax unless maybe they can ship out of state. Otherwise 8% sales tax on these three is a big hit.

I have these three pieces and they are great. You will absolutely love them. In terms of selling them in a year... probably a bad idea. You may have to wait longer for the market to recover otherwise you will lose money on the Milgauss and DSSD. You may do ok on the Daytona.

Let us know what happens. Take care.

Pav

ps We need to have a beer together soon.
I appreciate your good sentiments Pav, thanks. Let me know when and where, and Ill be there! Do you go to that AD often?
Old 23 March 2009, 06:10 AM   #81
nylawbiz

So, should i e-mail this thread to the manager???
Old 23 March 2009, 06:11 AM   #82
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
I appreciate your good sentiments Pav, thanks. Let me know when and where, and Ill be there! Do you go to that AD often?
1-2 x per month.

Old 23 March 2009, 06:11 AM   #83
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, should i e-mail this thread to the manager???
Why would you? Have you made a decision to get all 3?
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 06:21 AM   #84
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why would you? Have you made a decision to get all 3?
I have been thinking long and hard about this. If they make an irresistible offer, I'd pull the trigger, yes. Where else do you put your money these days? In a bank that pays 1.5% interest at best and may go belly up? The stock market and real estate are going nowhere right now. $20K or so isn't a lot of cash to tie up for a person in my stage in life. 20 years ago I wouldn't have even thought about it. It would have been beyond possiblity. At 51, I've blown that kind of money before. For example, I bought 1,000 shares of Citibank last year at $20/share, which I thought was a bargain. Today it
$2.62/share. At least I would have had the pleasure and equity of fine watches, if I put my money there instead.

So owning these three beauties, while they hopefully hold equity isn't such a bad thing. I mean, what is the downside? If it was the last dollars I had, it would be a very different story. But it isn't, so it is a doable feat. All I need is the gumption and the right deal!

Also, if there is going to be a price increase next month, that makes the deal all the sweeter. The only unknown is Basel. If they upgrade the Daytona, I may feel a little short changed.

Again, thanks everyone for your support and heartfelt advice.
Old 23 March 2009, 06:24 AM   #85
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Brian, go back to your AD with a cash figure in mind (I'd say 20%-ish off) and take it from there!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 06:33 AM   #86
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I do want these watches, of course I do! Shipping out of state is really not legit, we have discussed that before on here and I am not sure the AD would do it anyway.

I guess my thought is to buy the watches "right" so the cost of ownership is mimimized. Of course, no matter what, there will be the expense of insuring them and servicing them.
Once you start negotiating prices, you probably have a 50/50 chance of the rep offering to ship out of state for you.....take it if you'd like. If you do take that discount, combined with the XX% you receive off, you should be okay to resell down the road assuming you don't wear them. I just say buy all three if you want all three, but don't forget you could always just buy one or two.
Old 23 March 2009, 06:35 AM   #87
onkyo
Banned

I agree with Karis. Present him a +/- 20% off number.

The numbers that Jen posted were correct except I thought the green Milgauss was $6,575? Maybe it increased though?

Otherwise 9950 for DSSD and 9925 for Daytona V serial with new style clasp is correct (confirm with him that it is the new style clasp otherwise price is 9250).

Old 23 March 2009, 06:38 AM   #88
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
I agree with Karis. Present him a +/- 20% off number.

The numbers that Jen posted were correct except I thought the green Milgauss was $6,575? Maybe it increased though?

Otherwise 9950 for DSSD and 9925 for Daytona V serial with new style clasp is correct (confirm with him that it is the new style clasp otherwise price is 9250).

I saw and wore the Daytona. It's a V serial number with the new clasp.
Old 23 March 2009, 06:45 AM   #89
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
I saw and wore the Daytona. It's a V serial number with the new clasp.
If the numbers are right, I would bite all 3!

Old 23 March 2009, 08:29 AM   #90
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Quote:
I have been thinking long and hard about this. If they make an irresistible offer, I'd pull the trigger, yes. Where else do you put your money these days? In a bank that pays 1.5% interest at best and may go belly up? The stock market and real estate are going nowhere right now. $20K or so isn't a lot of cash to tie up for a person in my stage in life. 20 years ago I wouldn't have even thought about it. It would have been beyond possiblity. At 51, I've blown that kind of money before. For example, I bought 1,000 shares of Citibank last year at $20/share, which I thought was a bargain. Today it
$2.62/share. At least I would have had the pleasure and equity of fine watches, if I put my money there instead.

So owning these three beauties, while they hopefully hold equity isn't such a bad thing. I mean, what is the downside? If it was the last dollars I had, it would be a very different story. But it isn't, so it is a doable feat. All I need is the gumption and the right deal!

Also, if there is going to be a price increase next month, that makes the deal all the sweeter. The only unknown is Basel. If they upgrade the Daytona, I may feel a little short changed.

Again, thanks everyone for your support and heartfelt advice.

Don't show the manager this thread...what would it gain you, other than tipping your hand?

Offer him the cash deal at 25% off...the rationale is you get the watches for 17% off retail, assuming you don't have them shipped out of state to avoid the tax.

The DSSD retails for $9250, and they're selling used for $6750-$7250 or so. Figure that number will probably hold, maybe drop a little, but not much below 30% off retail in excellent condition.

The Daytona is $9925, and is not selling for much less, even used in excellent condition. Figure it'll probably never drop more than 10%.

The GV sells for $6575, and I've not seen too many in the used market that weren't NIB resales, and they usually were listed for about retail, maybe 5% less. Who knows what the future holds for them as they become more available, but use the Sub LV as a benchmark, and figure they'll probably hold to 20-25% of retail.

So, if you get 17-25% off, net, you'll probably not lose much, and get to enjoy all three. If the deal is predicated on you buying all 3, at the same discount, you can unload the one you don't want for the same discount you got from the AD, and probably sell it fairly fast.

For me, the magic number would be 17% off, or 25% off if I had to pay 8% sales tax.

Good luck.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote