The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 October 2021, 07:49 PM   #61
Becweb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Whist they may be "widely available at greys" not everyone lives in easy travelling distance to a grey, or a grey with stock. So your just go to a grey comment, is, frankly, also BS. There is an entire, different, world outside your particular bubble.

Your analogy is also wrong. Having demo models to see in person, try on and feel the weight, fit and size is no different to actually test driving a car, not simply sitting in a display model.
People also don't live close to ADs or boutiques necessarily except when they're in a particular bubble (like yours perhaps?) so there are more greys / resellers than ADs / Boutique per km2 no matter where you are on Planet Earth, so your point is wrong

And you can't test drive a limited edition / scarce car model from Porsche or Ferrari since you can't purchase it unless you satisfy specific requirements- not talking about the regular production models readily / possibly available.
Rolex makes you try them, but you can't purchase or order them.
So my analogy is flawless
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 08:04 PM   #62
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
People also don't live close to ADs or boutiques necessarily except when they're in a particular bubble (like yours perhaps?) so there are more greys / resellers than ADs / Boutique per km2 no matter where you are on Planet Earth, so your point is wrong

And you can't test drive a limited edition / scarce car model from Porsche or Ferrari since you can't purchase it unless you satisfy specific requirements- not talking about the regular production models readily / possibly available.
Rolex makes you try them, but you can't purchase or order them.
So my analogy is flawless
If you say so

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:02 PM   #63
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Sounds like a lazy and complacent SA.
I wonder why you'd say that?

As for the op I am conflicted on it....

If you could actually place an order for one and have it arrive in some specified amount of time then I think the demo watches make sense as it ensures that you get a watch that isn't handled by countless people

But given the current state of things I agree that they aren't helpful, what is the point either for customers if they have nothing to sell you and can't add you to any kind of meaningful list.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:20 PM   #64
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfsc View Post
Am I the only one that thinks these demo watches are dumb?
No, not at all
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:29 PM   #65
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I think it's a great idea having exhibition models.

Firstly it gives people a chance to actually try these things on. Even back in 2014 when I bought my first BLNR, the first time I'd even seen on in the flesh was when I went to pick it up. I think exhibition pieces will save a few costly mistakes where people have their mind so set on a piece that they just buy it irrespective of whether they actually like it when the call comes.

Secondly, it fills the spaces in the cabinets and gets people actually into the shops, so going some way to justifying AD's having space in their stores dedicated to Rolex watches. That in itself may translate into other sales for the AD's, so it's only a good thing for the industry IMO. Too often now, people will look at an empty display case and just walk on by.

And lastly, it is clearly good for Rolex as actually SEEING the watches in the flesh will only serve to increase customers desire for one, as there's always a change that the more casual luxury watch buyer will see the empty cases and think, "S*d it, I'll have a look at Omega instead".
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 10:44 PM   #66
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
How is it dumb to be able to try on the models for size, that way you know if you want to wait for the watch or buy it grey. Seems quite logical to me actually.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:07 PM   #67
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
Went to a local AD to me and I asked him if he’ll be getting these demos to which he replied “I hope not.” He said he will have a flood of people come in for watches he knows he’ll never be able to get for them.
That’s an employee and not an owner. The business owner would welcome having the chance to get people into the store and spend time talking to them. Not everyone is a shifty flipper and there is plenty of other stuff to sell on the store, including watches. Good salespeople can generate interest in other watches, and there are many excellent ones made by other brands to at least try on. If it’s just a piker who is whining about a steel Daytona, then you can give him short shrift and spend time with people who are interesting to talk with and tell them about the JLC that you have in stock.

As for the display only watches, I like the idea of seeing how a watch will fit and look on the wrist before I buy it, even if it isn’t from that retailer. Nobody is forcing me to go in and try it on. Also, that Daytona wannabe might actually decide that he likes and wants a different Rolex model after trying it on.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:13 PM   #68
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
Nobody is forcing me to go in and try it on.
That’s right, it’s somewhat interesting how many people feel that they are being forced by their AD to do something or buy something.

ADs sure wish they had that kind of power.

I’m in the demo watches are good camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:33 PM   #69
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I actually think the demo program was needed. It’s the same with some higher end cars. You may be able to see the production version and maybe test drive it, but there’s a wait to get one. This has happened and is happening with many in-demand luxury products - Rolex is not immune.

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:49 PM   #70
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder View Post
maybe they should just buy some real ones from davidsw.
Or they just send him the difference and keep the watches to begin with.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:52 PM   #71
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
No, not at all
Likewise cannot see any problem with them whatsoever.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 11:53 PM   #72
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

As for the program itself, I think it’s great. When you never even see these watches you just put yourself on the list for everything because you don’t know what you want. But when you have them in front of you, that’s when you can also dismiss a lot of watches you might have thought you wanted. And what remains are true preferences, which deserve waiting for.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:46 AM   #73
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

Having read that the typical scenario regarding shipments to an AD is pot luck, how are these almost replicas allotted and valued?
I wonder if the AD has to floor plan hundreds of thousands of dollars of goods that are unsellable.

ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 12:56 AM   #74
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I think it’s a logical thing to do, enables people to try on watches they wouldn’t otherwise be able to try on. I found it incredibly useful even trying to decide between a Patek 5990 and 5712.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 01:17 AM   #75
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
They have really killed the watch shopping and buying experience

J

I don't really understand the "logic" behind your complaint...

"They" (Rolex) haven't "killed" anything. I think you only complaint is against other customers that have purchased all of the Rolexes in the store and you cannot see/touch/feel them.

Being that this is the current situation in every AD across the globe, "they" (Rolex) are trying to make the watch shopping experience better by having those non-working models available so you can actually see/tough/feel ... otherwise, you would just be looking at catalogs and website pictures/videos.
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 01:25 AM   #76
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I'm on the fence. What good is it to try on a watch you can't buy?
Unless the future business model is demo pieces and direct orders from the factory to customer via AD?

I don't know. The whole thing gives me a headache.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 01:28 AM   #77
jpwv
Banned

better than nothing or having to look at a picture.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 02:34 AM   #78
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Back in the olden days of yore, when we had to walk uphill both ways through drifting snow and freezing cold wind/rain/ just to get to the AD, we were greeted upon our arrival with friendly hellos and an invitation to look at and try on anything our hearts desired. During these old timey, black and white window shopping sessions, with our top hats and canes, we could try on practically every piece in the catalog. They were all there for us to look at, try on, wear around the store, and you could get a feeling for what you liked and didn't like in person.

Alas, how times have changed. Now that the world is in color and hovercrafts are flittering about like butterflies, we can only dream and imagine what a piece might actually feel and look like on the wrist - the weight, the size, the feeling... Today if you are lucky enough to get a call for a watch that you imagine and "think" you might really want, based on high res photos online and reviews, you have to drop everything and rush over to the AD just to be able to try it on. Heaven forbid that if you don't like it and have to pass, you may insult them and never get called again.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 03:20 AM   #79
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I guess, it just seems like a lot of time, effort and expense and not really putting any more watches for sale.
In all my decades as an enthusiast this situation has never, ever, no way ever, been this bad. This I feel we can all agree. BUT there is simply no way to fill this massive worldwide bubble 'economy'. It takes years to double and triple production... and what is the free currency tap closes, or crashes.

The below post by Santiago shows the benefit of display pieces that can benefit thousands to see and feel the timepiece.

Look, no one is fully happy here. I've turned down hot Daytonas, had the PP Aqua years before it was 'hot' (wife had matching mechanical ladies).... Ask yourself where all this 'new' currency to buy homes, cars, timepieces, etc is coming from. Simply said, and we can't blame Rolex or home builders/etc, there's far too much currency chasing too few goods. jmho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
I appreciate the demo watches. I always thought a skydweller would be too large for my wrist. It's actually not that bad!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 07:01 AM   #80
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Went to an AD today to look at watches. The had only four ladies watches for sale in the entire store, but they did have several demos of highly sought after watches including a Batman and Blue face Sky-Dweller. The AD explained these are the actual watches without the movement inside.

I guess Rolex is either trying to finally let us get to touch and feel these hard to get watches or they are tired of empty display cases.

Either way I think its silly to have watches on display that aren't real watches and watches you cant buy. They have really killed the watch shopping and buying experience

J
I am sure many will agree with you. I don't I would appreciate trying on the watch for size, especially since the MM count on Rolex seems to not always be real.
Plus, you can buy ALL of them and have then on your wrist the next day.
Just not there.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 07:09 AM   #81
Dean_Clevername
"TRF" Member

I think they are a great idea. What could be worse than waiting some ridiculous amount of time only to realize the watch you have been coveting doesn't suit your wrist? Or that you actually prefer the vintage form factor of whatever model you're on the list for? Or that you prefer the colors of the BLNR over the BLRO (both quite hard to photograph accurately). I see no real downside for this other than complaints from people who would complain about empty cases anyhow.
Dean_Clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 07:12 AM   #82
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’ll admit. It’s kinda silly. But only because you can’t get one if you like it. If it were a matter of ordering and the demo was for reference I’d have no issues.

Old 6 October 2021, 02:54 PM   #83
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
I think they are a great idea. What could be worse than waiting some ridiculous amount of time only to realize the watch you have been coveting doesn't suit your wrist? Or that you actually prefer the vintage form factor of whatever model you're on the list for? Or that you prefer the colors of the BLNR over the BLRO (both quite hard to photograph accurately). I see no real downside for this other than complaints from people who would complain about empty cases anyhow.
This post is 100% accurate. The complaints against display models are not even logical because it is objectively better to have display models than empty cases. It's the same people who are bitter and impatient about not being able to get a Rolex who are most affected by this. I mean, I am also annoyed by the wait times, but it's just a damn watch and I am a grown adult with perspective.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 04:27 PM   #84
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I’ll admit. It’s kinda silly. But only because you can’t get one if you like it. If it were a matter of ordering and the demo was for reference I’d have no issues.

This is my opinion on it too
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 04:49 PM   #85
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLou View Post
Rolex says shortages of materials is the problem of supply
Also their immaculate quality control assembly it takes time to finish.

I wonder - How come they have the materials and time
to create and exhibit the “dummies” ?

I have seen in the past jewelry salesmen carrying alloy dummies
in their traveling cases. in case of a robbery - you look at the design
and you order the precious metal you prefer to buy….
such funny business lately
I would guess that the movement is the most difficult part of a watch to produce.
Giving serious buyers a chance to try and wear something before they buy is a good idea.
Only an idiot would order something costing 1000s that might be too big or too small for them.
The thing with a sports model Rolex is that people know that even if it is too big they can flip for a quick profit
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 10:32 AM   #86
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This benefits ADs in that they have something they can display but they don't have to display the models they hold in the back that they aren't going to sell to just anyone. You can show a 'Daytona' without having to sell a Daytona to the person you show it to (or, alternatively, if someone tries on your display 'Daytona' and they make you a good offer, you can turn around and sell them a Daytona). It's smart.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 11:26 AM   #87
1665fan
"TRF" Member

The waitlist for the demo is shorter than the one that tells time…….yea I’m on the 116500 list!!!!!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 11:30 AM   #88
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I always thought the models in the AD’s case were “display models”. Didn’t don’t put they weren’t until a year and a half ago or so. I think it makes sense to have watches people can try on and play with on their wrist before committing to a purchase. It may help narrow down the waitlist if one try’s a watch on that they really wanted but then realize it doesn’t work on them.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 11:32 AM   #89
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWS65SM View Post
Actually from what I remembered, my AD's explanation was these exhibition pieces do have movements inside but just not complete - something like certain springs were removed to prevent the movement from running. In terms of weight/feel these exhibition pieces being rolled out at many ADs should be nearly identical to actual watches being sold - they have serial numbers on the rehaut and all.... Again, I think that's what I was told.
Yes, my AD confirmed your comments last weekend. The watches do have movements but they are stopped with some type of internal plate to impide the movement. I am sure that said plate could be removed, but not by the AD.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 12:04 PM   #90
golfsc
"TRF" Member

As the OP I will weigh in again.

I have enjoyed reading all the replies (even the snarky ones directed at me.)

I have included my current collection only to demonstrate that I have no problem getting watches from my AD.

My only reason for thinking theses demos are silly is because they are watches that most people will never be allowed to buy. I would have no problem with demos if you could walk in and after trying on various models you could order your desired watch. What good is trying on and falling in love with a blue Sky-Dweller if you will never get one or deciding the Sub fits perfectly only to have your name added to a pretend list?

I guess I'm just built a little different in that I'm not interested in playing these silly Rolex games. I have no desire to "demo" watches that you won't sell me. I personally would be happy with empty cases and getting the phone call when my desired model comes in.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coll2021.jpg (132.2 KB, 56 views)
golfsc is offline   Reply With Quote