The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one should be sold? 124060 or 14060M
Sell 14060M 169 49.27%
Sell 124060 174 50.73%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 November 2021, 06:38 PM   #61
colpol
"TRF" Member

I know you said didn’t want to do debt but have you seriously done the maths ?

Keep both watches
24 month loan for say 10k
Make some lifestyle changes to offset the loan ie cut out bought coffees/ make pack lunch/ skip a few meals out a month, more savvy when shopping, etc

The loan will always go down/ the value of the watches currently going up plus saves you hassle/ pain of selling the watch

I know debt/ finance a bad word for some on here but if it was me - selling the watch would be final option (if your happy taking on the loan)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 10:01 PM   #62
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
The new watch is registered to you. If you sell it and your AD finds out that’s it. You will never get another watch again.
Oh how totally not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.
Best advice I've read out of three pages of ideas and a nearly 50/50 survey.

Quote:
No way would I let a new watch registered in my name be out there.
Another senseless post. Are you one of those guys who covers his license plate when taking a picture of your car?

Geez. At least you are consistent.

OP: based on your comments in the first post, it seems to me that the 14060 has a slight win. Sell the 12, take the proceeds and buy braces and car parts and set aside $500 for a service and $20 for a demagnetizer.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 11:13 PM   #63
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Oh how totally not true!

Best advice I've read out of three pages of ideas and a nearly 50/50 survey.

Another senseless post. Are you one of those guys who covers his license plate when taking a picture of your car?

Geez. At least you are consistent.

OP: based on your comments in the first post, it seems to me that the 14060 has a slight win. Sell the 12, take the proceeds and buy braces and car parts and set aside $500 for a service and $20 for a demagnetizer.

Wow you must be some kind of special. Why don’t you sell me your new sub smart guy? If you even got it from an AD. Sell it to me since you just got it in 2021 since you can easily get another one. Let’s see who is right.

Better yet go to your AD and tell them to want to sell the watch they just got you and that you want to be on the list for another one. Update us when you will get another sub.

I’ll wait …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 01:12 AM   #64
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

All of your points are valid and yet I am no closer to making my decision with an exactly 50/50 split in the poll.
Old 6 November 2021, 01:18 AM   #65
spacemanvt
"TRF" Member

keep both!
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 03:27 AM   #66
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
124060 for me

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 04:11 AM   #67
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Wow you must be some kind of special.
I am, thank you.

My point was that if you sell a watch, the AD is not automatically going to find out. And even if they did somehow later learn that fact, it doesn't necessarily mean that they won't sell you another watch.

I've sold every Rolex I ever bought. There's a difference between selling a watch because you're tired of it or as in the OP's case because you need the money, and simply flipping it for an immediate profit.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 04:18 AM   #68
DannyO
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 14060
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ref-14060.html

Read this
DannyO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 04:25 AM   #69
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyO View Post
Thanks, I have read that article before and many like it when I decided to buy my 14060M. It is a great watch but so is the 124060.
Old 6 November 2021, 04:26 AM   #70
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents. If you are attached to the old one, keep it. Flip the new one and make the profit. If you are not attached to the old one, sell it. The new one is objectively better in almost every way outside of personal preference (if you prefer a lighter watch, if you prefer an aluminum bezel, etc). You will make a profit selling either watch... its just a matter attachment, and how much you value that.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 04:57 AM   #71
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Wouldn't think twice about selling the 14060. The new Subs are brilliant. In fact, I think Rolex has finally made the PERFECT sub in the 41.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 04:59 AM   #72
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Sell 124060

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 12:40 PM   #73
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I am, thank you.

My point was that if you sell a watch, the AD is not automatically going to find out. And even if they did somehow later learn that fact, it doesn't necessarily mean that they won't sell you another watch.

I've sold every Rolex I ever bought. There's a difference between selling a watch because you're tired of it or as in the OP's case because you need the money, and simply flipping it for an immediate profit.

Take the advice from a flipper. He knows everything I’m a collector. We are not the same.

Old 7 November 2021, 11:58 AM   #74
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

Sell the newer 124060! The 14060m is iconic. I've had a y-serial 14060m as my only watch for over 17 years and still love it!
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 11:59 AM   #75
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

and the answer is......
Old 11 November 2021, 01:04 PM   #76
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

Generally I am a fan of 5 digit sub for nostalgic history and all other stuff. if your 14060 were a tritium dial, then I'll prob choose tritium dial over the new one cuz it will age nicely with patina but yours is 14060M then I'll choose 124060 instead.

Reason being, it got your name on it the paper work from AD. It is truly yours from the very beginning. "The original owner" that is something down the line people, collectors, your family will appreciate. Hence you like the new feature of bracelet, lume is bigger and brighter. It is a rare case I would suggest to keep 124060 instead. Overall do feel like it is an upgrade while keeping the right proportion over 114060.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 01:40 PM   #77
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Sell the 14060M, you already used it for many years. Time for a new chapter in your life. It also won't look good for your AD if you sell the new one.
Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 02:34 PM   #78
ink3027
"TRF" Member

I'd choose to keep the 14060M and sell the 124060 without much hesitation, for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, the 124060 is still in production and the 14060M isn't -- particularly the one you have that you've owned for almost a decade. There's history with that watch. If you sell the 124060 and want it back, you can always reacquire one. It might require effort or going grey, but it can be had. Your particular 14060M would be gone forever, though.

And secondly, the comfort factor. The 6 digit Rolex models for me are significantly less comfortable for all day wear than their 5-digit counterparts. I can wear a 14060M or 16710 all day without realizing it. But after wearing a 126610 or BLNR all day, by the evening I'm looking forward to taking it off. It's only 25-ish grams heavier, but it sure feels heavier and bulkier on the wrist. Personally, no matter how much I like the look of a watch, if it's uncomfortable after long days, I move it along.

Comfort is a personal preference, but since you've mentioned the weight factor it seems like something that might apply to you as well.

Best of luck in your decision, let us know which way you go.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 02:55 PM   #79
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Sell the older and keep the newer.

I voted that way only because you are not the original owner of the 5-digit. If you truly preferred it to the newer one, you wouldn’t be doing this poll, because you’d get more $$ for the newer one.

You are the original owner of the 6-digit. You had a positive experience at your AD buying a brand new watch. You can create new memories with your newer watch. Maybe you haven’t worn the new one as much because you’re still wearing the older one.

As others have said, the new bracelet, clasp, bezel, lower reserve, etc. are all technologically superior to the 5.

If you were the original owner of the 14060m and you had bought the 124060 second-hand, I would still vote to keep the one you bought brand new.

Before you decide, though, get a quote from the reseller as to how much you would get for each. Maybe the gulf is so great that it makes sense selling the newer one.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 03:04 PM   #80
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

keep the five digit if you can! You’ll regret it otherwise later.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 08:00 AM   #81
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

OP, any decision yet?
Old 16 November 2021, 11:29 PM   #82
TRS1
"TRF" Member

I would keep the 14060m. More soul and harder to replace.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 11:37 PM   #83
bluetrain
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Keep the 14060m!
bluetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 12:10 AM   #84
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Wow you must be some kind of special. Why don’t you sell me your new sub smart guy? If you even got it from an AD. Sell it to me since you just got it in 2021 since you can easily get another one. Let’s see who is right.

Better yet go to your AD and tell them to want to sell the watch they just got you and that you want to be on the list for another one. Update us when you will get another sub.

I’ll wait …

If you seriously have to pay a full deposit for a DD40 with no guarantees of getting it within the year with your purchase history, I doubt your are best placed to advise on how an AD would react here.

And that's before we even consider the crass insensitivity of your "look at me" postings of pretty much every hard to come by sports Rolex on a thread posted by someone who is having to let one of his two Rolex collection go for financial reasons..

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 12:13 AM   #85
DavB
Banned

Watch: Rolexes & Others
Sell 14060m
DavB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 12:42 AM   #86
teabags001
Banned

124060 or 14060M (one has to go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
If you seriously have to pay a full deposit for a DD40 with no guarantees of getting it within the year with your purchase history, I doubt your are best placed to advise on how an AD would react here.

And that's before we even consider the crass insensitivity of your "look at me" postings of pretty much every hard to come by sports Rolex on a thread posted by someone who is having to let one of his two Rolex collection go for financial reasons..

1st off DD40s are allocated and cannot be ordered at any AD that is in my area. Secondly with the watches I have I think I know how not to burn my relationship with my AD. Third why don’t you read the thread before posting. Your condescending remarks are unwarranted. Did you just gloss over the part where I was the only person to offer help if he actually wanted to keep both watches? Right… you only post what you fits your narrative.

So you think the best advice is to sell his new watch because he can magically walk in and get another? I’m sorry I didn’t know Rolex ADs are now giving multiple SS sports pieces of the same watch now.

Old 17 November 2021, 01:32 AM   #87
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Youre co templating keeping a watch that needs service over a brand new watch?

First off, I say scratch off the emotional items off the list. The memories from either watch, you will still have. That “first watch”, not to be insensitive but who cares? If it was a present from your dad or something, that is one thing but there should be no sentimentality here. Also, on the six digit “first watch I bought from my ad” is a silly memory to sentimentalize. In my opinion anyway.

Assuming you like both watches equally and if you’re struggling to determine which to move, that’s probably the case, think about the fact and tangible aspects of moving a watch.

Think about what you can get for each watch. You can obviously get more money for the newer one.

If you sold the older one would that be enough money for your situation? Or will you just end up selling the newer watch later to make up the difference?

If you sell the newer one and keep the older one, will you be okay dripping $ into it for the service it needs. Also will you be okay with no watch while it is being serviced?

Based on the facts that seem relevant to me, all signs are pointing to keeping the new watch. The variables are the premium you’d collect over selling the 6digit, the service needed for the 5 digit, how much you like each model and the like.

But If it were me, I’d keep the six digit all day.

~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:37 AM   #88
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Listen if your serious about keeping both send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle3130 View Post
Your inbox is full.

Is anyone else dying to know what’s going on here? Lol

~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:39 AM   #89
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Both are keepers but if one has to go it would be the one you are giving the least wrist time to. Wouldn’t over think it.

Both can be readily sold and replaced for a premium.

My 14060 has been in my collection along with the 5 digit exp ii for longer than many other modern hot options.
Old 17 November 2021, 01:40 AM   #90
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
Is anyone else dying to know what’s going on here? Lol

Probably going to help him out.

Good man.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote