The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18 April 2020, 10:33 PM   #961
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
Heavy social unrest from not watching sport?
Well, quite. What a silly notion.

Quote:
People are more intelligent than that I think.
I wish I could agree with you on that. The post you are replying to doesn't support your view!

High body count due to selfishness, versus inability to watch sport.Gee. That's a tough one!
Old 18 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #962
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

I tried trading a Daytona into a well know online watch website in the UK, they offered me a little over £8k for a new in the box white dial 116500LN Daytona. This tells me not many people are buying unless its a steal.
Old 18 April 2020, 11:57 PM   #963
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
It makes no sense how equities haven't even dropped meaningfully despite very real long term damage to the economy...

Magical fed.
It’s going to come crumbling down quite hard and quite fast. How anybody can think the market right now is ‘naturally’ incurring growth when every WEEK its more people unemployed, more businesses shuttering and more individuals losing income even if they are employed? Yeah, keep thinking this will hold steady (not you, the people saying everything is fine).
Old 19 April 2020, 12:10 AM   #964
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdaytona View Post
I tried trading a Daytona into a well know online watch website in the UK, they offered me a little over £8k for a new in the box white dial 116500LN Daytona. This tells me not many people are buying unless its a steal.
$8k pounds? That is only a little over $10k USD? Which gray dealer was this?
Old 19 April 2020, 12:31 AM   #965
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
$8k pounds? That is only a little over $10k USD? Which gray dealer was this?
£8k to £8250, from one of the biggest in the UK. Not sure if its ok to post their name on this forum. It's a such a low number compared to their asking price on their website which is between £21-£24k on a 116500LN but goes to show they don't want to buy unless its a bargain.
Old 19 April 2020, 12:38 AM   #966
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG YM2
Quote:
This thread amazes me in the difference in Europe and the US.

Europe (particularly where I am in the UK)

- complete national lockdown
- all retail closed
- travel banned apart from work
- food compliance from population
- all flights (practically) grounded
- massive portions of the workforce furloughed
- 12,000 dead from the virus.

US (and I know this is only from here so 100% not representative!)
- people ‘gotta live life’ so up going on holiday
- retail still open in places
- flights still operating on a much larger scale than Europe (look at flight24)
- gatherings still happening, no national lockdown
- record levels of unemployment claims
- 32,000 dead from the virus

I think I’m the whole, people are more worried here about the economy and their jobs than buying Rolex right now, what ever an AD says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are still in complete lock-down mode here in South Florida...

Old 19 April 2020, 12:40 AM   #967
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
It’s going to come crumbling down quite hard and quite fast. How anybody can think the market right now is ‘naturally’ incurring growth when every WEEK its more people unemployed, more businesses shuttering and more individuals losing income even if they are employed? Yeah, keep thinking this will hold steady (not you, the people saying everything is fine).
What is happening is a sense of optimism that the economies will re-open soon which is actually happening. Plus people in the US all over are opening questioning the continued need for any of this given every prediction ever made regarding the severity of this virus has not been correct. Too many statements were made when the people making them had no real data on the disease. All of these have been continually revised downward. Now we hear the hospitals are basically are under utilized from the shutdowns to no care except emergencies and the virus. Turns out the health care system could handle this virus in the US as it did in 2017 when what 80K people died from the flu in hospitals. Turns out New York did not need most of the ventilators they asked for. The list goes on and on. It is the continued pessimism by some that is our real enemy now. As President Roosevelt said in 1930, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." You can paraphrase that with pessimism. Together, we can work a strong recovery if we use common sense and put some trust back into the people to do the right things with the knowledge they now have of safe hygiene. Hopefully, the future narratives will more emphasize wellness to naturally build up our health and immune systems. The stuff our grandmothers knew and told us.
Old 19 April 2020, 12:44 AM   #968
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdaytona View Post
£8k to £8250, from one of the biggest in the UK. Not sure if its ok to post their name on this forum. It's a such a low number compared to their asking price on their website which is between £21-£24k on a 116500LN but goes to show they don't want to buy unless its a bargain.
Watchfinder I assume then. LOL

They are probably hoarding 10+ of these pieces so basically thats a price to say "no thanks not interested in buying it". But yes I agree some of the prices being offered for those hyped SS hot models is crazy crazy low now.
Old 19 April 2020, 12:53 AM   #969
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This thread amazes me in the difference in Europe and the US.

Europe (particularly where I am in the UK)

- complete national lockdown
- all retail closed
- travel banned apart from work
- food compliance from population
- all flights (practically) grounded
- massive portions of the workforce furloughed
- 12,000 dead from the virus.

US (and I know this is only from here so 100% not representative!)
- people ‘gotta live life’ so up going on holiday
- retail still open in places
- flights still operating on a much larger scale than Europe (look at flight24)
- gatherings still happening, no national lockdown
- record levels of unemployment claims
- 32,000 dead from the virus

I think I’m the whole, people are more worried here about the economy and their jobs than buying Rolex right now, what ever an AD says.

The UK is experiencing higher severity. The UK, as of yesterday, experienced 215 deaths per million population versus 112 per million population in the USA. Perhaps the USA is lower now due to less urban living on average and if warmer weather helps. It is highly regionalized, New York State is at 873 deaths per million population, while Texas is only 16 deaths per million population.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:01 AM   #970
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What is happening is a sense of optimism that the economies will re-open soon which is actually happening. Plus people in the US all over are opening questioning the continued need for any of this given every prediction ever made regarding the severity of this virus has not been correct. Too many statements were made when the people making them had no real data on the disease. All of these have been continually revised downward. Now we hear the hospitals are basically are under utilized from the shutdowns to no care except emergencies and the virus. Turns out the health care system could handle this virus in the US as it did in 2017 when what 80K people died from the flu in hospitals. Turns out New York did not need most of the ventilators they asked for. The list goes on and on. It is the continued pessimism by some that is our real enemy now. As President Roosevelt said in 1930, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." You can paraphrase that with pessimism. Together, we can work a strong recovery if we use common sense and put some trust back into the people to do the right things with the knowledge they now have of safe hygiene. Hopefully, the future narratives will more emphasize wellness to naturally build up our health and immune systems. The stuff our grandmothers knew and told us.
This is new for everyone, so there is no hard data to make accurate projections.

Some might say the measures taken so far have been successful in keeping down the casualties. Also, there is a time lag as it spreads.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #971
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
The UK is experiencing higher severity. The UK, as of yesterday, experienced 215 deaths per million population versus 112 per million population in the USA. Perhaps the USA is lower now due to less urban living on average and if warmer weather helps. It is highly regionalized, New York State is at 873 deaths per million population, while Texas is only 16 deaths per million population.
London is by far the worst hit in the UK, which kind of makes sense with the number of international visitors and close living proximity. Same for New York. So I think it’s difficult to use national figures.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #972
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

We’re closing in on 1 million people alone in the US and thousands are still dying daily. This will continue for a while.

Furthermore, 20 million people filed for unemployment in less than one week. Small businesses all over have shut their doors and more are expected to do so. Many, many economists are saying almost without a doubt, we’re headed towards recession, as in, 100%. This was just the tipping point, we needed a correction anyways, it was overdue. People can buy the market all they want, the books won’t lie next quarter (for the most part) and it’s going to head down down down.

Even if a vaccine was released TOMORROW (which it will be next year at the minimum) there’s still massive amounts of economic damage already done. It’s not being pessimistic whatsoever, it’s being realistic and utilizing facts to draw an informed conclusion. To be honest I’m not sure how serious to take your post

As an aside, do I think we’re going to be in some rut for years? 100% not, but it definitely will be 2022 onwards to crack that Dow high IMO.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:06 AM   #973
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Bear in mind, as specifically said by Dr Birx at a press conference last week, everyone who tests positive for the virus and dies in the USA is listed as a Covid-19 death, even though they may have died solely from their underlying terminal condition and were showing no signs of the virus. The USA is the only country doing this. So the US numbers are most likely highly inflated and inaccurate. Deaths from other causes are way down as a result of this practice. It is estimated 87 to 91 percent of infected people of Covid-19 will show no symptoms whatsoever. In reality, this number can never be known without universal testing.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:12 AM   #974
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Well, quite. What a silly notion.

I wish I could agree with you on that. The post you are replying to doesn't support your view!

High body count due to selfishness, versus inability to watch sport.Gee. That's a tough one!
I think we’ve moved on from the whole high body count thing. Even Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx aren’t using that as a reason anymore. We really need to come up with other reasons to keep everyone home.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 April 2020, 01:14 AM   #975
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I think we’ve moved on from the whole high body count thing. Even Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx aren’t using that as a reason anymore. We really need to come up with other reasons to keep everyone home.
150k+ dead (and counting) isn’t a high body count? That’s also with multiple Asian countries fudging their numbers.

I don’t get some of your logic, ‘oh it only might be 400,000 dead and not 1 million dead, wow, what a gross over exaggeration!’
Old 19 April 2020, 01:15 AM   #976
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We’re closing in on 1 million people alone in the US and thousands are still dying daily. This will continue for a while.

Furthermore, 20 million people filed for unemployment in less than one week. Small businesses all over have shut their doors and more are expected to do so. Many, many economists are saying almost without a doubt, we’re headed towards recession, as in, 100%. This was just the tipping point, we needed a correction anyways, it was overdue. People can buy the market all they want, the books won’t lie next quarter (for the most part) and it’s going to head down down down.

Even if a vaccine was released TOMORROW (which it will be next year at the minimum) there’s still massive amounts of economic damage already done. It’s not being pessimistic whatsoever, it’s being realistic and utilizing facts to draw an informed conclusion. To be honest I’m not sure how serious to take your post

As an aside, do I think we’re going to be in some rut for years? 100% not, but it definitely will be 2022 onwards to crack that Dow high IMO.
First time in American history that we did it on purpose. The United States government actually ordered the country into a depression. Unfathomable. Actually it did seem fathomable when they were predicting 2.4 million deaths. However we now know they were 98.5% off on that model.

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #977
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
150k+ dead (and counting) isn’t a high body count? That’s also with multiple Asian countries fudging their numbers.

I don’t get some of your logic, ‘oh it only might be 400,000 dead and not 1 million dead, wow, what a gross over exaggeration!’
That’s worldwide. I imagine it will be quite a bit higher than that before it’s all done however that doesn’t even come close to the flu numbers every year. When are we going to stop pretending?

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #978
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Watchfinder I assume then. LOL

They are probably hoarding 10+ of these pieces so basically thats a price to say "no thanks not interested in buying it". But yes I agree some of the prices being offered for those hyped SS hot models is crazy crazy low now.
Obviously Watchfinder. That offer price gives a pretty good indication of how business must be going for them seeing as they were offering high teens just a month or so ago...

I’ll give you 10K
Old 19 April 2020, 01:30 AM   #979
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That’s worldwide. I imagine it will be quite a bit higher than that before it’s all done however that doesn’t even come close to the flu numbers every year. When are we going to stop pretending?
You do realize the ‘most updated’ graphical models which predicted a mid April peak of around 2000 deaths per day (which is whats happening) still results in over 100k dead Americans? Also the flu correlation is silly, don’t repeat that in person as anyone familiar with Epi or in the medical field will just shake their head.

Some of you guys need to read and research more, just saying.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:31 AM   #980
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Obviously Watchfinder. That offer price gives a pretty good indication of how business must be going for them seeing as they were offering high teens just a month or so ago...

I’ll give you 10K
10,010 right here!
Closed Thread