The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 January 2015, 06:00 AM   #91
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove37 View Post
Have had a 1603 Datejust for 35 years.

Looked at a 16623 TT YM in comparison to a new sub and found the YM much closer in profile and fit to my DJ.

Sub was to sharp and angular.

However from looking at a comparison pic on the bobswatches link the YM and older sub seem to have the same case?

Larry
One of the things I love about the YM is the sculpted case. It's the same thing I love about the DJ or DD as well. To me, it truly makes the watch and based on your post and past experience, I would really encourage you to give a hard look at the YM for this reason alone. You'll also feel very much at home with the little bit of extra Crystal sticking up. It will wear heavier than the DJ for sure, but it rides well, pretty low, and super comfortable. I'm partial to the Blue and if you get it you'll be amazed at how beautiful it is on the wrist. Truly a stunner. I think Rolex really hit a home run with this watch and I'm so happy to be wearing one. Just a couple of months into it now, and I'm still over the moon with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
It's a good looking watch to be sure. It has a great movement shared by a few iconic Rolex watches.

My opinion is just that it is a bit silly and not really the choice of Yachtsmen from what I know. That's all.
Fair enough.

I think there is a model or two that is silly myself, and just don't get.

We all love what we do though.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 06:15 AM   #92
Dove37
"TRF" Member

Brushpup....agreed.

Looking at a 16623 TT with a Champagne dial.

LA
Dove37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 08:13 AM   #93
Marco14
"TRF" Member

I love the Yachtmaster

I am actually looking to purchase the TT with either the mother of pearl dial or the champagne dial. I was also looking at a Sub, but I just love the feel and look of the YM on my wrist.
Marco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 08:30 AM   #94
style88
"TRF" Member

I always look at the YM as a luxury, dressier version of the sub.

It is for people who loves sub, but wanted a version that matches well for formal functions or expensive events. A sub that looks classy, elegant and not too sporty looking.

IMO, I don't think it was a confused watch. The purpose of this watch is quite clear to me.....a luxury, dressier version of the sub meant for certain group of buyers who wants a dressy elegant looking sub rather than a sporty looking sub which has that divewatch look.
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 08:35 AM   #95
Dove37
"TRF" Member

Style88 bang on.

Looked again at the TT With Champagne dial and it fits like a glove with one glaring issue.

The SS winder should be gold like the Sub and GMT TT.

Will have to source if I dont go all gold due to weight and bling quotient.

L
Dove37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 09:01 AM   #96
Catyack
Banned

I can't believe anyone would think the YM is a "silly" ref when there's things like the SDDS with a pointless 12,000' depth rating, 18mm tall x 43mm behemoth case, and a monstrous, over-engineered clasp. Throw in 7 lines of writing on the dial as well as big letters advertising its "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "Ring Lock System" on the chapter ring, and I think you'll see a better definition of what's "silly" than the svelte YM.

In my opinion, of course.
Catyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 11:32 AM   #97
Speed
"TRF" Member

There can be more than one silly watch...
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 07:13 PM   #98
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
It's obviously a great watch but it is rarely the pick for a first Rolex so right there it isn't going to be one of the most popular.

Aside from that, functionally it's a Sub without less water resistance for more money. So for the average guy unless they particularly like the look of the YM they will probably go for the Sub, especially if they don't already own one.
I think there is a lot to this, most of us fumble our way into a Sub first and it is hard to see a reason to add a YM or replace a Sub when they look and behave similarly. Time over and I only had one the Blue YM might get the nod over a Sub for me and that is a big call.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 10:28 PM   #99
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove37 View Post
Brushpup....agreed.

Looking at a 16623 TT with a Champagne dial.

LA
Whoa....Upscale!

PClub # 10
Old 7 January 2015, 10:53 PM   #100
GEZ7ch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer Wan2110
It's a great gorgeous watch. Popular or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Certina DS - Action Diver Automatic 200m - Blue Dial
GEZ7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 12:28 AM   #101
rollerball

Actually the YM is quite popular. I don't own one but I know at alot of rich (very) business owners who own one. Mostly TT or full gold. Usually, the reason being, that's the only couple sport watches from ROLEX. One thing common about them is that most of them don't really visit forums. They just buy what they like and can't be bothered about the so called losses if they were to sell off. Hence, I would say that the YM is unpopular BUT only in the internet world. There is a whole wide world out there that doesn't care about Submariner, black SS Daytona etc
rollerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 03:09 AM   #102
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerball View Post
Actually the YM is quite popular. I don't own one but I know at alot of rich (very) business owners who own one. Mostly TT or full gold. Usually, the reason being, that's the only couple sport watches from ROLEX. One thing common about them is that most of them don't really visit forums. They just buy what they like and can't be bothered about the so called losses if they were to sell off. Hence, I would say that the YM is unpopular BUT only in the internet world. There is a whole wide world out there that doesn't care about Submariner, black SS Daytona etc
Yep, the target audience is the stereotypical flashy Rolex owner who doesn't know anything about watches. (This doesn't mean that they are the only ones who buy it, but they're the ones who it's aimed at.)
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 03:43 AM   #103
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Yep, the target audience is the stereotypical flashy Rolex owner who doesn't know anything about watches. (This doesn't mean that they are the only ones who buy it, but they're the ones who it's aimed at.)
uhh..

So is that the same target audience Rolex had in mind when releasing TT and 18k versions of the other sports models? Seems a bit harsh.
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 04:45 AM   #104
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
uhh..

So is that the same target audience Rolex had in mind when releasing TT and 18k versions of the other sports models? Seems a bit harsh.
The Yacht-Master by its very nature is a blinged out Submariner that is less robust. I am not saying that all Rolex tool watches get used for their intended purposes, but the Yacht-Master does not even pretend to.
Old 8 January 2015, 04:48 AM   #105
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Oh really.....and how would you know this????

Quote:
Old 8 January 2015, 04:51 AM   #106
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Oh really.....and how would you know this????
Because of what I just said in the post after.
Old 8 January 2015, 04:54 AM   #107
Scholar
"TRF" Member

(Also, it's become a bit of a hobby to people watch what the Russian oligarchs and the like go for at the watch boutiques in London!)
Old 8 January 2015, 04:57 AM   #108
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

There are too many backhanded complements slid into your statement above.
I think you are asserting your opinion and passing it off as a Rolex fact.
How could you possible know the targeted audience of any Rolex watch and their background knowledge??

Quote:
Because of what I just said in the post after.
Old 8 January 2015, 04:58 AM   #109
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I like the look of the Yachtmaster. I have a TT model with mother of pearl dial and I bought my wife a new blue dial Ladies model for Christmas this year.

chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 04:58 AM   #110
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
There is too many backhanded complements slid into your statement above.
I think you are asserting your opinion and passing it off as a Rolex fact.
I think you are taking the post as being quite a bit more serious than it was.
Old 8 January 2015, 05:01 AM   #111
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I love the blue face, but the bezel puts me off. On the blue face version the bezel looks too big.
submariner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 05:02 AM   #112
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Daytona, DD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post
I like the look of the Yachtmaster. I have a TT model with mother of pearl dial and I bought my wife a new blue dial Ladies model for Christmas this year.

Stunning... both of them.

engin33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 05:04 AM   #113
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That MOP Serti dial is stunning!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post

Old 8 January 2015, 08:45 AM   #114
Catyack
Banned

Quote:
The target market for the YM are people who own boats, who like boats, who dream about boats, who hang around at marinas or live on boats. Owning boats means having money and the desire to spend it on boat things. They have no need to engineer the YM for a high WR rating like a Submariner because most those boat-lovers don't own a boat for the purpose of flopping over the side into the water with air tanks on their back. Rolex calls it a "Yacht Master" because it sounds better than a "Boat Master", just like "Submariner" sounds better than calling it the Rolex "Frogman".

Why you think people who like boats automatically have less knowledge about watches than those who dive or wannabes who only pretend to, beats me.
Old 8 January 2015, 09:00 AM   #115
Catyack
Banned

Quote:
The Yacht-Master by its very nature is a blinged out Submariner that is less robust. I am not saying that all Rolex tool watches get used for their intended purposes, but the Yacht-Master does not even pretend to.
It's intended design is for boat-loving people who stay on the boat, and yet is perfectly fine for swimming, snorkeling, and your average shallow dives. The YM is rated to 100m, and 99% of Sub owners will never have their watches more than 100m underwater either, so where is the pretending really happening? And the term "tool" watch is a vague, frequently mis-applied term that has been rendered mostly meaningless through misuse, like you're doing here. And of course the YM is blingy, it's supposed to be by design. Cruising around on a private yacht is a blingy activity. Don't hate yachts or YMs just because they're beautiful.
Old 8 January 2015, 10:23 AM   #116
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Love the new blue YM..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 11:03 AM   #117
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
I'm keen for the blue dial version.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 11:10 AM   #118
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catyack View Post
It's intended design is for boat-loving people who stay on the boat, and yet is perfectly fine for swimming, snorkeling, and your average shallow dives. The YM is rated to 100m, and 99% of Sub owners will never have their watches more than 100m underwater either, so where is the pretending really happening? And the term "tool" watch is a vague, frequently mis-applied term that has been rendered mostly meaningless through misuse, like you're doing here. And of course the YM is blingy, it's supposed to be by design. Cruising around on a private yacht is a blingy activity. Don't hate yachts or YMs just because they're beautiful.
Not all of us like the rapper aesthetic.

You do understand that someone can engage in a hobby that costs a lot of money and still dislike blinginess, right? There's a reason the IWC Portuguese remains so popular among people who do yachting.

The YM series is divisive even among people who like nautical watches. I say this as just such a person.
Old 8 January 2015, 11:10 AM   #119
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catyack View Post
Not all of us like the rapper aesthetic.

You do understand that someone can engage in a hobby that costs a lot of money and still dislike blinginess, right? There's a reason the IWC Portuguese remains so popular among people who do yachting.

The YM series is divisive even among people who like nautical watches. I say this as just such a person.
Old 8 January 2015, 11:41 AM   #120
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Boat Master

PClub # 10