The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2017, 04:56 AM   #91
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
That's cold!
Not cold, but a lowball. Brazil crises is related to corruption. Saying that means that I may be a corrupted person. But iam not from goverment or have any business with it, besides paying all my taxes as anyone should do. And by the way Brazilian authorities is investigating that deep, more than 160 people including the two biggest business men in Brazil are in jail right now. Politicians are in jail as well. And its not finished, this is simple the biggest corruption case in history and we, the decent people from Brazil is proud of what is happening. Many coutries hide problems like that, we used to be one like that. No more. Sit and watch what is going to happen. This will change out future for a better one. And will serve as example for others one.

Enviado de meu SM-N910C usando Tapatalk
Ouro9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 04:56 AM   #92
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Part of what makes Rolex such a strong company is because their management and leaders have consistently been able to make smart business decisions over time. If there's one company who knows about the industry and how to navigate in it, it has to be Rolex.

All that to say: if raising their prices by 40% was a smart move they would have done it already.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 04:59 AM   #93
behardt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouro9999 View Post
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-pr...ling-analysis/

The article chronicles the steeper than personal income increase of rolex pricing during a time of EXPANSION and INCREASING demand in the swiss luxury watch market from the 1980s through around 2014. The market is currently CONTRACTING as the demand is REDUCING. That is the difference.

Many speculate that one of the driving factors of the current reduction in demand is the extreme pricing increases over the last period of years.

In a time where the demand and subsequent sales are decreasing, when some models are in demand, but most (that ADs are forced to buy) are sitting in the cases for extended periods of time would a price increase make sense?

Also, it would put them in a price range of more hand made watches where I think they would have great difficulty competing. I think they are already at about the top of their price range for what they are. I also belief they are the top overall seller in their market because they know the industry and their market and customer base EXTREMELY well.

In answer to your original question, I believe a 40% increase across the board would be complete company/brand suicide.
Old 5 February 2017, 05:06 AM   #94
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
How can people be agreeing with this! All people moan about are the extortionate mark up prices grey market sellers have watches like the Daytona ceramic up for. Why don't people pay these prices instead of putting their name down on waiting lists then if a 40 percent mark up is perfectly reasonable and they will be able to have the watch now! Rolex are a prestigious watchmaker but they are not worth another 40 percent premium.
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:07 AM   #95
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Rolex are geared up to build 800k to 1mill watches per year. When they put their prices up, are they going to introduce a two day week at the factory or make a lot of people redundant ??

I am sure AP and PP don't have the same size facilities Rolex do.

Nothing in this point of view holds water imo.

Most people who buy Rolex are Rolex nuts. They just want what is probably to them the best watch money can buy or even think that Breitling or omega are on a par with Rolex. Put the price up by 40% and they will buy from another brand simple as.

You can't buy most of the most popular models off the shelf anyway, but I suppose if you put the prices up that much you just might be able to get them easier. Which would make them less desirable in some people's minds !!!!
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:09 AM   #96
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I would enjoy a 40% increase in quality control and customer service.
Old 5 February 2017, 05:10 AM   #97
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Perhaps this is the reason iam not the Rolex CEO, but in short I think they should raise their prices, to cover the loose of number of total sales per year. Smaller demand, shorter supply, higher prices. If its true that there is a crises in watch industry I think Rolex will survive any how, and there will be less competition for the brand, that will mean higher prices in a very close future.

Have you ever taken an economics class? Actually, let me rephrase that, have you ever passed an economics class?
Old 5 February 2017, 05:16 AM   #98
speedmaster73
Banned

When Rolex makes a watch 40% better and than cuts production by 40% to make more exclusive I might consider...

until than its getting harder and harder to justify Rolex prices when compared to the quality Omega and GS put out at a cheaper price point **arguably better quality watches, movements etc***

Rolex has lived off the 'name' for years...raising prices 40% would expose them as no where close to 'haute horology' territory......

as good as the rolex 3135 is......its really a high end ETA 2824 made by Rolex as opposed to ETA........

Rolex is 'maxxed' out imo in what prices they can charge....
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:16 AM   #99
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Most people who buy Rolex are Rolex nuts. They just want what is probably to them the best watch money can buy or even think that Breitling or omega are on a par with Rolex. Put the price up by 40% and they will buy from another brand simple as.
Bingo^^^ There are alot of fine watches built every bit as good and have a impressive horological past as Rolex. We watch enthusiast are not searching for a status symbol on our arm. Raise the price of Rolex and you will alienate many of us enthusiast. A false inflation to gain exclusivity will only attract status buyers looking for something shiny on their wrist.
Old 5 February 2017, 05:20 AM   #100
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
Have you ever taken an economics class? Actually, let me rephrase that, have you ever passed an economics class?
I was born and live in a very poor country. I have never passed the economic class, most of our people makes their lives by sweat not degrees. And with my sweat I could for sure pay the extra 40% for a Rolex if the price ever increases.

Old 5 February 2017, 05:21 AM   #101
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

If they did that I would sell off my wg blro immediately and cash out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:23 AM   #102
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This reminds me of a wyclef song...goes something like this.

If I was president, I'd get elected on Friday, assassinated on Saturday,
and buried on Sunday.

GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:24 AM   #103
johneh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was born and live in a very poor country. I have never passed the economic class, most of our people makes their lives by sweat not degrees. And with my sweat I could for sure pay the extra 40% for a Rolex if the price ever increases.

That explains your complete lack of understanding on why this would be an absolute nightmare for Rolex.
Old 5 February 2017, 05:28 AM   #104
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That explains your complete lack of understanding on why this would be an absolute nightmare for Rolex.
Obrigado pelo elogio!

Old 5 February 2017, 05:29 AM   #105
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Perhaps this is the reason iam not the Rolex CEO, but in short I think they should raise their prices, to cover the loose of number of total sales per year. Smaller demand, shorter supply, higher prices. If its true that there is a crises in watch industry I think Rolex will survive any how, and there will be less competition for the brand, that will mean higher prices in a very close future.

With your logic, to raise prices to cover their losses/loss of number of total sales per year would drive that loss even further because it becomes even more expensive. Thus your logic is illogical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:29 AM   #106
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
How many $10500(U.S) subC s do you think they could sell? As compared to a fifty fanthoms or a Cartier diver.
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:30 AM   #107
johneh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Obrigado pelo elogio!

Not a compliment.
Old 5 February 2017, 05:31 AM   #108
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I know people get excited when they buy their first Rolex or two, but, no, Rolex is not in the same league as the big 3 of haute horology and shouldn't be priced as such. Comparatively speaking, Rolex is affordable luxury and a mid-tier brand, and the prices have already outran inflation by a ridiculous margin.

Going out and buying a Rolex is like buying a nice Mercedes. Great car, but it's no Bentley.

100% agree
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:33 AM   #109
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Rolex has been in business for 102 years. It has survived World War II, worldwide depressions, out of control inflation, the quartz watch wave and much more. It is one of the most recognizable and prestigious brands on the planet run by some very, very smart and sophisticated business people.

If Swiss watch sales are in a lull, raising prices is economic suicide. I'm surprised this thread is interesting to so many people. I think it shows a complete lack of business understanding and market strategies. I have a few other words but I will be polite.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:37 AM   #110
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not a compliment.
Sorry my bad, dificult to understand highly educated people.

Old 5 February 2017, 05:39 AM   #111
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Is it happy hour in Brazil ?
Old 5 February 2017, 05:40 AM   #112
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Rolex has been in business for 102 years. It has survived World War II, worldwide depressions, out of control inflation, the quartz watch wave and much more. It is one of the most recognizable and prestigious brands on the planet run by some very, very smart and sophisticated business people.

If Swiss watch sales are in a lull, raising prices is economic suicide. I'm surprised this thread is interesting to so many people. I think it shows a complete lack of business understanding and market strategies. I have a few other words but I will be polite.

^^^^^ this
Old 5 February 2017, 05:42 AM   #113
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Rolex is the ultimate watch. They will sell at any price.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:42 AM   #114
johneh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry my bad, dificult to understand highly educated people.

Apparently...You seem to be really struggling with the fact that this is a terrible idea despite many good points in previous posts explaining this to you.
Old 5 February 2017, 05:47 AM   #115
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 05:54 AM   #116
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
I'm trying to figure out if this is tongue in cheek or not
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 06:03 AM   #117
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Guys, Rolex may not raise prices from Friday to Monday as the OP suggests. Also i would not personally consider this a smart move.
However, there has been such an increase in the past few years incrementally. Rolex is an expert in marketing and the supply-demand game. Their supply is always close to an equilibrium point although it seems it is marginally below demand on quite a few models. So they have made sure there is at no point excessive supply (at least as far as certain SS sports models are concerned). BLNR and LV, Deep Blue are some of those.
I do not know if demand will decrease by a sudden 40 percent increase in MSRP (most probably will if supply remains the same) nor can anyone foresee the full consequences of such a decision. However, look at the Daytona C. Shortness of supply has led to premiums in excess of 40 percent. Not because Rolex decided so but because the market has. So the OP, albeit heretic, he has a point.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 06:08 AM   #118
exador
Banned

One Swiss watch company is bucking the trend and reducing prices.
This bad boy is going to retail for around $5K USD when it goes on sale next month.
Compare that to $15K for a Daytona on the grey market. Watch out Rolex...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (180.1 KB, 193 views)
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 06:11 AM   #119
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
More elitist crap
Old 5 February 2017, 06:12 AM   #120
aridim1
"TRF" Member

Thank god you're not Rolex CEO.
aridim1 is offline   Reply With Quote