The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 August 2020, 03:21 PM   #91
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBrian View Post
If the price of gold continues to increase you might be able to sell your gold Rolex to a "scrapper" (who will melt the gold down) and turn a profit. Sad but may be true one day.
This would take a pretty extreme appreciation in gold to be true. There have been many forum posts analyzing the value of gold in gold Rolexes and they all conclude it's a very small proportion of the incremental retail cost over SS.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 04:00 PM   #92
Ihatecheese
Banned

I feel ostentatious watches will become less popular in the current climate (in the west)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 05:23 PM   #93
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
As someone said this guy lives in miami, this isn't a global fact, even in the whole of the US.

prices of pm metals have risen but they will not be selling for over retail forever is what i tink.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:32 AM   #94
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tie219 View Post
I live in Houston too and only know of Zadok in our area and they're not a boutique. I think one opened up in Dallas recently.

Yes, Zadok is the place for AP and several other brands. The manager told me they are reorganizing the store and will be building boutiques for several brands inside the shop, i don’t remember which ones but I’m pretty sure he said AP and IWC, and a couple others. I don’t think that turns it into an official AP boutique but sounds like they are trying to make individualized/personalized buying experiences for certain brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:41 AM   #95
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

I think it’s just part of availability. These YouTuber stars love making videos and buy Rolex for the friends and team. They walk in, drunk and high to the AD and grab some datejust and whatever they have sitting around with no insight to the pieces. Since there is no SS, they just buy.

As far as the macro economy goes, we have some issues but gold Rolex aren’t being looked at as an investment buy in any of my circles. They are just great watches and if you can afford it, PM is amazing by Rolex.

The numbers aren’t showing some huge depression/collapse we may hear about. We were due for a healthy correction before covid-19.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:51 AM   #96
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet

Damn right it is.
Old 3 August 2020, 01:59 AM   #97
hgb4529
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO, Nautilus, GMT
Thanks, envuks! Yes, with the DD. I count total AGW (actual gold weight). I removed the movement and weighted the case and bracelet and I measured 4.87 ounces of 18k gold. Adjusting for the sapphire and gold conversion, I arrived at 3.6 ounces of AGW for a total of 45.85 ounces total.
hgb4529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:12 AM   #98
hgb4529
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO, Nautilus, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
This would take a pretty extreme appreciation in gold to be true. There have been many forum posts analyzing the value of gold in gold Rolexes and they all conclude it's a very small proportion of the incremental retail cost over SS.
I disagree with all the forum hearsay. I've actually taken apart (removed the movement) my six digit gold Day-Date and I found there to be a significant amount of Actual Gold Weight (AGW or 24k gold) in these watches relative to their secondary market prices. I've calculated that gold needs to increase to $3,300 per ounce for me to break even on my acquisition cost (for comparison steel costs only 2-3 cents per ounce). On the surface, $3.3k/oz sounds like a lot, but any gold bug out there who's done his/her research knows that with the US' unprecedented quantitative easing and debt levels, that the true equilibrium gold price should reach multiples of where it trades today. Many financial analysts think $5k/oz is a conservative estimate.
hgb4529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:28 AM   #99
kearez
"TRF" Member

I agree with a lot of points here. I went to a high end mall yesterday, lines out side of Gucci and LV to get in. All people in their 20s. People making more than there jobs with COVID support, will to splash it on luxury goods.

Social media has a huge play on this has well. People want to post on instagram, with a LV/ channel purse, Louboutin. To get the gratification of people liking and posting “slay queen”.

To the point on people walking into an AD getting greeted by their first name, who knows. My guess is either earned that cash with a high end job doctor,lawyer,finance etc. Or their parents had a lot of cash, and let them spend what they want. Seen it before guy was spending 16K a month on his CC. Parents would just pay it off and say keep it under 20 please.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:48 AM   #100
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheronsgrief View Post
One of the TS on here. It has no box and papers and was missing one link on the bracelet, neither of which matter to me. It was about 5k less than the next best deal, so I couldn’t justify spending that for a link I won’t use and a box. It’s been my grail forever so I snapped it up quickly, I think it was only listed for an hour or two!

Interesting. I just looked back at all the listings here and didn’t find any with missing box and papers, missing link or anywhere even near below 30k.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:50 AM   #101
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Guys,

Just wanted to put it out there but I've been into gold for a long long time now. I never bought into this SS Hype at all.

Whats funny is that now I am seeing gold Rolex's/APs/Pateks all soaring. I thought I was imagining this until I saw Eric's new video. The grays dealers I deal with have been telling me this also but more and more people are saying this now and then I just Erics video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxzC5hPE5TQ

I really hope the hype and craziness doesn't move into gold as it would make it just that much more expensive. I just bought a 116618LB for a very very good price but looking at prices now RG Skydwellers, DD40s and DD41s and full gold GMTs/Subs they are all increasing and they seem to be flying off the shelves.

Doesn't make sense to me where is all this money coming from? Just yesterday GDP down 33%. Thats crazy.

Oh well I'm just praying we dont see gold Rolex's at double MSRP. That would kill my wallet.
yup im with you. kinda wish i bought a few pieces when i had the chance.
ah well
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:51 AM   #102
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post

Damn right it is.
that's the one right there !!!!
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:47 AM   #103
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Unless you are going to melt down your watch into ingots or bullion what it's made of hardly matters. What's more valuable, a solid gold Bulova or a SS Patek? The gold itself in most watches is of negligible value compared to the upcharge for the PM. It's just another way to make money for the Swiss watch makers who upcharge 10X what the PM costs them. The reason SS is so popular is because people don't want to be played as suckers.(full disclosure....I have a hand full of gold or partial gold Rolex and Patek but that is because I am a bit of a lemming)
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:09 AM   #104
peterpl
Banned

Stumbled across my old thread checking out prices as I am in the market now for a full RG Daytona or a GMT Meteorite dial. WTF is going on with PM watches. They have increased heaps more again.

I posted this thread back in July. Its gotten HEAPS worse since then. Something has got to give doesnt it? Or are we all expecting all PM to go to $60k each? LOL

DD40 YG are now like $38k
DD40 RG are now $40k+
116618LB Bluesy are now $38-39k
RG Daytona are now $42k+
RG Skydweller on Bracelet is $55k
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:14 AM   #105
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I don't think it has much to do with Gold. It is the hype cascading down to virtually any watch with Rolex on the dial.

These things could be made of petrified goat crap and people would buy it if it said Rolex on it.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:44 AM   #106
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I don't think it has much to do with Gold. It is the hype cascading down to virtually any watch with Rolex on the dial.

These things could be made of petrified goat crap and people would buy it if it said Rolex on it.

Ha. That’s one way to put it. I also think folks are realizing that the jump from SS at grey prices to PM at AD prices - assuming you can get your hands on them - isn’t as steep as they thought.

HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 11:38 AM   #107
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stumbled across my old thread checking out prices as I am in the market now for a full RG Daytona or a GMT Meteorite dial. WTF is going on with PM watches. They have increased heaps more again.

I posted this thread back in July. Its gotten HEAPS worse since then. Something has got to give doesnt it? Or are we all expecting all PM to go to $60k each? LOL

DD40 YG are now like $38k
DD40 RG are now $40k+
116618LB Bluesy are now $38-39k
RG Daytona are now $42k+
RG Skydweller on Bracelet is $55k
It’s incredible, I bought my RG Daytona full bracelet not much earlier than you started this thread for $28k. Now it’s $40k. It doesn’t feel right but I won’t complain.
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 11:48 AM   #108
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
It’s incredible, I bought my RG Daytona full bracelet not much earlier than you started this thread for $28k. Now it’s $40k. It doesn’t feel right but I won’t complain.
Damn that was a good pickup. I also picked up a 116618LB around the time I started this thread for around $33k BNIB. They are now $39k for a BNIB example.

I'm not complaining either but man I want some new watches!!!! The RG Daytona on full bracelet is approaching $45k now for BNIB examples and I also wanted to pick up the BLRO WG meteorite dial but that has skyrocketed as well.
Old 22 December 2020, 12:19 PM   #109
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I have 4 pm Rolex, two bought these year through a combo increased residential work, and selling vintage Cartier and others brands I wasn’t wearing to get the two PM I wanted; I had to wait a little, it comes, but it isn’t in a week. I have the SS hot models, but, once you try gold, the weight, then steel is for having it in the collection and when you need low key.

I didn’t buy PM because not getting the SS hot models, but because i like
them better. Everyone buys for a different reason.

But yes, you can always cash a Rolex.

Get the PM you like now, they will go up next year, and might have longer waits.

Try them on and you will see what I
mean.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:05 PM   #110
RolexBrian
"TRF" Member

Melt you gold parts into small bars. Dial, bands and all. After January 21st 2021 you will thank me.
RolexBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:22 PM   #111
RolexBrian
"TRF" Member

Also, stock up on coffee, beans, and rice.
RolexBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:31 PM   #112
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBrian View Post
Melt you gold parts into small bars. Dial, bands and all. After January 21st 2021 you will thank me.
Really? gold's down 20% since August.
Every time there's a panic that makes gold the hottest thing, it soon drops back down. Maybe people realize they'd rather invest in other things when they're thinking more clearly.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:46 PM   #113
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltpeter View Post
Really? gold's down 20% since August.
Every time there's a panic that makes gold the hottest thing, it soon drops back down. Maybe people realize they'd rather invest in other things when they're thinking more clearly.

Yup, I have been playing for fun in gold and silver for decades and it’s been “meh” at best. I have made a lot more money in other areas that are just as secure. When it comes to a luxury watch purchases I have been phasing gold out of my collection.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 02:26 PM   #114
peterpl
Banned

I've just came back from my local gray dealer who I buy many watches from. He said he hasnt gotten a RG Daytona in stock since June. He's currently got a RG SkyD which is asking silly money something like $56k USD and he thinks it will sell next week. These where pieces dealers had to hold onto for months and months and now he said he sells all his gold pieces within weeks of getting them.

I've told him his next RG Daytona on bracelet please let me look at it first. Damn problem is when he gets one it will probably mean these have gone up another 2k or so. LOL

He also mentioned that gold is getting more hyped than SS and has been for pretty much entire of 2020. Gold is flying off the shelves. It might go up more with the US getting approval to print what another 1 trillion? LOL
Old 22 December 2020, 03:44 PM   #115
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've just came back from my local gray dealer who I buy many watches from. He said he hasnt gotten a RG Daytona in stock since June. He's currently got a RG SkyD which is asking silly money something like $56k USD and he thinks it will sell next week. These where pieces dealers had to hold onto for months and months and now he said he sells all his gold pieces within weeks of getting them.

I've told him his next RG Daytona on bracelet please let me look at it first. Damn problem is when he gets one it will probably mean these have gone up another 2k or so. LOL

He also mentioned that gold is getting more hyped than SS and has been for pretty much entire of 2020. Gold is flying off the shelves. It might go up more with the US getting approval to print what another 1 trillion? LOL
You won’t regret the RG Daytona, imo it’s the best watch they make and I’ve had many. Finally made me stop wanting more and sold off most of my collection after they couldn’t compare.
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 04:03 PM   #116
Gmt+10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I stopped by a Rolex boutique yesterday to try on a DD40. I was offered 8 percent discount. I tried on a YG silver RN, YG champagne sticks and a RG sundust RN.
Gmt+10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 04:21 PM   #117
ngypheap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Damn that was a good pickup. I also picked up a 116618LB around the time I started this thread for around $33k BNIB. They are now $39k for a BNIB example.

I'm not complaining either but man I want some new watches!!!! The RG Daytona on full bracelet is approaching $45k now for BNIB examples and I also wanted to pick up the BLRO WG meteorite dial but that has skyrocketed as well.

Agreed with u Peter, 116618LB goes up the price but not good for the trade in.,
I checked my 116618LB couples day ago they offered 29K only from a reputable grey dealer.

ngypheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 04:58 PM   #118
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
You won’t regret the RG Daytona, imo it’s the best watch they make and I’ve had many. Finally made me stop wanting more and sold off most of my collection after they couldn’t compare.
I hope I can get one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngypheap View Post
Agreed with u Peter, 116618LB goes up the price but not good for the trade in.,
I checked my 116618LB couples day ago they offered 29K only from a reputable grey dealer.
Dealers are in the game to make money. They will low ball you with any watch not only gold watches. Thats what many ppl dont realise when they try to trade/sell a watch.

Usually add 10-15% margin on all trades so if you got offered $29k for it + 15% margin for the gray he will sell it for around $33k-$34k which is right on the ball figure for a second hand piece. Plus if yours is > 3-4 years old that is also a big factor and you will get less.

Same with SS. The 116610LV is selling for about $17k now. A gray will only offer you $14-$15k for it as well. I just asked last week several of the big ones.

Buying and selling is always a big difference but I'm here to buy and the buy price is getting very high now for gold pieces.
Old 22 December 2020, 05:00 PM   #119
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt+10 View Post
I stopped by a Rolex boutique yesterday to try on a DD40. I was offered 8 percent discount. I tried on a YG silver RN, YG champagne sticks and a RG sundust RN.
Which AD is this? 8% is unheard of these days. Please share as I'm sure many on here that live close will grab it. Or are you another one of those guys with imaginary visits? There were several guys claiming they got offered 15%-20% discounts not long ago and it was all fluff.
Old 22 December 2020, 05:04 PM   #120
7sins
"TRF" Member

the AP RO RG skeleton has skyrocketed, I remember just a few months ago they were $115/120k and now cheapest is $165k. Amazing.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote