The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 10:41 PM   #91
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Neil, this also gave me a chuckle because you know there are plenty of people with high post counts that only post garbage.

You don't say?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:04 PM   #92
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

No one can call the market or the economy as a whole even in a single country, let alone the globe, especially the self described "experts."

That said, looking at history MAY be helpful. However, predicting niche markets like watches or other luxury goods purchased (mostly) with disposable income would lead me to look at individual changes in disposable income.

In the US, it is increasing for most Americans that buy luxury goods. The virus panic is of course affecting Asian country citizens and the ultimate effect is still uncertain, but I assure you that a Hong Kong banker of your choice is still making deals and raking in money, even if he or she won't stroll outside the office or home office to buy a latte at Luckin or Starbucks. It hurts those retailers. As we know, watch retailers aren't dependent on retail visits to sell Rolexes or other high end watches.

And let's never forget the world is full of people that are willing to pay extra to avoid in inconveneience or risk. Every first class section on every flight that I've taken in the last 12 months have been full.There are construction cranes everywhere that I go in the US, even secondary markets. The economy is jet fuel on fire right now and a US-India trade deal will pur gas on that.

Yes, China is a huge market, but so is India.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:05 PM   #93
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Luxury brands want higher prices for image, brand identity, snob factor or whatever. They laugh at these boards when people harp about prices - they're the buyers they don't want. There's a wide world of watches dive in.
There is some truth to this.
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:13 PM   #94
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

is the the grumpy old men thread of the day?
Old 26 February 2020, 12:28 AM   #95
jets
"TRF" Member

Think about it. It’s a luxury watch brand and people constantly act like going to the AD is like being at Costco looking for the deal of the week. It’s my opinion that if the extra grand or whatever for your watch is that big of a deal than maybe watches in this price range shouldn’t be on your radar at all. Rolex has created this ‘shortage’ environment to reduce the possibility for buyers to shop around and get better deals (like in the past) so that once the opportunity is there they’ll have no choice but to pull the trigger buying at full pop. Kind of brilliant.

One of my friends is very careful with his money and when he finally got the call for a sub he called my in a panic about dropping all that coin. I said just go buy it now. You’ll regret not getting it; looking forward to this for months as you have. I said if you change your mind I’ll take it, you won’t lose money. He is still over the moon about the watch. Everyone is happy and no one is starving.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:42 AM   #96
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Well, here's one aficionado, who has no interest at all in any "potential short-term economical upside."

Maybe, "...most of the members here wouldn't be collecting if there wasn't a short term economical upside..., but there was a time when that wasn't so.

I look forward to the day when the speculators move on the next hot thing and leave the board to those who really appreciate the brand and love our watches for the joy they bring us instead of some short-term financial gain.

This board was a lot more fun before the nicknamers and the hustlers dominated.
Could not agree more.
Old 26 February 2020, 01:47 AM   #97
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
Yes, China is a huge market, but so is India.
MMM. If memory serves, China's GDP is about 5 times that of India.
Old 26 February 2020, 02:01 AM   #98
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
Too exhausting
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:46 AM   #99
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
MMM. If memory serves, China's GDP is about 5 times that of India.
Probably true, even with CHina's economy contracting pre-virus while India grows (still a long way to go).

My main point was that there are growing numbers of people with additional disposable income. Luxury goods like Rolex are typically bought by people with disposable income and that population is growing, not shrinking.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:54 AM   #100
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
...Someone from the US just wrote this. It's been downward slope since June 2019. I know there isn't an actual place for knowing the real grey prices, but if you know, then you know, and the prices are set one place in this world by grey dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Think about it. It’s a luxury watch brand and people constantly act like going to the AD is like being at Costco looking for the deal of the week. It’s my opinion that if the extra grand or whatever for your watch is that big of a deal than maybe watches in this price range shouldn’t be on your radar at all. Rolex has created this ‘shortage’ environment to reduce the possibility for buyers to shop around and get better deals (like in the past) so that once the opportunity is there they’ll have no choice but to pull the trigger buying at full pop. Kind of brilliant.

One of my friends is very careful with his money and when he finally got the call for a sub he called my in a panic about dropping all that coin. I said just go buy it now. You’ll regret not getting it; looking forward to this for months as you have. I said if you change your mind I’ll take it, you won’t lose money. He is still over the moon about the watch. Everyone is happy and no one is starving.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo. They also got to control the revenue of the AD. Certain ADs back in the days would only offer -10% off SS whilst others would do -20. Now they all do 0% discount. You'd go to a grey and get yours for -25% as they'd get the top % margin on their watch or find the AD that would.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:59 AM   #101
alika
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
bruh
alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #102
Coolex
Banned

DOW DOWN 1000+ Points so far! Looking good!
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:38 AM   #103
danny1305
"TRF" Member

People celebrating losing a bunch in the stock market just to POSSIBLY get a couple bucks off the price of a watch. What great logic
danny1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:48 AM   #104
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1305 View Post
People celebrating losing a bunch in the stock market just to POSSIBLY get a couple bucks off the price of a watch. What great logic
Depends on your age. If your 40 years old and 25 years away from retirement, its great since your 401K will be buying low. If you're in you're 60's , not so much.

I think a lot of people would just love to see the grays get burned. Remember, pigs get fed, hogs go to slaughter. And they have been quite the hogs.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:52 AM   #105
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
That is what this forum has become, or they wish for more illness around the world.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 08:59 AM   #106
Coolex
Banned

Quote:
Plenty of people with nothing in the market just waiting around for a recession before they jump in.
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:01 AM   #107
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
The three “B”s, balls, brains and a bank roll. That’s what it’s takes to make money. If was was younger with cash, I’d be hoping for 2009 all over again.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:08 AM   #108
smohr33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolex View Post
Plenty of people with nothing in the market just waiting around for a recession before they jump in.
Ah yes, the people with working crystal balls.

A fools game, would hate to share with them the amount they’ve missed out on while waiting.
smohr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:09 PM   #109
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
That is what this forum has become, or they wish for more illness around the world.
Be careful guys, the man will shut this thread down any minute...

Old 26 February 2020, 01:35 PM   #110
Xyza0722
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me go
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Well, here's one aficionado, who has no interest at all in any "potential short-term economical upside."

Maybe, "...most of the members here wouldn't be collecting if there wasn't a short term economical upside..., but there was a time when that wasn't so.

I look forward to the day when the speculators move on the next hot thing and leave the board to those who really appreciate the brand and love our watches for the joy they bring us instead of some short-term financial gain.

This board was a lot more fun before the nicknamers and the hustlers dominated.
+1
Xyza0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 08:11 AM   #111
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
I don't think there is a shortage. I think there has been a massive growth in demand and Rolex has not increased supply.
Due to their business model, not having shareholders to please, they took the long view and knew the good times would come to an end eventually. Selling a million watches a year that sell out is better than the problem Cartier had buying back and destroying stock that wasn't shifting.
Of course they could have changed around which models they made in great number, Daytona over datejust, but where would the long term fun in that be?
If the world economy tanks Rolex will survive quite happily. If Rolex doesn't survive we can look forward to our watches outliving us but with 3d printed parts in them to keep them going.
Enjoy your watches and investments, I hope there different things.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 10:35 AM   #112
spersky
"TRF" Member

Looks like I was ahead of the curve on this one. I just looked at the old posts, and it is interesting and sad to see how the situation has changed in the world economy. Does anyone now think that grey market price will not crash?
spersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 05:48 PM   #113
mjr24
Banned

I don't think it will.....this is REALLY a temporary thing I feel. Yes, temporary may mean a few months.......but it will eventually get under control. I just feel this is different than the housing collapse or 9/11.....

I just don't see people ditching Rolexes for cheaper due to this. Grays will hold on for awhile at current prices....and then I think this coronavirus situation will be less "unknown" and things will get back to normal.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 06:01 PM   #114
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The grey market has been good to me over the years. Sure, Rolex is upside down. That's unusual, not the norm, market wide.

I wouldn't want anyone who has thrown their all into building a business to go bust just to save me a few quid. That's a shitty mentality. But if the current situations burns and kills off opportunistic dabblers who think it is easy, or the sellers whose greed has put them in precarious territory, then the sooner the better. It's just an adjustment. And if you're in the margin you're going to be "adjusted".

I expect the ethical, well established, grey traders will welcome such a clearing out of the amateurs and the revoltingly greedy, as much as anyone.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 07:58 PM   #115
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The grey market has been good to me over the years. Sure, Rolex is upside down. That's unusual, not the norm, market wide.

I wouldn't want anyone who has thrown their all into building a business to go bust just to save me a few quid. That's a shitty mentality. But if the current situations burns and kills off opportunistic dabblers who think it is easy, or the sellers whose greed has put them in precarious territory, then the sooner the better. It's just an adjustment. And if you're in the margin you're going to be "adjusted".

I expect the ethical, well established, grey traders will welcome such a clearing out of the amateurs and the revoltingly greedy, as much as anyone.
Yup
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 08:23 PM   #116
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
You heard it here first ladies and gents...

Lol
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 08:25 PM   #117
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Or maybe the fed injects 1 trillion dollars into the markets and nothing happens!