The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: My Rolex....
I HATE to bastardize it 139 79.89%
I LOVE to bastardize it 35 20.11%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 11:46 AM   #91
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Rolex Factory all the way!!!!!

:r ead:
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
Old 28 September 2008, 11:54 AM   #92
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
I voted Hate,Hate,Hate,Hate!!!!
Old 28 September 2008, 11:58 AM   #93
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Who 'loves to bastardise'.

The names Bond, James Bond.

Old 28 September 2008, 12:18 PM   #94
jmsrolls
Banned

I would never "bastardize" any watch but I have customized several including my EXPII:

The Cyclops was a "deal killer" for me. I would never have bought it were the "bubble" not removable.

Fr. John+
Old 28 September 2008, 12:27 PM   #95
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I hate it. The only thing I can understand is replacing the bracelet with a leather band, a NATO Strap, or a rubber band.

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
Old 28 September 2008, 12:41 PM   #96
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Thanks for all your opinions, guys.....appreciated and taken in good spirit.

I did warn myself that I would wind up in the line of fire.....but, in all sincerity, I do love the brand too much and hate to see it being descicrated in any way.

What you guys do with your Rollies is of course none of my business; but seeing it being done, just unnerves me. Sorry....but that's just me.

I don't think I'm going to be very popular after this one, uh?

Cheers - JJ

Nahhh, you're still my favorite WIS New Zealander! I'll hoist a cold one with you any time.
Old 28 September 2008, 12:53 PM   #97
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenring View Post
Nahhh, you're still my favorite WIS New Zealander! I'll hoist a cold one with you any time.
And back at ya, Stan!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 28 September 2008, 12:57 PM   #98
Time Traveller

I do not like diamonds on a watch, so I would never change my watch by adding them to it. I do change straps on my watches though.
Old 28 September 2008, 12:59 PM   #99
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

I think there should be an "Indifferent" option. I voted LOVE to bastardize it because I lean that way more than HATING to bastardize it. I havn't personally made any modifications to any of my Rollies at all, because I don't see the need too. I like them just the way they are. That said however, i've seen pictures of SS Submariners with a NATO strap which I think looks amazing, and somebody else had a SS GMT-IIc on a BOND NATO which I also thought looked great. So while I don't really LOVE modifying my rolex, I wouldn't hesitate to change something if something caught my eye.

Your car example is bad too, because i've never owned a car or truck that I havn't moded :) I've owned everything from Toyotas, to BMWs and Porsches, and I always replace stuff that i'm not 100% happy with. Usually wheels/springs/gearshifters/intakes/pedals at the absolute minimum.

I think customization shows a lot about someone's personality. I've seen good work and bad, both with watches and cars. No big deal either way to me :)
Old 28 September 2008, 01:24 PM   #100
steel4me
Banned

It is called Customization, ma man ... ever since man has walked the earth, he is custmoizing whatever he can .... his tools, his posessions, his wives ... etc etc .... yes I am not for cutomizations of rolex watches and all straps and other crap people put on them makes me wanna throw up ....

customization or bastardization .. .same thing ...
Old 28 September 2008, 01:45 PM   #101
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
There's no accounting for taste... You, of all people, should know that JJ. I say modify away... no sweat off my brow. When developing a product, you gotta change it if you want to improve it. Nothing's sacred and some notions, doomed to failure. Regardless, when the boss says he wants your widget to make cappuchinos as well as charge the battery, you bastardize your elegant design in an effort to perhaps improve it. If you guys want to modify your Rolexes, I say go for it. That doesn't mean I would like or do the same to mine.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Old 28 September 2008, 01:51 PM   #102
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
kinda' been wanting to put my blue faced cosc air-king on a silky/soft "james bond" nato strap - raf pattern.
Old 28 September 2008, 02:40 PM   #103
Otto

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Hi guys,

It really hurts me when I have to read how some members have gone and bastardized their beautiful Rollies with aftermarket bracelets, bezels, cheap looking diamonds, nylon straps and what have you.

I have a simple question of all of you:

Would you buy a brand new car and then take it round the corner to the nearest fly-by-night garage and start replacing all its original accessories with some cheap crap?

Why can't we just leave our Rollies as they are meant to be from the Rolex factory in Geneva?

Why spoil and descicrate a beautiful work of art with cheap concoctions?

So, okay, some of you might say: It's our watch, we can do whatever the hell we like with it.

Sure, go ahead, but do some of us really want to KNOW about it?

Rant over, guys. Fire away!!

Cheers - JJ

Though I don't agree with the hyperbole in your message; I do tend to agree with the notion that some modifications, especially with aftermarket parts, sometimes tend to create a "not quite right" Rolex watch. Nonetheless, if done well, sometimes the result is just enough to enhance and not enough to detract or make the watch look like a fake/replica. It' a personal decision and, as you know, beauty is generally in the eye of the beholder,
Old 28 September 2008, 03:09 PM   #104
superman

Quote:
Welcome to TRF, pal. Don't worry, this is a one off post. You'll get to know me better if you do decide to stick around....which I hope you do!!

This is the BEST forum on the internet and it's the kind of forum that'll grow on you. Stick around, pal....you'll love it here.

Cheers - JJ

believe this guy when he says its the best forum! personally i wont. but hey again its thy watch.. do whatever... everybody in this forum will be happy for ya!

CLARK
Old 28 September 2008, 06:01 PM   #105
jdc
"TRF" Member

The only thing that needs bastardization is the plonker who keeps reviving these bloody polls
Old 28 September 2008, 07:26 PM   #106
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
Answer of your question is ofcourse NO!!! Always original is best if there must be a change it must be original update too, ohhh ohh would I take my like-brand new BMW round the corner to the nearest fly-by-night garage and start replacing all its original accessories with some cheap crap? Ofcourse no it's still like left just now the BMW AG factory in Munich

awesome e36. I own a red vert and always associate this model to BMW racing. The E30 M3 is what really started it all but the E36 is very much the beginning of the modern BMW.

Oh yeah as for Nato Bands, they may cost $15 dollars but that doesn't make them cheap, at least not the good ones. And besides, what if Rolex decided to make em and sell em for $300. Would you buy one? To each their own. As for me, I've gone back to my factory steel bands because the feel is the best there is. Nothing beats factory.
Old 28 September 2008, 09:04 PM   #107
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Changing out the band is not bastardization in my judgement. As seen here, a leather strap or a nylon strap can add a whole new dimension to the watch. There are those who are less concerned with looks than they are with comfort and I do know people who can't deal with a bracelet.

However, when you buy something it is yours and you can do with it what you want, even if it means that Rolex will never touch it again.

If you're cool with that, do what you want to your Rolex.

It's those blinged out Casio G-Shocks that get my goat.

http://www.tvjohnny.net/diamond-watc...c-106_198.html

But, as for loving or hating to do it to my watch, I had to vote that I hate it, because I wan't my Rolex to be Rolex all the way.
Old 28 September 2008, 09:47 PM   #108
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Bo,

Not sure how to take your post (I'm sure you're joking) but folks that modify their Rolex can do what they want, I feel that JJ's original post is putting down folks that modify their Rollies.

Like I've said before, if they want to modify it, fine. It's not like they're shoving it down people's throat and say "take it".

Best,

Vernon
x2 I can't agree more. So JJ is on a crusade against natos since begining of time. It is not in anyway dignified behaviour trying to put down other members of this forum who happends to have some other opinion.

Old 28 September 2008, 09:56 PM   #109
Erix
"TRF" Member

Bastardise. To strong a word in my taste and not fitting for this friendly forum.

Old 28 September 2008, 09:58 PM   #110
Erix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Better a "flipper" than a "rapist", Mikey!!
Kinda strong words to use in a friendly forum isn't it ?

Old 28 September 2008, 10:03 PM   #111
Erix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opava5 View Post
Kind of disappointing to hear someone be so crass towards other people's personal decisions. I know I'm new here, but I hope this is not what this forum is about. The opinion, while everyone is entitled to one, seemed a little snobbish. Nothing personal, just a little surprised by the post...
x2

Old 28 September 2008, 10:04 PM   #112
Erix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
Dont think we need this kind of post

Not sure what purpose it serves
x2

Old 28 September 2008, 10:44 PM   #113
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I am not surprised that JJ's post polarized people on this forum. We are a diverse group which is what makes this forum work.

I am a coin collector and it really disturbs me that someone would take a very nice uncirculated and rare coin dips it to make it "better". As a collector for over 35 years, it it should bother me. But it's not my coin and the owner can do as he wishes with it. However when he puts it up for sale and then doesn't mention his alterations in an attempt to deceive the buyer into thinking the coin is better than it is, then my indignation has roots.

In my never to be humble opinion, it's your Rollie. You spent hard earned cash for it so enjoy it in whatever way you wish. Make it yours! And share it with us as I enjoy seeing all of them regardless whether they have been modified or not.

JJ see's Rollies as art. I do understand his position. Some see them as superb feats of engineering and have no problem with making them "better". I like that also. I think most Rolex collector / owners like seeing Rollies regardless! Just post lots of pics!

Being different is what makes this an interesting place to spend time. I am most certainly glad that everyone is not like me. What a boring world that would be!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Old 29 September 2008, 01:20 AM   #114
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Bastardize (def) To change something so that it's value declines. By definition, I think the word is not applicable to a simple strap change or other minor modifications. For instance, my Z series 16710 was offered from Rolex only with the Oyster fliplock bracelet. If I choose to put a Jubilee bracelet on it have I reduced the value? I think not, but according to this thread it would be bastardized. Just not the word I would have used here but I understand JJ's passion.

Old 29 September 2008, 01:29 AM   #115
steel4me
Banned

You go JJ!! Excellent word choice!!!

I LOVE IT ....
Old 29 September 2008, 02:31 AM   #116
Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by opava5 View Post
Kind of disappointing to hear someone be so crass towards other people's personal decisions. I know I'm new here, but I hope this is not what this forum is about. The opinion, while everyone is entitled to one, seemed a little snobbish. Nothing personal, just a little surprised by the post...
Welcome, and I agree with you. This thread reminds of the other forum I left for the same reason.
Old 29 September 2008, 02:38 AM   #117
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hey guys,

Don't look at me......I'm not the one who revived this old thread!!

I just gave my opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with it.....well, that's your choice. What you do with your OWN Rolex is also your choice.

It's a free world and I just spoke out what I truly feel.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 29 September 2008, 02:41 AM   #118
jdc
"TRF" Member

In all fairness to JJ this is a very old thread that has been revived. JJ has a sense of fun, his post should be viewed in this way and not over anaylsed or taken too seriously
Old 29 September 2008, 02:42 AM   #119
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
In all fairness to JJ this is a very old thread that has been revived. JJ has a sense of fun, his post should be viewed in this way and not over anaylsed or taken too seriously
Exactly!! Thanks, Martin.......and in all fairness, I've give all members a clear cut option of LOVE IT or HATE IT. So......

JJ

Old 29 September 2008, 02:43 AM   #120
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Never forget JJ is old too, so with his memory this is a fresh thread.

Maybe he have change opinion since then too.

Jocke

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Closed Thread