The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2019, 12:30 AM   #91
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
Quote:
Originally Posted by zutmonroi View Post
From my point of view, Merkaholic behaved like a customer on a Bangkok street market so the AD acted like a salesman on a Bangkok street market.

You just got the reaction you deserved.

No offense
Go take a lesson in English and than read my post again and digest.

No offence intended.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:36 AM   #92
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

I have no problem with what ADs are doing, BUT I do think they should be up front about it.

If you can only sell limited quantity SS sports pieces to people who buy other watches just say that. Most people will understand.

Don't tell someone you don't have anything, and then say you do when they inquire about buying a PM piece. That type of behavior would completely turn me off.

Honesty is always the best policy. I will always respect an AD for being honest about in-demand pieces.
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:37 AM   #93
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
I have no problem with what ADs are doing, BUT I do think they should be up front about it.

If you can only sell limited quantity SS sports pieces to people who buy other watches just say that. Most people will understand.

Don't tell someone you don't have anything, and then say you do when they inquire about buying a PM piece. That type of behavior would completely turn me off.

Honesty is always the best policy. I will always respect an AD for being honest about in-demand pieces.
You have hit the nail on the head.

Old 4 May 2019, 12:39 AM   #94
shortsqueeze
2024 Pledge Member

I am aware of quite a few ADs that keep professional watches in the safe because they don't want them going to flippers off the street. They'll gladly sell to a local non-flipper without any of this bundling nonsense.

There are two types of ADs in this market the way I see it. One that is trying to benefit in the short term to the detriment of their local and long-term clients by bundling and selling to grays. These ADs have no interest in building long-term relationships. They're out for the quick buck.

Then there are the ones that operate with integrity and play the long game. They sell to their local and long-term customers of all manner of means, allocating desirable models in whatever method they think is most fair.

The latter are out there ladies and gentlemen, you just need to find them.
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:43 AM   #95
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Last week i went into a ad and made a very similar enquiry. The sa sat me down and offered to take my details with assurances that i will have a sub within 6-9 months. He also emailed me a confirmation. He went one step further and assured me that we don't operate a bundle policy.

Old 4 May 2019, 12:56 AM   #96
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
Last week i went into a ad and made a very similar enquiry. The sa sat me down and offered to take my details with assurances that i will have a sub within 6-9 months. He also emailed me a confirmation. He went one step further and assured me that we don't operate a bundle policy.

Wait...what's this thread all about then?

You had already found an AD that will accommodate you to your liking, but you then went to a different AD?

Then when that AD didn't act like you wanted them to, you posted a thread on Rolexforums to tell us all about it...

Why?

Why not just move forward with prior AD and wait for your Sub to arrive, without bundling, in 6-9 months?

Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:57 AM   #97
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Its hard to be an AD nowadays. Nothing they can do to satisfy the customer. They are being squeezed by Rolex and the customers. Sadly, no end in site.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:59 AM   #98
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

You had already found an AD that will accommodate you to your liking, but you then went to a different AD?

Then when that AD didn't act like you wanted them to, you posted a thread on Rolexforums to tell us all about it...

Why?

Why not just move forward with prior AD and wait for your Sub to arrive, without bundling, in 6-9 months?

Good point. Was wondering the same.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:59 AM   #99
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why?

So you have never been into more than one ad???

I suggest you get in the real world.

Btw try reading the op again and digest it before making thoughtless claims.

Old 4 May 2019, 01:05 AM   #100
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Please tell the AD who wants to bundle you to stick the watch where the sun does not shine.
One day when this bubble is over, they will regret their tactics.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:06 AM   #101
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So you have never been into more than one ad???

I suggest you get in the real world.

Btw try reading the op again and digest it before making thoughtless claims.

I've seen all I need to see...you already had a "drama free" option to obtain the watch but you didn't do it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:07 AM   #102
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Please tell the AD who wants to bundle you to stick the watch where the sun does not shine.

One day when this bubble is over, they will regret their tactics.
I said it with plenty of diplomacy lol

Old 4 May 2019, 01:07 AM   #103
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd Merk dem man dem, man.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:09 AM   #104
cbiggs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22 View Post
Yep. I know it’s frustrating, but you have to consider that every day most ADs field multiple cold calls and multiple random walk-ins from people all wanting the same thing. From what I have observed and have had described to me by my SA, 1/3 of the inquiries for SS involve poor social skills with the first word uttered being “STAINLESS STEEL”. Or they are the “benefactors of the shenanigans the OP pulled. While the OPs story started out cordial, it certainly did not end well. Wasting the SAs time with watches that you don’t have the capacity or willingness to buy just to gain perceived power or throwing grey dealers in their face is just as wrong as what they are doing.

If I had a retail distribution business where I was at the mercy of my manufacturer with these supply issues, I would:

1. Do everything I can to keep my current, valuable, and big spending customers happy
2. Find ways to maximize each sale BOTH in terms of dollars and relationship to turn a bad situation into something positive
3. Find ways not to business with entitled jerks.

Sorry for the rant. I am not trying to preach but we forget that the ADs and their SA’s are people as well. In the SA’s case, many are overworked and underpaid (retail sucks).

I am new to the game and feel fortunate that I have the perspective and patience to let my quest play out in due time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like your mentality and think that many here can learn a lot from it.

Hello from Chicago
cbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:12 AM   #105
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've seen all I need to see...you already had a "drama free" option to obtain the watch but you didn't do it.
Not sure i really follow your point........as previously mentioned, go read the op and digest it before passing thoughtless judgements

Old 4 May 2019, 01:16 AM   #106
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Meanwhile....shortly after your departure, another person arrived and more than likely purchased whatever Rolex bundle the AD steered them towards with no effort at all...

That's why the AD do this..because the general market and high rollers alike accept it and it works out just fine. Sure, they get the occasional WIS who shows up to kick a stink, but overall it is a very successful strategy.

So in other words, if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.
That's pretty much it. There are plenty of high rollers and so forth out there that carry sufficient weight and buying power to meet AD targets etc. which is sadly unfortunate for the WIS. I also seriously doubt that 'official policy' has any real part to play!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #107
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22 View Post
Yep. I know it’s frustrating, but you have to consider that every day most ADs field multiple cold calls and multiple random walk-ins from people all wanting the same thing. From what I have observed and have had described to me by my SA, 1/3 of the inquiries for SS involve poor social skills with the first word uttered being “STAINLESS STEEL”. Or they are the “benefactors of the shenanigans the OP pulled. While the OPs story started out cordial, it certainly did not end well. Wasting the SAs time with watches that you don’t have the capacity or willingness to buy just to gain perceived power or throwing grey dealers in their face is just as wrong as what they are doing.

If I had a retail distribution business where I was at the mercy of my manufacturer with these supply issues, I would:

1. Do everything I can to keep my current, valuable, and big spending customers happy
2. Find ways to maximize each sale BOTH in terms of dollars and relationship to turn a bad situation into something positive
3. Find ways not to business with entitled jerks.

Sorry for the rant. I am not trying to preach but we forget that the ADs and their SA’s are people as well. In the SA’s case, many are overworked and underpaid (retail sucks).

I am new to the game and feel fortunate that I have the perspective and patience to let my quest play out in due time.

I get the part about the SAs being frustrated with getting hit with the same question dozens of times everyday. But I do not agree that it's all the retail consumer's fault. Not everyone is up to speed on the current Rolex "shortage". Most people simply decide one day they want a Rolex or have just been able to money wise buy a Rolex. If by chance that Rolex is not a "Stainless" model then there's no issue they walk in try on what they want and walk out with a watch and being none the wiser of whats going on. If however they should want a "Stainless" sport model then they will more than likely and unknowingly walk into a buzz saw.

A simple solution would be to post a nice sign on the door that they are out of stock on all "Stainless Sport Models". That would cut down on the drive by buyers. It makes sense since they are never going to sell a hot watch to a walk in anyway. Those watches are sold via a phone call. And not many people are going to buy a YG watch for 37K just to buy a 12K stainless watch. It will cut down on the rudness level also I believe from the SAs since they will be less hasselled.

The way I read the OPs post is that he went into a store asked for a sport model and was rudely told none in stock and was redirected to a PM watch. So the deterioration in the encounter was started by the SA not the OP. Once he showed interest in the PM watch a "Stainless" watch was magically in stock. Kind of unethical. It's the Rude part that is the problem. I've experienced it and it seems to be more and more common. I don't think it is beneficial to the Store owner, to Rolex or to the consumer.

I think the ADs should be upfront and say our policy is only to sell these watches in a combo deal to customers they don't know. If you tell a customer due to a shortage its now the policy, I think they will get less offended.

It's offending when they rudely say we don't have any but we do have this 37K watch over here for you to buy and I can maybe see if we can get you another watch! I've had this actually happen to me at the Bal Harbor Mall. I was deflected from a sport model into a YG Day Date for 37K and I said I like it but can you get me what I want if I buy this and that's when I got the maybe. Maybe? So the game was started by the SA not me. I have every right to go in and ask for any watch I desire. They have a choice in either being upfront or playing the deflection game. They decided to play their game so I played my game much like the OP decided to play his game.
Make me a deal! Don't ask me to spend 37K and give me a maybe. I'm not here to say whether if you do or don't do a deal like that is right or wrong, to each his own. But I think both sides need to be more honest with each other.
The shortage will continue, the situation will continue it’s just a matter how pissed off each side gets at each other. Time will tell.

PS: By shortage I mean the MSRP shortage since we all know these watches are available in the hundreds via the Grays.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:37 AM   #108
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Yeah. We really are. Simple. Unassuming. Just has a date and pretty much that’s all it has. Been around since 1945. Worn by 2 out of three of the gentlemen responsible for victory in WWll. Waterproof beyond most peoples needs, shockproof. Gazilion choices of bracelet and dial combos.

What more could you want or need?

..and can actually buy one at the AD,without blackmail threats.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:57 AM   #109
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If you have just established a relationship with an AD why are you looking to another AD? Sounds like a great AD.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:59 AM   #110
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
If you have just established a relationship with an AD why are you looking to another AD? Sounds like a great AD.
Define what established relationship is???

Old 4 May 2019, 02:01 AM   #111
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:

Why?

I must say I agree with this.

To OP. Reading the first post I got the sense you didn't have an ounce of intention to buy anything from the AD; not this more or less confirms it.

To this day, I take it to heart what Jordan Belfort says about establishing rapport in the first 4 seconds of meeting someone: "It's your tonality and your body language which allows you to be established as someone worth listening to."

I am not convinced you have established yourself as someone worth listening to at the AD. You tried to troll the AD, they saw through it and stopped responding to you.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:03 AM   #112
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolexforums AD 101 course : How to get your sporty with distinction
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:04 AM   #113
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I must say I agree with this.

To OP. Reading the first post I got the sense you didn't have an ounce of intention to buy anything from the AD; not this more or less confirms it.

To this day, I take it to heart what Jordan Belfort says about establishing rapport in the first 4 seconds of meeting someone: "It's your tonality and your body language which allows you to be established as someone worth listening to."

I am not convinced you have established yourself as someone worth listening to at the AD. You tried to troll the AD, they saw through it and stopped responding to you.
Incase you missed something........ The 1st few lines of my post.

"Hi guys...... Yesterday I visited AD in the hope of building a rapport or if possible buy a SS Sports piece. Just to be clear I was prepared to pull the trigger if the opportunity had risen. I was also interested in another brand (vacheron constantin) which this ad stocks. "

Ill let you now work it out.

Old 4 May 2019, 02:06 AM   #114
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Define what established relationship is???

I thought you have a previous Rolex purchase history with AD and in your own words 'the sa sat me down and offered to take my details with assurances that i will have a sub within 6-9 months. He also emailed me a confirmation. He went one step further and assured me that we don't operate a bundle policy.'

Have I misunderstood?
Old 4 May 2019, 02:07 AM   #115
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought you have a previous Rolex purchase history with AD and in your own words 'the sa sat me down and offered to take my details with assurances that i will have a sub within 6-9 months. He also emailed me a confirmation. He went one step further and assured me that we don't operate a bundle policy.'

Have I misunderstood?
Thats not purchase history. Thats a name on a waiting list!

Old 4 May 2019, 02:08 AM   #116
Rfactname
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Just buy on ebay. Plenty of fine sellers there with plenty of inventory to choose from. None of the ad bs.
Rfactname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:09 AM   #117
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thats not purchase history. Thats a name on a waiting list!

Seems I had wrongly assumed your previous pieces were from the AD in question.
Old 4 May 2019, 02:11 AM   #118
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had wrongly assumed your previous pieces were from the AD in question.
No worries.....we are human after all. Unlike some who were born out the perfect end lol

Old 4 May 2019, 02:21 AM   #119
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Simple answer. Find an AD who is honest, straightforward and does their best to please you, the customer. Mine, deBoulle in Dallas, meets all of these standards and I've done business with them for 20+ years and purchased watches by Rolex, Patek and Breguet with no "bundling" or other funny business. I imagine they "reserve" in demand watches for steady customers -- who wouldn't?

I'm sure here are many other fine dealers around, just keep looking and deal with them the way you wish to be treated.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:26 AM   #120
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No worries.....we are human after all. Unlike some who were born out the perfect end lol

The AD where you purchased your DJ41sounds like the best bet for an ongoing relationship, your posts seemed very positive.