The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2009, 07:49 AM   #91
arkwhaler

Watch: 114270
If we could just avoid "36mm is now a women's size" and "(x) is ok for your fat or heavyset women" we might be ok.
arkwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 08:46 AM   #92
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkwhaler View Post
If we could just avoid "36mm is now a women's size" and "(x) is ok for your fat or heavyset women" we might be ok.
Amen to that
Old 10 May 2009, 08:57 AM   #93
jm433
"TRF" Member

I honestly don't care for it. Like the look of the classic DJ instead. IMHO, the best cross-over dress sports model is the smooth bezel, 36mm DJ with oyster bracelet, stick dial, in white, black or silver face. And I think a big part of this is the smooth bezel/oyster bracelet combo. I don't care for the fluted bezel. I don't know enough about the new DJ range. Perhaps there will be a smooth bezel model that will catch my fancy. I am also no a big fan of the polished center links. More of a traditionalist I guess.
jm433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 11:51 AM   #94
Lol-x
Facilitator

Is the diameter of the dial on the DJ-II really the same as the 36mm original DJ, so that the additional size is just from a wider bezel?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 02:05 PM   #95
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatch View Post
I need to see the ratio between the dial size and the bezel in person.
I feel they have not increased the dial size enough.
Agreed, it dosn't look proportional.. like the ladies and mid size do ..
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 05:20 PM   #96
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Is the diameter of the dial on the DJ-II really the same as the 36mm original DJ, so that the additional size is just from a wider bezel?
I seriously doubt that, Steve.....wouldn't make any kind of geometrical sense.

I'm pretty sure the new DJ2 would have a larger diamter dial as compared with the older 36 mm DJ.

The case is so much wider, then how awkward would a smaller 36 mm dial look in the large case?

I think the DJ2 is a fabulous watch. Can't wait for it come out on the Super Jubilee bracelet with some decent dials instead of stupid flowers and what have you on them.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 05:26 PM   #97
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I seriously doubt that, Steve.....wouldnt' make any kind of geometrical sense.

I'm pretty sure the new DJ2 would have a larger diamter dial as compared with the older 36 mm DJ.

The case is so much wider, then how awkward would a smaller 36 mm dial look in the large case?

I think the DJ2 is a fabulous watch. Can't wait for it come out on the Super Jubilee bracelet with some decent dials instead of stupid flowers and what have you on them.

JJ
Right on JJ! And I will check the lug diameter for you guys who are interested in adding a current super jubilee (before the new one is released) when I get mine

I dont know about the D-Date II, but when I tried it on again over the weekend, (fluted, champagne stick) the dial didnt appear to be the same size as the DJ 36mm's I tried on after... they seemed pretty miniscule afterward (apart from the white dial roman i tried on on SS/WG - lighter colours generally make things appear larger)

I still cant believe that I have started a thread that has had nearly 1100 views! Wow
jameshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 08:37 PM   #98
wtcope

Watch: Rolex, Cartier
I was looking to purchase a SS DJ, but now I will wait a bit to see the DJII in person. You can't really tell with pictures how well-proportioned it will be, and some comments here make me think I'll end up with the original DJ. Also, "bigger is more expensive," and so I think the original DJ's will still have their place.
wtcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 08:44 PM   #99
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcope View Post
Also, "bigger is more expensive," and so I think the original DJ's will still have their place.
Hmm, not sure. I got mine with 15% discount, from £4690 GBP to £3986.50 GBP - not sure how much more expensive that makes it over the current SS/WG 36mm??
Old 11 May 2009, 10:17 PM   #100
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post
Thanks Randy, although there seem to be some jealous/insecure people out there with physical inferiority complexes perhaps!

41mm 'big'? Wake up. Its all opinion anyhow.
i agree with u 100 percent!!!!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 10:19 PM   #101
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmm, not sure. I got mine with 15% discount, from £4690 GBP to £3986.50 GBP - not sure how much more expensive that makes it over the current SS/WG 36mm??
i think you made an excellent choice... i cant wait to see the mens model 41mm datejust in person... i hope you get urs by the end of the summer... wear it in the best of health!!!!!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 12:59 AM   #102
Engi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah that is correct, although I will look into it when it arrives as to whether it is a 20mm or 21mm lug. I am a little intrigued as to whether a 'finer' bracelet may emphasise the chunkier case even further... as with many of these things, time will tell i guess

I'm really interested in the DJ 41 mm, black sticky dial and oyster bracelet.

I've to try it, but I hope to go with it very soon.

I guess the bracelet it will be 20 mm (as on the GMTIIC).

Ciao

Engi
Engi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 01:57 AM   #103
Fran
"TRF" Member

Moderator,

I am a newly registered member and have been trying to pm James for some details with regard to his order for the new DJ11. I haven't had a reply and wonder am I precluded by forum rules from messaging yet or has James a setting precluding receipt of messages. if so, how do I know that? Having seen this message can James pm me. If so, James, please do.

Many thanks.
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 02:16 AM   #104
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
I think it is a great looking watch. But for dress 36mm is where it is at. sorry just my opinion. You will not catch me in a tux with my sub on either.

IMHO the 41 mm dj is neither sport nor dress. It,s kind of in between. When i hear sport i think ruged something that i wount feel bad rock climbing or mountain bikeing with or diveing with. DJ dosent fit the bill for me on this level.

Now when i say dress i think versatile sport jacket to Black tie. 41mm kills this option for me as well. I think they are lovely watches but not dress nor sport IMHO they are great casual watches IMHO casual also being a suit but not a tux sorry. just my .02 probably not worth much..

PS we all probaly have diffrent views of what sport means and what dress means. But get what you like who the hell am i.

I see there are some real haters poping up on this thread, but i am not one just giveing my opinion not bashing like some fools.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 02:23 AM   #105
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseskew24 View Post
I think it is a great looking watch. But for dress 36mm is where it is at. sorry just my opinion. You will not catch me in a tux with my sub on either.

IMHO the 41 mm dj is neither sport nor dress. It,s kind of in between. When i hear sport i think ruged something that i wount feel bad rock climbing or mountain bikeing with or diveing with. DJ dosent fit the bill for me on this level.

Now when i say dress i think versatile sport jacket to Black tie. 41mm kills this option for me as well. I think they are lovely watches but not dress nor sport IMHO they are great casual watches IMHO casual also being a suit but not a tux sorry. just my .02 probably not worth much..

PS we all probaly have diffrent views of what sport means and what dress means. But get what you like who the hell am i.

I see there are some real haters poping up on this thread, but i am not one just giveing my opinion not bashing like some fools.

You're right Chris - opinions are wonderful to share, but it's not cool to insult or degrade other members.

edit- not that you are :)
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 02:31 AM   #106
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vambeck View Post
Hi James,

Its funny i was just going to start a new thread named " 36mm for a dress watch, 40mm for sport watch, opinions please" I consider the DJ 36mm to be a dress watch or a watch that looks good with a shirt and suit. The 40mm such as a gmt or sub is a sports watch a watch for more casual wear. I have a sub lv that i love and a oyster that is 36mm with a fluted bezel which i love also but certainly looks better with a shirt. Just my opinion, Iam sure loads will disagree!!
Vambeck- I'm digging that black dial with the orange.

What model is it? Any other info?
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 05:17 AM   #107
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseskew24 View Post

Cool post, I can see exactly where you are coming with that... perhaps with time it may settle into the dress category better once a slightly larger dial becomes more 'acceptable' with a suit (if it ever does)
Old 12 May 2009, 05:36 AM   #108
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Despite all the differing opinions..I think it comes down to...

here is a guy that has found and bought the watch that sings to him...

CONGRATS James...looking forward to some photos..which IS what this forum is about...
Old 12 May 2009, 06:18 AM   #109
arkwhaler

Watch: 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatchnewbie View Post

CONGRATS James...looking forward to some photos..which IS what this forum is about...
i second that.

wear it in good health!

arkwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 06:59 AM   #110
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatchnewbie View Post

I agree with this statement 100% as well. But this is not what the original thread was about..
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 05:34 PM   #111
brasseye
"TRF" Member

36mm looks great on my slim wrists but if i was a "big" built fellow id go for the 41mm with out a doubt
brasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 03:40 AM   #112
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Dial Selection

Do you know what dial colors you will be able to get so far? Rolex.com shows only 4 different dials/WG/YG/Roman/Arabic/sticks ... I definately love the black dial but I'd prefer the Rhodium/Silver (I don't know the difference) for my first Rolex (which will be also the DJ II) next december when I buy it in Cancun
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 03:55 AM   #113
daytona1

Its the best I can do at this time. I dont have a camera. These are from my phone.
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 04:36 AM   #114
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
Do you know what dial colors you will be able to get so far? Rolex.com shows only 4 different dials/WG/YG/Roman/Arabic/sticks ... I definately love the black dial but I'd prefer the Rhodium/Silver (I don't know the difference) for my first Rolex (which will be also the DJ II) next december when I buy it in Cancun
hi Alex, first of all, GREAT choice, and one that will grow and grow in popularity over time... it is my first one too.

The dial options quoted to me were: (on the SS/WG version)
Blue Stick
Rhodium/Silver (stick i think, or the arabic with the powder blue numbers)
black - stick or roman
White stick

Search for one of my past threads 'datejust II info' or something a couple of months ago - i listed all the info there at the time
Old 12 June 2009, 04:37 AM   #115
nat
"TRF" Member

Have not seen this watch in person, but I like the 41mm and dislike the bezel/dial ratio. Dial should have gotten bigger, not the bezel. I don't like it.
nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 05:14 AM   #116
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I CAN'T WAIT to see this watch in person. I tried on a 41 Day-Date and feel it was the perfect size, very nice lines. I'm not really attracted to the DD, but the DJ is a definite possibility!!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 09:19 AM   #117
clubmed
"TRF" Member

Does any one know if the new DJII will have rhodium dial with roman or are the only options the ones on the website
clubmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 09:24 AM   #118
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
I like this version, but I would have liked to have seen ROLEX put a "bigger" winder on it; maybe a couple mm's would be right, visually correct or proportional. If it were me I would go for a domed bezel vn vs fluted, on an oyster than jublee ! I also would like to see a blue dial...
Right, and as to Sport/dress, my take is, "I wear a ROLEX" and it doesnt matter what time of day it is (or occasion for that matter) !

Thanks,
Randy
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 09:55 AM   #119
Joelmor
Banned

Watch: WG Daytona YG DD40
I predict the DJ2 will be a huge success.

Joel
Joelmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 10:36 AM   #120
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I agree, despite my dislike for large diameter "wrist platters". I have always been fond of 36mm Rolex, and believe it is an excellent dress watch size. However, I believe the 41mm size will add a new level of flexibility to the line. But, IMHO the 41mm should be as large as the DJ should get. The ones I have seen, and the 41mm DDII are very good looking watches!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote