The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2021, 06:11 AM   #91
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondope View Post
Have you looked at the Zenith Chronomaster Sport? Really nice watch with a nice bracelet and legendary movement. Seems like a good value dollar for dollar.
Just feels so light. Same with the Grand Seikos. Just wish they had more heft on the wrist.
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #92
rlj676
"TRF" Member

I think the GO just recommended is a unique sub stand in and only read great things about the quality. I’d love to see one in person. Likewise the TI planet ocean is a cool option but the orange is less daily subtle on it.

I want an IWC Top Gun chrono and Pam 683 for my next so I’ll throw them out there. However I have 3 Rolex’s that I could daily so maybe they’re not as strong for that description :)
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 07:19 AM   #93
RustyW
"TRF" Member

Try Panerai. 00 or an older model sub on the old school bracelet. They also have some new 42 mm models that I am not super familiar with.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 07:24 AM   #94
Asumer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN - BLK
I hear you OP, I was looking at a overseas but the price is mighty high and feel like its not everyday tough like a rolex. For an everyday wear ss with bracelet look to omega either a seamaster or planet ocean depending on wrist size. Like others have said a moonwatch also is good, depends on if you want to keep winding it daily as its a manual. IWC ingunier also could be a solution.

For rolex's that are decently priced 5 digit seadwellers, explorer 1's (5 or 6 digit) could also fit the bill.
Asumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 07:28 AM   #95
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Go 5 digit Rolex and relax. If 36mm is too small, a sub is still around 10k these days for 16610 and is arguably the best daily going.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 07:30 AM   #96
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
Its a problem. I need a group to talk to.

I dont mind spending the money (just bought a new Daytona Oysterflex yellow gold Panda), just itch when i have to pay over retail...
So your AD can get you that Daytona but not a bog standard Sub?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 07:32 AM   #97
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
So your AD can get you that Daytona but not a bog standard Sub?
ahhh yeah... sold the Sub he got me two years ago. Regretting it, obviously.

Frankly, looking for something with a bit more character.

The SD43 might be just the ticket.

or a james cameron, but that keeps inching up my budget. As always!
Old 1 December 2021, 07:38 AM   #98
Blue Fin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Never chose another brand (outside of PP, AP, RM sports) in lieu of Rolex.

If you want Rolex, acquire Rolex.
This in a nutshell.

Purchased an Aqua Terra as a daily, three years later I capitulated and got the Submariner I’d always wanted. The Omega is good, but now gathering dust.
Blue Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 08:27 AM   #99
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

DJ41s are absolutely a no-go at ADs now? I saw a couple in display cases as recently as this summer, but obviously things change fast.

I mean unless things are truly that bad, I'd pound the pavement and try to get a Datejust at an AD.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 09:01 AM   #100
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

cartier santos would be a good choice, they're flying off shelves now as well though. also cartier is top tier in terms of customer experience and service if you're into that...
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 09:11 AM   #101
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
DJ41s are absolutely a no-go at ADs now? I saw a couple in display cases as recently as this summer, but obviously things change fast.

I mean unless things are truly that bad, I'd pound the pavement and try to get a Datejust at an AD.
Yep. Very allocated now in SS/fluted. Two tone was orderable a few months ago but don’t know about now.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 09:16 AM   #102
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymonster View Post
I had a JLC Polaris and enjoyed it very much but the 100m WR and lack of screw downs made me get rid of it as a daily. For me daily = same as a vacation watch and it's gotta be something I can swim in. Even the JLC SA recommend against swimming in it.

That brought me to a BB58 which was an awesome watch. But after a few months it bored me. Super comfortable, but otherwise nothing exciting. I added a Black Bay Chrono reverse panda, but ultimately couldn't make it work daily due to the size and thickness.

Which brings me to my current daily and lifetime never get rid of piece (along with my SD4K and BLRO)... my Glashutte Original SeaQ 39.5.

The GO wears like a BB58 or 5 digit sub, but is overbuilt like a SeaDweller. I would strongly consider it as a daily piece that's within that price range you mention (can be had new for a few thousand off retail), has some character to the dial, an awesome micro adjustment, and built like a tank feel. Better fit and finish than any Rolex you'll buy. Similar to JLC but more rugged build compared to a Polaris.

After almost 5 months of daily wear and a Breckenridge and Puerto Vallarta vacation, the vertically brushed case shows zero signs of wear. Aside from the PCLs the watch looks brand new. And it's insanely accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that domed crystal.

Fin
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 09:20 AM   #103
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I don’t get the concept of a “daily” or worse “beater”. Nothing wrong with wearing whatever you like every day. Watches, with proper care and learning how to stay away from things with your left arm, last forever. I’ve been wearing a Speedmaster for 30 years now mostly every day and it looks good as new (hesalite crystals swapped during each routine service of course).
You have a good list going there. Otherwise, there are options for 5 digit preowned Rolex watches. But you are probably right about the price range.
Otherwise, I personally like Omega and IWC and they always have great watches on the lineup sub 10K.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 09:21 AM   #104
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Have you considered the BB Chrono?
Old 1 December 2021, 09:23 AM   #105
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Tudor 58 - as close as a sub as you can get.
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Aqua Terra
Grand Seiko Divers (Spring Drive, Hi-beat or automatic movements)
Take the brand equity aside any of these watches stack up well beside Rolex. If you put up the spec sheets of each watch and compare them on their specifications alone every one of of them are as good as if not better than a Rolex. Arguably they have better and technologically more advance movements. Grand Seikos are actually more accurate than Rolex. But in the real world brand equity trumps everything else when it come to luxury goods. Is a Chanel bag 20 times better than a Coach?
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 10:31 AM   #106
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

16570 polar
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 10:45 AM   #107
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Never chose another brand (outside of PP, AP, RM sports) in lieu of Rolex.

If you want Rolex, acquire Rolex.
What about JLC?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 10:57 AM   #108
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymonster View Post
I had a JLC Polaris and enjoyed it very much but the 100m WR and lack of screw downs made me get rid of it as a daily. For me daily = same as a vacation watch and it's gotta be something I can swim in. Even the JLC SA recommend against swimming in it.

That brought me to a BB58 which was an awesome watch. But after a few months it bored me. Super comfortable, but otherwise nothing exciting. I added a Black Bay Chrono reverse panda, but ultimately couldn't make it work daily due to the size and thickness.

Which brings me to my current daily and lifetime never get rid of piece (along with my SD4K and BLRO)... my Glashutte Original SeaQ 39.5.

The GO wears like a BB58 or 5 digit sub, but is overbuilt like a SeaDweller. I would strongly consider it as a daily piece that's within that price range you mention (can be had new for a few thousand off retail), has some character to the dial, an awesome micro adjustment, and built like a tank feel. Better fit and finish than any Rolex you'll buy. Similar to JLC but more rugged build compared to a Polaris.

After almost 5 months of daily wear and a Breckenridge and Puerto Vallarta vacation, the vertically brushed case shows zero signs of wear. Aside from the PCLs the watch looks brand new. And it's insanely accurate.

I agree though don't have this, however I'm thinking about it. What a Beauty...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 11:06 AM   #109
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Take a look at JLC Polaris Chronograph. I’m biased, it’s #1 on my Christmas list. Tim Mosso did a nice review on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWQ3RfZUB-I
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 11:19 AM   #110
mathurss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Indeed. Only in TRF fantasy land would a $8-13K budget for a “daily” watch be considered anywhere near normal.

Respectfully disagree.

Cash + Patience = Rolex

Less cash, then have more patience (ie go the AD route).

Less patience, then increase your spend (go gray).

I waited 2 years but got my Batman at list through an AD with an inconsequential purchase history.

mathurss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 11:20 AM   #111
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
I think the GO just recommended is a unique sub stand in and only read great things about the quality. I’d love to see one in person. Likewise the TI planet ocean is a cool option but the orange is less daily subtle on it.

I want an IWC Top Gun chrono and Pam 683 for my next so I’ll throw them out there. However I have 3 Rolex’s that I could daily so maybe they’re not as strong for that description :)
I have the larger Panorama Date version of that GO SeaQ. GO is approaching (or maybe is) haute horology, so I wanted to see that movement. That was the decider, otherwise I would have gotten the 39.5 because the build quality seemed identical in a more wearable size. It's a really well built watch and a good value imo.
Old 1 December 2021, 11:24 AM   #112
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
What about JLC?
I have a hard time believing someone who is considering a Rolex would/should be cross shopping JLC. Their "sports" watch range seems quite weak, esp in comparison to their dress watches. Meanwhile Rolex IS the quintessential luxury sports watch brand.
Old 1 December 2021, 11:47 AM   #113
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I have a hard time believing someone who is considering a Rolex would/should be cross shopping JLC. Their "sports" watch range seems quite weak, esp in comparison to their dress watches. Meanwhile Rolex IS the quintessential luxury sports watch brand.
they won't be. in reality anyone who wants a rolex won't be cross shopping period
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 01:19 PM   #114
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
they won't be. in reality anyone who wants a rolex won't be cross shopping period
Have to say, I am.

The JLC Polaris Mariner Memovox is beyond impressive.
Old 1 December 2021, 01:44 PM   #115
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Seiko SSC813. Save money.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 02:22 PM   #116
Marantz2270
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollie85 View Post
For that price range under $10k get an IWC Pilot 3881-02 and call it a day for a daily.

I've been eyeing this exact piece and will probably pull the trigger soon.
I’d strongly consider adding a Pilot if it wasn’t so damn thick.
Marantz2270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 02:43 PM   #117
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz2270 View Post
I’d strongly consider adding a Pilot if it wasn’t so damn thick.
Looking very closely at the new “big” pilot 43mm. Fantastic
Bracelet
Old 1 December 2021, 03:49 PM   #118
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

No one mentioned, I think, the AirKing. 116900. In real life it is a great watch to look at and wear,
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 04:23 PM   #119
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

would get a 5 digit rolex Sub or Sea Dweller
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 04:36 PM   #120
Romi-Omi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittansett View Post
My personal experience... I tried to replace the Rolex submariner with another brand/model. However, deep down inside, I knew what I wanted, and the watch was just a replacement for what I really want. Years later, I did not care about the replacement watch. Eventually, I still bought a Rolex submariner. Don't fool yourself. You won't be happy.
This is so true. 100%
Romi-Omi is offline   Reply With Quote