The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2020, 07:24 AM   #91
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I know the current fear climate has spread to everything now, but get a grip lads, tens of thousands of Londoners wear nice watches or jewellery everyday and a tiny percentage get robbed and an even tinier percentage violently as this unusual thread demonstates, so as I said and will always say be vigilante and don't walk down dark alleys, or else you might as well just keep the CV lockdown mentality in your life for good.
Stay safe

Last edited by Wobbly; 12 April 2020 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: On reflection, I don’t need to justify my comment.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 07:41 PM   #92
mountstreet
Banned

Watch: 126331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Best to end this thread now before hysterical members on red cards get banned for good. OP you made your point.
Thanks and all the best!
mountstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 07:41 PM   #93
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
Stay safe
Thanks, likewise! Best wishes!
Old 19 April 2020, 12:32 AM   #94
mountstreet
Banned

Please check out my YouTube channel inspired by the events of my stolen watch.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdt...AIZncSHYZC_IXg
Old 19 April 2020, 12:37 AM   #95
mountstreet
Banned

Please check out my IG page inspired by the events of my stolen watch.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/valuablesrecovery/
Old 19 April 2020, 12:52 AM   #96
RobotDoctor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Sorry to hear about your DJ. At the end of the day your life and well being is worth more than the watch. I hope that the DJ is found in the same condition and returned to you and justice is served for the criminals.
RobotDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #97
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James5599 View Post
Firstly my sympathies are with the OP, hopefully you get lucky and get reunited with your watch, glad to hear you came out unscathed aswell, too often it’s very a different ending.

If I may offer my 2 pence from a professional capacity and also a personal ,
I see it a fair bit in my professional capacity in London, affluent areas - Knightsbridge, Belgravia , it’s not new news and has infact been happening for years .

Acid / corrosive substances were a favourite for a year or 2, so much so we use to carry 60 litres of water in each of the vehicles and now we have anti acid kit. It got to the point at one stage where the criminals were just throwing it about before uttering a word.

Watch/jewellery robberies have increased alot in the last few years, they never use to be the sole target of thieves, given how easy they are to steal and move on they are now a firm favourite.

I m constantly advising my clients about ‘showing out ‘ less , making us / themselves less of a target. Having It doesn’t fit in with their culture of being ‘seen’ though.

Every attack follows a cycle , and that starts with surveillance of some description , target selection/ acquisition , then the cycle moves onto environment selection (where you will be attacked) before the attack phase begins.

Being able to pick up the cycle early enough is a skill that most just don’t have, why would you, in normal life it’s not something that most ever have to confront. Twinned with the fact most people walk around completely oblivious it’s recipe for easy pickings.

Now onto a personal experience I had, not so long ago, outside a nice restaurant around 11pm right by Harrods, waiting for our taxi, I had a SD43 on, and my partner stood next to me, chap comes marching up the street and asks me for a smoke, I oblige.
The whole time he doesn’t take his eyes off my watch, I m aware and can see one of his hands is covered by a jacket, I m trained in body language and combat indicators , now I know he’s deciding whether he’s going to make his play, I took half a step across the front of my partner, his next move decides where this is going, and I have a choice to make. He decided against it and walks off up the street looking back at us.

My partner says straight away that was really weird and I felt like he was going to try something, I agreed and I consider us lucky to have dodged something that could’ve been entirely unpleasant .

Reliving the situation as I have done a few times , And discussing it with colleagues , I can say that had he pulled a weapon, I d have given him my watch, it surprises people who know me to hear me say that, had I been alone I d have given him something else but with my partner next to me, it’s not a risk worth taking. I’ve been stabbed before and it was unpleasant, and for the sake of something that’s insured and I can replace the next day , it’s just not worth it. To live to fight another day, you have to live first.

I can only be thankful and guess that combination of me being aware and a big guy he decided I wasn’t worth the risk I guess. I have no doubt in my mind, had I been abit pissed or of different stature he d have taken His chances .

My advice to everyone is switch on, if most people think about it, they aren’t nearly as aware as they should be. Never in the moment, rushing from one place to another, phone in hand, headphones in, juggling 2 bags and a million and one things going through there mind. Not many seem to be in the moment , and that’s where the trouble begins.

Next time you go out , LOOK AROUND , be aware whose in your vicinity , who doesn’t have a reason for being there, why have I seen the same person 2-3 times in different places, whose avoiding eye contact with me. What am I showing out that someone may find attractive, is my phone in my hand, my wallet hanging out of my pocket, my bag open, my watch on display ? How am I carrying myself?! What is my body language saying ?! Am I looking but not seeing? Make people watching a game, it develops into a skill, you will start to feel the mood in the air and more importantly when that mood changes you will notice. I could write all day about this sort of stuff but I m sure most of you have switched off by now !
This was a great post and I for one appreciate your advice and observations. you are clearly a professional. Having lived in many urban cities I too like to play the game of looking and watching what is around me, I've been lucky so far but fear that with the upcoming downturn people will be more desperate, my advice would be have insurance and hand the watch over, these watches are replaceable, your life isn't. I have lived in several major cities in the USA but the UK is the place I don't feel comfortable wearing a nice watch. So much so that I didn't wear and recently sold my Daytona, for several reasons the price had gone up and I wasn't comfortable wearing it.
I eventually would pocket the watch until arrival, then wear it in the restaurant, then pocket it on the way home, I recently thought if I have to think of it this much then I shouldn't wear it out. I've heard of so many thefts in London, many around Mayfair. I feel very comfortable in NY but not London.
I feel terrible for the OP and I hope there is such a thing as Karma but am not convinced it's a thing. I get slightly annoyed when people post how safe London is, its not true!!!!
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 02:06 AM   #98
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Firstly my sympathies are with the OP, hopefully you get lucky and get reunited with your watch, glad to hear you came out unscathed aswell, too often it’s very a different ending.

I see it a fair bit in my professional capacity in London, affluent areas - Knightsbridge, Belgravia , it’s not new news and has infact been happening for years .

Acid / corrosive substances were a favourite for a year or 2, so much so we use to carry 60 litres of water in each of the vehicles and now we have anti acid kit. It got to the point at one stage where the criminals were just throwing it about before uttering a word.

Watch/jewellery robberies have increased alot in the last few years, they never use to be the sole target of thieves, given how easy they are to steal and move on they are now a firm favourite.

I m constantly advising my clients about ‘showing out ‘ less , making us / themselves less of a target. Having It doesn’t fit in with their culture of being ‘seen’ though.

Every attack follows a cycle , and that starts with surveillance of some description , target selection/ acquisition , then the cycle moves onto environment selection (where you will be attacked) before the attack phase begins.

Being able to pick up the cycle early enough is a skill that most just don’t have, why would you, in normal life it’s not something that most ever have to confront. Twinned with the fact most people walk around completely oblivious it’s recipe for easy pickings.

Now onto a personal experience I had, not so long ago, outside a nice restaurant around 11pm right by Harrods, waiting for our taxi, I had a SD43 on, and my partner stood next to me, chap comes marching up the street and asks me for a smoke, I oblige.
The whole time he doesn’t take his eyes off my watch, I m aware and can see one of his hands is covered by a jacket, I m trained in body language and combat indicators , now I know he’s deciding whether he’s going to make his play, I took half a step across the front of my partner, his next move decides where this is going, and I have a choice to make. He decided against it and walks off up the street looking back at us.

My partner says straight away that was really weird and I felt like he was going to try something, I agreed and I consider us lucky to have dodged something that could’ve been entirely unpleasant .

Reliving the situation as I have done a few times , And discussing it with colleagues , I can say that had he pulled a weapon, I d have given him my watch, it surprises people who know me to hear me say that, had I been alone I d have given him something else but with my partner next to me, it’s not a risk worth taking. I’ve been stabbed before and it was unpleasant, and for the sake of something that’s insured and I can replace the next day , it’s just not worth it. To live to fight another day, you have to live first.

I can only be thankful and guess that combination of me being aware and a big guy he decided I wasn’t worth the risk I guess. I have no doubt in my mind, had I been abit pissed or of different stature he d have taken His chances .

My advice to everyone is switch on, if most people think about it, they aren’t nearly as aware as they should be. Never in the moment, rushing from one place to another, phone in hand, headphones in, juggling 2 bags and a million and one things going through there mind. Not many seem to be in the moment , and that’s where the trouble begins.

Next time you go out , LOOK AROUND , be aware whose in your vicinity , who doesn’t have a reason for being there, why have I seen the same person 2-3 times in different places, whose avoiding eye contact with me. What am I showing out that someone may find attractive, is my phone in my hand, my wallet hanging out of my pocket, my bag open, my watch on display ? How am I carrying myself?! What is my body language saying ?! Am I looking but not seeing? Make people watching a game, it develops into a skill, you will start to feel the mood in the air and more importantly when that mood changes you will notice. I could write all day about this sort of stuff but I m sure most of you have switched off by now !
Excellent post James. Are you with part of the Met or are you in a private capacity?
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 02:21 AM   #99
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
In some places, and the list is growing, it is absolutely not safe to wear a nice watch. If you live in one of those areas, its time for reflection as to what to do. I saw on a photo of somewhere, a warning on a public sign to beware of watch thieves. Don't know if it for real or not. I personally would not enter any mall in my area with anything valuable.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 08:19 AM   #100
Max 66
Banned

I'm originally from Milan (Italy), I lived for 15 years in other Countries and recently I moved to London.
I must admit that the safest place I lived was Dubai, but honestly I feel myself less anxious to wear a Rolex in London (particularly in South West London where I live) rather than in Milan or in other big cities in Italy.
Having said that, is really frustrating to be forced to limit our freedom to wear a watch because of possible risk of theft.
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 01:10 AM   #101
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
Sorry to hear about your DJ. At the end of the day your life and well being is worth more than the watch. I hope that the DJ is found in the same condition and returned to you and justice is served for the criminals.
Thanks for your support, absolutely, couldn't agree more! All the best.
Old 20 April 2020, 01:12 AM   #102
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdaytona View Post
This was a great post and I for one appreciate your advice and observations. you are clearly a professional. Having lived in many urban cities I too like to play the game of looking and watching what is around me, I've been lucky so far but fear that with the upcoming downturn people will be more desperate, my advice would be have insurance and hand the watch over, these watches are replaceable, your life isn't. I have lived in several major cities in the USA but the UK is the place I don't feel comfortable wearing a nice watch. So much so that I didn't wear and recently sold my Daytona, for several reasons the price had gone up and I wasn't comfortable wearing it.
I eventually would pocket the watch until arrival, then wear it in the restaurant, then pocket it on the way home, I recently thought if I have to think of it this much then I shouldn't wear it out. I've heard of so many thefts in London, many around Mayfair. I feel very comfortable in NY but not London.
I feel terrible for the OP and I hope there is such a thing as Karma but am not convinced it's a thing. I get slightly annoyed when people post how safe London is, its not true!!!!
Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts and experience. Definitely agree that the city needs an upgrade in safety record for street crimes like theft, all too many victims... Stay safe and take care of your valuables. All the best.
Old 20 April 2020, 01:13 AM   #103
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Excellent post James. Are you with part of the Met or are you in a private capacity?
Thanks for contributing. All the best.
Old 20 April 2020, 01:13 AM   #104
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
In some places, and the list is growing, it is absolutely not safe to wear a nice watch. If you live in one of those areas, its time for reflection as to what to do. I saw on a photo of somewhere, a warning on a public sign to beware of watch thieves. Don't know if it for real or not. I personally would not enter any mall in my area with anything valuable.
Couldn't agree more with you. Stay safe and take care. All the best!
Old 20 April 2020, 01:14 AM   #105
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 66 View Post
I'm originally from Milan (Italy), I lived for 15 years in other Countries and recently I moved to London.
I must admit that the safest place I lived was Dubai, but honestly I feel myself less anxious to wear a Rolex in London (particularly in South West London where I live) rather than in Milan or in other big cities in Italy.
Having said that, is really frustrating to be forced to limit our freedom to wear a watch because of possible risk of theft.
Thanks for sharing! Agree, the limitation of having to think twice about wearing a watch is a shame. Take care and all the best!
Old 20 April 2020, 01:36 AM   #106
cmdr_foley
"TRF" Member

That sucks, I hope there is a good ending to this story. Unfortunately I have gone through a similar experience and to this day I can't really bear seeing another 5513 cuz it reminds me so much of my long lost first rolex!
cmdr_foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 02:36 AM   #107
BigTasty
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately in the UK there's no real deterrent for criminals these days. More often than not they're seen as the victims of society because their Daddy didn't hug them enough, or they were manipulated by a gang or some other b*****ks! They're more likely to get a caution and a stern finger wave.
BigTasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:39 AM   #108
James5599
"TRF" Member

Watch: D blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTasty View Post
Unfortunately in the UK there's no real deterrent for criminals these days. More often than not they're seen as the victims of society because their Daddy didn't hug them enough, or they were manipulated by a gang or some other b*****ks! They're more likely to get a caution and a stern finger wave.
I d agree in part , the police and justice system might be slow to catch on sometimes, but they do eventually catch up, some stiff sentences have been handed down and it’s forced criminals to change up their mo’s in lots of cases.
James5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:46 AM   #109
James5599
"TRF" Member

Watch: D blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post

Ex military, security service , now as a private contractor ive been with the same Middle Eastern family for 10 odd years.
James5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 07:12 AM   #110
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:

Beautiful post. Thank you.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 08:08 AM   #111
Milsub114060
Banned

Back patting there there aside deciding to take a midnight walk in London wearing a sleeveless top and expensive watch showing lit up like a Xmas tree for all to see and walking around taking side streets and not being aware of people nearby or around you - ok thanks got it.
Would you do that anywhere else? Multiple mistakes that no one would sensibly make hindsight or not , tell me you had insurance?

I say this as you endangered yourself and your gf - people have been killed for this exact same crime in London. Need to think ahead not after the fact it could have been far worse for either of you because of plain stupidity. Gangs think nothing of using knives and their consequences - think yourselves very very lucky.
Milsub114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 09:22 PM   #112
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr_foley View Post
That sucks, I hope there is a good ending to this story. Unfortunately I have gone through a similar experience and to this day I can't really bear seeing another 5513 cuz it reminds me so much of my long lost first rolex!
Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear that it also happened to you. Trust your 5513 finds its way back to you soon. All the best!
Old 20 April 2020, 09:22 PM   #113
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTasty View Post
Thanks for sharing! All the best.
Old 20 April 2020, 09:22 PM   #114
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Ex military, security service , now as a private contractor ive been with the same Middle Eastern family for 10 odd years.
Thanks for your comments and service! All the best.
Old 20 April 2020, 09:23 PM   #115
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Beautiful post. Thank you.
Agreed! Best wishes.
Old 20 April 2020, 09:23 PM   #116
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsub114060 View Post
Back patting there there aside deciding to take a midnight walk in London wearing a sleeveless top and expensive watch showing lit up like a Xmas tree for all to see and walking around taking side streets and not being aware of people nearby or around you - ok thanks got it.
Would you do that anywhere else? Multiple mistakes that no one would sensibly make hindsight or not , tell me you had insurance?

I say this as you endangered yourself and your gf - people have been killed for this exact same crime in London. Need to think ahead not after the fact it could have been far worse for either of you because of plain stupidity. Gangs think nothing of using knives and their consequences - think yourselves very very lucky.
Thanks for your opinion. All the best.
Old 21 April 2020, 05:08 AM   #117
reecester
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountstreet View Post
Please check out my YouTube channel inspired by the events of my stolen watch.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdt...AIZncSHYZC_IXg
Thanks you for sharing your experience. Just finished watching the youtube video. This will help others.
reecester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 07:07 AM   #118
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecester View Post
Thanks you for sharing your experience. Just finished watching the youtube video. This will help others.
Thanks for watching and your feedback, it's much appreciated! All the best.
Old 21 April 2020, 07:15 AM   #119
TheSearcher
"TRF" Member

Sheesh I stopped over for a night in Mayfair last summer for a birthday night out with the mrs, was cautious about my watch being on show and was wearing a blazer, but after a few drinks you soon loosen up and become less aware of who is around you. Hope you get the watch back soon. Was you insured?
TheSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 04:53 PM   #120
mountstreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
Sheesh I stopped over for a night in Mayfair last summer for a birthday night out with the mrs, was cautious about my watch being on show and was wearing a blazer, but after a few drinks you soon loosen up and become less aware of who is around you. Hope you get the watch back soon. Was you insured?
Thanks for sharing your experience and glad that you were safe. Appreciate the support! All the best!