The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2024, 06:36 AM   #91
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
New Sub 126040 - 3230 loosing time

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcinitijp View Post
My wife, before I got married, promised me that she would let me go play golf every week and it never happened... who do I complain to about that?

Ah my friend.

You are comparing apples with, well, rocks.

There is a reason your wife didn’t come with a written specification against which her performance can be measured.

And that is because she doesn’t need one. Simply, she is always right. Therefore there can be no complaint because she has done nothing wrong.

You should have know that. The responsibility is all on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 06:39 AM   #92
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
No comment as it's a waste of time,I have far more important things to worry about, than whether a watch might or might not lose or gain a few seconds.

And yet you commented.

Where’s that multiple facepalm picture you always roll out - it’s quite appropriate here

Old 12 May 2024, 06:57 AM   #93
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Ah my friend.

You are comparing apples with, well, rocks.

There is a reason your wife didn’t come with a written specification against which her performance can be measured.

And that is because she doesn’t need one. Simply, she is always right. Therefore there can be no complaint because she has done nothing wrong.

You should have know that. The responsibility is all on you.

It seems there are two people who are ALWAYS right:

*His wife
*Devil Dog

What a thoroughly informative thread that has been and, I’m sure you’ll all agree one reason why we all love TRF so much.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that to us.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 07:01 AM   #94
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
And all of those buying them are fully aware of the issue? Heck, even many on TRF aren’t.
What "issue"? That a handful of the millions of 32xx watches out there did not perform to Rolex's stated standard?

Everything documented here is the exception and not the rule. The fact people keep suggesting there is a flaw with this movement series is pretty funny. Especially the whole "I'll only buy xxxx movement now" narrative. What is happening.

But please...don't buy them so the rest of us have a shot at the AD
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 08:02 AM   #95
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And yet you commented.

Where’s that multiple facepalm picture you always roll out - it’s quite appropriate here
Q.E.D. All of this honorable member's argumentation and contradictions around this topic have now been completely dismantled by you, with facts, and proven to be useless and illogical individual pieces
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 08:52 AM   #96
SubDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
FWIW I picked up my Sub Date (3235) in Nov 22. Has been -1 / day ever since. Lay it dial up overnight which gains +1. It has never deviated from this.
SubDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 09:15 AM   #97
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
What "issue"? That a handful of the millions of 32xx watches out there did not perform to Rolex's stated standard?

Everything documented here is the exception and not the rule. The fact people keep suggesting there is a flaw with this movement series is pretty funny. Especially the whole "I'll only buy xxxx movement now" narrative. What is happening.

But please...don't buy them so the rest of us have a shot at the AD
Tell it to the guy on the other thread who had 6 out of 8 32xx watches go bad, I’m sure he’ll feel better.
Old 12 May 2024, 09:38 AM   #98
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
And all of those buying them are fully aware of the issue? Heck, even many on TRF aren’t.

I’m pretty sure everyone who frequents TRF is familiar with the problems some have had with their watches with 32xx movements. Personally, I’m not worried about it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 09:48 AM   #99
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDate View Post
FWIW I picked up my Sub Date (3235) in Nov 22. Has been -1 / day ever since. Lay it dial up overnight which gains +1. It has never deviated from this.
Yah, but the 3235 lives rent-free in Rolex owner’s heads.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 10:08 AM   #100
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Look at you lot, squabbling like seagulls fighting over a discarded french fry, while Rolex sits back, sipping fine champagne, and swimming in pools of cash.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 07:13 PM   #101
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Juan

You are missing the key point here.

I agree 1.5 seconds is nothing.

However, if a manufacturer makes a big deal out of a number, those who purchase their product are entitled to expect compliance with that number.

Whether you, Peter or anyone else agrees with that is irrelevant.

They have an absolute right to expect their watch to perform as guaranteed by Rolex.
So what you are saying Rolex guarantees that the watch will perform to -2+2 seconds every single day no matter state of mainspring power, resting positions, owners wearing habits etc?. Or is it to the fact the watch was tested to a precision -2+2 seconds on a machine and at time of testing met the spec.

Position Of Watch seconds Per Day this would still pass this precision -2+2 spec.
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -4
3 o’clock +4

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 09:44 PM   #102
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcinitijp View Post
My wife, before I got married, promised me that she would let me go play golf every week and it never happened... who do I complain to about that?
You should tag your grievance on to the Rolex class action lawsuit

Carry on.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 09:46 PM   #103
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Look at you lot, squabbling like seagulls fighting over a discarded french fry, while Rolex sits back, sipping fine champagne, and swimming in pools of cash.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 01:05 AM   #104
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

This might be the most boorish thread I have come across in recent time.

People can critique the fine print in Rolex marketing all they want, the +\-2 seconds is under a specific set of lab conditions and while many of their movements may continue to carry out this precision in the real world, sometimes and over time it may not to varying degrees of severity. The real problem it sounds like people have here is with Rolex advertising; good luck winning that battle.

I have yet to own a single mechanical watch from a single brand that keeps absolute perfect time after a week or two if the watch is worn and used normally. If you want to take a watch to an RSC for losing a few seconds after a week; be my guest. Good luck winning the publicity war with what Rolex defines on their webpage.

If your watch is severely out of spec, get it fixed. It happens. Has happened. Will continue to happen. These are all anecdotes that everyone here is presenting as factual evidence based flaws in a Rolex calibre. If there’s an endemic issue in the 32xx movement, what is it? What’s happening that something is going wrong? What’s the defect? What part of the movement is failing? Don’t tell me YOUR watch isn’t working. MINE are. What’s the critical flaw here? Anyone?
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 01:16 AM   #105
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what you are saying Rolex guarantees that the watch will perform to -2+2 seconds every single day no matter state of mainspring power, resting positions, owners wearing habits etc?. Or is it to the fact the watch was tested to a precision -2+2 seconds on a machine and at time of testing met the spec.

Position Of Watch seconds Per Day this would still pass this precision -2+2 spec.
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -4
3 o’clock +4
I'm not saying it Peter, Rolex is.

This certification, unique to the Rolex Manufacture, guarantees an exceptional precision of –2/+2 seconds per day

Thats an on an event (certification) something else applies (the guarantee of exceptional precision)

or, once certified, precision of -2/+2 is guaranteed.

Nothing to do with it only applying during testing under laboratory conditions.

You can argue the definition of precision vs accuracy all day long.

So let's see what the Oxford Dictionary defines it as, shall we?

Precision

the quality, condition, or fact of being exact and accurate.

Exact and accurate.

By definition, Rolex guarantees their (green seal) watches to be exact and accurate to within +/- 2 seconds per day.

That it. No 'ifs", no "buts" and no "subject to" anything.

If that's not what Rolex means, they would undoubtedly have written it differently.

I've presented facts, documents, Rolex's own written statements and now a definition.

You and Roddypeepa have presented nothing other than an assumption that Rolex "Superlative" certification is just the same as COSC but to a smaller margin.

Old 13 May 2024, 01:20 AM   #106
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
This might be the most boorish thread I have come across in recent time.

People can critique the fine print in Rolex marketing all they want, the +\-2 seconds is under a specific set of lab conditions

It's not fine print. And it absolutely would stand up in law in my country.

Go on then. If you are so certain (and don't understand the meaning of the word "guarantees") prove to us all that the +/- 2spd only applies to a specific set of lab conditions.

Old 13 May 2024, 01:21 AM   #107
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You should tag your grievance on to the Rolex class action lawsuit

Carry on.

Old 13 May 2024, 01:25 AM   #108
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

This certification, unique to the Rolex Manufacture, guarantees an exceptional precision of –2/+2 seconds per day

Thats an on an event (certification) something else applies (the guarantee of exceptional precision)

Precision

Exact and accurate.

By definition, Rolex guarantees their (green seal) watches to be exact and accurate to within +/- 2 seconds per day.

If that's not what Rolex means, they would undoubtedly have written it differently.

I've presented facts, documents, Rolex's own written statements and now a definition.

You and Roddypeepa have presented nothing other than an assumption that Rolex "Superlative" certification is just the same as COSC but to a smaller margin.

Well let's hope many sue Rolex as like any mechanical movement there could be daily slight variations.And even the original poster should sue Rolex because his watch is 1.5 seconds outside guaranteed spec.But doubt if he or anyone would get an compensation,the term superlative chronometer has been on Rolex dials for 60 years.And the main reasons for Rolex to change to this new -2+2 is the Omega done it first.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 01:43 AM   #109
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
It seems there are two people who are ALWAYS right:

*His wife
*Devil Dog

What a thoroughly informative thread that has been and, I’m sure you’ll all agree one reason why we all love TRF so much.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that to us.

Nah mate. I’m not always right.

I’ve just presented the facts as they are available.

Rather than running with assumptions

Old 13 May 2024, 01:46 AM   #110
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well let's hope many sue Rolex as like any mechanical movement there could be daily slight variations.And even the original poster should sue Rolex because his watch is 1.5 seconds outside guaranteed spec.But doubt if he or anyone would get an compensation,the term superlative chronometer has been on Rolex dials for 60 years.And the main reasons for Rolex to change to this new -2+2 is the Omega done it first.

We know.

No one is suing Rolex. No one will get compensation. You’re just being silly now Peter.

Consumers will (and are) getting regulation under warranty however.

Those that care enough to ask for it

Old 13 May 2024, 02:02 AM   #111
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Consumers will (and are) getting regulation under warranty however.

Those that care enough to ask for it …
Precisely

In all honesty, Rolex painted themselves into a corner with this advertised spec.

I’d hazard a guess that the vast majority of owners don’t have a clue if their watch isn’t keeping time with +2/-2 seconds a day. I certainly don’t.

That said, to those that care enough to check, then it would appear as though the new Rolex 32xx movements aren’t the way to go or at the very least they are a big gamble, one which I personally wouldn’t be willing to take based on the data thread
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 02:20 AM   #112
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

New Sub 126040 - 3230 losing time

Quote:

Precision

Exact and accurate.

This certainly isn’t the first time that this has been discussed on here:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=706110 to name but one.

I think that if I have this right, COSC has an average daily rate of plus 6 to minus 4 tested over a number of positions, at a range of temperatures and so on.

Devil is correct in that I/ Peter cannot prove that “superlative” is not an absolute guarantee of within 2 seconds of zero, all the time, with full range of mainspring wind and at any point within 5 years of purchase.

However, in the real world these will be tested on machine, after casing, and with a range positions and other conditions and averaged. I’d bet my house on it but at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter if the OP’s watch is genuinely playing up then take it in. However, I advised watch it for a while and see about different testing positions, give it a full wind etc is all sensible advice. No need to jump the gun…

I cannot prove this is how it is done when Rolex are testing “superlative”but common sense would dictate that in any manufacturing process quality control would mean a range of tests, an average is taken and we move on.

I do now agree with him that anyone has the right to take a watch in if it’s even a tiny fraction of a second outside this range but as I’ve said before I do not think that in a lot of cases any actual work would get done once they’ve put it on one of their timing machines and made a judgement.

But just because it is a very small margin outside of this in every day conditions we don’t know about this individual case. The OP asked a question, I and others chipped in with our advice. My advice is no less relevant than Devil’s. He argues well but in the whole time I have been in to this hobby that is my understanding. It would actually be very unreasonable for any one of us to expect a watch to be plus minus two for 5 years. It doesn’t mean it can’t and doesn’t happen but it’s a marvel that in the vast majority of cases they run to well within basic COSC standards that whole time.

Some of the people reading this thread with their popcorn out will agree with him, some with Padi and some couldn’t give a damn either way. One of the other posters is right - this is becoming extremely boorish which I regret and was never my intention.

I will reiterate what I meant yesterday: you have argued your point very well from a legal point of view. But you don’t know either how Rolex come to the superlative standard unless you are keeping your cards very close to your chest.

I don’t care one jot about the legalities of it - I’m interested in watchmaking and horology in general, not value, not marketing, not legal speak, not people wanting to massage their egos by catching well meaning posters out with legalities or bamboozling some others with legal jargon and carefully pasted statements from the Rolex website. That’s why I’m here.

I recently took a break from the forum because it had become stale with no availability, lots of boring no availability posts, loads of should I ask my AD x or y, loads of flexing incomings.

What I’d really like to see is a Rolex service centre technician or similar come on here and give us the truth because I think both sides of the argument raise some very interesting technical questions - exactly the kind we are interested in answering/hearing.

I think most of us who have been around a while, including you like discussing the technical side of the hobby much more than all the other value, availability nonsense. Long may that continue.

Old 13 May 2024, 02:32 AM   #113
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Precisely

In all honesty, Rolex painted themselves into a corner with this advertised spec.

I’d hazard a guess that the vast majority of owners don’t have a clue if their watch isn’t keeping time with +2/-2 seconds a day. I certainly don’t.

That said, to those that care enough to check, then it would appear as though the new Rolex 32xx movements aren’t the way to go or at the very least they are a big gamble, one which I personally wouldn’t be willing to take based on the data thread
So this is the first rationalized response to what is being presented here. I agree wholeheartedly with the first two paragraphs. The third I'm not so sure about. I'm not convinced this is an endemic issue. Again, only my anecdote, I think the worst case scenario is that most watches with the 32xx movement are functioning around COSC spec. That's not enough to convince me to not buy a Rolex.

I am not a technical expert, but I can think critically. Until someone can tell me exactly what the problem with the 32xx movement is, it's all just anecdote. Maybe it's the physician in me, but diagnose the problem. If there's an issue, I'd be the first to send all of my pieces with this movement back to Rolex for the fix. The problem is, no one can.

Do I see a trend wherein my Omega watches tend to keep tighter time than my Rolex pieces? Yes. This hasn't changed from when I started collecting seriously in 2008. I have 32xx movements from the introduction of the Datejust 41 which I purchased in 2017 all the way through a 126613LB I purchased two months ago. This also includes a 124060 and 126710BLRO. Not a single piece has a single issue and certainly the older models should have shown problems by now based on the reports of some people.

I say all of this to say not that other people's experiences aren't valid or worthy of correction under warranty. But to take those experiences and characterize them as an endemic issue just doesn't pass the same whiff test that the countless others whose references run perfect.

My opinion, and purely my opinion, is that if you want to hold Rolex's feet to the fire on this issue; be by guest. You won't win, other that possibly getting your movement regulated. Which, by the way, there are an equal number of anecdotes of this occuring and people getting back watches that continue to run out of spec in a completely different fashion.
Old 13 May 2024, 02:35 AM   #114
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's not fine print. And it absolutely would stand up in law in my country.

Go on then. If you are so certain (and don't understand the meaning of the word "guarantees") prove to us all that the +/- 2spd only applies to a specific set of lab conditions.
As I said, boorish... Go on then, look up the word boorish and prove to me your posts don’t meet this definition.

I do not have a single watch in my collection from numerous brands and ages that runs +2/-2 over several weeks of testing if worn "normally" (however we want to define that). These include watches that if you leave them on the timegrapher will run with +/-0 results. If that's Rolex screwing up with their own marketing making this a guarantee that people will cling to with unrealistic expectations then that IS on them. Thinking critically and with experience, I can easily see that to expect this is unrealistic.
Old 13 May 2024, 02:58 AM   #115
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of the people reading this thread with their popcorn out will agree with him, some with Padi and some couldn’t give a damn either way. One of the other posters is right - this is becoming extremely boorish which I regret and was never my intention.
It's not you. This forum IS for asking questions. I have no doubt there are owners out there whose watches need regulation. That is nothing new and for anyone who has been collecting for some time will attest to regardless of the calibre.

What's tiring with these threads is the certainty with which people think their anecdote is fact, including my own. If people want to take it up with Rolex that their advertising doesn't hold up in real world use; be my guest. If you've been at his hobby for long enough, wear your watches normally, and think critically its very easy to see that regardless of what Rolex claims their watches can do, almost no brand can properly accomplish on a long enough timeline with normal wear and variation.
Old 13 May 2024, 02:59 AM   #116
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
It's not you. This forum IS for asking questions. I have no doubt there are owners out there whose watches need regulation. That is nothing new and for anyone who has been collecting for some time will attest to regardless of the calibre.

What's tiring with these threads is the certainty with which people think their anecdote is fact, including my own. If people want to take it up with Rolex that their advertising doesn't hold up in real world use; be my guest. If you've been at his hobby for long enough, wear your watches normally, and think critically its very easy to see that regardless of what Rolex claims their watches can do, almost no brand can properly accomplish on a long enough timeline with normal wear and variation.

I couldn’t agree more

Old 13 May 2024, 03:17 AM   #117
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more

Absolutely. This is an obsessive hobby. That’s nothing new. I can’t speak for Padi, I just hope to inject my own amateur experiences as well as a counterpoint to others which are also equally valid.
Old 13 May 2024, 03:25 AM   #118
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Omega is 0 to + 5 per day. Pretty sure. The ones I have and have run/ran about +2 seconds per week.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 04:10 AM   #119
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Omega is 0 to + 5 per day. Pretty sure. The ones I have and have run/ran about +2 seconds per week.

My omega master chronometer is minus three and is guaranteed to 0-plus 5.
Was originally spot on for about a month.

Old 13 May 2024, 05:47 AM   #120
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
No doubt. When you factor in the number of owners that have bought a Rolex as a special occasion watch to be worn maybe 4 times a year, those that never even bother to set the time, those that have no idea it’s even a mechanical timepiece, those that actually never wear theirs, those that simply do not care, etc. The big thread represents, imho, a very small subset of owners. But not knowing about a thing doesn’t make the thing nonexistent.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote