The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2020, 06:25 AM   #91
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
no offense taken whatsoever, but there you go again, "the sky is falling".

By OCD I mean hypersensitive to scratches, especially when left by other people.

I am not surprised that you claim that you would not care if you lose the factory finish and factory sharp lines, as you clearly do not care about keeping your watch in decent condition. Well, you do now with your two-tone, the submariner, well, that ship has sailed. Your property, your choice.

Stay safe and enjoy and good health.

Edit: to answer you question : yes, absolutely, your edges remain factory sharp.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
The vast majority of people won't notice your Rolex, let alone the sharp edges, they're too busy on their smart phone. I'm in the wear it and forget it camp, I'll let my heirs worry about what it's worth. Why get a watch if you won't wear it? It probably won't be in new condition, just like your new car won't be in a few years. Biking, hunting, fishing, gym, shower, ocean swimming, pickleball, travel anywhere, I can't think of a thing I don't wear my Exp. II 16570 for, but then I got it used pre-loved so it already had some wear, the next service will take care of some of that. And some here say when theirs gets worn they'll get a new one, why? So you can start the process all over again?

It's like buying a Land Rover and never taking it off road so it doesn't get hurt.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:30 AM   #92
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
The vast majority of people won't notice your Rolex, let alone the sharp edges, they're too busy on their smart phone. I'm in the wear it and forget it camp, I'll let my heirs worry about what it's worth.

It's like buying a Land Rover and never taking it off road so it doesn't get hurt.
Not the best analogy but I'll take it. One thing you said definitely resonated with me though: these watches I have are not going anywhere, other than to my kids. I am very confident of that. You know I often think to myself that it's maybe "too much" the way I take care of these things, as they will outlive me, and there is almost no way that they will take care of them to the same degree when I am gone. Perhaps for the better.

It's nice for me to look after it for them and enjoy it, but one scratch or two is not going to make a difference for them down the line. So although you do not need my validation, I definitely see where you're coming from and it I have to agree.

JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:35 AM   #93
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Not the best analogy but I'll take it. One thing you said definitely resonated with me though: these watches I have are not going anywhere, other than to my kids. I am very confident of that. You know I often think to myself that it's maybe "too much" the way I take care of these things, as they will outlive me, and there is almost no way that they will take care of them to the same degree when I am gone. Perhaps for the better.
Some of our kids will appreciate fine watches and that's great, but I would bet most handed down ones sit in a drawer somewhere. Seems most young adults don't wear a watch or they have a smart watch.

I can sort of see the 'baby it' view if you have a blingy PM model, but not my style, the under the radar Exp. II 16570 works for me.
Old 7 October 2020, 06:38 AM   #94
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of our kids will appreciate fine watches and that's great, but I would bet most handed down ones sit in a drawer somewhere.
My daughter has been talking about my gold sub since she was about 2 years old. Both of them really love turning the bezel, with padded gloves of course. Just joking about the padded gloves.

Maybe it's in our blood? Father was a proprietor in the jewelry district, and jewelry, watches and similar accessories are commonly worn in my community. But you never know...

Old 7 October 2020, 06:39 AM   #95
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I wear my 16613 every day. I love the watch and the fact that I don’t have to worry about it, because it’s literally just a watch. I’d love to pass it down to one of my kids and that’s the plan. I’m not going to baby it and not enjoy it because I want them to get a better watch to sell or even enjoy. They will most likely be well taken care of well beyond needing dads Rolex so the watch is mine to enjoy and wear as I wish. For those of you that feel the need to put yours on a pedestal that’s fine as well if it makes you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:41 AM   #96
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
My daughter has been talking about my gold sub since she was about 2 years old. Both of them really love turning the bezel, with padded gloves of course. Just joking about the padded gloves.

Maybe it's in our blood? Father was a proprietor in the jewelry district, and jewelry, watches and similar accessories are commonly worn in my community. But you never know...

Good for you, it will be all the more meaningful being one of your possessions, I'm the same way with my dad's 1603 DJ bought in 1984. Very meaningful now that's he's gone, thinking it was once powered by his movements.

I had a dealer once tell me don't wear a Rolex in the ocean in case a pin fell out and it was lost, what are diving watches for? Or insurance for that matter.
Old 7 October 2020, 06:41 AM   #97
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
I think the line is being blurred between what is normal wear and tear and what is careless abuse. I have scratches on all my watches from wearing them for 99% of my day and I couldn't care less, yeah you bump a door jamb or table it happens. I think its another to just trash your stuff. There was the link to the fellow with his 40yo sub and of course it had scratches, but not even close to the guy who had his for 2 years. I get enjoying something but don't get deliberately being careless with it. When I work on my car I take the watch off, wash up then put it back on. Its your watch you can drive nails with it if you want. I take my Range Rover down trails when we go out to the country, but I don't go mud bogging with it. I also don't pick up lumber and concrete in my Ferrari or go off roading with it. Again, you bought it its your money do as you like. I just never understood wrecking something valuable if you don't have to.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:46 AM   #98
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good for you, it will be all the more meaningful being one of your possessions, I'm the same way with my dad's 1603 DJ bought in 1984. Very meaningful now that's he's gone, thinking it was once powered by his movements.
Yup. I'm that way with the 1500 OP from 1965 he gave me with a custom dial. I have to grudgingly admit that I do get some extra joy being able to wear the watch, without any protectives whatsoever, freely, and I like the patina it has. Very comfortable. It has its own sense of value, a great one, my first rolex, given to me by my old man, he's also gone.

Old 7 October 2020, 07:00 AM   #99
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
I think the line is being blurred between what is normal wear and tear and what is careless abuse. I have scratches on all my watches from wearing them for 99% of my day and I couldn't care less, yeah you bump a door jamb or table it happens. I think its another to just trash your stuff. There was the link to the fellow with his 40yo sub and of course it had scratches, but not even close to the guy who had his for 2 years. I get enjoying something but don't get deliberately being careless with it. When I work on my car I take the watch off, wash up then put it back on. Its your watch you can drive nails with it if you want. I take my Range Rover down trails when we go out to the country, but I don't go mud bogging with it. I also don't pick up lumber and concrete in my Ferrari or go off roading with it. Again, you bought it its your money do as you like. I just never understood wrecking something valuable if you don't have to.
Well said. I also don't mind using something for its intended purpose. My personality is just more towards caring for my things that I worked hard to get. Enjoying it to me means something different than what is described by OP.
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:01 AM   #100
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:

This exactly. Be reasonable but not a jerk with your stuff. It’s like lighting an open fire in your porch. You could but should you? Ok I exaggerate but yeah I see what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:19 AM   #101
Shan77
"TRF" Member

Mines well worn (7 years in rotation but mainly Wearing the SubC) but nowhere like this well worn.....
I love its character and I’m sure mine will look like this in time.
Shan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:20 AM   #102
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
This is a sub being used for its intended use

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...the-golden-sub
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:25 AM   #103
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
This is a sub being used for its intended use

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...the-golden-sub
Yes, I've seen that article, from back when Rolex was a tool watch (albeit a gold one in this unique case), not expensive jewelry.
Old 7 October 2020, 07:26 AM   #104
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan77 View Post
Mines well worn (7 years in rotation but mainly Wearing the SubC) but nowhere like this well worn.....
I love its character and I’m sure mine will look like this in time.
Take some pics of it in artificial lighting for us? My watch is actually in far better condition than it appears here when seen in daylight.. dim artificial light will show all the swirls and otherwise invisible marks.

Not abused - worn and enjoyed.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:55 AM   #105
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Take some pics of it in artificial lighting for us? My watch is actually in far better condition than it appears here when seen in daylight.. dim artificial light will show all the swirls and otherwise invisible marks.

Not abused - worn and enjoyed.
Almost all watches will show micro-scratches and swirls under the right conditions.
Old 7 October 2020, 08:01 AM   #106
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I understand you like to use it. Me too love to have a Rolex on my wrist but not banging it deliberately up when doing mechanical works or similar. Maybe the damage to the watch is huger than the saving of do-it-yourself mechanical works. The same for other works, as home restoration. I've always kept my watches in perfect order using them. So it's not an EITHER OR question, it's a pity to bang them up I believe..
Old 7 October 2020, 09:36 AM   #107
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
You must shower with a loofah. Nice watch
Old 7 October 2020, 09:39 AM   #108
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

I was just thinking today (my sub-c is my daily) I don’t care how scratched you it gets as long as the insert doesn’t get scratched or cracked lol
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 09:40 AM   #109
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay89 View Post
I was just thinking today (my sub-c is my daily) I don’t care how scratched you it gets as long as the insert doesn’t get scratched or cracked lol
....which would be an easy fix.
Old 7 October 2020, 10:39 AM   #110
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

This shiny thing is really pretty. I'd rather not bang it up

Old 7 October 2020, 10:48 AM   #111
jkadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
wow I feel so much better about my retired 16610 after 25 years and seeing these pics. I did not know you could get scratches in some of those places. Well done.
jkadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 12:50 PM   #112
mtasquared
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 Submariner
Here is my 31-year old piece. Serviced and refinished at NYC RSC 9 years ago. They left the bezel almost unrefinished, but restored the rest of the watch. I like the history of adventures that was left showing, amidst the polished and new surfaces. Definitely the watchmaker curated the scratches - it was not a soulless restoration to mint.

Old 7 October 2020, 02:08 PM   #113
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for posting this! Warms my heart to see others who also enjoy their accumulated scratches, dings, etc. I don't do much manual work involving impacts, so my watches have far fewer scratches than yours. But whenever I send a watch in for servicing, I ensure that "DO NOT POLISH ANYTHING" is written in more than one place. That applies to precious metal watches too. And when buying a preowned watch, I'd much rather have one with scratches/dings from prior owners than one that was refinished/polished. In fact, in recent years I bought two preowned watches (one steel, one gold) that came with large dings on the bezels. In both cases, the sellers offered to have the dings repaired at their expense prior to shipping me the watches. I said "Absolutely not -- I want it with all of its accumulated signs of prior ownership/use -- not a preowned watch masquerading as new!" That's just personal preference, of course. I totally understand/respect those who feel differently (e.g., those who treat a Rolex as a piece of luxury jewelry -- makes sense because they're not cheap items).

I got a DSSD 126660 JC about 2 months ago, but due to COVID I mostly wear it at home. As a result, it shows few signs of use/wear. Late laast week, for the first time, I finally banged it really hard into a table (during a Zoom call when I was reaching for water, lol). I had a moment of major panic -- not about the Rolex but about the table, because it's a thick glass table. Thankfully, the table was fine, and I smiled when I saw that the watch finally now had my first noticeable sign of ownership -- a small ding on the bezel near the 7 o'clock marker. "It's about time," I said to myself.

The one thing about your watch that I'd be careful about are the chips on the crystal. I'd worry about moisture incursions and would want to maintain the integrity of all the seals/gaskets.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 03:41 PM   #114
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Damn that's only after 2 years? I would've thought more like 12. I'm a lot more relaxed now with seeing wear on my watches vs when I first started wearing Rolexes. I would freak out every time I breathed on the PCL's and they scratched. I still practice wrist awareness whenever I'm wearing my Rolexes but now it doesn't bother me when I pick up another scratch on the clasp. Not sure if I would ever get to your comfort level, OP, but bravo for actually wearing the hell out of your watch! Update us in another 2 years, I'm curious to see how it would look.
Old 7 October 2020, 03:44 PM   #115
MBYSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Patek
Love this thread. They're all meant to be worn and enjoyed to the extent of ones particular interpretation of that rhetoric.
Old 7 October 2020, 08:08 PM   #116
Dip14
"TRF" Member

It’s been loved and still being loved. That’s all that matters.

I hope you continue to enjoy your watch.
Dip14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 08:22 PM   #117
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Everyone is entitled to use whatever they have whichever way they want, I have a 4 year old S Class, a 4 year old iPhone and both still look almost brand new even though I drive/use every day, when my Bluesy reaches that age I expect it will also look almost new although I will wear nearly every day, that is me, the only right way to treat your belongings is your way.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 08:29 PM   #118
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

More pictures! Regardless of how you wear your watch it is interesting to see.
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 08:51 PM   #119
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I’m still laughing at ‘Pickleball.’ What even is that? This is a thing this pickleball?
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #120
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
This shiny thing is really pretty. I'd rather not bang it up

Looks like it’s missing some 3m helicopter tape ...
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote