The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 2012, 03:40 AM   #121
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The the main difference between a Rolex Sub and say a Tudor Sub is they used a top range Chronometer grade ETA a first class all in-house built movement but not Rolex made
You sure about that?

Since when did ETA become "in-house".

If that's true the we can finally stop the Omega bashing on TRF!
Old 31 May 2012, 05:35 AM   #122
gazp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Ceramic Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why does anyone buy a Tudor well I will tell you why, first they are very fine watches, and they tell the time remarkably well just like there Rolex brothers..The Tudor line go back to the 1920s then they were mainly sold in Canada and Europe, Rolex or Tudor watches were not sold then in the USA then,it was very much later the the Rolex brand arrived for sale in the USA.Hans Wilsdorf from the RWC first opened Tudor watch to world wide production in 1946. And one of the main reasons why he chose the brand name Tudor,was simply that he wanted to pay tribute to the Tudor history period of old England.

The Tudor line prior to around 1990 was all Rolex except for movement,Tudor watches are made by Rolex. The major difference between a Tudor and a Rolex is that Rolex contracted the manufacturing of the movement out to a 3rd party manufacturer (ETA in 95% of them) much like Rolex did with there chrongraphs before 2000 they used ETA Valoux and Zenith movements. The ETA ebauche movements were made to Rolex's specifications and signed Tudor. This movement was then sent to Rolex where it was assembled into a watch with all Rolex remaining parts (Rolex case, bezel, strap or bracelet,dial, crystal and crown, seals, etc.). These parts were the same parts used in the Rolex line of watches. The Tudor movements are high grade 17, 21, 25, or 26 jewel Automatic or Manual movements which when correctly cleaned, timed, and oiled, will keep time almost as well as any normal Rolex would but might need more regulation over the years.

The case screw backs were engraved original oyster case by Rolex,on all the oyster models.In the gold or TT models Tudor uses genuine solid gold Rolex bezels and crown caps, but their bracelets are normally only gold filled,to reduce the cost while Rolex uses solid gold in their bracelets.The French Navy (among others) opted for the Tudor Submariner,instead of the Rolex Sub.
The French Navy demanded rigorous testing and tested several brands These watches were tested to carefully calibrated abusive tests in an attempt to destroy them to see how much abuse it could take before losing accuracy or malfunctioning .After testing they choose the Tudor and the only thing the French navy didn't order was the Oyster bracelet.They chose a nylon strap because it would be much more easy to change,and easily replaced if broken.And today the only step down in quality with Tudor watches in general is the price.The the main difference between a Rolex Sub and say a Tudor Sub is they used a top range Chronometer grade ETA a first class all in-house built movement but not Rolex made,and in watches like the Tudor Prince they used a light Oyster bracelet, on Subs they used the heavy Oyster bracelet.Now today the Tudor line has quite a heritage with Hans Wilsdorf the founder of Rolex.

In todays market quite a few vintage Tudor watches command higher prices than there Rolex brothers same could be said for Rolex, many of the most collectible Rolex dont have a Rolex made movement but ones from ETA Valjoux and Zenith .The Tudor line are still made in the same now highly automated factory as Rolex.While now would agree the Aeronaut,Hydronaut range are not quite as good as the Oyster cased ones but its still very very close.Tudor are still a very important part of the Rolex history and are great watches in there own right.But today with many they dont wear a watch they just wear a brand which IMHO is quite sad.
Old 31 May 2012, 05:50 AM   #123
dimster
"TRF" Member

If there is a watch I WILL buy, it's the new Tudor Black Bay on a steel bracelet.
I'm literally drooling all over the place when I see that watch. And for the rumored MSRP och 3250 CHF (you do the math), it's a bargain.
I'd rather have the Tudor than an Omega Seamaster or a Breitling Superocean.

I'm going to step in to the AD and tell them to

Seriously just look at it!
Old 31 May 2012, 06:48 AM   #124
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I just got my first Tudor, a Big Block. I haven't loved a watch this much in a very long time. The value doesn't hurt either.
Old 31 May 2012, 07:42 AM   #125
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon View Post
Wow....this is quite a place.

My original question was more curious than anything....knowing very little about Tudor.

To me, being a casual enthusiast, I never understood the Tudor thing.....now I do.....well, sort of.......sheeeesh!!!

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

I'll stick with Rolex......thanks.
Your opening remarks were very rude towards Tudor owners, therefore you received the same feedback. However, you continued to be rude with this follow up post..... Therefore since this is "quite a place" maybe you should find a NEW place or begin to treat peoples choices with a bit more respect.

Sorry for being blunt, but it needed to be said!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 31 May 2012, 07:47 AM   #126
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I'm currently restoring or attempting to restore a vintage Tudor day-date in stainless. I love the Rolex day-date, but most seem to be gold and I'm more of a stainless kind of guy for that particular shape of watch. In gold, I wear vintage Universal Geneves or one of my vintage Breitlings. Get the perfect marriage of form and function that suits you and moves you. Never spend your money on what anyone expects of you, it's your money. I wear a 55mm Nixon in the pool, it gets as many comments as many of my $4K watches and it was $178. Can't please everyone, may as well please yourself.
Old 31 May 2012, 08:35 AM   #127
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

rich history, interesting designs, good prices, whats not to love?
Old 31 May 2012, 09:45 AM   #128
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

My original question was more curious than anything....knowing very little about Tudor.

To me, being a casual enthusiast, I never understood the Tudor thing.....now I do.....well, sort of.......sheeeesh!!!

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

It is not a contest.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 31 May 2012, 09:52 AM   #129
sixers_610
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...I realize I'm kinda new, but having owned, bought and sold about a dozen various Rolexes over the years, why would anyone buy a Tudor?

Is it price alone? I can't imagine having to say over and over..."Uh yes, it is a Rolex....really it is...It's made by Rolex...etc..."

I don't get it.....can someone explain?

Thanks

Cause some of us arent that insecure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 31 May 2012, 09:56 AM   #130
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

" I'll stick with Rolex ... thanks".

Seriously you were given some very detailed information on history and quality and this is what your take away was:
"Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex "

To quote you... sheeeesh!!!
Old 31 May 2012, 10:30 AM   #131
Oyster Junkie
Banned

Watch: Idiot Savant
This thread is a classic example of cognitive dissonance. The OP has his gestalt set as Rolex being superior for the mere fact he paid a lot of money for it. It is a human fallacy; we think the more we invest (in certain things) that it is better due to the high investment. It is no different than a detective who continues to hunt for the wrong person for the mere fact of the time and effort invested even though the person is obviously not guilty.

Tudors have grown on me, but in all truthfullness, I have not seen any of the newer models and the Tudor Subs are very nice. If they were more easily available, I would definitely get one in the future.

Bashing Tudor on TRF is WIS suicide...lol

I smell a BAN Hammer for the OP. Regardless of your opinions, you are obviously an insecure person; refer to my empirical psych paragraph above.

Stupid is as stupid does and there is a village idiot everywhere...even on TRF.
Old 31 May 2012, 10:53 AM   #132
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

Yes...this is 'quite a place'....and no....you're analogy above is incorrect. There is no vs. Not sure based on this how you suggest you 'sort of' understand the 'Tudor thing'. You don't .... Perhaps in time you will.....but for now enjoy your Rolex. After all....you don't have to explain what it is to all those who want to know what you wear on your wrist.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
Old 31 May 2012, 11:08 AM   #133
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Uh... Yeah, What a question. So I don't get banned I'll just say I love Rolex and will probably always own one. But there are some incredible Tudors out there and to all my fellow Wises that choose to own Tudors, congrats and wear them in good health my friends!
Old 31 May 2012, 11:49 AM   #134
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Dude. I don't think you get it. Rolex is a brand.....Tudor is a brand.....there are many others. Buy what you like. Most people on here don't buy a watch based on who it will impress.

I feel this thread was started to stir up the pot IMHO.

-Eddie
Old 31 May 2012, 12:05 PM   #135
coralhound
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs/JLC MCalendar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I sold a white-dial stainless steel Daytona because I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a date function. I bought a Tudor Tiger because it did. The blue Tudor Submariner is a watch I wish Rolex would make in SS. I love both of them as much as I like my Rolexes. For me, it's about quality and appearance.

Amen! I NEED a blue Tudor Sub!!!! Help me! Lol
Old 31 May 2012, 12:46 PM   #136
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Last year I walked into the bar at the marina that where I keep my boat. The harbor master was having a drink after work and there were some members there hanging out with him.

The 4 members were from other countries. All very wealthy businessmen that keep their yachts there. I mean brand new yachts in the $4-7 million range. The point I am making is that these guys have some scratch. They were wearing some gold pieces and SS. I can't remember the brands but one was wearing a gold AP ROO of some sort.

They were asking the harbor master about his beat up Tudor snowflake. The guy had no idea what he was wearing. He received the watch from his late father-in-law.

The men wearing watches that are worth more than some salaries in this country, were dumbstruck by seeing a Tudor. In their countries they don't see them. They were trying to offer the guy money to sell. I told them that they are available on the internet, but they didn't trust buying anything over the net. These were some old money dudes that came from South America.

I hope this helps explain the allure that Tudors have. To those that know and understand watches and finer things in life, it isn't always about a price tag. It is more a style and rarity thing. When I started wearing a Panerai back in 2005, most of the watch "geniuses" I know kept asking me why I wouldn't just buy a Rolex? I explained that I wanted to be different and I had done some research into Panerai and it grabbed me. Now there are plenty of Panerai in Miami (nothing like Rolex), but for a short period of time, I enjoyed wearing an awesome watch that most thought was worth $100. I prefer it that way. But that's just me.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Old 31 May 2012, 01:39 PM   #137
vmm
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

The strong responses you're getting is due to the fact that many of us have heard the above analogies that you're mentioning amongst the lay public and obviously disagree very strongly. It's certainly not a common opinion held among the WIS crowd. Certainly if you're looking for a watch that will impress and say that I've got disposable income Rolex or any number of other choices will fit the bill. To make the generalizations up above simply misses the point. My understanding is that Tudor was pulled from the US so as not to detract from the Rolex brand. Take that as you will. In my mind, it's clear that Tudor is going in different and bolder directions than Rolex. Certainly change coming out of Rolex can be glacial. Before passing judgment you should see one in person and try it on. They have a cult following for a reason. Great fit and finish and by no means a cheap throwaway watch. A better analogy than the ones you've mentioned above would be Audi versus Porsche. Those who are concerned about labels are simply not going to get over the fact that some people consider them "poor man's rolexes." To each their own. If you see one in person, you'll be impressed.
Old 31 May 2012, 03:37 PM   #138
Lrd2sea
"TRF" Member

Well said, QCASANOVA and Vmm, you are both very polite.
Old 31 May 2012, 05:24 PM   #139
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Seven View Post
You sure about that?

Since when did ETA become "in-house".

If that's true the we can finally stop the Omega bashing on TRF!
Well ETA Valjoux is owned by the Swatch group who make Omega and from the 1940s ETA Valjoux movements were in the Rolex chronographs like the 6263/5.And today ETA make quite a few movements thats used by many high end brands, and yes ETA Valjoux make movements and ebauche movement everything in-house

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 31 May 2012, 05:26 PM   #140
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
Pelon

Tudor might be easier on the wallet than Rolex but it doesn't mean it's of lesser quality.
Old 31 May 2012, 05:29 PM   #141
learningtofly

Watch: Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Then trying to explain otherwise is an effort in futility. Why do you care?
dP
Couldn't have put it better

OP, ever heard of "Veblen goods"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good)

How about "conspicuous consumption"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption)
Old 1 June 2012, 01:06 AM   #142
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

How about "conspicuous consumption"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption)

POST OF THE DAY!!!!

I have a contract with a company that owns over 17,000 apartments in Florida. One owner's net worth is just over a billion and the other is somewhere in the 3/4 of a billion. One drives a GMC Sierra and the other a Volvo.

Inversely, one has a jet and the other a 120' mega yacht. Priorities. If you saw them driving in the street, you wouldn't ever think that they have more than an average salary. I model myself after people like that. No need to impress. Not saying that Rolex is just to impress, but lets be honest, there are plenty of people that buy the brand ROLEX because they want to turn heads. The only thing is, that true WIS and really wealthy people understand that Rolex is a tool watch. So, these status seeking people are making an arse of themselves.

Anyone that chooses Rolex over Tudor solely based on perceived status or image will never "get" it or probably doesn't want to.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Old 1 June 2012, 05:49 AM   #143
ralpie

I have a feeling the OP just wants none of us to buy the Black Bay or Pelagos so that he can get his hands on one easily. I wish I thought of that!
Old 1 June 2012, 06:41 AM   #144
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpie View Post
I have a feeling the OP just wants none of us to buy the Black Bay or Pelagos so that he can get his hands on one easily. I wish I thought of that!
I have a feeling the OP is regretting ever posting this thread
Old 1 June 2012, 07:07 AM   #145
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I have 10 Rolexes in my watch box, but I'm wearing this today:

IMAG0610.jpg

What WOULD the OP say about THAT? Why in the world would I buy something like this??? BECAUSE I WANT TO! Not worried about what others might think.
Old 1 June 2012, 02:01 PM   #146
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
I have 10 Rolexes in my watch box, but I'm wearing this today:

Attachment 284508

What WOULD the OP say about THAT? Why in the world would I buy something like this??? BECAUSE I WANT TO! Not worried about what others might think.
Ah my grail...$#!+ but now someone else has one
Old 4 June 2012, 12:33 PM   #147
Johnny Fever

Quote:

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

RE: Your characterization of the analagous relationship between automobiles and timepieces although interesting, seems to slightly off.

Car and watch afficianados would most likely say: Bentley vs. Rolls Royce.
Old 4 June 2012, 03:50 PM   #148
Johnny Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Thanks for the knowledge on "Veblen Goods", good stuff. Smarter = Better
Old 6 June 2012, 09:59 PM   #149
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Tudor is Rolex's other brand.
They seem to know what they're doing.
Old 7 June 2012, 08:28 AM   #150
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Why would anyone buy a Tudor?

1 Many of us own a lineup of both Rollies and Tudors. It's not one vs. the other, it's one AND. the other......

2 Please keep in mind that some of our Tudors are significantly more expensive than many of our vintage Rollies, and definitely way more expensive than most modern-day ones.

3 When you are into watches and can afford more than one, there are things in Tudor that Rolex has not dared make. I'm talking the Snowflakes in particular. I love that watch c, and many of them command prices over and above a brand new SS Sub.

4. Personally I'm beyond wearing a watch for the social recognition. I wear it for the personal enjoyment and that of other enthusiasts. I am sure some people believe that my yellowish watches are poor fakes. I don't blame them for that, and I could not care less.
Closed Thread