The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2020, 09:11 AM   #121
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
OP, are you concerned that you have potentially compromised your integrity as a watch dealer by going public with this modified watch on a worldwide forum? The fact that the watch has been fitted with FAKE, not "aftermarket" parts may hurt you as a businessman in the future. I can personally say I would think twice about doing business with you after seeing the watch and this thread. It might be a bit different if the dial and insert were OEM Rolex parts. But they are not.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:13 AM   #122
kumar75203
Banned

He clearly stated up front what he did. Some of you guys wear underwear that's too tight.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:15 AM   #123
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
You guys are being a bit dramatic here. I have an S550 that did not come from the factory with the rear wing or the wheels I wanted. I purchased MB parts to add the wing to the trunk and swapped the wheels for AMG wheels that I wanted. It did not come from the factory like that and these options are not on the VMI for the car but who cares. I modded the car to make it look the way I wanted. I would do this and may do it as I want a blue SS watch, not the black as I already have one. Buy what you like and customize it the way you want.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:43 AM   #124
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
He clearly stated up front what he did. Some of you guys wear underwear that's too tight.
He stated the parts were "aftermarket". BS. They are fake. "Aftermarket" parts do not have the word "ROLEX" or any of it's trademarks printed on them. There is a big difference. You can purchase an "aftermarket" 18K President bracelet, but there will be no Rolex coronet on the clasp nor any markings on a genuine Rolex bracelet. If the OP had sourced genuine Rolex parts, it would have made a big difference. The watch would still be Rolex and not a Franken watch.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:45 AM   #125
hectorlopez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
You guys are being a bit dramatic here. I have an S550 that did not come from the factory with the rear wing or the wheels I wanted. I purchased MB parts to add the wing to the trunk and swapped the wheels for AMG wheels that I wanted. It did not come from the factory like that and these options are not on the VMI for the car but who cares. I modded the car to make it look the way I wanted. I would do this and may do it as I want a blue SS watch, not the black as I already have one. Buy what you like and customize it the way you want.
Yours are factory options, OP's were not. But to each their own.
H
hectorlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:47 AM   #126
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Quote:
He stated the parts were "aftermarket". BS. They are fake. "Aftermarket" parts do not have the word "ROLEX" or any of it's trademarks printed on them. There is a big difference. You can purchase an "aftermarket" 18K President bracelet, but there will be no Rolex coronet on the clasp nor any markings on a genuine Rolex bracelet. If the OP had sourced genuine Rolex parts, it would have made a bit of a difference. The watch would still be Rolex and not a Franken watch.

Exactly. “Aftermarket” is a polite word for fake. The OP basically made the face of his watch fake. Or is this a story to sell watches with fake parts?

Makes me wonder if we should be buying watches from Grey market sellers given nobody is buying anything at those outrageous prices.
Old 9 April 2020, 09:51 AM   #127
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

:
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:43 AM   #128
Wck88
Banned

It's really nice though, I would gladly wear it.
Wck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:59 AM   #129
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

To me non genuine parts kills it and totally devalues the watch. Switching it up is o.k providing everything is genuine Rolex.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 11:04 AM   #130
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
If someone wants the look and prefer to mod that's perfectly fine.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 11:10 AM   #131
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
To me non genuine parts kills it and totally devalues the watch. Switching it up is o.k providing everything is genuine Rolex.
This 100%
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:18 PM   #132
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

The only way I'd do this to my sub is if I had genuine bezel insert and dial. Even then I'd think twice because I generally do not like altering how a watch came from the factory.
Old 9 April 2020, 01:44 PM   #133
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfullm42 View Post
Yes, if they were legit Smurf parts, but not aftermarket
Pretty much where I'm at too. I love the look and see nothing wrong with it. I think a lot of the hate is that PM wearers view it as an imposter in their club.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:24 PM   #134
James5599
"TRF" Member

Watch: D blue
As a smurf fan, and hopefully owner at some point , I think what the op created was great and if that’s what the client wants then great. Not my sort of thing though.
It’s kinda like miss badging a car - and that irks me when I spot it.
Living in south London I see lots of M badges on 2 litre diesels. As a petrol head with long ownership history I spot them without even trying!
James5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:51 PM   #135
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by James5599 View Post
Living in south London I see lots of M badges on 2 litre diesels. As a petrol head with long ownership history I spot them without even trying!
Ain’t that the truth!
Number3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 07:04 PM   #136
eonflux
"TRF" Member

I hope Rolex makes a steel Sub with a darker blue dial and bezel
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:20 AM   #137
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I would agree, if the dial is not OEM, then at least that part of the watch is fake, or a copyright infringement at the least.

Here's a question. The client likes the look of the watch.

would he still like the look of the watch if you replace the dial with one that did not have the Rolex symbol on it? Color and other print would be the same. Just no Coronet or the word Rolex.

The owner would still have the satisfaction of knowing that it is a Rolex movement, Rolex case, Rolex bracelet. The only difference would be the dial would not be branded Rolex.

After all, it would have the exact same look.

How much does the Rolex badge play a part in the overall look of the watch? Do you love the quality of the watch, or the status recognition of the name? Probably a little bit of both. But what is that split?
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:52 AM   #138
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
I hope Rolex makes a steel Sub with a darker blue dial and bezel
Yes please. Use the case and bracelet from the SD43 for it with a flat back an I would be in heaven.
Number3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 04:25 AM   #139
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP, are you concerned that you have potentially compromised your integrity as a watch dealer by going public with this modified watch on a worldwide forum? The fact that the watch has been fitted with FAKE, not "aftermarket" parts may hurt you as a businessman in the future. I can personally say I would think twice about doing business with you after seeing the watch and this thread. It might be a bit different if the dial and insert were OEM Rolex parts. But they are not.
I’ve noticed the OP seems to skip the hard hitting questions. Same thing happened in his grey dealer thread, that now mysteriously disappeared.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:17 AM   #140
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepchasing View Post
Did you swap out the bracelet for the PCL's or just polish the center links of original bracelet?
Just had them polished. Its the original bracelet
timepiecegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:21 AM   #141
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
I went half way by adding a genuine WG bezel and blue insert from a 116619 on to my 114060. Thought it was perfect until I managed to rip off the pearl in an accident. Now it has more of a Blueberry vibe!

This looks outstanding and so much better than the “Batman” GMT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:24 AM   #142
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post
It’s got a weird photoshop look at the bottom of the picture.

Also, did you polish the center links?
No photoshop. I just use the Pro settings on my Iphone to focus on the dial and blur the background.

Yes had the center links polished.
Old 13 April 2020, 05:37 AM   #143
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr5738 View Post
All is well but what bothers me is replacing the OEM bezel and dial of the 116610LN with fake parts. What is stopping you to do this with other unsuspecting or not so knowledgeable clients? It would not be caught until the watch goes in for a service to RSC.

We all remember the debacle of “horologyhouse” right?
I was extremely clear in my original post on what took place. I did not attempt to hide anything nor have I ever attempted to hide anything when buying or selling.

What is stopping me from doing this to other unsuspecting clients?

Well, That would be a huge concern after the Horology House scandal (i read about 50 pages of the thread here by the way) but if you hop on over to my Instagram page you will see I'm the same guy that puts out videos on IGTV to show consumers how to spot fakes, how to avoid online scams, how to properly negotiate with secondary market dealers, and even how to work with AD's in getting the SS pieces you want (like I do consistently as a dealer). I go out of my way to help consumers understand what to look for and what to look out for when considering a purchase, not your typical behavior from someone that wants to rip you off.

To answer your question accurately there is nothing that could stop anyone from flipping a switch and going rogue I guess, except I thoroughly enjoy what I do and I try to portray that to my following.
Old 13 April 2020, 05:53 AM   #144
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
Am I worried that after fully disclosing what was done to a watch and stating that this was a personal request from a client that my reputation will be compromised?

NO

If someone chooses not to do business with me because they paid attention to one thing I posted and only pulled the negative aspects (aftermarket parts) from it and ignored the positive (full disclosure, client request, admitting I might get shunned for it) then that's their choice.

I have plenty of positive references here in the forums and zero complaints.

I have an outstanding reputation with my clients which make up about 30% of my business with repeats and referrals. I have an outstanding social media presence where I continually provide value (videos) to people looking for tips on getting into the watch market: A few videos I've done

How to spot fake Rolex boxes - 88,000 views
How to spot a fake ceramic GMT - 40,000 views
How to spot a Fake Vintage Daytona - 6500 views
How to properly ship watches - 13,400 views

If that is not enough for someone to feel comfortable doing business with me then that's ok. There are plenty of verified dealers in here they can work with and plenty of business for everyone.
Old 13 April 2020, 06:00 AM   #145
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I’ve noticed the OP seems to skip the hard hitting questions. Same thing happened in his grey dealer thread, that now mysteriously disappeared.

No sir I have a life outside arguing on a forum.

I've been spending the weekend with my kid on the lake, walking through the park, cooking macaroni and cheese for breakfast, stuff like that.

I prefer to enjoy my days living life not sitting behind a keyboard defending ridiculous assumptions that my reputation precedes anyway.

But he just laid down for a nap so I had a few minutes to check it. I responded to the questions I thought were relevant just above this comment.

Happy Easter Everyone.

Whats on the wrist today?

Old 13 April 2020, 06:15 AM   #146
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_plus1234 View Post
I personally would not put an aftermarket dial or bezel.
Geez, that's an excellent picture! The case / bracelet really has a 'presence' for lack of a better word. Must look outstanding in person. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 09:00 AM   #147
EconTigerOrange
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 MKI
Guess the customer realized they didn’t want a copy as the OP has it for sale now!
EconTigerOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 09:03 AM   #148
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Or may be this whole thread was to create a baseline story to sell this piece?
Old 28 April 2020, 09:08 AM   #149
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Sorry, but it would bother me that it’s not 100% original. Not quite a Franken, but almost there

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 09:42 AM   #150
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2Guy View Post
Tudor is just a sad, sad compromise.

Why not just get a SEIKO?
Nothing wrong with a Tudor or Seiko they are both great timepieces
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote